• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your favorite Michael Douglas movie?

• The China Syndrome

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Romancing the Stone

Votes: 75 21.4%
  • Wall Street

Votes: 32 9.1%
  • Black Rain

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • The Game

Votes: 151 43.1%
  • Traffic

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Other (Basic Instinct, Wonder Boys, Behind the Candelabra etc.)

Votes: 61 17.4%

• Total voters

TableManners

Jan 9, 2024
images
Black Rain just because he's on a cop salary but this is his view from his kitchen window in NYC. Amazing.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
The Ghost and the Darkness might actually be mine.

It's such a a 90's ass 90's movie. Not quite as good or self aware as Congo, Arachnophobia, or Lake Placid, but it's of that ilk and I will have no bad mouthing of it. (Well other than the white saviour and imperialist shit that a modern movie should have been more critical of. That shit felt icky even in the 90's. Yeah it's a true story and the Kilmer character actually killed the lions IRL, but there is no way that dude wasn't a giant racist asshole right?)

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
When does his Ben Franklin movie come out?

I know it cannot have Lin Manuel/Decemberists song but I really would love it to have it.

its a TV show and 3 episodes have already dropped on Apple TV+

tv.apple.com

Watch Franklin - Apple TV+

In December 1776, Benjamin Franklin is world-famous for his electrical experiments. But his passion and power are put to the test when he embarks on a…

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen all of his movies, including some of these options, but my favorite that I've seen was probably Falling Down

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Romancing the Stone was a personal favorite as a kid.

Basic Instinct was a fantastic role for him.

A Perfect Murder is also a real scene-chewing movie for him and the sort of movie I will stop and watch any time it's on (also with a pre-LOTR Viggo Mortensen!).

And of course The Game is fantastic.

TableManners

Jan 9, 2024
Falling Down has some interesting scenes but holy shit does it leave a bad taste in my mouth. Before his 'bad day', Douglas' character has a history of being an abusive sociopath towards his family who is terrified of him. Douglas is good in it but ugh no thanks.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wall Street for me.

Looking at iMDB I noticed a couple of things. One, I have more films I need to watch and two, he was in Liberty Kids. I keep forgetting how stacked that cast was.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
My sentimental favorite is Disclosure. The Game is damn good, though.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The Game is fantastic, and it's the one I've seen most recently because I have a copy. I haven't seen Romancing the Stone in ages, but I remember liking it when I was a kid.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
images
Black Rain just because he's on a cop salary but this is his view from his kitchen window in NYC. Amazing.

This actually makes sense in the context of the movie because in an early scene he gets interviewed by IA because they think he's a dirty cop. "That's a king size nut" is what one of the IA guys (Stephen Root I believe) says to him.

TableManners

Jan 9, 2024
This actually makes sense in the context of the movie because in an early scene he gets interviewed by IA because they think he's a dirty cop. "That's a king size nut" is what one of the IA guys (Stephen Root I believe) says to him.

Oooooh yeah that's right, I forgot about that sub-plot. Jeez he must be raking in the blood money lol

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
It kind of hurt not to vote for Black Rain but The Game is just too damn good.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Falling Down - it's just an iconic character and the first I think of when someone mentions Michael Douglas.

But I also loved The Game & Romancing the stone.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
"The Game," for me, but it's just a great film all around. As I get older, I really miss stuff like this getting theatrical releases.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I like him as an actor, usually very watchable movies. Went with Wall Street but Wonder Boys is also the real answer.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Falling Down if it were on the poll. Out of the choices given, The Game followed closely by Wall Street.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't like him as an actor and can't think of anything he was the star of that I liked.
Not having a go at you but I don't understand why someone would come into a thread that specifically asks for people's favourite role an actor took on just to say you don't like them or anything they've been in? Genuinely curious as to why people do that.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Falling Down is one of those movies that couldn't be clearer about the point, but people still routinely miss it. I do like how convincingly a guy like Michael Douglas - magnetic as hell, with otherworldly charisma and every bit a movie star - transforms into the kind of person you'd cross the street to avoid.

But I think Romancing the Stone is my favorite of his roles, because it's trading on exactly the qualities that something like Falling Down subverts. This guy is a dashing rogue, a pulp romance novel counterpart to Indiana Jones' pulp adventure novel hero. It's a movie that embraces its hot bloodedness, a comedy that knows how sexy its leads are, and runs with that.

Last edited: