• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Inspired by the PS1 / PS2 startup thread! The PS1 is my all time favourite console startup, in particular I have serious nostalgia for the segue into Doom on the PS1.... I get goosebumps thinking about the late night sessions on this outstanding game, this combo of PS1 startup -> Williams -> Doom Menu is magnificent (I used to sit in the dark and listen to the music longer than this youtuber, but you get the gist):

My other favourite for pure nostalgie would be Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive / Genesis, this time including the start of the Green Hill Zone, so SEGA -> Sonic Menu -> Green Hill Zone. It's just 15 or so seconds but for me it's just pure, amazing childhood memories.

Have you guys got any startup -> menu combos that bring back floods of nostalgia?

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
For nostalgia reasons mostly, I'm a big fan of the PSP startup sound, as it was one of the first consoles I really got into.

Objectively speaking though it would have to be the symphonic startup of the PS3 for me. I love orchestra tuning sound generally and I think it was a great idea to use this for a console start up sound, as it has the same connotations of anticipation.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

As an aside, simple things like this give the system a 'personality' and IMHO is missing with the Switch.

Edit: I misread thread. You want the opening system jingle transitioning to a game which would basically eliminate the pre-disc era of consoles?

Last edited:

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
PS1 is nostalgic but nothing tops PS2 in my eyes. That felt like I was being teleported into the game world.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
OG Playstation is the king in my mind. However, I do still appreciate the classic Sega opening.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
I present the absolute GOAT:

PS1 start up sound, Namco shout out and then that amazing CG intro that sits at the top of all intros.

OP
OP
JimNastics

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
PS1 > Konami Jingle > mgs main menu

Ps2 > mgs3 main menu

As an aside, simple things like this give the system a 'personality' and IMHO is missing with the Switch.

Edit: I misread thread. You want the opening system jingle transitioning to a game which would basically eliminate the pre-disc era of consoles?

PS1 is nostalgic but nothing tops PS2 in my eyes. That felt like I was being teleported into the game world.
OG Playstation is the king in my mind. However, I do still appreciate the classic Sega opening.
PS1 or PS2, nothing has ever come close to those in my opinion, I can't pick between them as both are perfect.
PS1 synths have not been beaten so far
Yeah sorry folks I think I've horribly confused everyone to some extent, I'm talking about specific sequences of startup -> developer/publisher screen -> game menu that have nostalgia throwbacks for you, rather than just the console startups themselves.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Man I wanted to do that thread.
But it's Alien Isolation. Console startup doesn't matter, this logo combo is perfect.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah sorry folks I think I've horribly confused everyone to some extent, I'm talking about specific sequences of startup -> developer/publisher screen -> game menu that have nostalgia throwbacks for you, rather than just the console startups themselves.

Ahhh. Well then in that case:

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I could post more but Rare really had some of the best ones on the 90s.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
DreamcastJET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo ➔ Let's get scratchin'Magical Girl

i don't even like playing jet set radio it just has a really good title screen
hideki naganuma please stop tweeting