• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Easy

5C46ABFBF423B725EF17687F78E4CAAE215B9193

The Saboteur by far

After reading that list of criteria, this was also my answer. Nobody mentioning it to this point had me wondering if it was eligible. lol.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Sleeping Dogs easily and it's because it's actually just a better game.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Sleeping Dogs, The Saboteur. Both classics that deserve sequels. I'm also a fan of the first True Crime games, though they need some serious polish (a remaster would be nice).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Simpsons Hit And Run really isn't the GTA clone that people remember it being. It's less open world and more 3x unconnected levels that are laid out like Mario Kart maps rather than explorable spaces.

To answer the question: LEGO City Undercover is my favourite, too. Had me cackling so often.
Hit and Run is a hybrid of GTA 3 and 2 (which was the best one)

It's also just a great fun game

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
JakIIbox.jpg

One of the most impressive PS2 games. The best Jak game. One of the most underappreciated Naughty Dog games. Don't @ me.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Sleeping Dogs is the top one, but I also enjoyed all the Mafia games and Watch Dogs 2.

Edit: Crackdown series should count also, given it's original developer, so that too

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I enjoyed L.A. Noire, if that counts. Been hearing good things about Sleeping Dogs also, but haven't played it myself.

Edit: Actually, could something like The Saboteur be considered a GTA clone? I enjoyed that a lot.

Last edited:

Siri

Nov 7, 2017
Mine is Saint's Row 2.

It struck a good balance between being serious and silly, a lot of the glitches were wonderfully chaotic (I have fond memories of jackknifing a lorry through a bridge during online co-op) and a lot of the activities gave out absolutely busted rewards.

I have a lot of love for 3 and 4, but there was something tangible and grounded about 2 that it derived some deep enjoyment when it did go crazy.

Also: Crackdown 1&2, although they were more open world playgrounds than 'proper' GTA clones after you got a few agility upgrades.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
Lego City, I played through it last year with my son who is 7. He loved it, often laughing at the slap stick humour and really got into collecting all the characters. There were also quite a few jokes aimed at an adult audience.

I have struggled to get motivated to play many games the last few years, but this was a standout playing with my son.

The Shawshank Redemption level is so, so good, we've played it at the release and still revisit the cutscenes from time to time. Just look at this:

View: https://youtu.be/izws3AY23U4?si=q7zHCdRbQ1hCXPsD

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Mafia 3 is probably the best despite the repetition. Saints row 2 did a good job back in the day.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Bully, though Idk. That kinda feels like cheating. It's not actually that much like GTA and it was made by Rockstar themselves.

My more traditional answer is Simpsons: Hit and Run, which honestly plays better to me than GTA3 did.

Apr 14, 2024
The only Saints Row I really liked was 3, so I wouldn't really say I like the franchise as a whole. Mafia is the same way where (and to be fair I haven't played the first but the third was awful) the 2nd is the only one I've enjoyed. I probably will like the first once I get around to it though. Sleeping Dogs though has to get my vote. That game is so underrated, has such a good story, great gameplay, setting, everything. I really wish they made another, but there really isn't a need for a sequel. Maybe just another in the same universe, maybe? Either way it was one of my favorites on the 360 and one of the few remasters I'll play on the newer Xbox's.

BK0X

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Driver games? I enjoyed almost all of them, except for the first one on PS1.
I've never really enjoyed GTA for some reason. So, I'm not sure if my answer counts.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Saints Row 2 was the GOAT until The Game, The Myth, THE LEGEND! Came out:

I did enjoy other clones as well, like Watch Dogs 1, Scarface or Godgather 2.

Mafia series... honestly I wouldn't classify it as a GTA clone, cities in those games were more as settings for the story rather than something you explore and engage in various side-activities (3 is the obvious exception, and that was its worst part). That being said, absolutely loved all 3 Mafia games.

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 is probably my favourite game in the whole sub-genre outside of GTAV. I love the whole cast, I love the city, the on-foot gameplay is excellent, the way the systems interact is fantastic and I really like the driving model. I would absolutely love a proper Watch Dogs 3 with the same cast and same kind of tone and energy as I think it was so well done and just a game world I enjoy being in.

Outside of that I really like Sleeping Dogs - largely for its thoroughly excellent hand-to-hand combat, and although it's going for very different things I think Mad Max is excellent too. There's something about the game world in Mad Max which feels really thoughtfully designed and the driving model is really excellent (better than these other games I have mentioned).

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Sleeping Dogs is a triple threat of an iconic setting, unforgettable protagonist, and novel approach to gameplay. On paper it's not really exceptional in any way, but it's so smartly put together that it is just a genuine pleasure to play that could have grown into its own thing had it gotten sequels. It's a really remarkable game and it's a crime we never got a sequel.

I miss you, Wei Shen.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Saints Row 2 is the best that actually seemed like it was trying to be a GTA clone. Sleeping Dogs is the best overall imo but I really loved the Getaway games even if they were flawed and clunky. Those don't really feel like GTA games though.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
Hot take: If Sleepy Dogs had been released under the True Crime moniker we might be still getting True Crime titles to this day. Sure, the other True Crime games were not very good, but Sleepy Dogs is just not a name that can carry a francise, which is a shame

OceanSky

Nov 22, 2021
I have good memories of playing Sleeping Dogs in summer 2012. I still remember the live action of the trailer of game, which was playing in the background of the installation window.

For anyone wondering, the soundtrack's name is Sleepwalking. Still sad the sequel cancelled.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hated Saint's Row 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 rule.

Sleeping Dogs is great. Still plays amazingly well.

Really would love a Saboteur sequel too.

No love for True Crime: Streets of LA?