Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but like... complain about the actual heinous stuff when it comes? Nothing's even been announced yet, so any argument about what's to come is pointless because we literally don't know what's to come. Maybe they add those Redbull costumes from a while back for free while letting you wear them AND earn fight money doing it. There's no reason to believe they'd do that, but both of us are working on no info here.

Complaining when it's too late doesn't help anyone, again horse armor is a prime example. You can find a ton of people who regret buying it cause they realize how it shaped the microtransaction future even though they thought it was harmless in the beginning.

How people react to this will directly affect SF6. If people are okay with this small change you better bet SF6 will push it even further.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it offensive that what was a full priced release is now stained deep within its core like that.

I know you can turn those off, but come on, I mean, come the fuck on.

The principle of that game was to survive based on its own microtransaction system, now this?

Capcom should just hold the fucking L and let people enjoy the game at their loss instead of pushing shits that make them even more of a joke like that. And hell, what loss am I talking about? Isn't the game a success now? That makes things even worse lol.

Last edited:

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Complaining when it's too late doesn't help anyone, again horse armor is a prime example. You can find a ton of people who regret buying it cause they realize how it shaped the microtransaction future.
Yeah, but the horse armor was actually super trivial. Like, AFAIK people actually didn't mind the horse armor itself. I mean look at Fortnite. It has a ton of microtransactions that noone seems to care about because they actually like the game. Granted, it's F2P, but nothing says any hypothetical game that has this stuff forced onto you wouldn't be as well.

And I really doubt that "complaining when it's too late doesn't help anyone." Look at the Battlefront controversy- that got changed. Look at the Fallout CE controversy- that got changed. Look at the SFV rootkit- that got removed almost immediately. You think Capcom has enough good PR to keep screwing up and have people buy their product? If they push too far, the next SF game will sell even worse than this one.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
It's good that I can turn it off. But I dislike the precedent. How long till we have to buy special premium 100 dollars editions to get an ad-less verison?

And don't give me "slippery slope falacy" BS, spend more than 5 minutes researching video game history. Every single monetization system have gotten worse and more intrusive, it's not a slipperly slope argument, it's basic pattern recognition

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but the horse armor was actually super trivial .

If you're saying this you're really understating what happened. As an item it was trivial, as a new method of extracting money out of consumers it was a turning point in gaming, and to most for the worse.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game was F2P I wouldn't care.

But my god even without that, the implementation here is too gaudy. Plastering stuff on character outfits is too far.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Capcom deserve the benefit of the doubt here? This is the company that put rootkits on people's PCs.

Should we just wait until they've gone too far before voicing our displeasure with the things they're doing?
Voice your displeasure all you like, It will still be the same overreacting that i keep seeing in every capcom thread. Turn it off ignore it and be done with it.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes no difference to me at all, I find its existence hilarious if anything.

Edit: Do people REALLY think that Capcom will make it mandatory in SF6? Did you guys forget SF5's launch? Capcom is a corporate that actually wants to increase their revenue, I know that the meme is that they're dumb, but they're not, they'll keep implementing ideas that generate revenue for the next game as long as they doesn't cause an outrage enough to make SF6 somehow sell even worse than SF5 did. It's good to see people calling them out on this, that being said!

Last edited:

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
It's a good idea and one that could work well if implemented properly. Plus it's optional so really it's not an issure at all.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Its really bad and could have been done better.

They shouldn't have stuck to only the default costumes for characters. They should have used alternate costumes where the logos make more sense and don't look tacky.

But I still don't see the outrage. You can literally disable it and carry on playing the game like it was before. The hate seems to be blown out of proportion.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I just realized what's so off-putting about this specific implementation to me.

The Capcom Pro Tour exists in part to advertise Street Fighter. It's an ad campaign for a product. It keeps the game prominently featured at tournaments and on streaming platforms, and therefore keeps it present in the public eye for more potential purchases.

But advertising the CPT within Street Fighter... makes no sense. It's an ad campaign for an ad campaign. Anyone playing the game has already bought in.

The whole thing comes off weird and backwards as a result, even without the tackiness of the actual "costumes" factored in.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The implementation is whatever, but I think this is a clever way for monetization. Better this than gameplay affecting stuff.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017

They shouldn't have stuck to only the default costumes for characters. They should have used alternate costumes where the logos make more sense and don't look tacky.

But I still don't see the outrage. You can literally disable it and carry on playing the game like it was before. The hate seems to be blown out of proportion.
A lot of the controversy is coming from videos like this.

Just a bunch of misinformation and people not knowing what the fuck they are talking about. This is tacky, but thats about it.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the controversy is coming from videos like this.

Just a bunch of misinformation and people not knowing what the fuck they are talking about. This is tacky, but thats about it.

One of my friends told me people in his gaming circle actually believed that video ( they are non-native english speakers , so they didn't get the sarcasm ) and actually thought Capcom was adding Ads mid game and Ads on lifebars. Its very stupid for people to spread misinformation like that , I don't get what it is that makes people hate SFV so much. There are many people i talk to that think you can't disable the ads.

I get the complaining because the feature is honestly quite badly implemented , but intentionally spreading false shit and making it out way worse than it is is pretty fuked up. I love how some people are adding the twist that not getting some paltry 12FM is "Punishment" for not enabling ads.

I still don't get the hate for FM , when literally every other Fighting game out there forces you to buy a season pass and gives no other option.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty pathetic tbh.

They are probably testing stuff they are thinking of doing in SF6.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized what's so off-putting about this specific implementation to me.

The Capcom Pro Tour exists in part to advertise Street Fighter. It's an ad campaign for a product. It keeps the game prominently featured at tournaments and on streaming platforms, and therefore keeps it present in the public eye for more potential purchases.

But advertising the CPT within Street Fighter... makes no sense. It's an ad campaign for an ad campaign. Anyone playing the game has already bought in.

The whole thing comes off weird and backwards as a result, even without the tackiness of the actual "costumes" factored in.

I assume all the CPT logos are placeholders for other company logos when they buy the in-game ad space.

The UI should have a CPT news/event hub in-game elsewhere, though regardless of this mess.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This almost seems like a parody... swapping the American flag for a logo, putting logos in a way, where they seem like everywhere, but are actually not legible in game.

The whole thing is STRANGE.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I assume all the CPT logos are placeholders for other company logos when they buy the in-game ad space.
That would be the logical next step, yes.

I don't think Capcom gains much from advertising the CPT itself, and like you said, there should be more robust in-game news about the CPT elsewhere anyway.

Like I can't think of a specific reason for them to do this other than to test the userbase's tolerance for the concept itself.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Reminds me of the time they put ads on the loading screen of Wipeout HD (making the loading screens even longer). That didn't last long but I don't trust Capcom to reign it in.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I guess I have the same feeling I have about the Xbox dash. If the ads pertain to their own content, I'm fine with it.

It only becomes kinda gross when the ads are unrelated to Capcom/Microsoft's own stuff.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit! That is horrible! LOL

Hopefully Capcom gets a ton of shit and removes this. This is just awful!!! Yikes!

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
The only upsides here are that its optional (for now) and nothing substantials gated behind it (for now). Everything about how its implimented feels rushed. That loading screen background is just the same logo copy/pasted as many times as they could squeeze in there and the characters not much different in this regard. And as I understand it this whole thing applies only to online play, so they're milking their whales and not casual single-player only peeps like myself. Not that I'm complaining on that part.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but the horse armor was actually super trivial. Like, AFAIK people actually didn't mind the horse armor itself. I mean look at Fortnite. It has a ton of microtransactions that noone seems to care about because they actually like the game. Granted, it's F2P, but nothing says any hypothetical game that has this stuff forced onto you wouldn't be as well.

And I really doubt that "complaining when it's too late doesn't help anyone." Look at the Battlefront controversy- that got changed. Look at the Fallout CE controversy- that got changed. Look at the SFV rootkit- that got removed almost immediately. You think Capcom has enough good PR to keep screwing up and have people buy their product? If they push too far, the next SF game will sell even worse than this one.

Horse armour wasn't trivial, in retrospect it is because things have got so much worse where we now look back and laugh, which is how these companies sneak in bullshit practices take two steps too far so 1 step too far is acceptable.

Even if we isolate horse armour to just Bethsada what used to be a free DLC update on PC is now a paid mod today.

And as much as I've been singing Capcom's praises in recent years with Monster Hunter World and Resident Evil 7 after a history of on disc DLC and locking endings to games behind a paywall they're like a druggy on a relapse with DMC5 having MTX and apparently Resi 2 Remake (?) they're starting to slip back into doing stupid things.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Capcom linked costume ads to stage/loading ads. You can't turn off costume ads without turning everything off, which is a shame because the loading/stage ads aren't nearly as offensively obtrusive as the costume ads.
Oh, they can fuck right off then, I was planning to leave VS screen and stage ads on, but if it's all linked then nah, not gonna put up with that shit.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, they can fuck right off then, I was planning to leave VS screen and stage ads on, but if it's all linked then nah, not gonna put up with that shit.

I dont know what the person you quoted is talking about. You can choose which kind of Ads you want to disable. The costume ads is on one specific costume the "Ad style" one.

Oct 25, 2017

Let's see whether it increases load times when your opponent has them turned on and you don't before we decide that it's harmless because you can just turn it off.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how anyone can look at this industry, it's history of monetization practices and think it's a fallacy.

Each action is a separate entity unto itself. I don't think you can fight hypothetical future policies by attacking current policies that are harmless. Capcom knows what happens when they cross the line. Fans didn't roll over with Street Fighter X Tekken. They most likely won't try that approach again. I'm not particularly concerned that they are going to go off the rails any time soon.

If these advertisements become mandatory I will happily criticize Capcom alongside everyone else. However, I'm not willing to get angry over something that is one hundred percent optional.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so I can still earn extra FM if I don't go for the costumes?

Yea from the Loading screen and Stages.

Let's see whether it increases load times when your opponent has them turned on and you don't before we decide that it's harmless because you can just turn it off.

It doesn't iirc. Previously there would be a white flash in the loading screen , Capcom just put an Ad there instead.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'd only be ok with something like that in a f2p game. But it has to fit inside the game instead of being random popups or something annoying

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Yeah, but like... complain about the actual heinous stuff when it comes? Nothing's even been announced yet, so any argument about what's to come is pointless because we literally don't know what's to come. Maybe they add those Redbull costumes from a while back for free while letting you wear them AND earn fight money doing it. There's no reason to believe they'd do that, but both of us are working on no info here.

1F47zAv.gif