Confusatron

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
On a Saturday (or maybe a Sunday) in December of 1993, my mom left the house for the day in the morning. I can't remember if she was going to work, or going shopping. But what my little brother and I did know was that she wouldn't be home until that evening. We had the house to ourselves for hours and hours. And our Christmas loot was completely unprotected.

We had been pestering her for months to get us a Sega CD. 16-bit cartridge graphics and MIDI sound weren't good enough anymore. We needed pixelated FMV intros and poorly aligned redbook audio. We pulled out all of the stops. Every article we could find on the Sega CD and its games got clipped out of EGM and Gamepro, and glued into a college ruled brochure that we put together for her, to help her understand just how important it was that we should be on the cutting edge of this new technology. But more importantly than that, we wore her down. Day after day for months, most days multiple times per day. She didn't stand a chance.

So there we were. She was gone. We had been told to go to our rooms as large shopping bags had come into the house. The loot was here, we could smell it. And there were only so many places she could hide it. The worst case scenario would be the attic. Neither of us were sure how to get up there or what to expect if we did get up there. So we naively checked under her bed. No luck. Then we went to her closet. We dug our way back into the corner, past all of the girl stuff like long dresses and shoes. And there it was. A large Toys R Us bag. Bingo!

My brother was still pretty young, and I wasn't much older. But I was old enough to realize we were playing with fire here and we needed to be careful not to leave any tracks. We pulled the bag out of the closet and agreed to document what was where inside of the bag. Because of course my mom had done the same and she would know if anything within the bag was slightly askew. Fortunately for us, there wasn't much to document. Inside of that bag were two boxes: a Sega CD and Lunar: The Silver Star.

So now we knew we were getting it. We could rest easy and count down the days to Christmas morning. One. Second. At. A. Time. But we couldn't really do that. We had to play it. Our Genesis was in my room, hooked up to a small CRT that we had owned for as long as I could remember. That TV was so old, the Genesis was hooked up to is using a VHF adapter. That just wouldn't do for state of the art Sega CD games. So we moved the Genesis to the living room TV. And we dragged out the Sega CD box. We carefully opened the packaging and removed the Sega CD from the packaging, along with Sewer Shark, the pack-in game. We couldn't wait to play Sewer Shark. The entire game was interactive FMV. The future! We hooked up the Genesis to the Sega CD and loaded Sewer Shark into the top-loader and had our minds blown! For a few minutes, anyway.

In hindsight, Sewer Shark isn't a very good game. It certainly hasn't aged well. (Note: if you grew up in the years after the Sega CD and you haven't had the chance to experience Sewer Shark, spend a few minutes checking out what passed for mind blowing in 1993, if you get the opportunity). And it didn't take us long to realize we needed more. We needed Lunar. But we had a problem. The cellophane packaging. We had to get through that cleanly, leaving no trace. I had an exacto knife and that was the answer. My brother and I were able to make some clean cuts into the cellophane, slicing off the bottom of the packaging cleanly and sliding the CD case out.

We spent the rest of the day playing Lunar. We were already big RPG fans. We loved Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior (Quest). We knew we'd love Lunar and it didn't disappoint. I can't remember how far along we got. I do remember that we put in several hours.

The entire time we were playing, I was watching the clock. I knew that around 4pm, we'd have to pack it all back up and put it back where we had found it. We managed to slide Lunar back into the cellophane (hoping my mom wouldn't notice the missing side). The Genesis got disconnected from the Sega CD and moved back into the bedroom. The Sega CD went back into the box, the box back into the Toys R Us bag, the bag back into my mom's closet.

That evening, my mom got back home. We played it cool. Looking back, we were never terribly concerned that we would get caught. My brother and I were sure we would get away with it. When I knew my mom was wrapping the presents (we were ordered into our rooms, having done nothing wrong), I was slightly nervous. But she said nothing.

On Christmas morning, we put on an acting clinic. We were both so surprised and excited to get a Sega CD and Lunar! We tore right into Lunar and started playing it immediately. We started from scratch, so that we wouldn't give anything away (because surely my mom knew the game was supposed to start in Burg). That game was not shut down for two days straight, not until we had beaten it in a single sitting.

In hindsight, it's amazing we even got a Sega CD. My family was not of means, but my mom always managed to pull out all of the stops for us. We were incredibly lucky. I still think of this story today, when I think about the crazy stuff my brother and I would do. Most of the time, we got caught. But this time, we didn't just pull it off, we nailed it. To this day, my mom has no idea.

So Era, I shared my story. What's yours? Holidays, birthdays, anything else fun to share!

Thanks to mattiewheels for the thread idea. This was originally a short post in Lunar: The Silver Star was released 28 years ago (Dec 1, 1993) for Sega CD .

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I asked my mum for the Zelda collection on Gamecube for Xmas. This was the version with OoT and MM along with Zelda 1 & 2 and a demo of WW, that they were only giving away with new consoles as part of a bundle

latest

I didn't expect her to get it, but on Xmas day, she had somehow managed to obtain a copy

I asked her how she got it, and how much she paid for it

She told me she saw a lorry outside Game unloading stock and she saw a stack of the Zelda collections alongside the holiday bundles and asked the lorry driver if he'd sell her one copy of the game. He shrugged and just said "take one" and just gave it to her

I remember at the time they were going on eBay for £60 plus (this was when a new game in the UK was about £35/£40) so the fact she managed to nab one for free was amazing

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In hindsight, it's amazing we even got a Sega CD. My family was not of means, but my mom always managed to pull out all of the stops for us. We were incredibly lucky. I still think of this story today, when I think about the crazy stuff my brother and I would do. Most of the time, we got caught. But this time, we didn't just pull it off, we nailed it. To this day, my mom has no idea.

Call your mom and tell her how much you love her. Just think about it how clearly you remember all of that. Does she even still know how much that meant to you guys? Tell her once again. I've grown up with my parents just having enough money for us to have food on the table and me not noticing much, but both of them flipped coins thrice if they could and then there was me always wanting to have the newest consoles and everything and annoying them for months. In hindsight that was super mean and stressful which is why I repay everything back nowadays when they need something or just tell them how much that meant to everything to me.

I always found my presents but was too afraid of opening up before. That changed a little bit with the PS2 and all when my dad always went with me shopping so that I got the things I wanted. He even made sure that I get every game early so he befriended people in the shops and talked them into giving him games early.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Good story OP, though I feel kind of bad for your mom that you would 'betray' her trust like that. Betray is a really strong word and it's really not that bad, but I would have never dreamed of doing this (hunting for presents before the actual present opening moment).

I did something worse actually, but I'm still so ashamed about it that I can't talk about it here.

Call your mom and tell her how much you love her.

OP should totally do this. And so should I.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The only time anything remotely like this has ever happened is that I managed to convince my mom to get me Guitar Hero 3 for my birthday like a month early. This is because Super Smash Bros. Brawl released like, less than a week before my birthday that year. Brawl was and still is my most anticipated game ever, and literally everyone who knew me knew this at the time because I wouldn't stop talking about how excited I was. I told my mom that if she got my Guitar Hero then I probably wouldn't really play it because I'd be too busy with Brawl, so she agreed it made sense for her to just buy it for me then.

I also remember discovering a box of colored pencils that we were going to get for Christmas when I was like, six or something, and getting to use them early because by the time that we realized they were a Christmas gift it was already open. My mom, who got us the gift, was right there when this happened. Not gaming related though, obviously. I think that happening is probably the impetus to my mom being very prudent with hiding gifts from then on, which is why it never happened with anything gaming related.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I know I did this as a kid at least once, but it must have been with stuff that didn't have any plastic wrap because I wouldn't have wanted to bother replacing it. The big takeaway from it was that it was crazy how little effort went into hiding the presents, and I actually remember years where I would hunt the presents down just for sport, lol.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
I found a copy of Castlevania: Circle of the moon my dad got off eBay for Christmas (same year it came out), was getting the GBA at the same time so not like I could play it yet, but had a good read of the instruction book

OP
OP
Confusatron

Confusatron

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Call your mom and tell her how much you love her. Just think about it how clearly you remember all of that. Does she even still know how much that meant to you guys? Tell her once again. I've grown up with my parents just having enough money for us to have food on the table and me not noticing much, but both of them flipped coins thrice if they could and then there was me always wanting to have the newest consoles and everything and annoying them for months. In hindsight that was super mean and stressful which is why I repay everything back nowadays when they need something or just tell them how much that meant to everything to me.

I always found my presents but was too afraid of opening up before. That changed a little bit with the PS2 and all when my dad always went with me shopping so that I got the things I wanted. He even made sure that I get every game early so he befriended people in the shops and talked them into giving him games early.
That is a fantastic idea, Mendrox . I will do that today. I think we're past the statute of limitations.

Good story OP, though I feel kind of bad for your mom that you would 'betray' her trust like that. Betray is a really strong word and it's really not that bad, but I would have never dreamed of doing this (hunting for presents before the actual present opening moment).
We didn't really see it that way, but I can understand how you would come to that. To my brother and I, it was all about the big win. And this was the biggest win we ever scored.

I know I did this as a kid at least once, but it must have been with stuff that didn't have any plastic wrap because I wouldn't have wanted to bother replacing it. The big takeaway from it was that it was crazy how little effort went into hiding the presents, and I actually remember years where I would hunt the presents down just for sport, lol.
Exactly! It was a sport!

I asked my mum for the Zelda collection on Gamecube for Xmas. This was the version with OoT and MM along with Zelda 1 & 2 and a demo of WW, that they were only giving away with new consoles as part of a bundle

I didn't expect her to get it, but on Xmas day, she had somehow managed to obtain a copy

I asked her how she got it, and how much she paid for it

She told me she saw a lorry outside Game unloading stock and she saw a stack of the Zelda collections alongside the holiday bundles and asked the lorry driver if he'd sell her one copy of the game. He shrugged and just said "take one" and just gave it to her

I remember at the time they were going on eBay for £60 plus (this was when a new game in the UK was about £35/£40) so the fact she managed to nab one for free was amazing
What a lucky break! I don't think I've ever had that kind of luck.

I found a copy of Castlevania: Circle of the moon my dad got off eBay for Christmas (same year it came out), was getting the GBA at the same time so not like I could play it yet, but had a good read of the instruction book
I miss that new video game instruction book smell... that's weird, isn't it?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I meant to post in this thread last year, so I have been saving a bump for a more appropriate time. I am pretty shocked to see it was not too active! This is a really fun topic and I am sure even the most well behaved children have gotten the urge to take a few looks ahead of the holidays.

For me there was not many places my mother could hide presents ahead of time and we usually were quite poor so she just trusted me to not tamper with the limited wrapped gifts. I usually never did but she eventually figured that hiding video games inside bundles of clothes or reusing boxes from other packages would throw me off the scent. When I figured that out I made an effort to focus down on gifts that were clearly NOT video game boxes. One time I hit a serious jackpot with an unused pizza box filled with like four Game Boy Advance games. I was so bold that I actually took one of the carts to school with me. Almost got it taken away from one of the teachers at one point too, that would have been a disaster!

A friend of mine growing up was so bad with peeking that eventually the parents would put the presents in his uncle's house. There was a weekend my friend came over to spend the night but apparently planned it around a period that he knew his uncle would not be home so he could sneak in (technically not breaking and entering because he had a spare key, but it still felt icky!). We walked for like almost two hours to get to his uncle's house. I still have no idea why I agreed to it because I was spooked out of my mind over the concept. He got a PlayStation with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater that he forever let me play whenever I wanted after that Christmas came.

Oct 25, 2017
My mom was a bible thumper who wouldn't let me play games like Zelda because it had a witch in it. When I was a kid, I saved up money from mowing lawns to buy Final Fantasy Tactics, which she threw in the trash before I could play it because "all of the characters are sexy women" based on the back of the box:
zWO3op6.jpg

In winter of 2000, I devised a plan to get Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast because I knew it wouldn't be possible to get by traditional means. Here's how I did it.

We went out as a family to buy gifts. We dropped my mom off at the mall with my brother and I went with my dad to Toys R Us and picked out a game. My parents gave up on trying to buy the right game after the Nintendo 64 came out. I got to choose one, and that was it.

He bought it, but I knew that my mom was going to check the game and she was going to take one look and make him return it. The game had two female characters on the cover AND 'suggestive themes' on the T for Teen rating. It even mentions "spell effects" which would indicate magic, which would be another reason I couldn't have it. There's no way this would fly.
UhRdtWp.jpg

But I came prepared. Before we even left the house, I hid the back cover insert of Front Mission 3 in the seatback pocket in the minivan:
kgMVzA1.jpg

It would be the perfect replacement. No magic. No suggestive themes. But it was a T for Teen game. It didn't matter that it was for a different platform and by a different publisher.

My dad drove back to the mall to pick up my mom and brother. I had a few precious minutes alone. I made the swap. I unsealed the game, stashed the cellophane in the cigarette lighter compartment, removed the Skies of Arcadia back cover insert and hid it under the floor mats in the car, and replaced it with Front Mission 3's.

The rest of the family arrived. My mom inspected our purchase. She looked at the cover:
Hc2I7V8.jpg

"You let him buy this?" she scowled at my Dad.
"He said you'd be okay with it"

She checked the back cover. T for Teen, but only for animated violence. She didn't notice that it was for an entirely different game.

She removed the disc to look at the inlay:
qmxZ2fN.jpg

"The robot gun looks like a penis." She is the only person in history to ever think this.

She inspected the back of the box again.

"It says there's email. I don't want you to email anyone."
qYd4cXD.png

I agreed not to email anyone, and she reluctantly accepted the game.

Two weeks later I unwrapped a weird Frankenstein box that was Skies of Arcadia up front and Front Mission 3 in the back. By Christmas night I was enjoying every pixel and every frame of those suggestive themes, and no one could stop me.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
4d204268-16ad-4504-b676-84faf2e15ec1_1.8bd817761037a066f6aa1adcb6a79e1a.jpeg

Nothing video game-related, but this reminded me that when I was 8 or 9, I knew I was getting the Soundwave Transformer for Christmas, and I also knew that my mom "hid" it in a moving box in the master bedroom. Whenever I was left alone to watch my little sister, I'd go in there, open it, play with it, and then carefully repackage it before she got home. This happened several times before Christmas. I think my parents were a little confused (maybe) that I already knew how to transform it without having to read the instructions. I probably just told them a friend at school had it too. LOL

Even with all of that, it's one of my most memorable gifts, and is still my all-time favorite Transformer.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I couldn't read beyond the lines "but we knew we had to play it". The hell and fury I would have caught had I tried to fuck around with that idea made me cringe into another universe... The best story I got was waking up at like 3am the year I was asking for a Sega Genesis. It was Christmas morning and I was awake, therefore it was time for presents. So I opened my Genesis, set everything up (my dad was impressed that I set it up without his help) and got to work on Sonic 2. My dad eventually woke up early to be there when we woke up and noticed my stuff was missing. I caught a lot of flak for that. I had to tear it all down and put it back in the box and go to bed for another few hours (I wasn't able to sleep and the wait was excruciating). It's still one of my favorite Christmas memories.

OP
OP
Confusatron

Confusatron

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
FarflungMaleLeonberger-size_restricted.gif

I am so glad to see this thread come back to life. Mostly because it lets me know I'm not the only Christmas criminal out there.

I don't know how it was in other families. But in mine, it was a bit of a cat-and-mouse game. My mom knew we were going to snoop. But she never knew how far my brother and I were prepared to take it. Good to know others were also willing to unwrap, play the games (or with Soundwave), then put it all back together. The Skies of Arcadia heist sounds particularly daring!

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
One year a few weeks before Christmas I found a receipt lying around that showed my parents bought a GBA, now I have quite a few siblings but I was the only one it could have been for. There was a game store walking distance from my school and I was able to sneakily buy Castlevania COTM with my paper route money before the holidays. No one batted an eye when I was playing it while we visited family on Christmas day etc (I guess they assumed it came with a game, since I didn't get anything else that year).

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
FarflungMaleLeonberger-size_restricted.gif

I am so glad to see this thread come back to life. Mostly because it lets me know I'm not the only Christmas criminal out there.

I don't know how it was in other families. But in mine, it was a bit of a cat-and-mouse game. My mom knew we were going to snoop. But she never knew how far my brother and I were prepared to take it. Good to know others were also willing to unwrap, play the games (or with Soundwave), then put it all back together. The Skies of Arcadia heist sounds particularly daring!
Did you ever tell your mom about your story?