• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Hidden object games, if they count as their own genre. First person shooters, if not. I like local multiplayer in FPS games a lot, but I can't get very interested in them otherwise aside from very few exceptions.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
If i had power i d ban Tell tale games from releasing another interactive comic labeled as game. Their products i truly hate.

MAybe hate s too strong word but i avoid:
- stealth
- mobas
- jrpgs and turn based combat
- fighters. Used to lvoe them as kid, tekken 3 etc., not anymore.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't exactly hate sports games; it's more like I feel nothing for them. That being said I did recently pick up an old Mega Drive and a pile of games, and the irritation I felt when I found about 90% were sports games was very real.

I find most simulators to be pretty tedious too.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Sports. Platformers.

I could see the appeal of a sports game if you like sports, but platformers? Just walkin' around and jumpin'? Ugh.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
First Person

not that i hate it...but i generally not interested to any game that first person view is their main primary gameplay

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Real-time strategy, and by extension, MOBA.

I play very little sports games, too, but I do occasionally enjoy one. I used to enjoy arcade sports games a ton back in the day, like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz. I want to get MLB 18 The Show and bought MLB 17 The Show last year, the latter of which was the first sports game I had bought since NHL 10 in 2009. I don't watch any sports, but I was a NBA and MLB fan as a little kid, and I sometimes dip my toes in sports games because I sometimes feel like they make for interesting video game experiences with a lot of deep strategies and considerations that kinda don't exist in other games.

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
Can't say I "hate" a genre, but racing games like Forza and so on are just too boring for me.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Do Dungeons & Dragons inspired games count as a genre? I'm fine with a top-down, isometric or 2.5D view but by God I hate those D&D games!

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I think it's fair to say I legitimately "hate" these genres: flash games where you can beat up celebrities, and surgery games that target children as their audience.

But to be a little more in the spirit of things, yeah I'm not super great at realistic driving games or stealth either.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Walking Simulators

Be it Gone Home, Firewatch or whatever, none of these games do much for me. They're often made fairly cheaply and the gameplay in most of these games way too often is almost non-existent. And that's what I don't understand. I think a good designer could easily make a Walking Simulator that's a bit more like INSIDE or something like that, but we haven't seen that yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like card games, gacha games, and RTS games. Hate is such a strong word. I appreciate the genres for existing but can't stand playing any of them.

phobos

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joining the moba and tower defence dislike crowd. I do like regular RTS games very much though. I'm also not a big fan of the "loot shooter" genre.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Puzzles. I don't have the patience to figure them out. But it's fine if they are in a dedicated puzzle game - I can just choose not to buy them.
Puzzles suddenly appearing in other genres is just all-around awful though.

Luvlaskan

Oct 31, 2017
I figured out there's games I like in every genre these days. But if we're getting really specific I don't think singleplayer FPS games with hitscan enemies work. As combat systems they are bad. Unless attacks are heavily telegraphed like HL1 vortigaunts. So I guess that rules out most modern shooters.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate any genre, but one trend I could never understand as I've found all games boring is MOBAs. The only one I enjoyed to an extent is Battleborn, a couple hours in the beta, lost interest quick. The old DOTA mod, LoL, and DOTA2 all bored me to death. Smite was at least slightly more enjoyable, but still not something I would want to play for more than an hour. Like, I get the genre, I grew up on RTSs and I'm okay with action RPGs. Strategy, class-based stuff is fine by me. It's just that moment-to-moment gameplay of MOBAs isn't exciting to me, pushing with mobs, attacking AI towers, farming on AI enemies to become stronger. When you encounter a player that is similar to your level it's fun-ish, but "clicker" action is just not as exciting to me as FPS, TPS, etc.. And with the matches often lasting a long time, chances are I am bored well before any of the teams fall. I understand what's going on with it, I just don't find it fun. I don't hate it, if anything I hated the fact a lot of great devs "wasted" their talent (from my tastes' point of view) on following that train.

Which makes me understand people who hate the Battle Royale trend. I personally enjoy that gameplay, but I can understand why people hate the fact talented devs like Treyarch, DICE, Massive, Epic, Rockstar, etc. are "wasting" their time on following this trend. I've been there with MOBAs so I totally get it.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate any genre but sometimes I don't do enough research into what I'm getting into with a game and then it turns out that it has strong platformer elements to it and I'm not comfortable playing those. FP, TP, 3D or 2D, doesn't matter. I will get stuck and I will get annoyed and then I quit the game. :p

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Basically all multiplayer oriented genres (except Rocket League :D ), Battle royale, MOBAs, GaaS, F2P, games for twitchers - all that shit.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Team based sports games. Unless it's something crazy like NBA Street I'm not gonna brother. I don't care for the sports in real life so I don't care about them in games either.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Turn based strategy games

And now i have started disliking FPS genre and walking sim genre as well. FPS coz games with low FOV gives me headcahe on consoles.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting.

I've tried repeatedly over decades to get into various series but it just feels like too much work to learn to play properly and still tutorials in these games are garbage.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Since nobody has said this yet, I'll say sports. (wink)
But honestly, Sports, Moba, Racing, SRPG. Not my cup of tea.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I physically can't stand FPSes. As in actually physically. I think it's motion sickness, they make me feel nauseous and give me a headache for some reason

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Never could get into MOBA's. Just never felt fun to me, no matter how much a Game tweaked the genre trappings.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Sports games are really good you guys...

I very much dislike MOBA and RTS games. MOBAs are impenetrable and everyone I've ever spoken to who plays absolutely hates the game, themselves, and the fact that they throw so much time and money at it, so that's a bad look. RTS... I've never actually played one, but it seems like it would be a very stressful experience that I wouldn't enjoy.