• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • Happy New Year, everyone!

Top game lists have been done to death on the internet but some topics still manage to get overlooked, like the 1970s. It was a groundbreaking decade for video games. While I think most people would agree that its genres were surpassed in the '80s, that doesn't mean there isn't stuff worth playing today both for gameplay and historical value.

One thing that sucks about trying to compare '70s games is that it's impossible to have access to playing everything. A lot of mainframe games remain lost. A lot of arcade games are super rare now and many haven't been emulated. And with some that are emulated, I don't feel I can properly judge them without real hardware (like the Triple Hunt gun games).

Also, many games are hard to determine release dates circa 1979/1980. Atari's Adventure is a significant game and we don't even know for sure what decade it hit stores. See this blog post covering that topic -blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2012/07/adventure-game-released-in-year-of.html1

I'm not sure how to rank dedicated consoles either. For example, the Radio Shack TV Scoreboard has a mix of tennis and light gun games but does it count as one sports compilation or multiple games?

Anyway, here's my current top 20:

1. Asteroids (Atari, Arcade)
ast.jpg

2. Monaco GP (Sega, Arcade)
Last time I checked, this still hadn't been emulated in MAME but it's available in Sega Ages: Memorial Selection 2 for Saturn. And there's a homebrew PC version based on the arcade version called Monaco GP Remake.
monaco.jpg

3. Colossal Cave Adventure AKA Adventure (Crowther/Woods, PDP)
Prior to the re-discovery a few years ago of Peter Langston's Wander engine games dating as far back as 1974, this was widely considered to be the first text adventure. You can play at AMC's website since it appears in Halt and Catch Fire (great show, too!).http://www.amc.com/shows/halt-and-catch-fire/exclusives/colossal-cave-adventure
adv.jpg

4. Star Raiders (Atari, 400/800)
There were space shooters before it that did action well or simulation well but this was the game that successfully merged the two styles.
star-r.gif

5. Space Invaders (Taito, Arcade)
space-inv.gif

6. Combat (Atari, VCS)
I like other '70s tank games like arcade Tank, Panzer Attack on Bally, Armored Encounter on Odyssey2, and Armor Battle on Intellivision but Combat is the most satisfying one. The controls and variations give it an edge.
comb.gif

7. Bomb Bee (Namco, Arcade)
Breakout meets pinball. It's the sequel to Gee Bee and predecessor to Cutie Q.
bomb.png

8. Super Breakout (Atari, VCS)
Even with fancier games in the genre over the past decades, this still holds up nicely. Block Buster on Microvision deserves a mention as well for a similar experience on a cartridge portable a decade before Game Boy.
super-break.jpg

9. Dungeon AKA Zork (Anderson/Blank/Daniels/Lebling, PDP)
Infocom adapted this to personal computers by dividing it into three games (among other changes). But that was starting in 1980. That's a more polished version but if you want the original '70s experience ported to a modern PC, download the file zdungeon and run it through a program like WinFrotz.
dunge.jpg

10. Head On (Sega/Gremlin, Arcade)
A pre-Pac-Man dot gobbler of sorts. I might have a preference for Atari's clone, Dodge 'Em, but I haven't found good evidence of it coming out before 1980.
head-on.jpg

11. Galaxian (Namco, Arcade)
galax.png

12. Orthanc Labyrinth (Resch, PLATO)
Out of all the '70s RPGs I have played, this held my interest the most. dnd has more impressive characters including an end boss but even after playing for hours I'm way too bad at the game to make any real progress. I suck at Orthanc as well but it's not quite as frustrating. There were also more advanced multiplayer focused RPGs back then. If you want to play these emulated PLATO network games, register here: http://www.cyber1.org/index.asp#home1
orthanc.png

13. Checkmate (Bally, Professional Arcade)
check.png

14. Lunar Lander (Atari, Arcade)
A remake of the 1969 game.
lunarl.jpg

15. Tail Gunner (Vectorbeam, Arcade)
First-person vector graphics shooting from the back of a ship.
tailg.jpg

16. Lunar Rescue (Taito, Arcade)
It's like Lunar Lander with much simpler physics and shooter elements.
lunar-res.png

17. M79 Ambush (Ramtek, Arcade)
m79.gif

18. Night Driver (Atari/Micronetics, Arcade)
While Vectorbeam's Speed Freak gets props for being the most visually impressive 3d racer of the '70s, Night Driver has a better speed sensation.
night-d.jpg

19. Adventureland (Adventure International, TRS-80)
At a time when text adventures were mostly on mainframe computers, Scott Adams was bringing them to the emerging personal computer market.
adventureland.jpg

20. Blasto (Gremlin, Arcade)
blasto.png

Last edited:

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
I am old guy but pre-1980's the pickings are slim. If pre-1985, I would have strong opinions.

I think you are only missing Zork.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent choices OP.

I'm going with Zork on this one. That was a formative game for me.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of the good games I could think of are already mentioned in the OP (except Pong, I guess?). Of those my favorites are the space ship shooters, Asteroids, Galaxian and Space Invaders. Too bad most of my favorite old arcade games released in 1980 and 81.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Berserk released in 1980, but I'm naming it anyway. Unlike most games from that period I could still play Berzerk today and have a great time.

Berzerk_-_1980_-_Stern_Electronics.jpg

I had the Atari 2600 port, which was very close to the arcade.

1095011556-00.jpg

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for bringing these games to my attention. Most of my gaming experiences are from the mid 80s and beyond, and the only games I've played on your list are the Asteroids, Space Invaders, and Breakout.

But there is a game that I remember playing that's borderline 70s, circa 1980, that I remember fondly:

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zork is my #1, followed by Galaxian and.... was Tempest in the late 70s? Shit I forget. But Zork, man. Zork, dude. I'm always afraid of being eaten by a grue.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Berserk released in 1980, but I'm naming it anyway. Unlike most games from that period I could still play Berzerk today and have a great time.

Berzerk_-_1980_-_Stern_Electronics.jpg

I had the Atari 2600 port, which was very close to the arcade.

1095011556-00.jpg

I do like berzerk. That's a good one. I'm an avid retrogamer but I usually don't go back this far. I really should, tho.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Good choice for #1, OP. I'm an eighties child, but Asteroids remains crisp and enjoyable to play today. The inertia of your thrusters and the way the asteroids break apart just feel right. It's timeless.

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Well I haven't played many... I guess I'll just list the few I've touched.
- Pong: It's like, a nice piece of history. That's about it.
- Space Invaders: It's pretty boring. But again, it's from 1978, so what can you expect.
- Adventure: This one surpringly holds up! It has a few confusing moments but it's actually fun to play and makes sense for the most part. I was really amazed when I played it for the first time.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
Haha. Berzerk... Do you see how the guy in the label looks like Luke Skywalker? Well. For us this game was Star Wars. Lol.

I was born in 1979, so I couldn't play all these games on launch day... But in Mexico we got the Atari 2600 many years after it was dead in USA, and those games were really popular mid 80s here, so I played most of this games... Except the computer ones, those were expensive.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
This is super before my time, but I jam with Asteroids, Space Invaders, Galaxian, and Breakout. Those games are still fun to play today, and really neat if you can play it on an arcade cabinet (only did that with Space Invaders though, all the others I played through Plug-N-Play mini consoles).

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Combat easily. Tons of hours sunk into it, loved playing against people with bouncy bullets. Runner up Night Driver.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Galaxian and Gun Fight. Killer Shark isn't a true video game so it doesn't count. As I type this I recall that I played a lot of Lunar Lander on the Atari too.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Awesome thread... don't have much experience in pre 80's games but Asteroids would be my #1 too. The graphics really pop on a vector screen.

Nov 8, 2017
Lots of amazing games that I had no idea were from the 1970's and Oregon Trail from 1971? I thought that surely must be a mistake until I looked it up. Crazy.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Metal Gear Solid 3, MGS: Peace Walker, Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, Hotel Dusk, The Warriors, Battlefield Vietnam, C&C: Red Alert 2, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Shadow of Memories...

...I can't think of others, they're all good in their own way though!

Sweet thread, liking these recommendations.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like reading about stuff that was before my time. I was born in 1975 so I didn't get to experience most of '70s gaming as it happened. I did play a lot of '70s-style games in the early '80s (arcade games, Atari VCS, VIC-20) and when gaming history books became more common in the early-mid '90s, I loved trying to catch up.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Probably Galaxian. There used to be a machine at my local swimming pool when I was a kid and I spent many happy afternoons there.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I remember reading that Space Invaders "accidentally" invented the concept of gradual difficulty progression. Not sure if that's true or just one of those gaming legends, but if it is true, it's one of the happiest little accidents to occur in the medium.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of experience with games before the NES, but I will break out Pong once in a while. Such a fantastic game that's still fun to play couch multiplayer style.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading that Space Invaders "accidentally" invented the concept of gradual difficulty progression. Not sure if that's true or just one of those gaming legends, but if it is true, it's one of the happiest little accidents to occur in the medium.
It was accidental in Space Invaders but deliberate difficulty progression already existed in games, e.g. Breakout will speed up the ball after a certain number of bounces.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Only played Space Invaders, Combat and Galaxian from the games in top OP (that I remember atleast). Super Breakout is really familiar but I just could be mistaking it to Arkanoid that I definitely played. I was born 1984 and started gaming 1989 so these were before my time, but my dad brought home many old computers and consoles from the fleamarket for me to try out.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Literally the first ResetEra thread to make me feel young.

Thanks OP. Gonna stick around this thread for a while just so the feeling of relative youth lasts as long as it can.

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
Asteroids was the knee to the bee. The vector space fighters didnt really dominate until the 80s.

Dec 18, 2017
Pac-Man is just almost old enough for this thread. I played quite a bit of that as a kid. It was before my time, but arcades and family introduced me to it.

I've played Space Invaders and Galaxian. I didn't Galaxian was that old. Or even that Galaga was a sequel, which I've played a lot more of.
I went and looked this up on wikipedia, and Galaxian was like a respond to Space Invaders that Namco did. And Galaga was a sequel to Galaxian. This really helps me to understand the evolution of the STG or SHMUP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Galaga seemed at least five times more popular than Galaxian, in my experience. I remember malls having multiple Galaga machines in various places. The home market was different as Galaxian was on 2600 while Galaga wasn't.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Some good choices in there but you may have forgotten one of the best games of the 70's:

Adventure - Atari 2600

adventure.jpg

The Atari 2600 was called "Atari VCS" (everyone just referred to it as Atari) when this particular game was released. You could even buy a Sears branded version (the Tele-games "Video Arcade"). I'm guessing this isn't new information to the people on this forum. :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned Atari's Adventure briefly but left it out of the list as it might be a 1980 release. I love the game, though. I think it has aged pretty well if you look past the graphics.