Status
Not open for further replies.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They should be ashamed of themselves for publishing this garbage. It's a greatest hits of all the non factors people have used to discredit her account, including "why didn't she come out with the full story sooner", the implication that she's a Russian plant or has a motivation to lie because she once praised Putin, and that she has said nice things about Biden online.

Victims aren't perfect and it's very often not just either hating or liking the person in question.

The bolded isn't even true -- she said in October of last year that there was more to her story. The author didn't even research what she is saying.
People used the 'why didnt she come forwards sooner' line against Ford Blassey too. It's always a bullshit way to discredit victims. There are countless reasons and examples of people not being able to speak fully about their trauma for a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the writer did a good job explaining why this allegation doesn't have the same traction. You can disagree with her and I don't think you're in the wrong to feel that way but she's been writing for the post for decades and does her research.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought the writer did a good job explaining why this allegation doesn't have the same traction. You can disagree with her and I don't think you're in the wrong to feel that way but she's been writing for the post for decades and does her research.
If she would have done her research, she wouldn't have said Reade didn't hint that there was more to her story when she published a tweet in October that specifically stated that she had more to say a bout her allegations. It's provably false.

If she were even the least bit professional, she wouldn't have shit all over Reade by hinting she's a liar because she couldn't get her story straight and repeating right wing type conspiracy theories about her being a Russian agent.

It's absolutely vile and the author should be ashamed.

Oct 25, 2017
If she would have done her research, she wouldn't have said Reade didn't hint that there was more to her story when she published a tweet in October that specifically stated that she had more to say a bout her allegations. It's provably false.

If she were even the least bit professional, she wouldn't have shit all over Reade by hinting she's a liar because she couldn't get her story straight and repeating right wing type conspiracy theories about her being a Russian agent.

It's absolutely vile and the author should be ashamed.
She mentioned the Putin stuff because she was inconsistent about that. It's an article that has done research and has found that Reade has inconsistency issues in general. Her story has shifted; her feelings about Biden have shifted; her feelings about Putin have shifted; her corroborators are inconsistent.

I don't know how you can narrow your focus and ignore the bigger picture being drawn: that Reade's allegation is more difficult to publicize because of the inconsistencies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
She mentioned the Putin stuff because she was inconsistent about that. It's an article that has done research and has found that Reade has inconsistency issues in general. Her story has shifted; her feelings about Biden have shifted; her feelings about Putin have shifted; her corroborators are inconsistent.

I don't know how you can narrow your focus and ignore the bigger picture being drawn: that Reade's allegation is more difficult to publicize because of the inconsistencies.
Why are you ignoring the fact that she blatantly posted false information? She said Reade hadn't hinted that there was more to the story. This is absolutely false.

Her liking tweets that involve Biden is not a valid reason for discrediting her account of sexual assault. Her changing her stance on Putin is not a valid reason for discrediting her account of sexual assault. Nor is her story not being told flawlessly or having a portion of it withheld for her own (completely valid) reasons. Supporting Bernie, which the author also points out, is not either.

Please stop this

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you ignoring the fact that she blatantly posted false information? She said Reade hadn't hinted that there was more to the story. This is absolutely false.

Her liking tweets that involve Biden is not a valid reason for discrediting her account of sexual assault. Her changing her stance on Putin is not a valid reason for discrediting her account of sexual assault. Nor is her story not being told flawlessly or having a portion of it withheld for her own (completely valid) reasons.

Please stop this
I don't think you read that portion of the article correctly. She said that at the time she reached out to reporters, she did not hint at or mention the sexual assault allegation, not that she didn't hint at it further down the line.

I'm not arguing that Reade is not being honest. Please note that I'm pointing out why it is likely this allegation hasn't gained traction in the media like other allegations have. Feel free to keep discussing this article but I don't think I'll be engaging with you on this discussion any further.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you read that portion of the article correctly. She said that at the time she reached out to reporters, she did not hint at or mention the sexual assault allegation, not that she didn't hint at it further down the line.

I'm not arguing that Reade is not being honest. Please note that I'm pointing out why it is likely this allegation hasn't gained traction in the media like other allegations have. Feel free to keep discussing this article but I don't think I'll be engaging with you on this discussion any further.

Perhaps instead of imagining reasons we can also look to a reason that we have evidence for - the Biden campaign is giving the media cues on what they should report.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Bottom line: Reade's shifting account introduces a confusing element. If Biden did what she now alleges, why did she not say this a year ago? Reade says she did not feel comfortable telling her full story then, but she seems to have offered no clue that there was more to her story. Ford had similarly shared her account about Kavanaugh with friends, family and therapists; however, by contrast with Reade, her story did not change over time.
"Why did she not say this a year ago? Reade says she did not feel comfortable telling her full story then, but she seems to have offered no clue that there was more to her story"

The obvious implication is that she withheld information because she was waiting until an opportune time (see: the eleciton) to talk about her sexual assault.. or that it didn't happen. Despite corroboration that she told her brother (from multiple publications) about the assault when it happened, decades ago. Despite posting in October that there was more to her story, publicly.

What she's saying is wrong.

These are and have always been bullshit excuses not to report Reade's story. But.. bye I guess if you don't want to acknowledge these things/are done

Last edited:

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
e20e32d4b877f72d51c93d97ed0f3a79641d0683.jpg

b5adfaf29d98df8ce3a3d3e7a7d5887af9bdeab8.jpg

35b1654e6820bf74965faa652e496882747c209a.jpg

fe9a26c8c4d928aad815cdb35d2fe350554d45d3.png

Fucking amazing. #BelieveWomen until it's time to defend our guy.

Deleted member 4852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just remember, if youre thinking of not voting for Biden, 83 percent of the people you interact with here think you are being irresponsible

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
just remember, if youre thinking of not voting for Biden, 83 percent of the people you interact with here think you are being irresponsible
Miss me with this bullshit. People who went through trauma shouldn't be expected or have any responsibility in revisiting or enabling the likes of their tormentor(s). But it isn't only about you/them. Report the assholes who post that victims of rape won't vote because of "feelings" like from the Bernie support thread, but stop with this generalized bullshit.

I get the anger and there needs to be everything done before November to have this undone and just maybe get some justice where it's too few and far between, but if it comes to the decision in November some of us will have to choose him over the other unaplogetic and gloating rapist because our survival depends on it, not to be done at yours/their expense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miss me with this bullshit. People who went through trauma shouldn't be expected or have any responsibility in revisiting or enabling the likes of their tormentor(s). But it isn't only about you/them. Report the assholes who post that victims of rape won't vote because of "feelings" like from the Bernie support thread, but stop with this generalized bullshit.

I get the anger and there needs to be everything done before November to have this undone and just maybe get some justice where it's too few and far between, but if it comes to the decision in November some of us will have to choose him over the other unaplogetic and gloating rapist because our survival depends on it, not to be done at yours/their expense.
You know, your post made me think about it and this was not the way I should have voiced my displeasure at those poll results, I apologize to everyone,

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This one? Yeah... It's gross. Kid clearly knows it's wrong and doesn't like it.

Nmz8Hsj.gif
I cannot wait for all these clips to be used in republican attack adds. It will go swimmingly I am sure... /s

"You wouldn't leave Joe Biden alone with your grand daughter, why would you then leave him in charge of the whole country?" almost writes itself....

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
People used the 'why didnt she come forwards sooner' line against Ford Blassey too. It's always a bullshit way to discredit victims. There are countless reasons and examples of people not being able to speak fully about their trauma for a long time.
I think what really bothers me about this is that with Blasey Ford, most of it was just coming from the usual suspects (Trump supporters, general misogynists, etc). More "progressive" minded people, including people on this forum, were saying to believe women no matter what, how brave it was for her to come forward, and things like that. Now, not even two years later, many of the same people are using the same shitty rhetoric that the aforementioned usual suspects use to either sweep it under the rug or ignore it. Even worse, some are telling actual survivors to "get over it" and telling them how "privileged" they are if they don't support Biden. When these types of allegations come up, my gut instinct is to believe them; I don't think about whether it's "inconvenient" or "suspiciously timed". Especially in higher profile cases like Kavanaugh and Biden, anyone bringing any kind of allegations forward has much more to lose than those they accuse. Not only are they doubted and heavily scrutinized right out of the gate, but they get death threats, threats of assault, and lose whatever privacy they had before coming forward.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Downplaying sexual assault allegations, conspiracy theorizing
What do we do with all the inconsistencies with Reade's story and the inconsistencies overall? What if the media has done research and they cannot move forward with the allegation, not because of a conspiracy to suppress it to help the Biden campaign, not because Biden is a democrat, but because after investigating the media does not feel comfortable with moving forward?

I believe in the idea of trust, but verify. I have believed many of the allegations in the past, both against republicans and democrats. But I'm sorry era, i can't get fully behind this allegation at this time. The reporting that has come out has pointed to myriad inconsistencies in Reade's allegation and with Reade and her corroborators. I genuinely hate feeling this way, i feel like a total asshole, but until more reporting comes forward in addition to the reporting we have now I cannot blanket call Biden a rapist or fully believe in this allegation.

No matter how this turns out, I do want to say that I feel for victims of sexual assault and I understand if this is painful for you. I dont mean to diminish your pain with how i feel about this allegation.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
What do we do with all the inconsistencies with Reade's story and the inconsistencies overall? What if the media has done research and they cannot move forward with the allegation, not because of a conspiracy to suppress it to help the Biden campaign, not because Biden is a democrat, but because after investigating the media does not feel comfortable with moving forward?

I believe in the idea of trust, but verify. I have believed many of the allegations in the past, both against republicans and democrats. But I'm sorry era, i can't get fully behind this allegation at this time. The reporting that has come out has pointed to myriad inconsistencies in Reade's allegation and with Reade and her corroborators. I genuinely hate feeling this way, i feel like a total asshole, but until more reporting comes forward in addition to the reporting we have now I cannot blanket call Biden a rapist or fully believe in this allegation.

No matter how this turns out, I do want to say that I feel for victims of sexual assault and I understand if this is painful for you. I dont mean to diminish your pain with how i feel about this allegation.

Pretty much everyone is now reporting apart from CNN.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Stop with this. Virtually every credible news publication has already reported her story. The guy who helped break the Weinstein abuse reported Reade because she passed his rigorous standards to go public.

You're casting doubt about her for no real reason and hurting victims of abuse by using classic smear tactics.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Stop with this. Virtually every credible news publication has already reported her story. The guy who helped break the Weinstein abuse reported Reade because she passed his rigorous standards to go public.

You're casting doubt about her for no real reason and hurting victims of abuse by using classic smear tactics.
Ronnan Farrow reported on it?

Oct 25, 2017
The first link i found to what that poster was talking about links to...brietbart.

i also saw an abcnews site with the same exact talking points as the brietbart article.

I stand by needing to see more and I'm tired of that poster accusing me of things because i don't find that the allegations have been sufficiently investigated to the degree that it is okay to call Biden a rapist. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to want given the circumstances.

Last edited:

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NY Times "The Daily" podcast from a few days ago laid out the accusation in pretty full detail if anyone is interested in a 30 minute explanation.

Xenogears_X

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
i 100% believed Ford and I 100% believe Reade. Plus, Biden is exceptionally creepy with touching people in public--can't imagine what he's like in private.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, a reporter who helped Farrow:
www.youtube.com

EXCLUSIVE: Reporter who investigated Weinstein says Biden's accuser deserves to be heard

Investigative reporter Rich McHugh, shares exclusive information on Biden accuser Tara Reade's criminal complaint filed with D.C. police last week.About Risi...
Not Farrow, his producer at the time who helped him break the story. He says he never would have gone public with her claim if he didn't find Reade highly credible.
The first link i found to what that poster was talking about links to...brietbart.

i also saw an abcnews site with the same exact talking points as the brietbart article.

I stand by needing to see more and I'm tired of that poster accusing me of things because i don't find that the allegations have been sufficiently investigated to the degree that it is okay to call Biden a rapist. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to want given the circumstances.
You should be ashamed of what you've done in this thread. You've helped spread false information and now you're doing it again. No, I'm not talking about Breitbart, I'm talking about a direct interview with Rich McHugh, Farrow's then producer at NBC. It's linked above.

Unless he's somehow Breitbart news?

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
e20e32d4b877f72d51c93d97ed0f3a79641d0683.jpg

b5adfaf29d98df8ce3a3d3e7a7d5887af9bdeab8.jpg

35b1654e6820bf74965faa652e496882747c209a.jpg

fe9a26c8c4d928aad815cdb35d2fe350554d45d3.png

Fucking amazing. #BelieveWomen until it's time to defend our guy.

tenor.gif

Fuck. I especially hate seeing this because I remember when the Kavanaugh accusations happened a lot of people on the right argued that "you're only doing this because he's conservative." My argument was no, all of us on the left would castigate any sexual predator regardless of party. This did happen with Al Franken at least, but my faith is totally shattered now.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
tenor.gif

Fuck. I especially hate seeing this because I remember when the Kavanaugh accusations happened a lot of people on the right argued that "you're only doing this because he's conservative." My argument was no, all of us on the left would castigate any sexual predator regardless of party. This did happen with Al Franken at least, but my faith is totally shattered now.
There were still quite a few people who stuck their neck out for Franken (some even still do), but asses are being shown in full over this.

Employing right wing smear tactics, stretching out her history to shame her, frame her as "inconsistent" with the implication that she's probably lying or dishonest, even diving head first into conspiracy theories about Reade being a Russian plant.

All of the above is not only currently being used against her here on ERA, but was posted in a WaPo opinion piece.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to rewatch the John Oliver video on Workplace Sexual Harassment and it's a bit haunting to see a lot of the same arguments that were used against Anita being used, the repeated attempts at solving sexual harassment through the centuries, viewing the woman who brings it up as the problem and Anita's quote about how change can't happen if we don't do anything which seems to be the major view of News and the left as a whole.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This one? Yeah... It's gross. Kid clearly knows it's wrong and doesn't like it.

Nmz8Hsj.gif

Fuck. That is creepy AF. Made my skin crawl.

US has a big problem. Vote for this sexual predator, or vote for Trump? I personally wouldn't be comfortable voting for either of them.

Couldn't the Dems dump Biden and install a new candidate before the election?

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Biden gifs on this page are making my skin crawl. Gross.

Biden is the best the DNC could come up with? That is massively disheartening.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. That is creepy AF. Made my skin crawl.

US has a big problem. Vote for this sexual predator, or vote for Trump? I personally wouldn't be comfortable voting for either of them.

Couldn't the Dems dump Biden and install a new candidate before the election?

They could, but as none of the other candidates got the votes Biden did it would likely be suicide for the November elections.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
They could, but as none of the other candidates got the votes Biden did it would likely be suicide for the November elections.

So the only option at all is a white supremacist or a sexual predator?

I guess there are the green party, but I know little about the US Greens and a vote for them might as well be a vote for Trump anyway.

What a shit situation

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Its mainly made up of quotes by Reade.
It should be mentioned that it's the University if Delaware blocking it not Biden

To be fair to University of Deleware that's pretty standard practice to be able to get someones archives/library.

Biden generally would not want any of his archives being made available for oppo research while he is still a public facing figure. The LBJ library in Austin had the same limitations in place as do most presidential/politicians archives. In this case obviously there is a potential criminal complaint, but the issue is there isn't exactly a "sexual harassment claims" folder, you would have to open the entire archive up to a journalist or police and there are legitimate reasons to not want to do that that have nothing to do with Reade.

I'm sure there can be a way to get a journalist in there who isn't going to go on a fishing expedition for non-Reade related information and that should happen. Biden's team should be able to negotiate something to let a journalist or journalists into the archive and find records from 1993 pertaining to HR related matters and not go look in unrelated folders for other potentially embarrassing information.

The complaint to the Senate (ethics? not sure?) desk should be findable by an FOIA request, but with Coronavirus I am assuming it's not going to happen quickly.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.