• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I was a doctor lol. No I am not. My standpoint is that if I see someone hurt and im able to help them I will. For example im an atheist, I think religion is pretty terrible and really oppresses people and has caused a lot of death and damage to the world. But if I saw a person in religious garb that is hurt, im going to help them in that moment get back up. We absolutely do not agree on everything and definitely don't have the same ideals but perhaps an act of kindness can lead to some open conversation or a change or heart.

I'm not trying to get in a venomous debate with anyone either I'm just responding to the original posters question honestly.

A doctor's and average person's responsibility cannot and should not be compared

And please don't compare say a priest or someone wearing a yarmulke or a cross or a hijab, to someone in modern day Klan robes, that's such a fucked up way to go

Oct 28, 2017
Would you feel the same if he was wearing a KKK t-shirt? A swastika hat?

The "MAGA" bullshit is not just "a hat". It's an entire outlook on life and the world around you. It is the symbol for a mindset that places minority groups and immigrants below "real Americans". And we all know what that means.

In this situation yes. Doing what I believe to be right doesn't mean it has to be easy. I have know how it sounds but it doesn't make it any less true. It's hard as fuck to help someone you hate but until you be surprised what happens to you if you happen to do it. It is never about the world it's about how I can effect what I contact with.

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
love the people with no skin in the game coming in here to tell us marginalized folk how terrible we are for not helping a bigot.

Honestly you should be ashamed of yourselves. You might not be the people stepping on our necks but you sure have done nothing to stop them from buying the boots.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't have a toddler but for the purposes of the thought experiment I'll say I'm babysitting so I'll put on a mask and help out. But I get the safety issue for others.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't have a toddler but for the purposes of the thought experiment I'll say I'm babysitting so I'll put on a mask and help out. But I get the safety issue for others.

This is a Maga guy, so he's probably strapped, so you go and try to help him up, his gun goes off and shoots the kid you're babysitting. You don't get to reload that save file. You live with that for the rest of your life.

Again...there is no morally right answer here imo. That's honestly what makes this a pretty interesting thread.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I'd keep it the fuck moving. I have a ton of empathy but not a lot sympathy for these Nazi MAGA fucks given that they're essentially ruining the country and targeting the people I'm most close to. And me. So, too fucking bad.

I'm sure that he'd be really angry a "tr*nny" like me gave him mouth to mouth, so it's better for both of us.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
shame-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a Maga guy, so he's probably strapped, so you go and try to help him up, his gun goes off and shoots the kid you're babysitting. You don't get to reload that save file. You live with that for the rest of your life.

Again...there is no morally right answer here imo. That's honestly what makes this a pretty interesting thread.
I think most people that would help would ask whether they can help first, i'm not about to go touching anyone without their permission. If he tells me to fuck off i'll be more then happy to do just that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Wow man just like my viddy games!!!

If I was worried about being shot in America then I wouldn't help anyone I guess. I don't live in a conceal carry state for starters.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Help them probably. I'm Asian so prime target, but I think to preserve my humanity I have to think I still help

Nov 8, 2017
This is a Maga guy, so he's probably strapped, so you go and try to help him up, his gun goes off and shoots the kid you're babysitting. You don't get to reload that save file.

Good god, lol!

Between the 99 percent chance that he has COVID and is going to put your kid in ICU or that he's probably strapped and the gun somehow flies out of the holster and blows the kids' head off, this hypothetical feeble old man who fell and can't get up is the world's most dangerous person 😂

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 3 year old that likes to run around, I think he would stand still while I helped the guy but if I wasn't sure something might happen to my kid then no. I'd call for help if it was serious.

I don't ever really see MAGA shit where I live though. I've seen flags on homes and bumper stickers but not much more.

lol there was one asshole who had TRUMP all in white in the back of his truck driving through the largely Hispanic places I go to. People were giving him shit lol I haven't seen him since.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
love the people with no skin in the game coming in here to tell us marginalized folk how terrible we are for not helping a bigot.

Honestly you should be ashamed of yourselves. You might not be the people stepping on our necks but you sure have done nothing to stop them from buying the boots.
Yeah I don't think I'd have an issue either if his shirt was aimed at me to begin with. Seems like a fairly simple thing to explain to the kid to begin with.

I don't think if I didn't help the guy out it'd be "stopping them from buying the boots" though in my own situation. I've already done several things in my life including severing people who believe this stuff from my life; didn't help. Letting them solve their own problems hasn't helped either. Legitimately the best option forwards I have is actually having a dialog with them, but fuck me if it doesn't feel impossible.

lol what is this

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanently): Inflammatory comparisons over multiple posts, history of severe infractions
A doctor's and average person's responsibility cannot and should not be compared

And please don't compare say a priest or someone wearing a yarmulke or a cross or a hijab, to someone in modern day Klan robes, that's such a fucked up way to go

Uh yeah I can compare them actually. There's years of documented war, rape, stealing, suppression of woman, etc. sound familiar?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
One of the several things things that separate me from a MAGA hat moron is that if I saw that happen, I'd offer help and maybe call the police to help them as well. I know that they would never do the same for me. There are subtle differences in when I'll care to help or not, though. If somebody wants to be an anti-vaxxer and chooses to avoid the vaccine and gets sick and dies ... well too bad. Don't really care, better luck next time. But if a terrible person wipes out on their mobility scooter, I'm not just going to let them rot there even if they'd let me rot there.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
no let's not; this is the same "thought experiment" that drives people to become antivax lmao

????

MAGA folks have shown themselves to be a dangerous terrorist group. Hell, it wasn't even a year ago they tried to storm the capitol and execute politicians. It is not at all a stretch to assume that they might be carrying a loaded weapon.

Again, I've already said itt, I would be the type of person to try to help. I'm not saying that people shouldn't. It's just there can be ramifications for helping the wrong kinds of people.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
I'd help them out; I did help a guy in a MAGA hat when he fell at the grocery store, he said thanks I said no problem and kept it pushing.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
????

MAGA folks have shown themselves to be a dangerous terrorist group. Hell, it wasn't even a year ago they tried to storm the capitol and execute politicians. It is not at all a stretch to assume that they might be carrying a loaded weapon.
even if you assume he's carrying a loaded weapon, you have to jump through several assumptions to reach this. You have to assume it's freely moving in some way. You have to assume the safety is off. You have to assume that there's a possibility for the gun to accidentally fire, and that out of all the different angles it hits your kid???? This "But what if tho..." kind of scenario isn't actual probable reasoning, it's excusive fearmongering of the possibility (note: this is not referring to any danger that would be race related, only white people and the potential of guns) in the same way as "what if vaccines are dangerous?!?! *shrugs* I'm not finding out!"

it's a guy in a mobility scooter, and this isn't a good basis to do anything

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Those icons represent religions that have caused all the things I mentioned before. Yet, if one of them were in a wheelchair and fell over I would help pick them up.

I literally can't explain it to you enough how utterly fucked up you are to equate symbols of white supremacy with symbols of Judaism, and I hope you never talk to anyone who would be harmed by your warped perception of reality.

And how to use a word to annoy you, pious you come off acting like it makes you noble for putting that aside to pick them off the ground.

Seek perspective I implore you.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
even if you assume he's carrying a loaded weapon, you have to jump through several assumptions to reach this. You have to assume it's freely moving in some way. You have to assume the safety is off. You have to assume that there's a possibility for the gun to accidentally fire, and that out of all the different angles it hits your kid???? This "But what if tho..." kind of scenario isn't actual probable reasoning, it's excusive fearmongering of the possibility (note: this is not referring to any danger that would be race related, only white people and the potential of guns) in the same way as "what if vaccines are dangerous?!?! *shrugs* I'm not finding out!"

it's a guy in a mobility scooter, and this isn't a good basis to do anything

You're making plenty of assumptions too though. Like yes, I think if a person is stupid enough to wear MAGA clothes and support Trump they are 100% stupid enough to have a concealed unholstered loaded weapon with the safety turned off. In fact, my assumption that he would, is probably a safer bet than yours that he wouldn't, but regardless, your analogy to vaccine's is insanely off base. There is no reality in which helping this guy up is going to somehow potentially safe your life from a deadly virus. There is no rationale for being fearful of a vaccine, but there is a VERY STRONG rationale for being fearful of the MAGA terrorist group. Because they literally took part in a terrorist attack on the United States less than a year ago.

This whlle thread is a "But what if though?" That's literally the premise of the thread.

And despite all of that, like I say, I would help this person.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
Help them. Honestly I know some magas who clearly have some racist shit going on but in truth if they see a person physical in front of them in need, odds are they are going to help regardless.

The problem is when the person they could help is invisible to them.

Also, it don't bode well for the species if any side is drawing lines like this when it comes to helping another person who physically in front of them needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.