Jokerman

May 16, 2020
www.theguardian.com

Nurse claims Met police wrongfully arrested her because she is black

Neomi Bennett’s legal complaint adds to calls for force to examine racism in its ranks

Just after midnight on 4 April 2019, Neomi Bennett, a black woman who has been awarded a British Empire medal for her services to nursing, was stopped by police officers while dropping off a friend in Wandsworth, south-west London.

Police bodycam footage released to Bennett shows the lead-up to her being pulled out of her car, arrested and kept in a cell for 18 hours. Bennett now intends to bring a civil claim against the Metropolitan police for wrongful arrest, assault, battery, false imprisonment and malicious prosecution. A Met spokesperson said: 'The south west basic command unit professional standards team is currently assessing a complaint in relation to this incident. Due to the complaint, we cannot go into any more detail at this time'

This is why the recent claim by Cressida Dick that the force isn't institutionally racist, is complete bullshit. Guys, the police here are as racist as anywhere else unfortunately. She is pretty much arrested in the end for annoying the police officer.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Also in the UK police arrests are more towards minorities based on race, African and Afro-Caribean.

www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk

Arrests

Black people were over twice as likely to be arrested as white people – there were 21 arrests for every 1,000 black people, and 9 for every 1,000 white people.

there were 675,461 arrests in 2017/18, a fall of 9% on the previous year

Black people were over 3 times as likely to be arrested as White people – there were 35 arrests for every 1,000 Black people, and 10 arrests for every 1,000 White people

overall, men were 6 times as likely to be arrested as women – there were 22 arrests for every 1,000 men, and 4 arrests for every 1,000 women

Black women were more than twice as likely to be arrested as White women – there were 7 arrests for every 1,000 Black women, and 3 arrests for every 1,000 White women

figures for 2017/18 exclude Lancashire Police as they were unable to provide data on arrests

Only consolation is that compared to Europe, UK has one of the best and well respected policemen and policewomen forces and they also hire from other ethnic backgrounds, which is a necessity in a city like London.
I remember at an airport hearing comments of some guys behind me from their experience that German police were much more racist compared to the UK police.

Which reminded me of that joke

In heaven:
  • Your cook is Italian.
  • Your mechanic is German.
  • Your policeman is English.
  • Your lover is French.
  • It is all organized by the Swiss.

In hell:
  • Your cook is English.
  • Your mechanic is French.
  • Your policeman is German.
  • Your lover is Swiss.
  • It is all organized by the Italians.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people complained about having to see threads about this kind of thing because "it's just an American problem"?

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That "Im going to nick her" came pretty quickly...
Or maybe Im misunderstanding what he means. He's going to punch her?

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Not 'institutionally racist' my arse. The MacPherson Report published in the wake of the Stephen Lawrence murder has clearly resulted in nothing bloody changing.

Also; whenever Cressida Dick is mentioned in the news, I automatically think; Jean Charles de Menezes.

She should never have got the role of commish.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
When Bennett refuses to wind down the window or get out, and later says she is calling a lawyer to check the search is legal "because this is what you're doing to black people", he replies: "You're really starting to annoy me." She insists: "I don't know what I've done wrong."

Just because they won't kill you on sight doesn't mean that the police aren't racist.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Bodycam footage released to Bennett shows officers on either side of the car. One knocks on her door to raise concerns that her front windows are illegally tinted. (Court documents later established they were within the legal limit.) When Bennett tells the officer she is scared, he says: "I don't believe you because you're talking to police officers." He tells her he believes she is hiding stolen property.

So the officer approached because he believes she had stolen property, probably because she's black, and straight up lied about the window tint.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I really hate it when police officers tell you they're getting annoyed or pissed off, what do they expect to achieve by telling you that? And threatening to put the windows through was a dick move too. So many of these situations show a massive lack of training.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That couple who got wrongly arrested over those Gatwick drones got £200K so she should be in for a payday

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well in this specific case i don't think there's any violance or formale irregulatities done by the Police officer(he should have been more patient). Having tinted front windows is against the law pretty much everywhere across Europe.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Well in this specific case i don't think there's any violance or formale irregulatities done by the Police officer(he should have been more patient). Having tinted front windows is against the law pretty much everywhere across Europe.

Only they weren't illegally tinted, and he needlessly escalates the situation when she wants to call her lawyer.

He also should have enough tact to understand why a black women might be frightened of the police in these times.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
They arrested her and she spent 18hrs in a cell. For what reason? And she was stopped for what reason?

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
They arrested her and she spent 18hrs in a cell. For what reason?

I don't agree with how this was handled but from what the officer said she was arrested for obstruction.

''Any person who resists or wilfully obstructs a constable in the execution of his duty, or a person assisting a constable in the execution of his duty, shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month or to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale''

Watching the video again its weird how a female officer wasn't brought in. The officer says he can get one, she asks for one and then he ignores all that and it escalates to an arrest.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Remember when people complained about having to see threads about this kind of thing because "it's just an American problem"?
I sure do. That popped in a lot the last few years.
There is nuance involved.

America is magnitudes worse than the UK. People dying at the hands of the police is shockingly normal in America. That part is a fact.

On Wikipedia the UK's list of police killings is laid out by decade.

On the US list it's laid out by MONTH.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
During a pandemicI'd be pretty fucking nervous about breathing a coppers air, and the fucker is really quick to mention drugs and burglary. ACAB

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
What a shitshow. Copper comes out of this really badly. Poor woman. Dice roll after dice roll no matter where you live is what it looks like.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
There are for some arbitrary reason that "darker windows" equals you have something to hide . . . It's nonsense. However, sometimes the windows do block too much light from the inside, which could be a hazard. But that's not a reason for, well anything.
Only for the front windows though isn't it?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

America is magnitudes worse than the UK. People dying at the hands of the police is shockingly normal in America. That part is a fact.

There is nuance here. There is institutional racism in Europe and around the world. Those people who try to deflect the problem by bringing up America like you are doing are part of the problem.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
What I love about the tint discussion in this thread is that its a big excuse NYPD uses to pull you over but inevitably the tints are fine (not like there's an illegal tinting business people are going to). Its just an excuse like 'driving erratically', and if push came to shove a cop can say the tints looked darker than you thought because it was at night.

You know how believe women became a rallying cry, we need a 'don't ever believe cops' one also.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What's that got to do with 'these kinds of threads' though? This thread doesn't involve anyone being killed by police.

Police in the UK don't kill any race in large numbers so that's not the metric you would use to measure racism within the police force in the UK anyway.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Even ignoring the fact that you're posting whataboutism, if you really think cops won't be shitheels the first chance they get because they're in England, I got a bridge to sell you

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
hah the bobby spotted an illegal tint at night?

This is the shit that's common in the UK - whenever there are menial, awkward laws to enforce (lockdown fines are a recent example), minorities are always disproportionately targetted.

StickofRock

Oct 28, 2017
"There's something in this vehicle" he repeats to himself excitedly. Well, maybe you are not the fucking Poirot you thought you were. What a fuckup.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
hah the bobby spotted an illegal tint at night?

This is the shit that's common in the UK - whenever there are menial, awkward laws to enforce (lockdown fines are a recent example), minorities are always disproportionately targetted.

TBF I grew up in a predominantly white area and had lots of White Boy Racer type friends who got pulled over all the time for tinted windows day and night... some of the windows actually were illegally tinted, some weren't.