• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: inflammatory and inaccurate thread title
FRISCO, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Federal authorities announced a major crackdown on prostitution that reveals sex trafficking in North Texas remains an ongoing problem.

In Frisco, two hotels were used for an undercover operation resulting in the arrests of 46 men in only two days.

It's the biggest roundup from a prostitution sting operation in recent memory and shows it's a crime that's not just happening in urban areas.

It's well known that prostitutes walk the streets nightly in a rundown part of Northwest Dallas.

But earlier this month, federal authorities showed that sex trafficking is happening in the shadows of Southlake's Town Square and Frisco's Stonebriar Mall.

John Perez with Homeland Security Investigations oversaw an operation involving undercover officers placing ads that blended in with countless others found online.

"There's thousands and thousands of ads posted every day in the metroplex," Perez said.

Men looking to pay for sex who responded to the undercover adds arrived at the hotels in Frisco and Southlake only to find police waiting for them.

"We had a high school teacher, who is also a football coach, we had a youth pastor," Perez said. "We had a volunteer firefighter, a director of operations of one of the large medical systems here in the metroplex, we also had a semi pro hockey player who plays on the Allen team as well."

"I'm very happy to see those soliciting being prosecuted because if there's no demand there's no supply," said Chelsea Robertson.
www.cbsnews.com

Prostitution sting operation in Frisco results in the arrest of 46 men over 2 days

Federal authorities announced a major crackdown on prostitution that reveals sex trafficking in North Texas remains an ongoing problem.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
They pretty much just arrested unsuspecting people paying for Sex that they lured with an ad, and are patting themselves on the back as if they busted a sex trafficking ring.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
They pretty much just arrested unsuspecting people paying for Sex that they lured with an ad, and are patting themselves on the back as if they busted a sex trafficking ring.

yeah this whole thing reads weird. i thought this was about a youth pastor sex trafficking, not someone trying to pay for an encounter with a prostitute. this feels like busting someone for snorting some coke and saying you got pablo escobar

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if I'm not reading this correctly but:
- They arrested men who were going to pay for sex because they were lured by ads
- They got arrested by the police for soliciting prostitution
- It is a felony now to do so in Texas

I'm not saying there isn't a sex trafficking issue in Texas or let alone, the entire world and exploiting sex workers or anything like that, but I thought those men (high school coach, youth pastor) were involved in a sex trafficking operation/ring by that headline.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I read that article twice and I'm not sure what the actual issue is. Who gives a shit if they wanted a prostitute

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I read that article twice and I'm not sure what the actual issue is. Who gives a shit if they wanted a prostitute
Yeah, the headline doesn't match the content.

Also, the use of their job titles seems more about shaming Johns, a common tactic, than actual trafficking.

Yes, trafficking is terrible, but I though this was going them running some ring or something.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they wasted a lot of time and effort and failed to thwart a sex trafficking ring, so they lured a bunch of easy marks to make them feel good about themselves.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry if I'm not reading this correctly but:
- They arrested men who were going to pay for sex because they were lured by ads
- They got arrested by the police for soliciting prostitution
- It is a felony now to do so in Texas

I'm not saying there isn't a sex trafficking issue in Texas or let alone, the entire world and exploiting sex workers or anything like that, but I thought those men (high school coach, youth pastor) were involved in a sex trafficking operation/ring by that headline.

I think most did, well at least I did as headline pushed me to think they were more organizers, making money off said industry vs someone responding to an ad they put up

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Next time, let's use the article title instead because that is actually accurate. OP's editorializing is what created the inaccurate thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies.