• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
www.theverge.com

YouTube gives dislikes the thumbs-down, hides public counts

The company says it’s trying to prevent harassment.

YouTube has announced that it'll be hiding public dislike counts on videos across its site, starting today. The company says the change is to keep smaller creators from being targeted by dislike attacks or harassment, and to promote "respectful interactions between viewers and creators." The dislike button will still be there, but it'll be for private feedback, rather than public shaming.

This move isn't out of the blue. In March, YouTube announced that it was experimenting with hiding the public dislike numbers, and individual creators have long had the ability to hide ratings on their videos. But the fact that the dislike counts will be disappearing for everyone (gradually, according to YouTube) is a big deal — viewers are used to being able to see the like-to-dislike ratio as soon as they click on a video and may use that number to decide whether to continue watching. Now, that will no longer be an option, but it could close off a vector for harassment.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
This is definitely one of those 'causes more problems than it solves' type of executive decisions

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
This is absolutely an awful idea. If a video is bad I want to have an idea about it. Instead of spending my time watching it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
this is probably just "Disney/WB got mad at us for showing how much people don't like some of our trailers". Cowards.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Feel like this is to make alt right, and other stuff in a similar vein, look more accepted than it is.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this really prevents harassment when the person being harassed still sees the dislikes. Wouldn't be surprised if it's more about companies not wanting a big dislike bar below their latest million dollar product

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely an awful idea. If a video is bad I want to have an idea about it. Instead of spending my time watching it.
I gotta say in all my years of viewing things on YouTube,
I've rarely found the dislike number to actually be reflective of the video, uploaded videos of like news aside.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks, a lot of videos are very misleading and when it has 99% thumbs down it's easy to quickly move on.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Dislikes are a helpful tool to people. If I see dislikes, I often scroll down to see the comments. If comments are turned off, I get very cautious. I've avoided some nasty shit this way.

this is probably just "Disney/WB got mad at us for showing how much people don't like some of our trailers". Cowards.
fucking bingo, that has to be it

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, sometimes I stumble upon "quick and easy fixes!" for simple technical problems but they'll have 95% dislikes because the solution doesn't work, it's helpful.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'll have to watch an entire 10+ video to know whether it is a good Excel/Python/R/etc tutorial?

Meh I guess I can start reading comments.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this is to make alt right, and other stuff in a similar vein, look more accepted than it is.

I never click on those videos but I can't imagine there's a massive amount of people bothering to dislike that stuff. It does help videos that are being harassed from the alt right since having a invisible number gives less reason to bother.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when the like and dislike bars were colored but they grayed them out so people don't notice the big red bar and leave.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Probably for the best, people will actually have to engage with content as opposed to go "10 million dislikes on youtube!"

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
This is one of those things I need to think about for a while before having an informed opinion

Dec 31, 2017
Nah If I look up home improvement or how to use a tool or a certain clip of old media that dislike ratio let's me know immediately I'm wasting my time.

You can't read comments or save or mini player what's determined to be "kids" videos.

You can't read comments or save what's determined to be "mature" videos.

Always a fucking solution in search of a problem.

How about make it so users can turn off annotations that take up 3/4 of the fucking screen 30 seconds from the end.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Good , some video are targeted like recently all The White House ones, they have thousands of dislikes before anyone have any realistic chance to view the videos and no matter what is topic discussed.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Guess we'll have to use the likes-to-comments ratio now to determine if a video sucks before watching it, a la twitter

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Overall a good idea. It's stupid to see how many progressive videos get "dislike dogpiled" thanks to bandwagon voting.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Big corporate channels don't want to show off how big their mistakes are I guess