Oct 25, 2017
Even with the cost hike the benefits here are flexibility in viewing due to apps and having a cloud based DVR. No need for bullshit old ass cable boxes.

As someone who was/is a huge proponent of streaming, I have to admit how wrong I was in assuming that streaming wouldn't get out of control and eventually work it's way back to a cable model (including prices). This is so disappointing to see.

If you understood the way bundle structures worked you would have seen this coming.

The core benefit of these providers is the extreme flexibility in how and where you can watch.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes a bunch of channels I was specifically hoping they wouldn't add bc if the price increase. I don't even think there are any other cheap sports packages available and that's all I was using yttv for. Canceling

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Well, OK, but that's not really the answer to "I'd like to watch shit legally and not get bent over a barrel".
It's funny bc they are pushing people back to piracy with this shit. If I'm back to paying $50 just for espn n shit, I might as well just cancel and go back to a true "cord cutter"

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I just never got onboard with live TV streaming. It has the same fundamental problem as cable - bundles a bunch of sportsball and other dumbfuck shit and adds cost, and it keeps bombarding you with ads.

Netflix + hulu streaming + HBO Now is $45 and it's easy to cancel so you can rotate at 15/mo.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I just never got onboard with live TV streaming. It has the same fundamental problem as cable - bundles a bunch of sportsball and other dumbfuck shit and adds cost, and it keeps bombarding you with ads.

Netflix + hulu streaming + HBO Now is $45 and it's easy to cancel so you can rotate at 15/mo.
YTTV was great bc it was fox + Disney + espn. It was aimed primarily at people who wanted just sportsball with initial marketing and the channels they were adding. There's no reason to subscribe to live tv OTHER than sportsball IMO

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, OK, but that's not really the answer to "I'd like to watch shit legally and not get bent over a barrel".
It's not a preferable answer, but it's an answer to what people will be doing as this stuff continues. People stopped pirating when streaming became more convenient. And now pirating is getting to the point where it's not only more convenient, it's also easier. There's a reason why people flock to those sideloaded Fire Sticks and why they're selling for $100 on eBay when they retail for $30. Likewise with the cheap Android streaming boxes.

People aren't streaming Netflix and Hulu on those things, they're streaming ESPN, CNN, and getting all of their Netflix, Hulu, and HBO shows.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
YTTV was great bc it was fox + Disney + espn. It was aimed primarily at people who wanted just sportsball with initial marketing and the channels they were adding. There's no reason to subscribe to live tv OTHER than sportsball IMO

Oddly enough my wife's middle aged aunt went back to cable for cable news. I admit I do miss it during break news, to be historical events, but 99.9% of the time it isn't that.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup...fuck iptv services.

Just use Hulu + Netflix. Could probably just cut it down to Netflix honestly.

Don't feel the need for anything else in my life.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Oddly enough my wife's middle aged aunt went back to cable for cable news. I admit I do miss it during break news, to be historical events, but 99.9% of the time it isn't that.
Well it's easy to lose cable news if you think it's all trash to begin with lol
Fwiw I think yttv has cnn, Fox News and msnbc to begin with
Yup...fuck iptv services.

Just use Hulu + Netflix. Could probably just cut it down to Netflix honestly.

Don't feel the need for anything else in my life.
netflix is getting harder for me to justify. All my background noise shows went to Hulu and none of their newer original content is capturing my interest.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
That said, didn't Apple say something in their March event about offering channels ala carte? I could've sworn they did, but I would have thought that would have been a big enough deal that people would be talking about it more.

Not a la carte in the way people want it, no. It'll be bundles by company for the most part (read: a Viacom subscription, a CBS subscription, a Discovery Communications subscription). You aren't going to be able to buy, for example, Syfy by itself.

pwrshll

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you might want to check out Philo. $16-$20, depending on your package. Cloud DVR included. Has AMC, HGTV, Food Network... App exists for Fire TV and seems to work pretty well.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They went up to $50 too

Ah, well, it seems they are keeping me grandfathered.

So for new subs seems like Hulu tv is the best deal.

With cable bundles being around $80-100 for internet and TV they are going to start pushing people back to cable. I'm locked in on fiber for $55 and I even get tempted by Comcast $80 2 year price locked for internet and TV bundles. Problem is paying for the box, HD fee, and then after that 2 years they basically force you to cancel for a while before coming back. So I'm good pretty well locked in at $100 a month, but if dtv now forces a price hike I might cancel and go back to cable.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have the traditional cable/sat providers caught up to offering unlimited cloud storage for recorded shows? That was a *major* selling point for me with YTTV. The idea of having to store DVR content locally on my limited disk space cable box (while still not having full autonomy over the content) seems so antiquated nowadays

They do cloud storage now but not unlimited (but its alot of space), and having dvr will increase the price

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
This is good and bad. My wife will be happy for the additions but the price is going up to near unreasonable. The only thing keeping me on streaming is unlimited Clouddvr and a ubiquitous app that doesn't require "outlet" fees which soon double the cost of your bill if you are a multiTV household.

I think Comcast even charges you an outlet fee on their freaking Roku app

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've looked at these streaming packages and combined with the fact that I would have to get my Internet without the "triple play" bundle, it would end up costing me the same or even more money. They really fuck you.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I've never viewed getting rid of cable just to subscribe to cable again by a different delivery method as cord cutting.

Now could you or can you still save money by using an OTT provider instead of the local cable co? Sure. Should you be shocked that cable from Google carries the same price hikes as cable from Comcast? No.

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the media companies have all the leverage in these negotiations of what gets offered where, since nobody is loyal to X streaming company regardless of lineup versus people wanting specific channels. Makes sense that a la carte will never happen in that context - why would the companies who gain nothing from it ever allow it?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Hgtv and food Network makes it a worth it increase for us also be aware that a family account can have 6 with 3 active streams

rockx4

Dec 8, 2017
Just saw the notice earlier and ended my subscription, the price increase is ridiculous. I don't watch enough live TV to justify the price.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even mad. I had PSVue and absolutely hated it AND was paying $45. I'll pay Google $5 more for a better service.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
We need more pricing options. $10 more a month isn't worth it for the channels being added for me. It should of been an addon package.

With that said personally for the channels our house watches its still the best deal. We were paying $120 for cable (not counting internet but including 2 cable boxes) and the other services don't have the channels we want. If I switched to hulu or direct tv now I'd still need philo for AMC and BBC America for example. Not to mention YTTV's DVR is lightyears ahead of any other service's DVR.

What I'd really like to see is a completely sports free package. I don't give one crap about sports so when I set up my custom YTTV channel line up I hide all the sports channels and spanish language channels (I don't speak spanish).

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Sports is the main reason I have anything. It sucks when the prices keep going up. I wish I could get ESPN, FS1, ABC, TNT, and RSN's packaged with the basic Hulu plan. I don't need any other live channel lol.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, color me disappointed as well. I was only saving about $20/month over my cable+internet package, this takes it to $10/month savings for me.

I like YoutubeTV better, since it works on different devices, but like folks have said - we're starting to run into the exact situation we cut the cord to escape from.

I'd go for OTA content, but there's no simple way to timeshift it that the rest of the family will like.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With streaming now fracturing even further it feels like I'll be paying 100 a month for all my streaming content as well. I mean I still prefer that to cable for convenience but ughh

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after this hike, in my area anyway... Internet + cable box is now cheaper than internet + streaming service. Unreal.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Direct TV now jacked up its prices recently as well. I wonder why they are all increasing. The whole idea behind them was to offer packages that were cheaper than Cable/Dish,. If these prices continue then people will drop these services as well.

They're owned by AT&T, so in addition to being a satellite company they're a cable company as well. It always felt like AT&T just wanted to eventually shutter or wall off the satellite owners, I wouldn't be surprised if Now was just a way to compete with the "cordless" alternatives, but they really just want to keep you on cable.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
We had you tube TV, sling and philosophy. We dropped philo and with these additions we are gonna drop sling. So 50 a month not bad for us.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The cord cutting honeymoon phase wasn't going to last forever. Soon all these services will be pushing $100.
It's not that. It's that everything is going to end up fragmented. You'll have to sub to 5-6 different $10+ services to get all the content.

At least with cable you paid $60 and got a couple hundred channels. Now you'll be possible looking at Disney+, Hulu, and Netflix and just for those 3 you'll likely be pushing $40. Add something like HBO or whatever Comcast and NBC does and you'll likely be $55-$60 and that's basically just for 4-5 provider's services. Also if you'll want live sports you'll be in for some real pain on the price.

The forced bundle of cable was unfortunate but it's a better business model than what we're headed to.

The real advantage with streaming is you can start and stop whenever with out penalty though.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god I get DTVNow for $10 a month by selling my soul
as I work for them

I use to love PSVue but then they lost local Fox a few years ago and I had to move on.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
So it's just cable now.

There are perks because it is streaming. But there is also the drawback that it consumes data from an internet package that you are already likely getting from the cable company.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
As someone who was/is a huge proponent of streaming, I have to admit how wrong I was in assuming that streaming wouldn't get out of control and eventually work it's way back to a cable model (including prices). This is so disappointing to see.

It's like, I'm able to get by because I have family members who share accounts so we'll each pay for our own services (mom with Hulu, sister with netflix, me with HBO Now) but I couldn't imagine trying to pay for all of that on top of internet prices.