• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Maybe this is some romanticized idea of travelling the world "authentically," with only $20 in your wallet and starry eyed wonder.

I hate all those stories that glorify being broke in your 20s and still managing to live a full life/adventure, because this is what it results in.

That'll involve having to listen to Asians. Era would sooner willingly set itself on fire

hehe

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
white_fragility_by_digi_matrix-dawhqyf.gif
Man, this just hurts as a PoC with a mental disorder.

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
There is. I have to prove I have financial support to complete the trip and the financial ties to come back when I applied for Visa to US. There are discussion about it in mine and other countries. No more lax visitor Visa on arrival. Probably won't happen because tourist money still far outweigh Begpacker

The beg-packing phenomenon doesn't really apply to the US. And to the countries that do have it, details are incredibly easy to fake.

27 Burritos

Dec 27, 2018
I'm a beg stay at homer. Anyway, who actually gives people money to go on vacation? It's one thing to give money for something like food, but it's kinda foolish to give them money for trips.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like These beg-packers need to step their game up. Become a travel vlogger and have views/subscribes/likes fund their carefree lifestyle.

I dislike both.
lmao, right on.

like this and subscribe and click on my patreon if you'd like to hear more and subsidize the fact that you don't like your own life so i can sell you vicarious enjoyment

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, it's a huge double standard. I can just waltz into Thailand with no issues and no visa, they don't even ask about return flight. Only the airline seems to care. Wife can't even get a visa to visit the US for a week.
Then again, Singapore wouldn't let me in once (detained me and sent me back to Thailand) for not having a proper Thai visa. They don't play there.

"Am I being detained? AM I BEING DETAINED?"

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
As an Indonesian and this is based on my experience, yeah, most of them are white beg packer. Sure, i saw black or spanish guy once in a while, but the phenomenon is mostly dominated by white guy

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this was a thing. There was this guy in the train a while ago who was enthusiastically talking about his recent trip to Colombia with no money. I thought that was interesting because I didn't think it was possible to do that and get back up here in Vancouver with just hitching rides, which he claims he did. I thought he was full of shit, but now I wonder why one would do this kind of stuff

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
See these people all over, geeze it pisses me off. Spent likely $2,000 + to get to the other side of the world to take money from people who likely won't see that amount in their lifetime. The shit outta here with that.

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think what the average American makes is kind of irrelevant in this context, because I highly doubt any of these begpackers have jobs. I mean, what job is going to let you take a 3-6 month paid vacation so you can beg your way through Europe.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if these begpackers mooched off of family or exploited the welfare system. US welfare can be surprisingly lucrative, compared to the rest of the world, depending on your home state and circumstances.

Even if they don't have jobs their circumstances when they get back home and the likelihood of them getting jobs that can support their basic needs are probably better than the natives that they're trying to get money from to support their trips. It's also not that unheard of for people to get longer periods of unpaid leave. I'm not from the US but one of my friend's just got approval to be away from work for a year (unpaid of course). Another often take 1 month long vacations, sometimes twice, in the previous jobs that she had. It depends on the company you're working for and whether there's anyone to cover you.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
everytime Ive visited thailand I have seen this and I would think "really?" Or "how did you mess up and end up like this over here? Smh"

And its like.... who am i gonna give this money to in thailand.... the poor thai woman with a baby and no legs in the street? Or this white dude who looks perfectly healthy and fine? Cmon bro

Oct 26, 2017
Just a side note:
What's with some cultures and this absolutely baffling practice of using a different language term to describe foreigners when conversing in English?
It doesn't add anything, does it?
The only purpose I can think of is to increase the othering in a statement, which seems like a bad thing

Probably been answered by others by now but in some places the terms are adopted into English so it sounds more normal than saying "foreigner" or something

Mungan

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Visiting poor places for your own indulgence is treading a thin line in itself.
This just makes me sick.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's a huge double standard. I can just waltz into Thailand with no issues and no visa, they don't even ask about return flight. Only the airline seems to care. Wife can't even get a visa to visit the US for a week.
Then again, Singapore wouldn't let me in once (detained me and sent me back to Thailand) for not having a proper Thai visa. They don't play there.

It's because there's very little chance most people are actually going to stick around. Whereas the vast majority of illegal immigration into the US is—contrary to right-wing scare-mongering about rapists crossing the border—people legally entering and overstaying their visas.
See these people all over, geeze it pisses me off. Spent likely $2,000 + to get to the other side of the world to take money from people who likely won't see that amount in their lifetime. The shit outta here with that.

They're probably spending way less than that.

My neighbors traveled to east Asia on $250 a seat from NYC. If you've got a flexible schedule and are open to going just about anywhere, you can travel dirt cheap.

Which just underlines how bizarre these beggars are.

Oct 26, 2017
Absolute fucking morons. Their lives are so fucking boring that they start to daydream about being poor while at the same time never having to really worry about anything because they are one phone call away from having everything payed. Fake humility by people that never had an interesting day in their life.

If you want a fucking authentic travel experience, get a job to pay rent and food on location. Nothing more authentic than to experience what local salaries can buy you in housing and groceries.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's because there's very little chance most people are actually going to stick around. Whereas the vast majority of illegal immigration into the US is—contrary to right-wing scare-mongering about rapists crossing the border—people legally entering and overstaying their visas.

They're probably spending way less than that.

My neighbors traveled to east Asia on $250 a seat from NYC. If you've got a flexible schedule and are open to going just about anywhere, you can travel dirt cheap.

Which just underlines how bizarre these beggars are.
At least they stay and work, unlike these damn begpackers

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
I would love to see them try this in Nigeria. Too bad no one visits (not-South) Africa unless it's to do charity work or business....

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I would love to see them try this in Nigeria. Too bad no one visits (not-South) Africa unless it's to do charity work or business....
How do you think they'd be received?
Also: Do you mean the country or the southern part of the continent? Because if you mean the country: HA! My flight to a different country leaves in a few hours.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
How do you think they'd be received?
Also: Do you mean the country or the southern part of the continent? Because if you mean the country: HA! My flight to a different country leaves in a few hours.

They'd likely be recieved with absolute scorn. Its a country that's largely obsessed with wealth, so a person even perceived to be wealthy (for instance me being born in the US and visiting family/conducting business) will be pampered and catered to, but someone begging for money, especially if they are "supposed" to be from one of those wealthy countries would be at best looked at as a fool who wasted thier money. At worst they'd be treated with hostility as the concept would be insulting.

Then again, the parts of Nigeria I typically spend most of my time in, Umuahia and other parts of Abia State, aren't really tourist locations, so it might be different in say, Abuja(Lagos, another major city, would likely be either too rough to survive for a begpacker in the poor areas, or too inaccessible in the richer areas like Victoria Island or Lekki).

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
I don't see why white people don't want to give these ones up. It's a lay up. You basically have some well fare babies who want to travel, but don't want to pay, so they beg in second to third world countries. Where the population makes 10 dollars a day, fraction of what they make back home. The only reason they aren't run out of town or kicked out is because they are white tourists. If they were African or Middle Eastern, hell even other SE Asian countries, they be treated a shit load different(Poorly), but get a pass since they are white. Many of these countries don't want bad publicity to reach the world, since they rely heavily on tourism from Western nations.

It's a quintessential case of white privilege from people who are parasites. They ain't worth defending and only give other white people a bad rap.
You think this would be obvious, but the second some people hear white privilege they feel they must shriek NOT ALL WHITE PEOPLE from the rooftops and make the issue as "this has nothing to do with race" as possible.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You think this would be obvious, but the second some people hear white privilege they feel they must shriek NOT ALL WHITE PEOPLE from the rooftops and make the issue as "this has nothing to do with race" as possible.

Yeah it's super annoying and lacks self awareness or self reflection. I'm from a country whose majority is Chinese (from Singapore) and a recent viral incident led to someone writing an article on "Chinese Privilege". The only comment left on the site was someone saying that it should be called "majority privilege" because "chinese privilege" is the author being subconsciously racist😒.