• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually mind about the Epic key anything like as much as I dislike the idea that I - as a consumer - have been 'sold' to Epic.

Edit: Actually, it's just struck me that there's no actual need for Steam to enter this discussion at all. There's nothing functionally preventing Ysnet from offering a DRM-free standalone installer of the software with no ties to EGS at all. There's no "Steam won't let us do that" aspect to it, and I suspect backers would be broadly okay with that.
Yeah. Despite learning about why Steam is the default, I still prefer no launcher. Even then, uh, so, they like willing to switch versions if they still won't hand out a Steam key?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Valve has like zero reason to help out anybody in this situation lmao

If the pubs/dev wanna dig outta the hole they got they gotta provide the shovel too
No, they have to! It is exactly what the so-called "monopoly" of PC gaming should be doing in helping the poor, defenceless Epic out in securing customers via a shady deal that screws customers over. But you know, 88% cut and all.

I don't know what people are expecting out of this, you just know it isn't going to be anything positive and only those in countries with decent customer protections will be able to gain refunds for such anti-consumer behaviours. Why on Earth people even think to support Epic and that the gaming media is so in bed with them is just mind boggling. Media I understand because why bite the hand that feeds you, but consumers are literally fucking themselves over by supporting an actual monopoly and its horrendous tactics that include charging MORE despite better dev cuts in countries like Australia. I guess this just shows how strong the biased opinion trotted out of Steam being a "monopoly" without actual push back or fact checking.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

If the pubs/dev wanna dig outta the hole they got they gotta provide the shovel too

Sweeney pointing to the Steamworks documentation and saying "It says x, which I think means y" is very blatantly him trying to throw the ball in Valve's court by setting the stage for a Trumpesque claim that he'd like to do right by backers but isn't allowed to do so.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX

Mac and Linux cancelled. No. Refunds.

Maybe check for yourselves before blindly following the herd? I know piling on is so tempting when someone says something you don't like, but in the end you just make yourselves look bad.

People saying this is more acceptable because the Mac/Linux userbases are small...wow. You have me convinced! Anyway, I'll stop rocking the boat. Nothing can possibly compare to this Epic Store stuff. Got it.
Are you literally ignoring that Linux play is dead with this move while simultaneously trying to defend it by saying it's ok because Bloodstained cancelled its native Linux version? You're giving me a headache

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I initially thought we may end up with "Epic code now, FREE Steam code in a year" which...isn't ideal, but now I question if that will even happen due to the reselling of those codes.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I initially thought we may end up with "Epic code now, FREE Steam code in a year" which...isn't ideal, but now I question if that will even happen due to the reselling of those codes.

That's the minimum they can do though.
They're not in a position to be picky about possible reselling of a few codes.

Backers aren't in the wrong here. And kickstarter campaign or not, it doesn't matter. There's an order made through fangamer. Which says "Steam code" "Steam Physical" so even the "system req subject to change" doesnt matter because backers arent standing their case on system req but their order which clearly names a Steam item.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I still fail to understand why Timmy Tencent is perfectly fine with SONY taking 30% but not Steam?

uziYTqS.png

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sweeney pointing to the Steamworks documentation and saying "It says x, which I think means y" is very blatantly him trying to throw the ball in Valve's court by setting the stage for a Trumpesque claim that he'd like to do right by backers but isn't allowed to do so.

Tim basically reads like Trump. His way of pushing narratives and pushing for words. For exemple, when he talks about storefront cut, he talks about the "Steam tax" and when it's EGS, he talks about the "storefront fee".

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The difference being people will end up with two codes for the same game. That's thousands of codes being gifted/sold. I'm not saying it's a valid reason for them not to do it, I'm saying I can imagine a world in which Deep Silver are dumb enough not to.

I mean, we're in a world in which Deep Silver might have sold PC backers to Epic.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I still fail to understand why Timmy Tencent is perfectly fine with SONY taking 30% but not Steam?

uziYTqS.png
Funniest thing is, you could literally do that by setting up a Steam key distribution store that only takes 12%. Do the curation thing, add promotions, ignore reviews and forums if you want to. Give out free games. EGS would be hilariously more effective as a developer-helping tool if all they did was do the same things they do, but use Steam's infrastructure like other key resellers. I mean, moneyhats aside.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019

uziYTqS.png

The usual reason that people gives on why it's perfectly acceptable for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Apple to get 30% cut and not Valve is because they are the platform owner and they develop their hardware. Valve didn't.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I also love how Tim.claims they'd be glad to pay those 30% for the backers... When key generation for backers is free.

Freakin liar.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Please don't focus on the 30% cut even in this thread. We don't need another discussion for that.
Let's focus on the fact another week passed without a statement, the fact Deep Silver/Ys Net clearly saw by the surveys there's a demand for the Steam version of the game and they are refusing to offer backers a one year later Steam key because maybe they hope for people to double dip on this.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't focus on the 30% cut even in this thread. We don't need another discussion for that.
Let's focus on the fact another week passed without a statement, the fact Deep Silver/Ys Net clearly saw by the surveys there's a demand for the Steam version of the game and they are refusing to offer backers a one year later Steam key because maybe they hope for people to double dip on this.

Well, they have yet to adress it. It seems we may get an answer the upcoming week.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Also, something I've been wondering.

Could it be possible to use the trial version as a way to get Steam keys for the full game before release ?

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
The difference being people will end up with two codes for the same game. That's thousands of codes being gifted/sold. I'm not saying it's a valid reason for them not to do it, I'm saying I can imagine a world in which Deep Silver are dumb enough not to.

They could make them literally the same code. It wouldn't kill it completely, but it'd stop some as it could be an attack vector to gain control of a Steam account.

The usual reason that people gives on why it's perfectly acceptable for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Apple to get 30% cut and not Valve is because they are the platform owner and they develop their hardware. Valve didn't.

I know you're not making this argument, but it's a good jumping off point for something I've been rolling around in my head. We've had versions of this discussion for a few months now and I think it really comes down to a failure in the community to use the appropriate terms.

Steam, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo are platforms.
PC, Xbox One, PS4, Switch are hardware.

It's confusing because, in the case of the consoles, the platform and the hardware are inseparable (Microsoft's own efforts to decouple the Xbox brand from specific hardware and expand into the PC market notwithstanding). While there is R&D costs associated with hardware, there are also costs associated with platform development -- and Valve incurs the most costs out of anyone on the PC. Hell, Steam is the most robust and feature-packed platform in gaming right now, period.

And while we could discuss how Valve has entered the hardware space before, with its efforts in VR and the Steam controller that have R&D costs just like any of the consoles, their main business is the platform. It's just about their only opportunity to make money. Whereas the platforms that also have dedicated hardware can theoretically make money a number of times through hardware and accessory sales, licensing, etc.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
They could make them literally the same code. It wouldn't kill it completely, but it'd stop some as it could be an attack vector to gain control of a Steam account.

I know you're not making this argument, but it's a good jumping off point for something I've been rolling around in my head. We've had versions of this discussion for a few months now and I think it really comes down to a failure in the community to use the appropriate terms.

Steam, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo are platforms.
PC, Xbox One, PS4, Switch are hardware.

It's confusing because, in the case of the consoles, the platform and the hardware are inseparable (Microsoft's own efforts to decouple the Xbox brand from specific hardware and expand into the PC market notwithstanding). While there is R&D costs associated with hardware, there are also costs associated with platform development -- and Valve incurs the most costs out of anyone on the PC. Hell, Steam is the most robust and feature-packed platform in gaming right now, period.

And while we could discuss how Valve has entered the hardware space before, with its efforts in VR and the Steam controller that have R&D costs just like any of the consoles, their main business is the platform. It's just about their only opportunity to make money. Whereas the platforms that also have dedicated hardware can theoretically make money a number of times through hardware and accessory sales, licensing, etc.

Valve has R&D costs, they own and maintain their own global server network. They don't use AWS like Epic or Azure. They operate separately from the rest of the internet.

Jun 26, 2018

uziYTqS.png

He's just so full of shit in so many ways...

Epic "curates" their store, i.e. their "We won't allow crappy games on our store" policy, meaning most indies won't even be allowed on the Epic store.

For example: https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/517273-epic-games-store-rejected-assault-android-cactus

If something as decent as Assault Android Cactus can't get on there, what hope is there for 99% of other smaller developers.

Guess they'll have to go to the places where they can make money, like steam or GOG (maybe, their curation can also be dodgy at times), or itch.io, which by the way, allows developers to get a 100% cut, not 88%.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Any PC backers that has an Epic account without registering? I am confused on why my email for KS has an Epic account...

I am registered as an Russian.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Any PC backers that has an Epic account without registering? I am confused on why my email for KS has an Epic account...

Before to open Epic account you didn't need access to email just email address because you didn't need to confirm email. So if someone had your email they could make account. I don't know if that is still the case.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Until fairly recently, you could create an Epic account (the same for Fortnite and the Unreal Engine) without verifying the email, which lead to some situation where people would create accounts with other emails.

Before to open Epic account you didn't need access to email just email address because you didn't need to confirm email. So if someone had your email they could make account. I don't know if that is still the case.

They corrected that 2 months ago or so.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
You can easily see what Tim is doing.

he is trying to turn this into a Steam PR problem about how Steam is refusing to let Epic provide Steam keys as opposed to Epic not wanting to let people get Steam keys because that undermines the whole point of buying out exclusivity.

And it goes to the point that a billion dollar CEO is now starting to lie about the policies of his competitors.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Congratulations. Some Russian dude made an account with your email, and was allowed to so because Epic don't do even basic email verification (or didn't, until recently).

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's also a matter of AAC not being a new game. Epic's store only seems to accept old games if they're given away for free as part of their weekly promo first.

Which, for a store run by someone who constantly tries to paint himself as "Hero of the devs/pubs!", is pretty shitty. An old game is only of value to EGS if it's initially given away for free, because giving it away for free brings in new users to claim the free game. It's not about the game adding value to the store, or the dev/pub getting a better cut than Steam, it's about how many potential new customers that free game can bring to Epic.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder why they need to make an account. The account has nothing in it.

If someone starts using account, they can recover it saying it was stolen.

I think it's also a matter of AAC not being a new game. Epic's store only seems to accept old games if they're given away for free as part of their weekly promo first.

And in many of cases developers of free games also have EGS exclusive. Package deal.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

On the contrary they may see giving steam keys to the backers a good thing because it keeps those backers in the steam ecosystem and away from their competitor. I think Valve and Steam benefits from playing the good guy so to speak.

I actually think Epic is more likely the reason keys might not be offered. I bet the deal was made to effectively buy people into the epic ecosystem and there may be clauses against giving steam keys before it comes out on steam as it goes against what epic is trying to do.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no, now I made the mistake on checking Sweeney twitter and reading this linked article
Tim Sweeney Talks Epic Games Store – Copies Sold, Kickstarter and More

which supposedly was "an example of activist journalism done right. The writer takes his editorial flamethrower to Epic and the industry at large, while including complete primary source material. This arms the reader with facts and opinions from which to form an independent judgment. "

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
To all slacker backer: if you paid with Paypal you should be covered by the Buyer Protection.
Today I decided, despite the payment being several years old, to open a dispute with Paypal. So I attached a couple of screens of my Fangamer survey, explained the situation and opened the ticket. Now Ys Net needs to reply within some days, if they don't I can escalate the thing.

I suggest you to do the same, so even Paypal will see similar cases are being open to underline how scummy the situation is. I mean, if the game will release on Steam one year later I really doubt it will for full price, considering the console version too will be half the price or even less meanwhile, so if you want the game on Steam it's worth trying to get back your money now and eventually purchase the Steam version later when it releases.

EDIT: Nothing, Paypal automatically closed the disute because the case is older than 180 days.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, now I made the mistake on checking Sweeney twitter and reading this linked article
Tim Sweeney Talks Epic Games Store – Copies Sold, Kickstarter and More

which supposedly was "an example of activist journalism done right. The writer takes his editorial flamethrower to Epic and the industry at large, while including complete primary source material. This arms the reader with facts and opinions from which to form an independent judgment. "

The way he is slobbering over that article and how it's 'proper journlaism' is so Trumpian its scary.

Especially how proper 'activist journalism' is how we discovered how he worked his Devs to death to get Fortnite on top. Which was just a few months ago,

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Kickstarter post from Iris Rei that's able to get a full refund.
Probably because of Canada's customer protection
Code:
Just got off the phone from my bank and they have confirmed that my charge has been reversed. Apparently VISA and Mastercard no longer have any time limit for transaction dispute as long as you can provide a solid argument on why you are asking for this. It helps if your account is a good standing account as well and you have been with them for a while.

So if these cockroaches won't refund you, go to your bank. I might be banned by Kickstarter for this but hey, they fucked me first.

Good luck everyone, I'm done with this madness. Enjoy your chargebacks YS, I'm sure your merchant system will impose a penalty on your bottom line for these.
That's encouraging.

I might give it a try tomorrow.
Any luck?

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I checked the slacker backer FAQ and there's no mention about a deadline. It still says you can change your reward, with no limitation, from Fangamer's survey page, so where's the truth?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You can easily see what Tim is doing.

he is trying to turn this into a Steam PR problem about how Steam is refusing to let Epic provide Steam keys as opposed to Epic not wanting to let people get Steam keys because that undermines the whole point of buying out exclusivity.

And it goes to the point that a billion dollar CEO is now starting to lie about the policies of his competitors.

I'm sure PC Gamer is typing up the article at Tim's request as we speak.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
I checked the slacker backer FAQ and there's no mention about a deadline. It still says you can change your reward, with no limitation, from Fangamer's survey page, so where's the truth?
Fangamers probably didn't even bother to prepare any disk or the 1 cent DVD case yet.

We are going to going to get the cheapest mail that takes months to reach which has a paper slip printed in Ys Net office.

O7NhUZi.png

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Creating a rift between a developer and their audience, causing irreparable damage to reputation and credibility, killing off a funding source, poisoning the well for other developers using it. Makes it difficult to uphold the image Epic wants for itself; of supporting developers. But even supposedly trying to facilitate the rectifying of this situation, Sweeney can't help but betray that Epic's number one priority is to try to do damage to Steam.

I don't particularly care what problems and obstacles Sweeney has created for himself in causing this situation. Trying to shift blame onto Valve is some pathetic shit. Guess he's hoping if games media covers this they'll include his statements without challenging them. Which seems like a reasonable expectation.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Creating a rift between a developer and their audience, causing irreparable damage to reputation and credibility, killing off a funding source, poisoning the well for other developers using it. Makes it difficult to uphold the image Epic wants for itself; of supporting developers. But even supposedly trying to facilitate the rectifying of this situation, Sweeney can't help but betray that Epic's number one priority is to try to do damage to Steam.

I don't particularly care what problems and obstacles Sweeney has created for himself in causing this situation. Trying to shift blame onto Valve is some pathetic shit. Guess he's hoping if games media covers this they'll include his statements without challenging them. Which seems like a reasonable expectation.
Yeah, considered how journalists don't give a fuck about the whole situation and some of the media keep defending what Sweeney is doing.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
We are going to going to get the cheapest mail that takes months to reach which has a paper slip printed in Ys Net office.
I patiently await the multiple anger threads once the game is released and backers don't have their physical copies because the cheapest, slowest shipping service is being used.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
We sort of kinda have an update, sorta

FeE5frl.png

Tweet link: https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1142609109696614401

That first tweet is mine. Someone replied to my tweet saying that Epic would never do that because that would allow us to escape Epic, and Tim replied saying that they would be 100% supportive of devs who wanted to do that.

Seems like the "solution" will be to choose a EGS key at launch or a Steam key after the exclusivity ends.

I'm "okay" with this but I REALLY hope this includes physical copies, because I backed for a PC physical copy.

Waxyresidude

Oct 31, 2017
Where is Cedric Biscay's blame in this whole situation? Hasn't Shibuya Productions been publishing this game since the beginning? Wasn't it Biscay that pushed for crowdfunding from the onset since big publishers didn't want to take a risk on this old IP? Wasn't it Biscay's company's job to secure the investors and promote the game, especially on PC?

Cedric's involvement in Twin Mirror now becoming an EGS exclusive raises red flags.

I haven't forgiven Cedric for the MAGIC 2018 "Shibuya Crazy Time" no-show of gameplay footage and his deceitful tweet alluding to it.

He seems to have a much bigger role in all of this poor public relations than what I see being discussed here.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Where is Cedric Biscay's blame in this whole situation? Hasn't Shibuya Productions been publishing this game since the beginning? Wasn't it Biscay that pushed for crowdfunding from the onset since big publishers didn't want to take a risk on this old IP? Wasn't it Biscay's company's job to secure the investors and promote the game, especially on PC?

Cedric's involvement in Twin Mirror now becoming an EGS exclusive raises red flags.

I haven't forgiven Cedric for the MAGIC 2018 "Shibuya Crazy Time" no-show of gameplay footage and his deceitful tweet alluding to it.

He seems to have a much bigger role in all of this poor public relations than what I see being discussed here.

My understanding is that Shibuya Productions handed over the publishing duties to Deep Silver for the PC version of Shenmue 3, when they signed on in 2017.

"Deep Silver has become publisher, so of course they are handling the marketing and distribution. My personal role (as Co-Producer) hasn't changed."

Last edited:

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
We sort of kinda have an update, sorta

FeE5frl.png

Tweet link: https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1142609109696614401

That first tweet is mine. Someone replied to my tweet saying that Epic would never do that because that would allow us to escape Epic, and Tim replied saying that they would be 100% supportive of devs who wanted to do that.

Seems like the "solution" will be to choose a EGS key at launch or a Steam key after the exclusivity ends.

I'm "okay" with this but I REALLY hope this includes physical copies, because I backed for a PC physical copy.
I don't think this quality as an update, since Epic should be the very last part to talk in this whole thing.
It's astonishing Ys Net/Deep Silver went radio silent while the Kickstarter comment section of Shenmue 3 turned into a place full of angry people, each day it passes they got angrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.