Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Please note that this new mechanic is exclusive of the Rush Duel format, which has NOT been adapted to the international TCG and is Japan exclusive for now. Rush Duel among other things has features such as unlimited normal summons more info on the format here

What Is A Maximum Monster?

Monsters with "Maximum" written on them are called Maximum Monsters!

Summon a special monster by using 3 specific Maximum Monster Cards!

Yggdrago-the-Heavenly-Emperor-Dragon-Tree-768x373.jpg

How To Maximum Summon

(1) Assemble the three Maximum Monster Cards you need in your hand!

(2) During your Main Phase, Special Summon those 3 specific monsters at the same time from the hand to your field! If you already controls monsters on your side of the field, you can send them all to the Graveyard to Maximum Summon!

Maximum Mode's Ultra Powers!

Ultra 1: They can only be in Attack Position
Monsters in Maximum Mode do not have a DEF stat because of their overwhelming ATK! Crush your opponent with overwhelming ATK!

Ultra 2: Overwhelming ATK!
If they're in "Maximum Mode", their ATK Power is the Maximum ATK printed on the center monster!

Ultra 3: 3 Monster Effects!
You can use all of the monster effects written on each card's "Maximum Mode"!

Features of Maximum Mode

・ When referring to the name, Level, Attribute and Type of a monster in Maximum Mode, check the center card!

・ The 3 monsters in "Maximum Mode" are treated as one card!

・ Please note you cannot line-up "Maximum Mode" monsters with other monsters!

・ When you have a "Maximum Mode" monster you can Tribute a "Maximum Mode" monster to Tribute Summon a Level 5 or 6 monster from your hand. If you do, all 3 Maximum Monsters you control are sent to the Graveyard.

・ If you use a Maximum Monster as a regular monster, you can Normal Summon/Normal Set/Special Summon them based on the stats written on the card! However, please note that its "Maximum Mode" effects cannot be used.!

・ You can't go into Maximum Mode by Summoning all three Maximum Monsters to the field. You must always use all 3 cards in your hand to Maximum Summon if you wish to use "Maximum Mode".

・ You can activate the effects written on each card once per turn! 【Continuous Effects】 are effects that continue to apply even without declaring an activation! However, even if you have three effects, a "Maximum Mode" monster is treated as one card, so it can only attack once per turn! Because their ATK is so high, let's deal a ton of damage with one attack!

Super-Magitek-Deity-Magnum-Over-Road-768x373.jpg

Source:
beyondtheduel.com

[RD/MAX1] Maximum Summon cards & Rules!

Here’s more news for that new Rush Duel gameplay mechanic you’ve heard about! RD/MAX1-JP010 天帝龍樹ユグドラゴ[L] Yggdrago the Heavenly Emperor Dragon Tree [L] LIGHT Cyberse / Maximum / Effect LV4 900/0…

And before you say anything, yes. It reminds you of these:
514WcfUJz6L._AC_.jpg

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Is Yu-Gi-Oh throwing stuff at the wall & seeing what sticks? Didn't they pull back a little on the whole Link summoning thing recently? Is Rush duel like Speed duel, so we shouldn't expect this anytime soon to be a regular thing?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
We'll they've done toku heroes before, only a matter of time before they added megazords too. Tell me there's plans for a maximum version of Exodia?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
My knowledge of Yu-Gi-Oh only goes as far as the original show and cards.

it went bonkers really quick.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it took YGO this long to do the whole cards combining mechanic. I think Pokemon, Duel Masters, and Magic have all done it by now

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
So I played yu-gi-oh a lot as a teenager in high school which was around 2001-2007, but I still play with some friends even now, but whenever we play we still just use our older decks with a few newer cards thrown in, none of the link summon and all that stuff, it just got too overly complex for no reason and the power creep was insane so we just have a lot more fun playing with older cards and not having to worry about all this stuff haha, man yu-gi-oh changed a lot since then.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're ready to push out a Rush Duel exclusive ultimate blue eyes eventually amirite

still confused why those particular cards are Cyberse

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's just me or Yu-Gi-Oh is super hard to understand these days?

I bought Legacy of the Duelist and there's so many new stuff that I feel like a boomer.

Sep 14, 2019

I bought Legacy of the Duelist and there's so many new stuff that I feel like a boomer.

Rush Duels are a bit more simplified, but they also use different cards.

Speed Duels also simplify the mechanics a bit and use the regular Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, but I think the cards have to say "Speed Due;" somewhere.

But yeah, the game for me has gotten a little too complex for my taste.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly given how the Rush duel format works this mechanic seems super gimmicky. The cards are essentially bricks unless you have all three, rush duels don't have much in terms of searching to my knowledge, and because you always draw to 5 cards (unless you're already at 5 in which case you draw one) at the draw phase having bricks in your hand is even worse because it limits the number of new cards you can draw for next turn. Feels like a strategy that exists only for the anime

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Play the story mode in the order of the anime series. It'll introduce you to concepts as you go.

Also, just remember this: not every decks needs every kind of mechanic. Personally, I don't use pendulum monsters, link monsters, or synchros. You can just use what you like.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Play the story mode in the order of the anime series. It'll introduce you to concepts as you go.

Also, just remember this: not every decks needs every kind of mechanic. Personally, I don't use pendulum monsters, link monsters, or synchros. You can just use what you like.

Yup, it really depends on your strategy and play style.

Some decks completely do without traps spells and even monsters.

I do like using all the mechanics but there's like 1 or 2 Decks that make that work tops. Any other attempt would be a mess.

So how is the SEVENS anime?

The best apology for VRAINS we could've gotten.

Funny, colorful, energetic, the cast has great chemistry and our female lead has 4 whole wins in the first 20 episodes and is treated with respect.

1c34bbdddf0d856080433852d3d8d292523e0ab0.gifv

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Rush Duels are a bit more simplified, but they also use different cards.

Speed Duels also simplify the mechanics a bit and use the regular Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, but I think the cards have to say "Speed Due;" somewhere.

But yeah, the game for me has gotten a little too complex for my taste.

I'll try these modes, I used to play Duel Links and it was simplified too.

Yeah, I need to stop trying to do everything possible in a match/deck.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it really depends on your strategy and play style.

Some decks completely do without traps spells and even monsters.

I do like using all the mechanics but there's like 1 or 2 Decks that make that work tops. Any other attempt would be a mess.

The best apology for VRAINS we could've gotten.

Funny, colorful, energetic, the cast has great chemistry and our female lead has 4 whole wins in the first 20 episodes and is treated with respect.

1c34bbdddf0d856080433852d3d8d292523e0ab0.gifv
What (viable) deck doesn't use monsters? Closest I can think of is Sky Strikers but pure Sky Strikers still plays 3 Ray in the main deck and the extra deck monsters (ignoring hand trap monsters like ash blossom since you aren't ever really using them as monsters anyways)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly pendulum should only ever be used in decks built around the mechanic. Splashing pendulum monsters into other decks is usually not useful unless you don't plan on using them for the pendulum aspects anyways.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What (viable) deck doesn't use monsters? Closest I can think of is Sky Strikers but pure Sky Strikers still plays 3 Ray in the main deck and the extra deck monsters (ignoring hand trap monsters like ash blossom since you aren't ever really using them as monsters anyways)

Viable? Zero lol

I was thinking casual gimmicky stuff like Trap monsters and the likes you use to dick around with friends haha

Nov 2, 2017
It's interesting that the first Rush Duel exclusive summoning method and mechanic doesn't utilize the Extra Deck at all.

Since, the Extra Deck Zone does exist for Rush Duels. I wonder when they will start using it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Viable? Zero lol

I was thinking casual gimmicky stuff like Trap monsters and the likes you use to dick around with friends haha
I feel like even trap monster decks would probably play an extra deck in this day and age lol. BUt yeah, those are also complete garbage for the most part (Well unless you count Eldlich, but the golden land trap monsters still need you to be playing Eldlich to be useful anyways)

No spell or trap decks have definitely been viable. Though granted even most monster mash decks will still play 3 copies of sekka's light since it only benefits decks that aren't going to be playing spells or traps

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's probably the best advice.

Also, you can get XYZ monsters in most decks as they're pretty damn easy to summon.
This is true (and XYZ decks recently got a super powerful tool in the form of this bad boy)
450px-DivineArsenalAAZEUSSkyThunder-PHRA-EN-ScR-1E.png

That said in terms of generic extra deck monsters links are still the best, since nowadays there are a lot of really good link monsters that can fit into pretty much any deck

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Rush Duels still haven't made it over? That seems kinda nuts (as someone that just vaguely follows stuff through occassional threads on here at this point admittedly, haha.) Are people generally liking those, btw? Or is it seeming like an eh side game gimmick deal since it doesn't use normal cards?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
So what drives the mechanics nowadays is it the anime? or is maintaining the card game the priority? Im assuming whoever is in charge of the game consults on the anime?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So what drives the mechanics nowadays is it the anime? or is maintaining the card game the priority? Im assuming whoever is in charge of the game consults on the anime?

Main format is taking a break from new mechanics and it's instead focusing on making new core expansion celebrating the most popular cards for all generations
They started with Gen 1 Gaia the Fierce Knight, then Gen 5 Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon and so on.

Rush Duel is marketed as a new format completely and this is the first time they decide to add a new mechanic. Rush Duel fast rules and mass card draws per turn makes Maximum monsters very playable even if gimmicky

Maximum would be laughed out of classic formats.

So I guess they're trying to exploit what makes Rush unique for these new batch of summoning methods

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Main format is taking a break from new mechanics and it's instead focusing on making new core expansion celebrating the most popular cards for all generations
They started with Gen 1 Gaia the Fierce Knight, then Gen 5 Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon and so on.

Rush Duel is marketed as a new format completely and this is the first time they decide to add a new mechanic. Rush Duel fast rules and mass card draws per turn makes Maximum monsters very playable even if gimmicky

Maximum would be laughed out of classic formats.

So I guess they're trying to exploit what makes Rush unique for these new batch of summoning methods
I will say, I really like how they go back and add new cards to older archetypes. I've been playing around with a Dark Magician deck ever since I got some Magicians' Souls cards in the switch game. Between them, a few new magic/trap cards, and Magician of Chaos it's just full-on beast mode every turn. Just constant special summons from the deck, XYZ summons, fusions, and re-special summons from the graveyard.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Make the long awaited Fire Dragon the next cover card in the OCG and I can die happy.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP, reading my mind with the LEGEND pointing out, lol

Really liked the concept there (art wise), really like it here for the same reason. Never played YuGiOh but those full Monsters look awesome.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
On topic, a version of this could make a cool new extra deck summon. Get three cards in your hand and use them to special summon a monster from your extra deck. Kinda like an XYZ or Synchro, but without the need for cards on the field.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
On topic, a version of this could make a cool new extra deck summon. Get three cards in your hand and use them to special summon a monster from your extra deck. Kinda like an XYZ or Synchro, but without the need for cards on the field.

It could work if all 3 cards are in the extra deck. So it balances out the insane ATK and 3 sets of effects by making them so you can only fit 5 in the extra deck.

It's an interesting idea for sure

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Wow, Rush Duels still haven't made it over? That seems kinda nuts (as someone that just vaguely follows stuff through occassional threads on here at this point admittedly, haha.) Are people generally liking those, btw? Or is it seeming like an eh side game gimmick deal since it doesn't use normal cards?

It appears Konami America thinks it's too similar to their Duel Links inspired "Speed Duel" format that is TCG exclusive. Despite them being quite different besides the board.

These new Rush exclusive mechanics might finally make them change their minds.

Oct 30, 2017
Man I haven't played in like 10 years but I'd kinda like to get back into it again.
What is the best resource to learn about new rules/what I've missed?