• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Yu_Yu_Hakusho_logo.png

latest
What is Yu Yu Hakusho?

Yu Yu Hakusho is a manga created by Yoshihiro Togashi that ran in Shonen Jump from December 3, 1990 to July 25, 1994 with a total of 19 volumes and had a total of 175 chapters. The series is a battle shonen and a very influential one at that. If Dragon Ball set up the basic format for these types of stories, then Yu Yu Hakusho helped codify a lot of the more specific ideas and situations that tend to pop up in the genre.

What is Yu Yu Hakusho about?

The series follows Yusuke Urameshi, a delinquent junior high school student who is good at street fighting and not much else. Yusuke is a punk through and through, which is why everyone was so surprised when he sacrificed his life to save a child from a speeding car. Even the afterlife was unprepared, so they hadn't been able to arrange a place for him yet. Instead, Koenma, second-in-command of the Spirit World, gives Yusuke a trial to gain his life back. After successfully returning to life with the help of the strangely chipper grim reaper Botan, his rival Kuwabara, his best friend and definitely not girlfriend Keiko, Yusuke is told that he is now required to become the Spirit Detective and track down and defeat the demons that are threatening the living world. Yusuke, along with his friends, two reformed (to varying degrees) demons named Kurama and Hiei, and the world's greatest psychic Genkai, must protect the world from all sorts of dangerous foes.

The Anime

Like a lot of popular manga, Yu Yu Hakusho got an anime adaptation. Unlike most other adaptations, Yu Yu Hakusho's anime does not suffer from filler or padding in the slightest. You won't need any filler guide here. You can just watch the whole series from start to finish without issue. It's a really great adaptation all around, and it nails every key point of the series. It does switch things up a bit compared to the manga, but that's actually a good thing. The anime manages to improve on points where the manga had problems, particularly the ending, which had to be rushed in the manga due to executives trying to mess with the series. On top of all that, the anime also has a fantastic dub which still holds up despite its age. The anime is probably the version of Yu Yu Hakusho that most people would recommend.

Where to Read and Watch

The manga is licensed by Viz Media and can be bought on their site, though the first 3 chapters are free.

https://www.viz.com/yuyu-hakusho

The anime is currently available on FunimationNow, Crunchyroll, and Hulu.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/yu-yu-hakusho/

http://www.crunchyroll.com/yu-yu-hakusho

https://www.hulu.com/yu-yu-hakusho

1401876_English_FeaturedSpotlightShowTablet_c1b329ce-e04a-e711-8175-020165574d09.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, what great timing, I just got done rewatching the series for the first time in a while (first time on Blu-ray too).

I love YYH a lot. The way Togashi writes the characters is soooo good. Every character has a distinguishable personality and they have such unique dynamics and relationships with each other. Like Yusuke's relationship with Hiei is so different from his relationship with Kuwabara, which in turn is so different from Hiei and Kuwabara's relationship, and so on. It's a really well made series. Also its horror aesthetic is awesome.

And they're all such good friends and they care about each other and its just so wholesome.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get around to finishing YYH. I stopped halfway through the Dark Tournament. The last thing I remember is
Yusuke getting a powerup from Genkai.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
When I first watched the show. I thought Kurama is a woman and Genkai as a man.

my b.
latest

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Good timing. I just started rewatching a couple of days ago and am currently on the the 4 Saint Beasts arc

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
I should complete this series, got most of the dvd's from years ago. Just lacking the last one.
They came with those little keychains of the protagonists, yet none with Kuwabara which is BS. How dare they leave my homeboy out.

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely surprised this wasn't a thread already.

Still top three dub of all time, if not just shy of the absolute best.
It took me derailing the Dragonball Super thread too many times and Kagari asking for the YYH talk to be placed in a YYH dedicated thread to get this to happen.
Insult the Jagan Eye/Hiei and get your fucking shadow burned into a wall.
What I like about this show over DBZ is that everyone can hold their onw in a fight. Everyone got wins in this show.
There is no Yamcha in this show.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Hiei got a raw deal, didn't he? All that power and he gets straight up benched right after the Dark Tournament.

I don't lurk the DBS threads cause I watch dub only for that show, but it's nice to finally see a thread for YYH.
I don't think Hiei got exactly benched. I just think his personality was right for territory fights. He doesn't exactly like to follow rules. Once it became "Let's fight Sensui" he got more play plus he was in the Demon Tournament and works for Mukuro now. He made out fine.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Hiei got a raw deal, didn't he? All that power and he gets straight up benched right after the Dark Tournament.

I don't lurk the DBS threads cause I watch dub only for that show, but it's nice to finally see a thread for YYH.
One of the reasons I don't care for the Chapter Black arc is due to most of the cast getting shelved for more Yusuke time. Even Kurama didn't do much until they entered the cave. Kuwabara got the short end of the stick in that arc as well.

Good point.

I was referring to the start of the Chapter Black arc mostly, it just seemed like the three new guys (I forget their names honestly) were put into play to ground the power levels back to a more human (read: cerebral instead of physical) level.

Admittedly, I'm in the middle of a rewatch at the moment, I've forgotten a lot of the last parts of the series over the years and I'm kind of drip feeding it instead of marathoning the remainder of the show.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
latest

Nah, Hiei gets treated really well through the series. He comes back for when things really start heating up again and gets plenty of shine. The only character to really get benched was Kuwabara.
Hiei stunted so hard in his first tournament match that he was useless for two whole rounds lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Nah, Hiei gets treated really well through the series. He comes back for when things really start heating up again and gets plenty of shine. The only character to really get benched was Kuwabara.
Both of those characters went away when it made the most sense for them to do so. Hiei had nothing invested in the Sensui arc. That was a great reminder of who he was.

And I love Kuwabara, he's my favorite character, but what was he going to do for years in Demon World. He had more of a life outside of fighting than Yusuke.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched much anime in my lifetime but I loved this show on Toonami back in the day. I should re-watch it sometime.

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random how was Genkai wished back? Like did they have dragonball type things that the show dropped? After the first tournament

Oct 25, 2017
Both of those characters went away when it made the most sense for them to do so. Hiei had nothing invested in the Sensui arc. That was a great reminder of who he was.
Pretty much. Hiei doesn't really care what happens to mankind. His priorities are pretty much Yukina and himself in that order. Even if his friendship with Yusuke dragged some decency out of him he's still himself. This isn't Fairy Tale.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Good . . . Good. This is a thread that should exist. Yu Yu Hakusho is one the best battle shonen series ever. Best fucking dub too.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
One of my friends is currently making a Juri cosplay. She did Koto last year.

YYH is my fav anime ever. So freaking awesome, and can't wait for the new anime.

Oct 27, 2017

And I love Kuwabara, he's my favorite character, but what was he going to do for years in Demon World. He had more of a life outside of fighting than Yusuke.
I always thought it was strange that people wanted Kuwabara in the Demon World arc. His character is basically fully developed by the end of Chapter Black. There's nowhere for them to take him. Where are you going to take his character after making him watch Yusuke die? Everything else after that would be so below that. I also love Kuwabara, but like his character was wrapped up all nice and pretty, while Yusuke, Hiei, and Kurama needed to have their 'growing up' kind of arcs.

I love these characters a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it was strange that people wanted Kuwabara in the Demon World arc. His character is basically fully developed by the end of Chapter Black. There's nowhere for them to take him. Where are you going to take his character after making him watch Yusuke die? Everything else after that would be so below that. I also love Kuwabara, but like his character was wrapped up all nice and pretty, while Yusuke, Hiei, and Kurama needed to have their 'growing up' kind of arcs.

I love these characters a lot.
Kowabara would either die or get bodied in that tournament. His fighting days were done it would make no sense for him to take part in it. Hiei and Kurama had plenty of growing left to do though, especially Hiei. There were a lot of things he didn't come to grips with. I do hate how Hiei and Yukina never really got a happy moment.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been slowly working through it and its very good. I love the water colors.

Only complaint is that, after watching up through the Dark Tournament, it hasn't quite reached the heights of that first arc about him getting his life back.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Happy this thread exists now. Always came into the Super threads too late to talk about YYH! Togashi made something special with this one. And the anime made something amazing out of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Happy this thread exists now. Always came into the Super threads too late to talk about YYH! Togashi made something special with this one. And the anime made something amazing out of it.
It's a labor of love and it's pretty much impossible to discuss a tournament arc up without bringing up the Dark Tournament since it was done so well.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Just started the Dark Tournament so far so good.

YYH Episode 28 - Zeru is a total badass and wow that kick to Kuwabara's neck from that kid was so brutal.
YYH Episode 29 - Half of this episode was hilarious with Kuwabara losing the fight by being a idiot, and Kurama using that dude as fertilizer.

Oh shit according to the preview it seems like Hiei is going to use that Black Dragon Flame thing next chapter. Now im hyped.

EDIT: YYH Episode 30 - Zeru got fucked, the guy turn into a dust silhouette in the wall. Those gif's lived up to the hype, that was amazing. Also this guy Chu is awesome, he just left the ring to choke a someone in the audience lol

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

YYH Episode 28 - Zeru is a total badass and wow that kick to Kuwabara's neck from that kid was so brutal.
YYH Episode 29 - Half of this episode was hilarious with Kuwabara losing the fight by being a idiot, and Kurama using that dude as fertilizer.

Oh shit according to the preview it seems like Hiei is going to use that Black Dragon Flame thing next chapter. Now im hyped.

EDIT: YYH Episode 30 - Zeru got fucked, the guy turn into a dust silhouette in the wall. Those gif's lived up to the hype, that was amazing. Also this guy Chu is awesome, he just left the ring to choke a someone in the audience lol
Chu comes out as one of my favorite characters in the Dark Tournament lol. Dude's an absolute blast.

Oct 25, 2017

Chu's fucking hilarious, he loves himself some of that Koto tail. Zeru got fucking smoked. That wasn't dust, that was ash and he got his shadow scorched onto the stadium wall. That was probably the most vicious one shotting I've ever seen. It took Hiei like 15 eps to find another shirt to put on.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwabara had me tears when he was messing with a sleeping Yusuke instead of going in the ring, all while the referee was counting down.

Chu getting pissed that nobody believed he's strong and going to the audience to choke the heckler was great.

OP
OP
Voltt

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Chu's cool, but I think there's one part of his fight that goes on way longer than it needs to. It's pretty much my only pacing complaint for the series.

How many times can the characters say "knife edge death match" in a single episode?

Not to sell him short, though. Chu's a really fun character.

Oct 25, 2017
Chu's cool, but I think there's one part of his fight that goes on way longer than it needs to. It's pretty much my only pacing complaint for the series.

How many times can the characters say "knife edge death match" in a single episode?

Not to sell him short, though. Chu's a really fun character.
That fight was really ripper. Though yeah I can see and agree with your pacing complaint.