--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he was apparently forcibly removed from the previous big title to the point where he's got enough of a case to pursue legal action for it. That's pretty far from just being petty for no reason.

He's literally in the middle of legal action against this man's company for being poorly treated in the previous project he worked on with them, bit premature to just be calling him a piece of shit for this specifically. There are plenty of other reasons though, lol

You don't get removed of a project by 6-7 departments (Including HR) without you being a piece of shit.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a bad look no matter what happened with Balan.

OP
OP
MechaJackie

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I still don't think it's fair to blame Itagaki for everything that happened with Devil's Third. Naka's post Sega career is decent anyway, I liked a good handful of Prope's games.

I'd say that Shinji Mikami has had the best career of these guys post leaving big company. Founded two studios, directed two games, and launched careers for plenty of young talent.
Pretty sure Itagaki is working on NFT games now...

Subaru

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I still don't think it's fair to blame Itagaki for everything that happened with Devil's Third. Naka's post Sega career is decent anyway, I liked a good handful of Prope's games.

I'd say that Shinji Mikami has had the best career of these guys post leaving big company. Founded two studios, directed two games, and launched careers for plenty of young talent.

Kamiya have the best track record post-Capcom. But yeah, those are good examples.
I think it's unfair to say that Itagaki is on the same "level" than Inafune and Naka. It is pretty clear that Ninja Gaiden and DoA have "his dna" and even if Team Ninja is doing better nowadays, DoA 5 is meh and Ninja Gaiden 3 is terrible. Itagaki may be a terrible person (I don't know), but at least his games were goods.

Azrest makes TERRIBLE games and Yuji Naka seems a terrible person.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he was apparently forcibly removed from the previous big title to the point where he's got enough of a case to pursue legal action for it. That's pretty far from just being petty for no reason.

He's literally in the middle of legal action against this man's company for being poorly treated in the previous project he worked on with them, bit premature to just be calling him a piece of shit for this specifically. There are plenty of other reasons though, lol
So you realize how strong your case actually is has literally nothing to do with whether or not you can pursue legal action. You can pursue legal action on pretty much anything for any reason. You can't really say the case is strong unless he actually manages to produce results (which hasn't happened if this is ongoing). People pursue legal action over complete bullshit that has no chance of winning all the time. Sometimes for the sole purpose of making the other party miserable

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I know Naka is pretty infamous for being a massive egotistical asshole but holy shit man! Oshima and Naka are typically credited as co-creators of Sonic! 30 years of what had to be some level of friendship (since they kept working together) down the tubes. The meeting in which Oshima fired him had to have been HOT!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I didn't know there was a second development studio behind it. I thought it was just the SE-backed Balan Company.

...Why do people still give out contract work to Arzest? Their entire portfolio is nothing but duds. Not even Nintendo was able to make a miracle work there.

Nobody goes to Arzest expecting Super Mario Odyssey, they go to them because they do a project typically on a decent budget and get it out the door on time, pretty much always in a functional (if unremarkable) state.

It's not like they're only involved in complete duds, they (as either Arzest or Artoon) have worked on decent ports and even some parts of good original games including: The Last story, Yoshis Wooly world (3DS port), the streetpass app for the 3DS, the Giant battles for some of the mario and luigi games, Yoshis Island DS (Which is far from a terrible game, the 810 metacritic it has is pretty much right).

Of course, they also have a significant list of duds, nobody is going to deny that.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
That reminds me, our local video game store still has a big pile of physical Switch versions for 10 bucks each here. I always think about picking one up just for the collection but not even 10 bucks and physical could make buy it yet. 😅

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder what this dude said about Hirokazu Yasuhara, the real mastermind behind the game/level design of the OG trilogy

Some of the details, like making a map, quite straight-forward stuff, was done by the guy who's working on Jak and Daxter right now. He was involved until Sonic 3, and after that for eight years he didn't do anything in Sega, so he was quite useless in Sega. We really didn't need him. He was really doing nothing with Sonic.
That kinda reads like something Trump would say. :(

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Nobody goes to Arzest expecting Super Mario Odyssey, they go to them because they do a project typically on a decent budget and get it out the door on time, pretty much always in a functional (if unremarkable) state.

It's not like they're only involved in complete duds, they (as either Arzest or Artoon) have worked on decent ports and even some parts of good original games including: The Last story, Yoshis Wooly world (3DS port), the streetpass app for the 3DS, the Giant battles for some of the mario and luigi games, Yoshis Island DS (Which is far from a terrible game, the 810 metacritic it has is pretty much right).

Of course, they also have a significant list of duds, nobody is going to deny that.
The 3DS port of Wooly World was still by Goodfeel. But they did make Hey! Pikmin, which is fun.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
That reminds me, our local video game store still has a big pile of physical Switch versions for 10 bucks each here. I always think about picking one up just for the collection but not even 10 bucks and physical could make buy it yet. 😅
I bought a physical copy for Xbox One because I remember seeing it sold only like 10,000 somewhere? Probably Japan or something.
It's the only game of mine I have still sealed. Not because of "holding any kind of value," but because I have ZERO interest in actually playing it, lol.
He unfollowed it, but never seemed to deny it, and the NFT game twitter account still claims that he is involved in the project.
That's a damn shame. I wish I didn't see this today, lol.
Hopefully he finds himself out of it.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Azrest makes TERRIBLE games and Yuji Naka seems a terrible person.
This is not entirely fair. Hyperbole about their games aside, Arzest (and Artoon before them) are really only guilty of making games that are just okay and maybe bland at their worst. Like I get that people are down on Yoshi's Island DS and New Yoshi's Island for being inferior to the SNES game, but they are still largely competent games. The fact that they keep getting work (even by companies they've allegedly failed in the past according to fans) is a testament to the fact that they make acceptable work and are seemingly easy to work with.

The exception is Balan, and, well, it's not hard to see the two possible factors that made that the outlying case for them.

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Good god the amount of hyperbole with lack of the full picture....this is all being compared to stalinism, echoes of trump and the dude was called evil....Maybe take a step back and revert to simply what it seems to be, pettiness.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you don't personally like someone (or, say, even if they have been "cancelled"), going that far is not okay.

Subaru

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This is not entirely fair. Hyperbole about their games aside, Arzest (and Artoon before them) are really only guilty of making games that are just okay and maybe bland at their worst. Like I get that people are down on Yoshi's Island DS and New Yoshi's Island for being inferior to the SNES game, but they are still largely competent games. The fact that they keep getting work (even by companies they've allegedly failed in the past according to fans) is a testament to the fact that they make acceptable work and are seemingly easy to work with.

The exception is Balan, and, well, it's not hard to see the two possible factors that made that the outlying case for them.

Yeah, but I think that making BLAND games is worse than making bad games.
I don't know, I really think everything they made are so generic... I realy hate these games.
It's really disapointing.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I think that making BLAND games is worse than making bad games.
I don't know, I really think everything they made are so generic... I realy hate these games.
It's really disapointing.
Yeah, but a history of making bland games (and Artoon at least worked on a couple of legit good games) is still not them having a history of making terrible games when they only really have one actual terrible game on their record and it's the one Naka directed.

Though we can't deny the SquareEnix factor

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Naka's history of burning whole projects to the ground over nothing makes it really hard to believe any actions against him during Balan's development were unjustified.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

Yoshi's Island DS is genuinely terrible. Like, even ignoring all the blatant level design, play control, art and audio issues, there's a literal blindspot in the middle of the playing field at all times. No other DS game I've played utilized the dual screens that poorly.

I'm not defending Naka here (I don't have much faith in his current game production capabilities and he's also a dick), but another thing to consider with Balan is that it was a full priced console exclusive. Arzest got away with releasing junk for so long not because the games were necessarily better (to be fair, most were, with the exception of Yoshi's Island DS and maybe Topsy-Turvy), but because handheld games are often (stupidly) held to a lower standard. If Balan Wonderworld was released on the 3DS or something it's likely would have gotten the same "bland but not terrible" pass that all of Arzest's games get from professional game reviewers.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
At least he could have photoshoped a Sonic face onto Naoto Ohshima's body, it wouldn't be so offensive, Sonic is used to being surrounded by shitty friends anyway.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
A reminder that Yuji Naka threatened to quit sega unless the team making Sonic Extreme stopped using his knights engine. Thus scuttling the project, robbing the saturn of a much needed killer app and contributing to the death of the system. This was after he had visited the team early in production, seen the state development was in [Sega of america didn't even know what specs the saturn had at this point, and obviously had no devkits.] and merely said 'Good luck.'

He's always been a petty bitch.

Last edited:

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Here's another fun one.. once someone made a fanart with Sonic, NiGHTS and Balan and tagged both Naka and Oshima; and Naka personally asked to remove Oshima from tagging lol

image.png

image.png
Oh wow.

I was gonna say he was scribbled out because he probably didn't wanna be shown in a photo but this is something else...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is some shit a 10 year old would do in a yearbook to someone they don't like. Childish.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Dude's an asshole and you still have people here saying we should wait to see the "full picture". When everyone in your team want you out you are the toxic one.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People comparing him to Stalin and not a high school girl is the level of overreaction I expect from Era.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder what this dude said about Hirokazu Yasuhara, the real mastermind behind the game/level design of the OG trilogy

"So I was involved with every aspect of the original Sonics. Some of the details, like making a map, quite straight-forward stuff, was done by the guy who's working on Jak and Daxter right now. He was involved until Sonic 3, and after that for eight years he didn't do anything in Sega, so he was quite useless in Sega. We really didn't need him. He was really doing nothing with Sonic."
I can't imagine how big of a piece of shit you would have to be to say something like that. Like, jesus christ. What a petty, self-aggrandizing asshole.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Every story that I hear paints a picture of Naka being overall detrimental to Sega the entire time post 16 bit era. Not terribly shocked to hear he's still being himself.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
HAHAHAHAHA did he really just MS paint him with black outline? What the fuck? 🤣

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Naka comes across as an engineer with 0 emotional intelligence and got promoted to positions he had no business holding due to being able to code.