• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
"Yoshi P and his team completely rebuilding the game from the ground up" was what made FFXIV good. Square Enix isn't an all-encompassing studio name referring to the same group of people.

Because the execs at square gave him and the team the resources to do it
you can't discount all the good stuff the company does and say the company is shit and doesn't care about games etc
they released FF7R, GotG, LiS TC, Triangle Strategy, Voice of cards, BD2, Nier Reincarnation, NEO Twevy in the past 12ish months

Even Sony releases shit games
I think this is mostly on Yuki Naka himself

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question here; what in the fuck would more time and money have ever done to improve Balan that didn't involve a complete nuke and reset in development?

Translation of Twitter thread

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Initial translation. It's very much a rush job, so any Japanese speakers can feel free to correct my translations where needed.

バランワンダーワールド発売の約半年前にバランワンダーワールドのディレクターから外される業務命令が出されましたので、スクウェアエニックスに対して裁判所で訴訟を提起していました。裁判が終わり業務命令が現時点で効力は失われていると言う事ですので、お話したいと思います。
About half a year before Balan Wonderworld was due to be released, a work order was made to remove me as director, so I took Square Enix to court to appeal it. The trial is over and the work order has now expired, so I would like to talk about it.

ゲームとゲームファンを大事にしないスクウェア・エニックスは駄目だと思います。
裁判の資料によりますと、2つのポイントで私はバランワンダーワールドのディレクターから外されました。プロデューサー、宣伝担当、サウンド担当、担当取締役、人事部によって実行されました。
I think Square Enix are bad* for not respecting games or valuing their fans. According to the trial documents, I was removed as director based on two points. This was carried out by the producer, marketing director, sound director, representative director** and HR.
* general negative word, don't take it literally - it's often used when warning people away from things
** no real translation, more like "board member in charge"

一つはプロモーションでゲーム楽曲をYouTuberがピアノ演奏をして譜面を公開するとの事で、オリジナルゲームを出すのにアレンジされた楽曲を、しかもゴーストライターが譜面を書くのがおかしいと思い、オリジナル楽曲の譜面を出したいと主張した事でトラブルになりました
The first was that the promotion included having YouTubers release piano covers of the game music including the score. I thought it was strange to release an original game with an arranged score, having the score be written by a ghostwriter, so I insisted that I wanted to release the original game score.

もう一つは裁判資料によると、開発中に不具合が発生しているにも関わらず修正せずにアーゼストが提出してくる事に対して私が言った事や、ゲームを良くする為に私がコメントしている事でアーゼストとの関係が崩壊していると書かれていまして、それをプロデューサー藤本に大島が話をしたと言う事です。
Another point in the trial documents: I pointed out that bugs* had shown up during development, and Arzest had presented the game without fixing them, and I had made other comments intended to improve the game. The producer, Fujimoto, had complained to Ohshima that this had damaged the relationship with Arzest.
* not sure if singular or plural
** no real translation, more like "board member in charge"

もう一点、大島が藤本に宛てたメールで、「先ほどスタッフを集めて、体験版をずらす件を伝えました。「このご判断は藤本プロデューサーです。我々は藤本さんの為にも頑張りましょう」と伝えたところスタッフから拍手と歓声が起きました。想定外でしたので感動致しました。
最近、沈みがちだったスタッフに活気がよみがえりました。誠にありがとうございました。スタッフ一同、頑張らせて頂きます。」
との事ですが、スケジュールは私ではなくプロデューサーが決めるので関係ないですし、スケジュールがきついのはプロデューサーが決めた事です。何かおかしいですよね。
One more thing, Ohshima had sent a mail to Fujimoto saying "I just assembled the staff and told them we were delaying the demo. 'This decision was made by Mr Fujimoto. Please continue working hard for Mr Fujimoto's sake.' The staff then cheered and clapped. It was unexpected so they were very moved. It infused new energy into a team that was low on morale, and they really thanked us and kept working hard."
This was weird to me, because the schedule is set by the producer, not me. The producer was the reason that it was so right in the first place. Isn't something off here?

オリジナルゲームを出すのに、アレンジした楽曲の楽譜だけが世に出るのは、やはりよくないと思います。みなさんご存知の口ずさめるゲーム音楽があると思うのですが、それってゲームのオリジナル楽曲かと思います。
Of course, releasing an original game with only an arranged score is wrong to me. To me, game music that makes everyone hum along with it is the original music in the game.

ゲームは最後までいかに良いゲームにするかを努力して、ゲームファンの方々に買って頂いた時に楽しんでもらいたいと思って作る物だと思います。コメントしてくるディレクターを時間が足りないので、相談もなしに外して一切関わらせないと言うのはおかしいと思います。
I think when making a game, you should strive hard to create a good product which fans will buy and enjoy. When a director is making comments about the game, I think it's wrong to say that there's no time so we're removing you from the project with no consultation and completely cutting you off.

SNS等のリツイートやいいね等も禁止されていましたので、スクウェアエニックスはゲームファンの方々を大事に出来てないと思います。バランワンダーワールドの様々なコメントやとても素敵なイラストを書いて頂いたりと沢山ありましたが、私が何も出来なくて本当に申し訳なく思っています。
I was also blocked from doing likes and retweets on social media, so I think Square Enix isn't respecting the fans. I was seeing lots of comments and amazing drawings related to Balan Wonderworld, but I couldn't do anything about it.

私としては未完成のバランワンダーワールドを買って頂いたお客様には本当に申し訳ないと思っています。
今後はSNS等で、私のみにメンションやタグ付け等をして頂いた場合には反応が出来る事もあるかと思います。
I really want to apologise to all customers who bought an unfinished Balan Wonderworld. From now on, I think I might be able to respond if you just mention or tag me on social media.

ゲームを作っているのですから良いものを作る為の修正要望を出すのは当然の事だと思いますし、もしそれが出来ないのであれば話し合いをすれば良いだけだと思いますが、それが出来ないようです。ゲームを大事に出来ていないと思います。
I think it's obvious that if you're making a game, you want to make a good one so you send fix requests. If I can't do that, then even discussing it should be fine, but I can't. I think the game was not respectfully put together.

ソニックザヘッジホッグですが、マスターアップの2週間前にリング1枚でも持っていたら死なない仕様に変更しました。みなさんご存知のこの仕様にいたるにはやはりギリギリまでゲームをよくする事をしていたので、現在も世界中のみなさんに楽しんで頂けているのではと思っています。
For Sonic the Hedgehog, we were two weeks before mastering the game when we set it so that you don't die if you're holding at least one ring. Everyone knows this feature, but I was really working until the last minute to get it done so that people could enjoy it.

ギリギリまでゲームをよくするのがゲームクリエイターですしそれが出来ないようにすると言うのはやはりおかしいと思います。弁護士先生にお願いして、なんとか最後まで開発のコメントを出すだけでもと交渉しましたが、全く聞き入れなかったので裁判所で訴訟を提起しました。
I think a game creator should be working to the last minute to improve, and blocking that is wrong. I asked my lawyer to negotiate so that I could just send development comments but it was not granted so I had to go to court.

バランワンダーワールドはみなさんご存知のような結果と評価になっているのはこの件が大きく関係しているのではと思っています。自分で最初から作り出した作品がこの様な結果になっているのは本当に残念です。
I think that this is a major factor in why Balan Wonderworld ended up the way that you know it. It is truly a shame that something I invented from the ground up would end up like this.

私的には未完成作品「バランワンダーワールド」を世の中に出してしまった事が、本当に残念でなりません。色々な事を考えてアクションゲームとして世の中にきちんとした形で出したかったです。スクウェア・エニックスとアーゼストはゲームとゲームファンを大事にしない会社だと思います。
Personally, I think that Balan Wonderworld was released as an unfinished product, and that is shameful. I thought up many ideas and wanted to put out a polished action game. I think that Square Enix and Arzest are companies who do not respect games or value their fans.

Last edited:

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Another point in the trial documents: I pointed out that bugs* had shown up during development, and Arzest had presented the game without fixing them, and I had made other comments intended to improve the game. The producer, Fujimoto, had complained to Ohshima that this had damaged the relationship with Arzest.

I... feel like we are missing A LOT of context as to how this actually went down

OP
OP
ZeroDS

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This is a long Twitter thread and he goes into details at points. Please wait for a translation before basing opinions on the small snippet in the OP.
My everyday life is lived in Japanese. I didn't make this thread under a weird pretense to shit on Yuji Naka or Square ENIX.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
I liked Balan Wonderworld, but Yuji Naka has always been an asshole who will take the quickest and most opportune time to knock down his colleagues. However, the fact that they removed him as director with half a year of development and he hat to take them to court is incredibly fucked up. It's also incredibly obvious it's unfinished when they were forced to make an e-book out of the game's actual story.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I... feel like we are missing A LOT of context as to how this actually went down

Yeah, this point in particular sticks out to me as being kind of odd. But it also fits very cleanly into Naka's history of wanting to take credit for anything good about his games and point fingers at everyone else for anything that goes wrong.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My opinion: i doubt SE would of meddled in the Naka's development of Balan unless something was actually wrong.

me looking objectively says sure SE has fault as well, but the game had problems at a core level which were Naka's decisions so he is not without big blame as well

SE does fuck up all the time and say dumb things. But to ignore all the good things they do, or at least the good ideas they give but fumble (like some of their remasters and ports lol), is not a good thing to do

End Of day there is a line you have to draw between company and developers 95% of the time. Companies eexist to make money, so to say they don't care isn't wild either. At the same time you can't completely absolve creators of fault either

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care much for Square Enix as a corporation, but I also don't care much for Yuji Naka. I don't appreciate the fact that his career and influence was inflated by the failure to recognize the generous contributions of the other people who created Sonic and I while I've enjoyed a few of his games beyond the Sonic ones he worked on, I think he has repeatedly shown trouble executing his vision for the game and his repeated feuds with different publishers paint him in a less than favorable light.

He's a reverse Koji Igarashi. Where Yuji Naka always wanted to be center stage and play blame games, Igarashi would always take time to mention the work of others, take responsibility for mistakes, and even be humble that they did the best they could given development timelines. Both would be credited by media journalist groups as "creators" of their games but only one of them would always mention the work of those who worked alongside him.

Only one of these developers has shined after leaving their parent company. It is not Yuji Naka.

659aPW3.jpg

And before anyone asks for my motivation here, I was looking for an excuse to post this picture. I do think the different outcomes of game developers associated with a company going on their own and having completely different trajectories in accomplishing that is fascinating, though.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My everyday life is lived in Japanese. I didn't make this thread under a weird pretense to shit on Yuji Naka or Square ENIX.
Oh, it wasn't aimed at you, apologies for not being clear. I was more going for the stream of hot takes in the thread up to that point.

Last edited:

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna give Yuji the benefit of doubt here. Yeah he's been an ass over the years, but I always felt like he's made decent games, well at the least the ones I've tried. Balan was just abysmal.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
According to the translation he was removed from the project six months before release.

That's like, really late into development. Game was probably set in stone by that point, there was no salvaging it.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
He's a reverse Koji Igarashi. Where Yuji Naka always wanted to be center stage and play blame games, Igarashi would always take time to mention the work of others, take responsibility for mistakes, and even be humble that they did the best they could given development timelines. Both would be credited by media journalist groups as "creators" of their games but only one of them would always mention the work of those who worked alongside him.

Only one of these developers has shined after leaving their parent company. It is not Yuji Naka.

659aPW3.jpg

And before anyone asks for my motivation here, I was looking for an excuse to post this picture. I do think the different outcomes of game developers associated with a company going on their own and having completely different trajectories in accomplishing that is fascinating, though.
Bloodstained was good, but lets be real, the kickstarter itself was a disaster. What we got at the end of the day wasn't from kickstarter funding, it was from outside investers.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the whole "the father of [insert classic franchise here]" narrative always seems to wind up problematic in the end. Outside of Miyamoto, who has his own suite of problems but who has largely stepped out of actively making games in the modern era, almost all of them - Inafune, Naka, Igarashi, Sakaguchi, etc - are kind of case studies on how the "father of X" thing is mostly marketing branding that doesn't work once the creators are removed from the franchises that made them household names.

I will at least give IGA credit for fighting really hard to make Bloodstained work, even if I don't think it's anywhere close to as good as the Castlevanias he worked on, though.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Their shitty PC ports already show that Square doesn't give a damn about their customers or games. They're just a shitty publisher that only cares about making a quick buck.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly not surprised if true. SE is a company I don't trust to make quality games on first drop anymore. I'm surprised when they do.

For all the shit some western pubs get, SE does all that and worse

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If I was trying to setup alignments for game developers, I would sooner put Yuji Naka close to Keiji Inafune than to Koji Igarashi.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodstained was good, but lets be real, the kickstarter itself was a disaster. What we got at the end of the day wasn't from kickstarter funding, it was from outside investers.

That was the goal of the Kickstarter though. It was to fund 10% of the game which then ballooned to half of the total budget. The only issue I find with the game was the Switch port and the content rollout post-release, but much of that can be explained to salvaging the Switch version and COVID.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Square-Enix issued an process to put me away from the project. This request was co-signed by: director, producer, sound producer, sound designer, art director, technical manager, quality assurance lead, 3d artist 1, 3d artist 2, programmer 1, programmer 2, programmer 3, janitor, cleaning staff, Human Resources representative, marketing lead, finance representative, gameplay designer, level designer, mocap animator, voice actor 1 and backend programmer. I was also asked to not interact publicly with promotion for the game and to not engage with people who were still potentially going to buy it.

No idea what the deal was tho.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
"Square Enix" is a bit of an overarching term here.

"Yoshi P and his team completely rebuilding the game from the ground up" was what made FFXIV good. Square Enix isn't an all-encompassing studio name referring to the same group of people.

As far as we know Square Enix management re-routed a lot of staff to make A Realm Reborn happen that was working on other games.

--

Other than that, when you have a director, 2 producers, 1 sound designer, and I do not know who else saying that you shouldn't manage the project anymore..

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Discounting Yasuhara's contributions to Sonic is just the norm unfortunately. Google literally lists Shigeru Miyamoto over him when you search "creators of Sonic".

IMG_9065.png

Rare to think of times where Sega themselves acknowledged him alongside Naka and Ohshima either, so the onus is on many.
I love that even Miyamoto has a "what the fuck am I doing on this list?" look in his picture.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
From all we know about Naka, there would almost definitely be a Rashomon effect if we were to hear what happened from anyone at SE or Arzest.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SE has been very shareholder centric / money hungry for the last decade. If you look at the amount of flops, particularly with their western branches it's pretty obvious.
I remember they acquired a western dev and they left relatively promptly because they didn't like the culture etc.
Together with cases of abuse.
I think only their main final fantasy ip's or those attached to veterans are the only ones not cutting corners. But even then we get things like ffxv.

While I think balan could have been decent, it had really weird decisions made I assume at the start, so I doubt it would have been a good game, maybe only decent if it wasn't mismanaged.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
someone is TLing now

So basically, Naka is saying that he was fired because someone else told the managing producer that Naka's complaints about unfixed bugs caused a breakdown in the relationship with the developer.

Depending on the way Naka communicated those complaints, if Ohshima is correct, then I'm not surprised Square fired him, because if you're working with an external developer to make a game, one of your chief goals as a director should be making sure the relationship with that external dev is positive, otherwise something exactly like this happens.

Rampaging around blaming the developer and calling them out for shoddy work isn't a great way to make sure a development partner feels engaged and delivers a quality product.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Gee, I wonder why they might try to push the man with a history of shit-talking coworkers in interviews and taking credit for things he didn't come up with away from the spotlight. It really boggles the mind.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Yuji Naka truly believes his design ideas were brilliant and the only reason they didn't work was because Arzest wasn't a good enough team to bring his ideas to life. People may not love the Yoshi games Arzest made over the years, but they're masterclass compared to Balan so I don't think that argument holds up.
On the other hand, the Yoshi games are also comparatively far less ambitious. They were pretty blasé despite the fact that they had clear design blueprints to work off of. Balan in comparison being a multiplatform 3D game, as a completely new IP and concept with more of a visible budget than their previous works, is a big leap compared to their already unremarkable portable games that had been their stock and trade up until that point. It's easy to believe that from a developer perspective they were being put into a position of punching above their own weight.

Of course, a lot of things that can go wrong in these cases can usually be held to management, and it's also the mark of a good director/producer to steer them in the right direction.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
SE is no angel but Yuji Naka is an arrogant dick who thinks he's a hotshot and acts like creation of Sonic is all him. I give no shit to how Balan could have turned out in his visions and nobody else should.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he participate on marketing videos before the release of the game with one of the tops of Arzest, that also participated in Sonic Team many years ago? I have the feeling that he was still involved in the game until launch date.

True that we may never know objectively what happened behind the scenes. I wouldn't discard discussions and problems between Naka, Arzest and S-E. However, considering what kind of person Naka has been in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if his toxic behavior also was a problem in development and things are not exactly as he mentions.

Another thing would be if the game was released without bugs or technical issues, if the game would have still been good, which honestly I doubt.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Given all ive heard of Yuki Naka from the sega years I take anything that egotist says with a grain of salt. All theyd do is openly talk about their collection of sports cars, insular methods of running teams and uncooperative tactics and hatred of doing the job they were hired to do. They even went on record as saying they wanted Sega to keep making hardware even though they know it wouldve bankrupted them solely for the selfish reason that they enjoyed developing hardware more than games. Dudes a self centered shit who doesnt care whats best for companies or games or design they just wanna do whatever is their comfort zone. Dude was 100% a John Romero wannabe. A knockoff of another game dev celeb poser.

Id never put them in charge of something after all the info that slowly trickled throughout the decades since dreamcast era Yuji Naka. Ditto for Takashi Iizuka even if I respect them for saving Sonic Heroes by 1 man doin everything to the point of serious health issues.

Some folks dont work on teams well, dont take feedback and adapt design, and overall dont help projects. They trend jump, do halfass derivatative work, or are entirely just living on past success. Naka is one of the biggest that exemplifies this. Theyre largely a one trick pony and know it. Its why theyve always been so insular and refuse to share tech or control of design as theyre quickly outpaced.

Last edited:

jay

Oct 25, 2017
People here that actually believe that Balan turned out to be an unfinished mess because Yuji Naka is some kind of idiot hack and not because Square Enix gave to this project some shitty tiny budget just as they do with basically every third party side-game are out of this world.

Square could certainly be to blame. That said, Naka was an amazing programmer but has a very checkered history as anything else.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Square could certainly be to blame. That said, Naka was an amazing programmer but has a very checkered history as anything else.
And then some. He liked Geist Force so much he was wanting to FIRE theyre studio just to steal their engine for Sonic. Wouldnt work with them, do collab work or share credit. Just wanted to prop his portfolio on their work.

This vid doesnt even cover ALL of the shit that went down with Naka from the Sonic Team years but it paints a solid image of what he is really like.

Dont depend or trust Naka. Hes an egocentric self serving asshole.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Naka is anything but genuine. He was known in the industry for talking shit about western devs directly on their faces but doing it on Japanese so they couldn't understand him. I'd wait to see how this lawsuit ends before we say who's right and who's at fault.

www.nintendolife.com

Yuji Naka Killed "Dreamcast's Star Fox", Says Former Sega Producer

"I'm going to tell the truth, and if it comes back to bite me, so be it"
Damn. Really puts another perspective on Peter Moore's "tell Yuji Naka to go fuck himself".

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Let's be fair, Babylon's Fall was Platinum being unprepared to make the kind of game they wanted to make and Square basically went "we can't keep throwing money at this".
Yeah, it's surprising the Game was announced in 2018 and in the trailer mentioned 2019 release lol. If they stuck with that game until now, I have really wonder about this one, Their failings seem like different things. LIke I'm just reading on Yuji's history and with that recent chain of tweets, doesn't really paint him in a better picture than he thinks it does but much worse since it sounds like lack of self reflection. Like the part about the breakdown in relation to complaints is totally exactly that and then goes on about other aspects of SE which in that case ,more people within the organization seemed to have issues and thats not even reading through the whole past for which has repeated behavior. It's like that saying, You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Not entirely true. Square actually pulled a SHITLOAD of staff off of other projects, including Versus XIII, to work on the A Realm Reborn project. It was an absolutely massive
I want to say I remember reading that literally every internal team at the time had at least a few staff members pulled into helping right that ship. That was definitely an all hands on deck team effort.

Playing the smallest violin for Naka considering the stories out there, I can certainly buy the narrative of "everyone involved sucks" though.
Basically where I'm at on this.