fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Balan Wonderland damaged Square's bottom line, Yuji Naka's career, the public perception of both Nights and PS2-era platformers, and had the potential to cause seizures. But hey at least… um.

Hm.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom-Hearts-HD-2.8-Final-Chapter-Prologue
220px-BDFF_Logo.jpg
og.png
octopath-traveler-cover.jpg
51by6UJ5EAL._SY445_.jpg

I could go on tbh. Balan Wonderworld isn't as bad as a bunch of these.
I hadn't seen Various Daylife before, that is incredible, lmao

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
This just makes me even more morbidly curious about trying Balan Wonderworld.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Is Yuji Naka the guy that threw a hissy fit when Peter Moore told him Sonic was aging out? Pretty sure Moore told him to go fuck himself. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.

Oct 25, 2017
Rodea on Wii U/3DS is trash that barely resembles the original vision and Naka had nothing to do with those versions. Rodea on Wii was the game he made and it's a bona fide hidden gem.
Wait Rodea was on the WiiU? And it was bad? What was the difference between versions?

Had always wanted to pick up a copy...

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i hate to see this. he's an icon, absolute legend in the day for phantasy star 1 dungeon layout, SMS port of space harrier, the best of sonic level design, PSO, nights, burning rangers and so much more - yeah he's past his prime & hasn't found his footing without the larger studio/resources but that's true for suzuki and so many other greats. man deserves better.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The other thing is that in an ironic twist Yuji Naka and Takashi Iizuka were like opposites of another. Yuji Naka is a fantastic producer but an arguably terrible director (before Balan, his only other directed game that I'm aware of was the very small Chu Chu Rocket), while Iizuka is a garbage producer but an outstanding director as he directed the entirety of the Adventure era (yeah Shadow was a misfire but that likely had other factors).
It is clear Naka is a better fit for coding rather than directing, but this still does not make much sense. ChuChu Rocket is legitimately a masterpiece and Iizuka directed arguably loads of trash, especially when you consider something like NiGHTS Journey of Dreams. He also produced games like Sonic Mania, Generations and Colors so...

While I am pretty confident the core issue was poor developer choice more than anything, Balan Wonderworld's development was likely filled with yes men. The one button concept is exactly the kind of stuff that Sonic, NiGHTS and Rodea were designed around and I cannot imagine any people straight out of college wanting to argue with such a legend.

Yeah, there's some toxic, childish fucking posts in this thread. Stick to your day job, comedians. Wishing the best for Yuji Naka.

Edit - To clarify, I'm not speaking on the quality of the game (I haven't played it but it indeed does look really bad). But at the same time, no reason to put the guy down and call him a "hack."
For real. I sure aint looking forward to the days when someone like Kojima or Sakurai makes a game with a new company that disappoints and this site tries to say their careers were never legitimate.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Is Yuji Naka the guy that threw a hissy fit when Peter Moore told him Sonic was aging out? Pretty sure Moore told him to go fuck himself. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.

he was kind of a dick when he was younger but it seems like mellowed out

Naka's real problem imo isn't sticking to what he's good at- he's a genius programmer but not that good at much else

Oct 25, 2017
Peter Moore recalling:
Moore recounted to Glixel his futile efforts to demonstrate to Sega of Japan that the company's relevance was declining. Sega's American division filmed a focus group in late 2001 or early 2002 to get opinions from "a bunch of 18-, 19-year-olds" on how they saw gaming companies. The teens characterized Sega as "your grandad," said Moore. "Used to be cool, but even he can't remember why anymore."

Next, Moore flew to Sega's Japanese headquarters to present the data to executives and lead developers. As you might imagine, they were less than receptive:

Yuji Naka, Naka-san, maker of Sonic, is in the room. Now, he and I have a love/hate relationship on a good day. And we show him this, and it's subtitled in Japanese, and when it comes to that piece he just [slams his hand on the table], 'This is ridiculous. You have made them say this. Sega is the great brand, nobody would ever say this, you have falsified!' He just gets in my face. So I said to the translator, 'Tell him to fuck off.' And the poor guy looks at me and says, 'There's no expression in Japanese.' I said, 'I know there is.' And that was it. That was the last time I ever set foot in there.
The accusation of falsifying footage didn't sit well with Moore, and illustrated Sega's ignorance of trends in the game industry. In his eyes, the development heads at Sega — including Naka and Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki — were holding the company back.

"The world was changing around them, and we were desperate," Moore told Glixel. "I said that we've got to get content that is mature. It's ironic to me that one of their best-selling games, subsequent to all of that, is now Yakuza."

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Wait Rodea was on the WiiU? And it was bad? What was the difference between versions?

Had always wanted to pick up a copy...
The Wii version is the only one Yuji Naka made and it came bundled with the Wii U title. The Wii U release is legitimately based on the Nintendo 3DS version so it is barely recognizable and has all of the awful world geometry and gameplay concepts from that.

As someone who has played basically every Sonic game, Rodea Wii U is worse than all of them by far. Comparable to trash like Mega Man X7 and even that is being generous. Such a shame too because the Wii game absolutely has its own issues but is seriously up there with some of Naka's best work. Barely anyone knew because everyone just assumed the Wii U version was an HD port.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
i hate to see this. he's an icon, absolute legend in the day for phantasy star 1 dungeon layout, SMS port of space harrier, the best of sonic level design, PSO, nights, burning rangers and so much more - yeah he's past his prime & hasn't found his footing without the larger studio/resources but that's true for suzuki and so many other greats. man deserves better.

He never did Sonic level design though. Carol Yas did, and it shows, because Carol Yas went on to become a hit maker everywhere (Uncharted, Jak). Naka is a brilliant, brilliant programmer though. Loops weren't even supposed to work, but he did it somehow. Wish him the best.

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I might be foggy on the timeline, but I thought he left only a few months before the game had been completed, which by then a lot of the principal production had already taken place. I might be wrong though.

I don't know when he left but I do know that the released build of 06 was and older build that was more stable then the more feature complete version. So a few months could have been vital.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Sega of Japan was known to be stubborn as hell and pretty dismissive of Sega of America. If they actually listened to their American branch instead of look down on them, they would have been in a far better situation.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know when he left but I do know that the released build of 06 was and older build that was more stable then the more feature complete version. So a few months could have been vital.
Ah, are you talking about the differences found between the retail build and the 360 Demo build? I've always wondered what the more feature complete build was like. I never had a 360, so I could never play the "better" version.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, are you talking about the differences found between the retail build and the 360 Demo build? I've always wondered what the more feature complete build was like. I never had a 360, so I could never play the "better" version.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what I'm thinking of. I remember playing that demo in GameStop back in the day. It was the first part of Sonic in kingdom valley iirc.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
He never did Sonic level design though. Carol Yas did, and it shows, because Carol Yas went on to become a hit maker everywhere (Uncharted, Jak. Naka is a brilliant, brilliant programmer though. Loops weren't even supposed to work, but he did it somehow. Wish him the best.
You've got the wrong guy; that's Hirokazu Yasuhara.

stand corrected, but with that man's resume, point still stands. absolutely legendary body of work, especially as a classic sega fan.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rodea on Wii U/3DS is trash that barely resembles the original vision and Naka had nothing to do with those versions. Rodea on Wii was the game he made and it's a bona fide hidden gem.

My bad, I meant the original Wii game and yeah it is a much better version of it than the Wii U one. Was that the one that was bundled with the Wii U port or was it the 3DS one? I forgot which but I remember it being delayed for way too long for no good reason.

I edited my post to reflect my mistake.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
Naka (and come to think of it a lot of SEGA console dev alumi) strikes me as a fellow that could never get over losing the higher budgets and (relative) creative freedom that is sorta associated with making console exclusives.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
stand corrected, but with that man's resume, point still stands. absolutely legendary body of work, especially as a classic sega fan.
As a classic Sega fan I'm very conflicted with Naka. On the one hand he programmed the classic Sonic games and those are my favorite games of all time. But on the other hand he's also responsible for driving away the creative talent that made Sonic what it was with his huge ego.

I wrote a brief history of Naka with Sonic in the previous Naka thread:

There are 3 main people responsible for Sonic. Naoto Ohshima created the concept of the character. Yuji Naka programmed the games. And Yasuhara designed the game (level design and gameplay concepts).

In Sonic 1 they are credited:
  1. Yasuhara
  2. Naka
  3. Ohshima
Yasuhara was instrumental to Sonic being what it was and him being there was kind of a fluke. He was set to move to California and help Mark Cerny set up Sega Technical Institute but he got delayed. He headed to STI after his work was done.

Ohshima stayed in Japan and made Sonic CD without Naka or Yasuhara (and it shows).

Naka quit Sega after Sonic 1 because he wanted to work at Nintendo. But rather than submitting a resume to Nintendo he expected them to contact him because he was so good. Mark Cerny was friends with Naka and called him up to offer him better pay if he moved to California and joined STI. Sega also gave Naka a Ferrari.

—And I heard that you actually approached Nintendo after you quit…?
Naka: When I was driving back to my home in Osaka from Tokyo, I decided to stop by Nintendo's headquarters in Kyoto. I actually wanted to see how long it would take for me to commute from Osaka to Nintendo's offices. (laughs) However, when I stopped my car in their parking lot, a security guard came out and started eyeing me suspiciously. I got scared and decided to just go home. (laughs) If that security guard hadn't been there, who knows how different my future might have been…! (laughs)

Naka: While I was reading those books, I got a call from a third-party developer asking if I would come work for them. But the truth is, I was holding out for a call from Nintendo.

—Oh, really?! (laughs)
Naka:
The reason I thought that is, a few months before I quit Sega, I heard a story about another programmer from a big gaming company who had quit his job, and was then called by Nintendo. I was like, "Wow, that could happen to me too!" (laughs) So when I quit Sega I had this faint hope that I'd be getting a call… but it never came. (laughs) It was sad.

With Yasuhara and Naka at STI, Cerny pitched Sonic 2 to Sega but Sega declined because it was "too soon." A few months later Sega asked STI to make Sonic 2 after losing months of work. Yasuhara was once again head game designer and Naka head programmer. This time, though, Naka is credited before Yasuhara.

Cerny left Sega in 1992 to join Crystal Dynamics.

Yasuhara got along well with everyone at STI, but Naka disliked working with Americans because of the cultural differences. STI was split into 2 teams to segregate the American and Japanese developers and Naka was put in charge of the Japanese team.

For Sonic 3 Naka is credited before Yasuhara; this time as Producer and Director respectively.

Yasuhara quit STI citing differences with Naka and went to Sega of America.

Then Naka split from STI and went back to Japan to head a team there. His team was given control of Sonic but they didn't make any Sonic games. They made NiGHTs and Burning Rangers.

Back in the US Yasuhara helped STI make Sonic games and Sonic R and Sonic X-treme. Sonic X-treme was notoriously cancelled after Naka refused to let the team use the NiGHTS engine to reduce dev time.

In 1998 Naka moved back to California to found Sonic Team, while Yasuhara eventually left Sega to join Naughty Dog.

Naka stayed with Sonic Team until he bailed on Sega part-way through development on Sonic 2006.

I think this interview with Naka from 2003 best illustrates his issues:

What do you think of the way the Sonic games have evolved; was it a problem when one of your team members left to work with Sony?

Yuji Naka: Yeah, one of the guys from our team went to work on Jak and Daxter! As for the original titles, I was involved from the beginning, the creation of the game. The character was born in a kind of stream of creating, so I'm involved from the very beginning of the character. I gave the game direction, and I was the main programmer also.

So I was involved with every aspect of the original Sonics. Some of the details, like making a map, quite straight-forward stuff, was done by the guy who's working on Jak and Daxter right now. He was involved until Sonic 3, and after that for eight years he didn't do anything in Sega, so he was quite useless in Sega. We really didn't need him. He was really doing nothing with Sonic.

Basically he thinks very highly of himself and very lowly of others. He thinks things like level and game design are straightforward unimportant jobs. He calls Yasuhara useless when Naka himself was partly responsible for killing projects Yasuhara was working on.

There's also this anecdote from Peter Moore from when he was President of Sega of America:
www.polygon.com

Peter Moore recalls the last straw that convinced him to leave Sega

"So I said to the translator, ‘Tell him to fuck off’"

In 2001/2002 he had Sega of America conduct a focus group of 18/19 year olds for their opinions on game companies and they said Sega was old news. He went to Japan to present footage of the focus group.

Peter Moore:
Yuji Naka, Naka-san, maker of Sonic, is in the room. Now, he and I have a love/hate relationship on a good day. And we show him this, and it's subtitled in Japanese, and when it comes to that piece he just [slams his hand on the table], 'This is ridiculous. You have made them say this. Sega is the great brand, nobody would ever say this, you have falsified!' He just gets in my face. So I said to the translator, 'Tell him to fuck off.' And the poor guy looks at me and says, 'There's no expression in Japanese.' I said, 'I know there is.' And that was it. That was the last time I ever set foot in there.

Naka doesn't take criticism well.

Basically he was just really good at leveraging his talent to get what he wanted while pushing competition out of the way. I wonder what things would be like if Yasuhara was given the credit over Naka.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Not particularly well-acquainted with Yuji Naka or his body of work, but I wish him the best all the same.

I mean the name alone should get you fired. Wonderworld? The fuck are you smoking?
Lemme guess, you hate Oasis too?

Honestly, Balan Wonderworld is a surprisingly decent name for a Square-Enix release... can't vouch for the game itself though, lol.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
It's sad to see Yuji Naka's titles flounder so much. When he was a Sega he seemed like he was a very talented creator and during his tenure, a lot of my favorite Sega franchises were created or grew under his guidance as Producer but during his last years with the company the cracks started to show and the same franchises I had grown to love worsened significantly.

Shadow the Hedgehog was, no pun intended, a black sheep among even the middling 3D Sonic games.

Sonic Riders somehow managed to be less enjoyable, to me, than the infamous Traveler Tales Sonic R and Phantasy Star Universe took what was, at one point, one of the most promising online action RPGs that pioneered some of the things we take for granted in more modern games and wrapped it in a big ball of yikes so much so that a lot of the momentum the Phantasy Star Online series had built up came to a halt and the series remained dormant (at least as an online action RPG for 6 more years), unless you count with those mostly-offline PSP spinoffs.

And since he left Sega the titles he produced didn't improve much... in fact, I'd argue they got worse. I had some hope that with Rodea the Sky Soldier for the Wii I'd get to see a glimmer of what I admired in his Sega titles but for some bewildering reason, the publisher held on to the finished code of the game for so long that by the time it came out it was so late in the Wii's lifecycle (3 years after the Wii U's release) and the game was so detached from people's memories that it was irrelevant and the ports of it for the 3DS and the Wii U were much worse and stained the original release.

At that point I kind of just stopped caring about following his career and it's only because Balan bombed so much that I even became aware of his involvement in project.

It's sad to see his career come to this.

PSU did not create any kind of dormancy, it was actually very successfull as it was the best selling PS game in Japan and set up the path for the PSP sequels (they built on PSU not really spin-offs) and PSO2.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
This is it, Sega. Get him back, Naoto Ohshima, Jun Senoue, and create Sonic Adventure 3 for your new console to rival the big 3. Fund the company by introducing a second renaissance of the arcade industry with Outrun 3, Space Harrier 3, Virtua Fighter 6, and Afterburner 4. Take down the opponents with your crazy marketing tactics and once again regain majority control of the video game market.

This is it, Sega.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't wanna be a dick but he's done, no one is gonna give him money anymore to make another bomb.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I feel bad that his idea for a game did not work out, I always do in these cases. At the same time it would be weird as hell if SE kept him/kept ties with him for another project anytime soon after such a big bomb. I do hope he can try again but with a bit more... modernization to his ideas.

Don't know the whole story on this weird weird project myself but would be curious to get a real detailed run down of what lead to this. Some of the articles and videos ive seen on it sound like a lot of speculation and not a lot of direct quotes from staffers.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
It's interresting how he and Nagoshi were basically in the same position circa 2003 to 2006, being in the upper executive rows along with Hisao Oguchi (who became president later on, mainly because of his arcade efforts). Naka had the most popular console game IP while Nagoshi made tidy profit with the big sales of Super Monkey Ball which was made on a minimal budget.

Needless to day, Nagoshi definetly worked it out the best at the end. Perhaps because the Amusement Vision + Smilebit combo was a stronger foundation than Sonic Team which perhaps was caught in a predicament of wanting to try new things all the time while pleasing Sega management with tons of Sonic games every year. Nagoshi also felt the pressure of making sequels of Yakuza and Super Monkey Ball, and while Monkey Ball maybe suffered a bit, the Yakuza series stayed strong because they took risks within their boundaries and iterated.

Hey at least Naka was part of the executive team that greenlighted Valkyria Chronicles, which many people don't know.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
how topical

but really, this video below is worth watching. when you learn about what's in the novel, you realize something went very wrong in development. if the game was laid out like the novel implied, it could have stuck with people much more. oh and cut the 80 costumes to, like, 10 or whatever

yeah i've seen this, it's really sad cause the game truly had a huge potential

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I honestly feel bad for him. The team they gave him was not equipped to handle a game of this caliber looking at their development history and he was new to Square. Then again, I honestly didn't think Balan looked as bad as everyone was making it out to be.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Balan Wonderland damaged Square's bottom line, Yuji Naka's career, the public perception of both Nights and PS2-era platformers, and had the potential to cause seizures. But hey at least… um.

Hm.

It will make Sonic Rangers look amazing no matter how bad Sonic Team botches an open world game. It will make Sonic look like Mario in terms of quality.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Feel sorry for him in a way, but when I look at Balan as a product and a game ... yeah, sorry, but that ain't it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Hate to say it, but maybe it's better for our favorite developers of yesteryear who haven't lead a project since pre-HD era to remain good memories. Names like Itou come up a lot in topics of "who do you want to direct the next Final Fantasy game" and boy would I hate for the legend who created the ATB system and directed three of the best games in the series to pull a Balan Wonderworld.

Oct 31, 2017
yeah i've seen this, it's really sad cause the game truly had a huge potential
I mean.... I really disagree. It'd have to have been designed completely differently for it to have "huge potential."

"fired" is jumping to a lot of conclusions.

Naka has blatantly stated that SE is giving him "one chance" to make a game.

Naka's one chance garnered a Metacritic in the 30-50 range, and while we don't know the exact sales numbers it for sure did not perform remotely well, given all the articles reporting how it underperformed in various areas of the world.

It is absolutely not "jumping to a lot of conclusions."