• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I take it the game ramps up the horror content? I'm trying to think of I should rush to buy it tonight so I can stay up & play with the lights out.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
I think it's a nice alternativee to the original. But it's not like the original. It keeps the atmosphere, but the inclusion of puzzles and things to avoid and be focused on takes out the original's sense of wandering and appreciating the details. 10 minutes in and I was thinking: I need a mod of this without the puzzles, hazards and all of that.

Otherwise the game really is a work of love for the original. I still have to finish it but it's interesting nonetheless. I hope more games like this from Kadokawa come. I'm not refunding because I want to support the team and the project in the hopes they make more Yume Nikki stuff or update the game in a way i want. I'm sure to leave my impressions and thought on a review in steam and their official store.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I think anyone expecting this to be "The RPG Maker title, but in 3D" are setting themselves up for disappointment, really.
Not expecting -- only hoping. I had a good inclination of what this would turn out to be from its initial reveal / leak, but I wanted to be wrong.

I'll still probably lose to my curiosity and give the game a try eventually, but then again, it's sounding like watching a Let's Play might be a good option instead -- something that was fiercely, fundamentally not the case for the original. I'll just have to see, I suppose.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna dive back in tonight but I had to restart my save file because of a key item bug which they apparently fixed. It ran a lot smoother last night but it's still pretty janky.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I 100%'d it last night. Had some annoying crashes throughout and a bug with Super Nasu but nothing game breaking. Overall it was a fun experience. I really enjoyed seeing 3D interpretations of iconic YN creatures and environments.

It feels like a lost late 90s adventure game, so if you're into those or are a big YN fan, I recommend checking it out. There are a lot of great games inspired by YN that follow the exact same formula, so it was cool to get something really different.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the original was a glorified walking simulator, with non-linear exploration and with the only objective of collecting all the effects and enjoying the ride (and eventually go reading fan theories™ on uboachan), this one will really feel different. Good thing the purists always will have the original to explore and create as many fan theories™ as they want.

For trying to give some kind of focus, I'll applaud these developers. Even if the ending result wasn't as polished as it could be...

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the original was a glorified walking simulator, with non-linear exploration and with the only objective of collecting all the effects and enjoying the ride (and eventually go reading fan theories™ on uboachan), this one will really feel different. Good thing the purists always will have the original to explore and create as many fan theories™ as they want.

For trying to give some kind of focus, I'll applaud these developers. Even if the ending result wasn't as polished as it could be...
One point I think Yume Nikki will always have going for it is that it was from 2004 (and final update in 2005). Back then there wasn't really any game like it nor were walking simulators really a tjing, it was very different than anything at the time (though I'm still convinced it was inspired by LSD: Dream Emulator). I guess I just can't really view it as a "glorified walking simulator" when it predates walking simulators, and the design of Yume Nikki has been highly influential.

For everything else, can't comment. Still on my trip so won't be able to play for a few more days.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
The game is getting a big update with lots of new areas. Looks like they're focusing on recreating some areas from the original. I'm definitely interested and I'm in for a replay when it comes out.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm really happy they are sticking with fixing, improving and developing the game further. My respects to the team.
Definitely. It's a very pleasant surprise, and one I wholeheartedly support. I liked the new game but it was very much a different experience from YN, and it looks like they're trying to more closely bridge the two with this update.

Dec 18, 2017
I don't like how they turned this into a horror game where you're running from enemies all the time. Like literally the first thing that happens is you're running from Toriningen, all the time.
The original Yume Nikki was much more atmospheric and open to interpretation. I'm also not a fan of new Madotsuki's design.

This game does, on the other hand, have an amazing soundtrack.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Anyone played the 2.0 update? Added a bunch of new areas, updated existed ones, etc and the game went from average to mostly positive on steam
https://steamcommunity.com/games/774811/announcements/detail/1667900748155884992
YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY- Ver. 2.0 Features
  • Added several new areas to the game.
  • Added new concept art.
  • Added some new effects.
  • Mini games now save high scores when quitting.
  • Added audio for when the girl in the school disappears.
  • Added some missing effects to the mall.
  • Added an option to adjust the brightness of the game.
  • Improved performance of the eyeball wave.
  • Added some more secrets.
  • Improved AI of NPC that chases you.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Is 2.0 best experienced in a new playthrough or a finished one? Not sure whether to start fresh or use my completed file.