• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Tears of the Kingdom Setup Guide
  • Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
    Oct 25, 2017
    Is there a threadmark or post of what version of yuzu and what mods / patches people are using? I dumped all my stuff yesterday but have no idea where to start on how to start setting up yuzu.

Sorry - I'm sure this has been asked a ton of times...

is there a beginner friendly sticky posts to how to use this for totk
    the thread seems impenetrable

Ha! Great minds think alike :)

Since OP is gone I wonder if we could have someone else take over the thread so they can make threadmarks?

That'd be rad! Thank you.

Maybe we could get ownership of the thread transferred to you or someone else willing? May be easier. If that is a thing. ( I am not clever, nor do I know how things work. )

Alright folks, here's the threadmarkable post if you want.

May 15, 2023 6AM PDT Yuzu setup guide for Tears of the Kingdom.

First a bit of major news, Yuzu EA 3591 released and improves performance for low-end GPUs by fixing the VRAM leak. Warning: early reports of 3591 causing some crashes but YMMV

Yuzu EA 3591 Patch Note Changes said:
    • Rework GC to be based on available card memory. [#10302]

• Add an experimental fix for the vram and commit memory usage. Games such as Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 3, Xenoblade Chronicle games should no longer use all of vram available. It also resolve slowdown further on these games which happened during clean vram.

Yuzu EA 3589 Patch Note Changes said:
    - Relax amiibo scanning frequency to reduce stuttering during when scanning amiibo. [#10265]

- Fix incompatible property flags in vulkan memory manager. [#10286]

- Fix instability of low vram (2gb ~ 4gb) GPUs in games like Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom, Astral Chain, Xenoblade Chronicles 2. With this change these games should be playable on low vram GPUs with x0.5 ~ x1 scailing.

- Reserve extra memory to prevent swaps.

- Fix the performance drop that used to occur after the memory was cleaned in games like Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom, Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Now here's today's TOTK setup guide for today's latest patches and files. It's much easier than it was a few days ago to get this game running well!

Updated TOTK on Yuzu EA 3584 Guide 5-15-23 said:
    Here's a guide on what to do to troubleshoot getting TOTK running well on Yuzu. Like depending on your hardware, 4K 60 FPS

[STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE]
    Disclaimer: I did not upload any of these files. I am simply collating public information. Download at your own risk tho the communities have already vetted the files as no malware detected.
    1. You should start by having a 1.1.0 version of TOTK. You should know how to rip and obtain this there are guides on the internet. Add it to your game directory in Yuzu main menu. Update it to 1.1.0 by installing to NAND if necessary.
    2. Make sure you have nothing in your Yuzu main > shader folder and compile shaders yourself. They're hardware-dependent anyway so your own shaders are the best shaders.
    3. Did you download latest Yuzu EA from PineappleEA (currently 3591)? If not, do so.
    4. Did you turn off all optional/experimental settings in the "advanced graphics" tab? If not, do so now.
    5. Did you download all the latest mods at this link? If not, do so. Extract a latest mod package into your mods folder (right-click the game in Yuzu or Ryujinx and go to the mods folder). Disable the ones that say "scrap" and disable the ones you don't need.
    6. Did you download the cheats you want to use, if any? If not, do so. You can find extra cheats here. Also put these in the mods folder.
    7. Did you download the 60 fps cutscene fix mod if you are using the 60 fps mod ONLY? If not do so now. Set your NVIDIA control panel to 60 fps frame limit if you have not done so and have the option, or audio may desync. (Google the mod, I can't provide it since it contains game cutscene files).
    8. If you download and use the 60 fps mod, try this experimental patch that fixes the black screen during arm powers wheel selection/inventory selection/weapon selection. Download and put it in your mods folder as the others.

You're done now. You can load the game on Yuzu now and try to aim for high framerates

Some settings/notes to be aware of and to try:

[GENERAL YUZU SETTINGS TO DO]
    • Graphics tab:
      1. API/API Settings = Vulkan
      2. Graphics Settings/Use asynchronous GPU emulation = ✓
      3. Graphics Settings/Accelerate ASTC texture decoding = ✓
      4. Graphics Settings/Resolution = 1x/2x/4x/8x (this setting depends on your GPU, but don't use other options as those are currently bugged and will have a pixelated look in Docked Mode)
      5. Graphics Settings/Windows Adapting Filter = AMD FSR/Bilienear (depending on your GPU)
      6. Graphics Settings/Anti-Aliasing Method = Depends on personal preference and the resolution you are playing at
    • Adv. Graphics tab:
      1. Accuracy Level: High or Normal (some dungeon elements like lasers will only render in High GPU accuracy or will only work in Normal after re-entering the area, s hange accordingly during gameplay, using the F10 hotkey)
      2. Advanced Graphics Settings/Enable asynchronous presentation = ✓
      3. Advanced Graphics Settings/Enable Reactive Flushing = ✓
      4. Advanced Graphics Settings/Use asynchronous shader building (Hack) = ✓
      5. Advanced Graphics Settings/Use Vulkan pipeline cache = ✓
    • Minimum Specs:
    1. 16gb ram (32 Is recommended)
    2. SSD (any)
    3. 2x resolution - 6gb+ vram
    4. Stable 60 fps - Only very HIGH end can achieve a stable 60 fps
    • Extra Info: Running the current 60 fps mod will result in cutscenes being played at double the intended speed and the audio being significantly delayed, so for optimal viewing experience download the mod provided above until a futher fix is available.
    • For FPS lock (Dynamic fps mod) - Yuzu speed limit 50% - 30 fps 75% - 45 FPS (NOTE) 45 fps doesn't work with cutscene mod.
    • Auto HDR for Windows 11 - Rename Yuzu.exe to Cemu.exe (the yuzu folder to Cemu as well) to benefit from your HDR TV/Monitor, works pretty well.
    [CONTROLLER SETUP & XBOX/PS UI MODS]

If you are using an Xbox or a PlayStation controller, follow the steps below.

1. In Yuzu, go to 'Emulation', then 'Configure', then 'Controls', and decide what controller type you want to emulate with which one of your peripherials (I recommend emulating a Pro Controller).
    2. Bind all buttons to your chosen controller (Xbox or PlayStation), choose a deadzone value between 5 and 15% (based on your controller's sticks' health) for responsive inputs, then create a new controller profile for it, name it, and save it.
    3. If you are using an Xbox controller, download and install the Xbox UI mod which replaces the Nintendo buttons with Xbox buttons, and also gives you the choice to use a western layout ('A' as accept, 'B' as cancel).
    4. If you are using a PlayStation controller, download and install the DualSense UI mod which replaces the Nintendo buttons with Xbox buttons, and also gives you the choice to use a western layout ('X' as accept, 'O' as cancel).

[FRAMERATE MODS]

1. Download the Dynamic FPS mod discussed (included in the above guide). It's useful if your game can't keep a steady framerate but it can introduce some bugs.
    2. Download the 20/30/60 FPS mod (included in the above guide). If you are using the 60 FPS mod, be sure to use MSI Afterburner+RivaTuner's framelimiter and use a hotkey to be able to swap between a 30 & 60 FPS lock whenever a cutscene starts (locking the game to 30 FPS prevents cutscenes to run at double speed).
    3. An alternative solution to fixing cutscenes with the 60 FPS mod is to use the Interpolated Cutscenes mod (mentioned in the above guide) mod.
    [QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS]
    1. Q: Game is stuck on black screen after loading what do i do? - Delete the keys and Put them again, it's a known bug
    2. Q: Will this work on Steamdeck? - Yes
    3. Q: Do i need Vulkan Shaders? - No, It's recommended to build your own shaders for stability.
    4. Q: Game keeps crashing after downloading shaders from someone else - Right click game, remove vulkan pipeline, getting Vulkan shaders from other people is genuinely unstable (VULKAN)
    5. Q: I want to install a new Version of yuzu how to? - Download the new yuzu version from Pineapple and copy the User folder in the new directory, it contains all your saves mods and shaders.
    6. OP, I can't get stable 60 FPS what do i do, my RTX4090, rx7800x3D is not enough!? - Switch emulation is VERY complex the fact this is running 2 DAYS after TOTK release is a miracle by itself. (tho that config shoud be able to get pretty close)
    7. OP my game is running in slow motion, can't install update, game not showing up, stuck in black screen ETC - Remove your key folder and install them again
    [GENERAL TIPS]
    1. Make sure to clear your Yuzu cache if you previously tinkered with TOTK.
    2. Update your graphics card drivers to the latest version available.
    [RESHADE 2.0 - THE WAY TO TUNE THE COLOR/GRAPHICS OF THE GAME]

All you need to do is download reshade.

1. Run the installer and browse for yuzu, hit next.
    2. Select Vulkan (or openGL if you're using that) as the API, hit next
    3. Hit skip where it says "select preset to install"
    4. Hit uncheck all then check all at the top right. Hit next and wait for it to download all the filters.
    5. Download a preset (here's an example of a reshade preset I like) and place it into the root of your yuzu directory.
    6. Launch the game and press the "home" key go through the tutorial.
    7. You should see a bar at the top that you can click on. It's to the right of the < and > buttons.
    8. Select the preset and it should be good to go.
    9. Another thing you can do is click on the settings tab and set "insert" as the Effect toggle key. that way you can toggle it on and off.

These are my yuzu main graphics settings just FYI for comparison if you want to know:
    Graphics Settings Tab
    Advanced Graphics Settings Tab

Here are some optional mods you can try that are all good:
    • Download all the latest mods at this link. Extract a latest mod package into your mods folder (right-click the game in Yuzu or Ryujinx and go to the mods folder). Disable the ones that say "scrap" and disable the ones you don't need.
    • You can find extra cheats here. Also put these in the mods folder.

EDIT: Bug-Fixing Guide + Settings to try running on a potato system (low-end)
    Here is a bug-fixing guide I found:

Common Bugs Bug-Fixing Guide said:
    Version 3591 seems to be causing a lot of problems be cautious since it is very experimental.
    Bugs that have a fix currently:

• Black Screen when switching weapons Example:
    1. This Mod Fixes this (update) currently bugged makes shrine lasers invisible Example

• Game heavily stuttering after having build a large amount of shaders:
    • Stuttering after switching to 1.1 version
    • Stuttering between switching Yuzu versions
    • Stuttering from Installing mods
    1. Right click on TOTK in emulator remove>remove Vulkan Pipeline Shaders

• My game is running in slow motion with DYNAMIC FPS MOD
    • Game not showing up:
    • 1.1 update failed
    • Xbox layout bug
    • Reshade not working properly?
    1. This is all fixed by replacing your keys, it has been reported many times and its a common bug with 16.0.2 keys (16.0.1, don't work with 1.1 update)
    2. Reinstall your keys
    3. Make a folder called user in your Yuzu directory (where your exe is located), copy LOAD, NAND and KEYS, launch the emulator and pray
    4. Alternatively if this doesn't solve the issue, remove keys and install them again, try switching between user and appdata (opposite is true as well), this should work guaranteed, sometimes it bugs out, it's a problem with the emulator and the keys just keep trying.

• Having infinite loading Black screen?
    1. Please try redumping your XCI/NSP image.

1. This is caused by a corrupted game update, right click on totk> remove> remove update, (left corner) files, install to nand and select your update.
    2. This is also present on all of 1.0 update

• Depths not rendering, Clouds being pixelated:
    1. Latest EA Version has solved this issue

1. Updating to 3589 (seems to have solved this issue ocasionally) - still no other fix if it keeps happening - This is caused on gpus below 6GB of vram
    2. 3591 seems to be causing the issue to some users

• Game hangs and crashes
    1. Possible fix is disabling ATSC decoding, right click on TOTK, properties>advanced graphics>ATSC decoding (HACK) disable

• Textures flickering
    1. possible fix Shadow mod Resolution (included in general visual fixes)

1. right click on TOTK, properties>advanced graphics>ATSC decoding (HACK) disable

• Weird physics below certain framerate with dynamic FPS mod
    1. Make your GPU on high, right click totk>properties>GPU>HIGH

• Black lines in the sky - Possible fix using 1x renderer

Unknown Solutions to Bugs:
    1. This is present on the switch so nothing can be done until someone makes a mod for better internal SSAO

• Stutter when changing weapons
    1. Fixed when switching to ATSC introduces other visual bugs

• Game crashes on continue after Death
    1. Possible solution is disabling 60 fps and dynamic FPS

• Weird black lines on the ground
    • Rain/snow bugged
    • Intel GPU crashing Yuzu Github Thread
    • Crashing in the depths - seems to be issue with vram
    • Device lost error from maxed out VRAM - unknown

Here are some suggested settings for running Yuzu EA 3591 (latest VRAM fixing release) on a very low-end PC with mediocre/stable performance (27-30 fps with dynamic FPS mode + Vulkan + 30 fps mod):
    vwsy2se28zza1.png

vwsy2se28zza1.png

j2xiyre28zza1.png

STEAM DECK INSTALLATION AND 30 FPS OPTIMIZATION GUIDE

I made most of this myself. I'll update the threadmark with it. Please, if you have any issues following the steps, let me know so I can fix/edit for clarity.

[STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE]
    Disclaimer: I did not upload any of these files. I am simply collating public information. Download at your own risk tho the communities have already vetted the files as no malware detected.
    1. You should start by having a 1.1.0 version of TOTK. You should know how to rip and obtain this there are guides on the internet. Add it to your game directory in Yuzu main menu. Update it to 1.1.0 by installing to NAND if necessary.
    2. Make sure you have nothing in your Yuzu main > shader folder and compile shaders yourself. They're hardware-dependent anyway so your own shaders are the best shaders.
    3. Make sure you have EmuDeck and DeckyLoader (optional) and Power Tools (mandatory) and CryoUtilities (recommended) installed.
    4. Put your Zelda TOTK XCI/NSP files in the proper ~Emulation/roms/switch folder.
    5. At this point you can either launch Steam Rom Manager and add the parsers and this game to your Steam Library as usual through the defaults, or you can add it to your Library as a Non-Steam Game yourself in Step 8 below.
    6. Go into ~/Emulation/tools/launchers/yuzu.sh by right-clicking and using KEdit to edit this .sh file.
    7. Replace the contents of that .sh file with this. This will always keep your Yuzu updated to the latest EA in Steam Deck:
      1. Code:
        #!/bin/bash
        YUZU_PATH=/home/deck/Applications/yuzu.AppImage
        # Download latest Yuzu EA
        curl -s https://api.github.com/repos/pineappleEA/pineapple-src/releases/latest | jq -r ".assets[0] | .browser_download_url" | wget -qO $YUZU_PATH -i -
        # Give it executable permissions
        chmod +x $YUZU_PATH
        #if appimage doesn't exist fall back to flatpak.
        if [[ $YUZU_PATH == '' ]]; then
            #flatpak
            flatpakApp=$(flatpak list --app --columns=application | grep $emuName)
            YUZU_PATH="/usr/bin/flatpak run "$flatpakApp
        else
        #make sure that file is executable
            chmod +x $YUZU_PATH
        fi
        #run the executable with the params.
        #Fix first '
        param="${@}"
        substituteWith='"'
        param=${param/\'/"$substituteWith"}
        #Fix last ' on command
        param=$(echo "$param" | sed 's/.$/"/')
        eval "${YUZU_PATH} ${param}"
    8. Now, open up Steam and add a Non-Steam Game to your Library.
    9. Right-click properties of the TOTK game in your Steam Library. Replace the Shortcut menu options with the following:
      1. TARGET: "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/tools/launchers/yuzu.sh"
      2. START IN: /run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/tools/launchers
      3. LAUNCH OPTiONS: vblank_mode=0 %command% -f -g "'<path/to/TOTK/XCI/NSP>'"
    10. Open Yuzu EA through either the appimage you have now or by launching yuzu.sh.
    11. Did you turn off all optional/experimental settings in the "advanced graphics" tab? If not, do so now.
    12. Download all the latest mods at this link. Extract a latest mod package into your mods folder (right-click the game in Yuzu or Ryujinx and go to the mods folder). Disable the ones that say "scrap" and disable the ones you don't need.
    13. You can find extra cheats here. Also put these in the mods folder.
    14. Go back to Steam Game mode. Press the Steam button and enable developer options in the Steam menu.
    15. Press the ... button and navigate to your Power Tools for the steps coming below...
    16. Now launch the game. You can install custom DeckyLoader utilities that scrape the artwork for the steam deck and play the TOTK theme song when the game appears in Steam LIKE THIS. IT'S AWESOME.
    17. Now follow these recommended setup steps to target 30 fps in-game:

[ REQUIREMENTS ]
    • 30fps Dynamic Mod
    • Latest version of Yuzu EA
    • Cryoutilities on Recommended Settings
    • 4GB VRAM Enabled
    [ YUZU SETTINGS ]
    CPU - Unsafe Graphics -

Use Disk Pipeline Cache ✅
    Use Async GPU Emulation ✅ Accelerate ASTC Texture Decoding ✅

1X Resolution Window Adapting Filter: Bilinear Anti-Aliasing Method: None

rest can be set as default, just make sure to use vulkan

Adv. Graphics - Accuracy: Normal

Async Presentation ✅ Force Maximum Clocks ✅ Reactive Flushing ✅ Async Texture Building ✅ Vulkan Pipeline Cache ✅

rest is disabled and anisotropic filtering is set to default

[ CRYOUTILITIES]
    Install the Recommended Settings and increase your VRAM to 4GB

[ POWER TOOLS ]

SMT - Disabled

Frequency Limits Min - 3500 Max - 3500

Governor - Performance

Frequency Limits Min - 1600 Max - 1600

[ Steam Deck Adv. Battery ] Thermal Power TDP Limit - 11 Watts

Manual GPU Clock - 1600mhz

This gets 30 fps stable according to a user, except for a drop when jumping into the depths.

if you have a shader cache over 20k, I recommended clearing it. Do not use other people's shader caches, as it's both illegal as well as useless unless it's another person's optimized Steam Deck.

this is on handheld mode, btw done on totk version 1.1.0

ENJOY!!

Last edited: