CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
1709574560300653.png

It's joever. I assume devs also would sign something that prevents them to join other emulation teams. 2.4 million is nothing for nintendo, but get rid of yuzu for good is way more important for them.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
Their argument was "Our switch games are encrypted. They provided instructions for decryption tools that breaks DMCA." Nintendo has a hard stance of emulation is bad unless we do it and we don't call what we do emulation.
Yes, and that argument is extremely flimsy as I have repeated multiple times before. The analogy is that telling people where to buy a lockpick and how to use it does not constitute a crime. The DMCA law is incredibly broad and a judgment against Nintendo in a case like this could lead to a narrowing of the scope of the DMCA which no company wants.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
There were people in the other thread saying this was only related to Yuzu but watch Nintendo go after Ryujinx next.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
Nintendo has the source code for the NES and arcade titles, they're not going to lose TotK's files...

Nintendo has like, the best preservation in the industry. They save everything

When people talk about game preservation I think they are talking about the ability to play their games in a distant future, not of Nintendo's ability to sell you the same game you bought 20 years ago because they kept the source code

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I imagine not wanting to open themselves up to legal scrutiny was a factor as well. Emails, financial records, given some of the accusations against Yuzu over the years they probably didn't have the tidiest closet.

It also could be that they were like "shrug, we had a good run", they pay off Nintendo two milly and then retire on whatever else they had.

But the fact that this terminates any future profits, my guess was, they new Nintendo was going to win.

And for people being like "why nintendo not do $100M? They must have known they didn't have a case to settle so low!" because Nintendo doesn't want to drag this out forever. What Nintendo wants is the shutdown of the emulator and to send a signal that it's not going to be profitable for future emulators to take up the mantle. $2.4M sends a clear enough signal and the injunction is made.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
That they have settled to pay 2.4 million does not necessarily mean they immediately have 2.4 million laying around. That could just be the best deal they can get. There are many ways to be able to pay it over time.

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
I don't know much about the switch emulator scene but looking at it, aren't they also blocking the tools to pull the bios and games too? That feels like they could go after anyone trying to create an emulation scene. No point in the emulator if you can't pull the data for use.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Meh being called a bootlicker would be the least of my concerns. If someone isn't willing to engage me properly, they're at least telling me they aren't worth my time.
That's fair. I was mostly kidding because people took them hiring a lawyer meaning they were confident against Nintendo or whatever.

It's just an example of people projecting the outcome they want. Instead of actually looking at what's in front of them.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
At least it didn't go any further in court.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Imo, emulators from current gen system should not exist. Perhaps the reason why other emulators have, to my knowledge, been ok, is that. Dolphin on Steam was a bit much and was removed. I would hate creating something, making a living out of it, and some random people copy my ideas, trademarks. Here im not saying emulation is shit, i think its necessary for keeping older games ´alive ' and playable for those who can't purchase games that are part of history.

But i dont understand people being angry at Nintendo and want to boycott them. I think by just saying that your not supporting the console and promoting piracy lol.
If you judge "not been ok" by what Nintendo is willing to go after with limitless money against people who dont want to be drawn into endless legal battles, sure.

But an emulator of a current gen console is not any less legal than that of an older one.

MaxRoss

Jan 26, 2024
It kind of proves Nintendo's point, right?

It's one thing for Nintendo to go after people trying to emulate older systems that are no longer available. That's a dick move. But this suit seemed entirely justifiable. It's the equivalent of 80,000 Switches. Small potatoes after you've sold 150M or whatever the number is now. But not insignificant.
this. People forget that Switch is still their current console.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Nintendo is widely known for their strong preservation, allll the way back to the 90s. One of the few that actively stores and preserves any and all games they are involved with.

Just because it's not all publicly available, does not mean stuff isn't being preserved. It's a nonsense take.
And that's how we got the Mana collection since SQEX had lost the source code for those games... it's a real shame we can't have all the games on their vault available, at least the 1st party ones... specially the Satellaview versions, those deserve to be seen by everyone.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
So basically they were just bullied into submission by Nintendo. If there was actually a real chance to win and court and set a precedent, Nintendo would never have let that go, let alone for 2 million dollars.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they called Nintendo's bluff.

I think it was likely clear cut that Yuzu was legally ok but Nintendo probably half expected them to just pack it up and leave, but since the case would drag out forever (not in Yuzu's interest) and probably end with Nintendo paying court fees (not in Nintendo's interest) it makes sense they would just take the payout option and move on instead of bringing more attention to Yuzu
What bluff? Yuzu folded completely. This is monetary compensation and p.injunction (all dev on Yuzu ceases and they have to delete all data they have).

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Imo, emulators from current gen system should not exist. Perhaps the reason why other emulators have, to my knowledge, been ok, is that. Dolphin on Steam was a bit much and was removed. I would hate creating something, making a living out of it, and some random people copy my ideas, trademarks. Here im not saying emulation is shit, i think its necessary for keeping older games ´alive ' and playable for those who can't purchase games that are part of history.

But i dont understand people being angry at Nintendo and want to boycott them. I think by just saying that your not supporting the console and promoting piracy lol.
Yeah I'm with you here but I was kind of scared to say it as we have some very passionate people who disagree strongly

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about the switch emulator scene but looking at it, aren't they also blocking the tools to pull the bios and games too? That feels like they could go after anyone trying to create an emulation scene. No point in the emulator if you can't pull the data for use.
No, they aren't blocking anything.This is a settlement.

Read it as the yuzu devs saying "We agree to destroy these tools because nintendo demands so and we give up". No one is saying "it is now determined that these tools are illegal". That has not happened.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they called Nintendo's bluff.
I think it was likely clear cut that Yuzu was legally ok but Nintendo probably half expected them to just pack it up and leave, but since the case would drag out forever (not in Yuzu's interest) and probably end with Nintendo paying court fees (not in Nintendo's interest) it makes sense they would just take the payout option and move on instead of bringing more attention to Yuzu

Bluff? I don't think that permanent injunction is calling a bluff at all. The one in the first post.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
I feel like some people in here are confusing a settlement with an actual court ruling changing the laws surrounding emulators

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
dolphin barely gets updated anymore soo
This is straight up not even close to being true in any way shape or form. Please don't spread misinformation like that

They release progress reports every 2-3 months instead of every month now, but that's it. Development is alive and well. Tons of improvements have been made, and they release a new build almost daily.

4ZXYR6.png

By default Dolphin auto-updates to the beta channel, which gets new releases when a new progress report is published, which means a new build every 2-3 months. This already isn't even close to "barely being updated", but you can switch to the development channel instead and get auto-updates almost every day, sometimes multiple times a day.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I wonder how much money they made over time in their patreon.

I also wonder what this means for ryujinx.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
The code is open source isn't it? Someones just going to release it under a different name, likely from a country that Nintendo lawyers can't get at them.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
How about providing where y'all got that from, because afaik Yuzu never released updates for Totk before the game came out.
Yuzu development went into overdrive the moment the game got leaked on May 1st... Yuzu EA-3555 fixed the fucked up grass that people were complaining about and that was released on May 4th. There's way more examples of other unreleased games I can't be arsed to list off but if any of this came up in court they know they'd get cooked which is why they rightfully fell back.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
dolphin barely gets updated anymore soo
It does but doesn't seem like it because there's not much more to update apart from miniscule highly specific things, not because they don't make money. The amount of shit you can do with Dolphin is mind blowing. There was a time before the store closed where you could connect to the Wii shop channel, add real money, buy and download games directly from Nintendo through it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Clear cut case of using copyrighted code. Emulation is legal but ONLY if you reverse engineer it and don't use Nintendo's proprietary decrypting software/code.

To be clear I'm not taking Nintendo's side, but am rather disappointed that Yuzu went this route in the first place. It's against the entire spirit of emulation and why it takes years and hundreds of people giving their own time to something the companies won't do themselves.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some people in here are confusing a settlement with an actual court ruling changing the laws surrounding emulators
It's not a legal precedent but people will think twice before dabbling into "Patreon" emulation now. Unless they want summons from Nintendo.

Mr.Adele

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
So does that set any precedent? Are other emulators even safe?

People saying Nintendo was dumb for going after Yuzu in the other thread since they were going to obviously lose, looks like they were wrong.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's joever. I assume devs also would sign something that prevents them to join other emulation teams. 2.4 million is nothing for nintendo, but get rid of yuzu for good is way more important for them.

This was more or less all set up so that the team behind Yuzu are legally bound and unable to make an emulator for the Switch 2.