OP
OP
OrvilleGateau

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
This is a cool thread with many interesting recommendations, I'm gonna be inspired by.

As for Zelda likes, you talk about the action elements OP, but are they required to considered for the thread? I played the demo of Isles of Sea & Sky (Called Akurra back then) and while it certainly is a different kind of game, it still has some Zelda dna in it's visuals and (I assume) structure:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1233070/Isles_of_Sea_and_Sky/

Maybe that's too far removed for the thread?

The action gameplay isn't required, one of the games I listed (Retronym) is described by its dev specifically as a "Zelda-like with turn-based combat". Though looking at the game you mentioned specifically, it's reminding me more of a Sokoban-style puzzle game since it doesn't seem to have dungeons or item-based puzzle progression, the puzzles seem purely environmental from the gameplay I've seen.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets PS2/GCN is pretty much a 3D Zelda like. It's also surprisingly decent.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a cool thread with many interesting recommendations, I'm gonna be inspired by.

As for Zelda likes, you talk about the action elements OP, but are they required to considered for the thread? I played the demo of Isles of Sea & Sky (Called Akurra back then) and while it certainly is a different kind of game, it still has some Zelda dna in it's visuals and (I assume) structure:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1233070/Isles_of_Sea_and_Sky/

Maybe that's too far removed for the thread?

i've been following this game and am super excited for it, but this is sokoban through-and-through ala baba is you

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I am a sucker for a Zelda-like. Zelda dungeons are one of my absolute favorite things in gaming. Very excited to look into the recommendations in this thread.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I've been searching for a Zelda-like, both 2D and especially 3D, that I love. Some I liked but nowhere close to the levels that of the Zelda games. They kind of makes me appreciate the craftmanship that goes into the Zelda games, especially the puzzles. Okami is probably my favorite of what I've played. It has the world, the aesthetics, I even enjoy some of the combat and puzzles mechanics, but I think it's missing that extra level of refinement.

When I played Darksiders 2 way back, I was having a good time at the beginning but the dungeons started dragging down the game. It again was the puzzle designs.

I have Cross Codes on Switch but haven't played it yet. Still chopping away at other games at the moment but maybe I'll jump into that soon.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
3D Zelda-likes are far too few IMO.

I love Darksiders 1+2, and hearing that the Sphinx game is actually a bit of a Zelda-like instantly raised my interest in getting it.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at no mention of 3D Dot Game Heroes developed by FromSoftware

3D_Dot_Game_Heroes_NA_box.jpg

I've been playing it recently, and it's basically a parody.

memzero64

Apr 29, 2022
The 3D Zelda-likes list is depressing. Okami and Darksiders are a stretch but fit the as the only noteworthy mentions. Those games are more 3D Zelda-like than BOTW and TOTK which needs its own sub genre, maybe "Openworld Zelda-like"?

2D zelda-like fans are eating good though.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Blood Omen was a 2D zelda-like. One of the OG, in fact, as that game was all about the "dungeons"

Great thread idea. subbed.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
The 3D Zelda-likes list is depressing. Okami and Darksiders are a stretch but fit the as the only noteworthy mentions.
Beyond Good & Evil is another one I'd consider part of that "noteworthy but a bit of a stretch" list (its mentioned now at the bottom as an upcoming one for its remaster). I also forgot to mention The Touryst in my earlier reply but I consider that a pretty great 3D Zelda-like.

Anyway, another one I liked a lot is Minit. Not a Zelda-like in the super strictest sense, but, like Tunic, it plays around with Zelda's template.
Yeah, Minit should at least be an honorable mention. It doesn't have proper dungeons but does some pretty interesting things with the 2D formula.

Okami (3D) and Alundra (2D) are easily my favorites, but Prodigal is the best i have played as far as indie games go.
I also consider the original Alundra on PS1 to be the best game in the whole sub-genre, even over the Zelda games themselves. I just wish there was a way to play it on modern devices.
Alundra 1 should definitely be in the 2D list.

Evershade

Oct 30, 2017
Love the idea for the thread, always on the lookout for more Zelda-likes.

I'd also lkke to throw in:

3D Released
HOB - overworld and dungeons in a 3D isometric style presentation. Contains upgrades, dungeons and a decent set of boss battles

2D Released
Terranigma - SNES ARPG from Square that definitely takes inspiration from Zelda. Very unique story and loses its way a bit towards the end, but i remember enjoying it when I played it. Unfortunately this is stuck on the SNES and only came out in PAL/JP regions.

2D Upcoming
Hazlenut Bastille - Kickstarter game from back in 2020, but with "regular" updates. Very clearly influenced by a LTTP. It's the original 16bit title that Dawnthorn was spun off from. Dawnthorn was subsequently put on hold to focus on this game instead.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The action gameplay isn't required, one of the games I listed (Retronym) is described by its dev specifically as a "Zelda-like with turn-based combat". Though looking at the game you mentioned specifically, it's reminding me more of a Sokoban-style puzzle game since it doesn't seem to have dungeons or item-based puzzle progression, the puzzles seem purely environmental from the gameplay I've seen.

i've been following this game and am super excited for it, but this is sokoban through-and-through ala baba is you

It's definitely something different. I was just trying to ascertain how much deviation was considered right for the thread.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I am not because it is nothing like Zelda.

Ittle Dew being mentioned in the thread title is great, because Ittle Dew 2+ is the best game of this type not named Zelda I have ever played, and its puzzles give Zelda a run for its money.

I haven't yet played 2 - and I know the balance has changed in it - but weirdly, I don't consider Ittle Dew 1 a Zelda-like, because it goes *fully* to the puzzle side of things to the extent that there's not really much *else*. I absolutely love the game, mind you, it's a masterpiece of design, particularly once you discover (big spoilers) you can progress through the game *without* all three of the key items, and it's not exactly sequence breaking, but explicitly designed around that intent.

That said, per the criteria here, it absolutely does fit.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I haven't yet played 2 - and I know the balance has changed in it - but weirdly, I don't consider Ittle Dew 1 a Zelda-like, because it goes *fully* to the puzzle side of things to the extent that there's not really much *else*. I absolutely love the game, mind you, it's a masterpiece of design, particularly once you discover (big spoilers) you can progress through the game *without* all three of the key items, and it's not exactly sequence breaking, but explicitly designed around that intent.

That said, per the criteria here, it absolutely does fit.
Ittle Dew 1 is very much focussed on puzzle solving, but Ittle Dew 2 also has a very nice overworld for exploration. If you have not played the second game yet, please keep in mind to get Ittle Dew 2+, so the game for Switch or PC, not the base game on Xbox or PlayStation, because the additional dungeons have some of the most ingenuous puzzle designs I have ever seen. The designer is brilliant.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Blossom tales is 100% zelda like! The first one is okay, second one is really better overall

View: https://youtu.be/Zx4xxvQHMKs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTcL91TA3Y

If we're talking about games inspired by Zelda 2 specifically,
then I need to do my job and recommend that everyone play GOTY 2020

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zDZlh8CH0

You now have no excuse

yup, phoenotopia is great! Did you also play elliot quest? Big zelda 2 inspiration and it's really good

View: https://youtu.be/MdGAO5Y01Y4

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh this rules! Gonna bookmark this thread for sure. Will take a look when I get home to see if I can add any other games.

BUT I just want to say do not sleep on Death's Door!! It is sooooo good

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Another great source for more Zelda that I haven't seen mentioned are romhacks of existing Zelda games. Some add QOL improvements to those games or remix them like ALTTP Randomizer, others are separate games in their own right using the originals as frameworks to build on.

A popular one is The Missing Link:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNmlYJ5bpl8

Across ALTTP and Ocarina alone, there are countless new quests c:

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at no mention of 3D Dot Game Heroes developed by FromSoftware

3D_Dot_Game_Heroes_NA_box.jpg

I've been playing it recently, and it's basically a parody.
it's a great mention, though, it was developed by Silicon Studio not From Software, From Software published it in Japan.
Silicon went on to do the Bravely Default games
Lenna's Inception definitely needs to make this list.
It is as Zelda as you can possibly be, made by the team who just brought us Cassette Beasts
And is secretly connected due to the Archangels
It really deserves a console port.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114870/Lennas_Inception/

I'm sad more people aren't talking about this one.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
If we're talking about games inspired by Zelda 2 specifically,
then I need to do my job and recommend that everyone play GOTY 2020

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zDZlh8CH0

phoenotopia.com

Phoenotopia Awakening

Join Gail, a simple villager, who must heed the call for adventure when a great starship appears in the night sky and abducts all the adults. As the new oldest member of her fragmented community, she must set out to solve this great mystery. Little does she know of the grand adventure before...
Steam
store.steampowered.com

Phoenotopia: Awakening on Steam

Embark on a grand adventure in Phoenotopia! An action-adventure puzzle platformer inspired by the great classics. Meet charming townsfolk, brave the dungeons, and thwart evil in your quest to save your family.
eshop
www.nintendo.com

Phoenotopia : Awakening for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Phoenotopia : Awakening and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.
xbox

Buy Phoenotopia: Awakening | Xbox

Join Gail, a simple villager, who must heed the call for adventure when a great star ship appears in the night sky and abducts all the adults. As the new oldest member of her fragmented community, she must set out to solve this great mystery. Little does she know of the grand adventure before...
psn

Phoenotopia: Awakening

Join Gail, a simple villager, who must heed the call for adventure when a great star ship appears in the night sky and abducts all the adults. As the new oldest member of her fragmented community, she must set out to solve this great mystery. Little does she know of the grand adventure before...
gog (it's on sale at the time of writing this post)

Best Video games, DRM-free | GOG.COM

Download the best classic and new games on Windows, Mac & Linux. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies and 30-day money-back guarantee.
onstove
soundtrack
on spotify
open.spotify.com

Phoenotopia Awakening (Original Game Soundtrack)

sillythewilly · Album · 2020 · 60 songs.

You now have no excuse

Phoenotopia: Awakening is one of the best games I've ever played, period. I consider it a near masterpiece.

Fudo Myo

Oct 30, 2017
Subbed.

HOB - overworld and dungeons in a 3D isometric style presentation. Contains upgrades, dungeons and a decent set of boss battles

Hob is one of my favorites, I LOVED that game. I encourage everyone with an interest in the genre to pick it up, it goes on sale for dirt cheap and is a steal.

No love for Kamiko?
store.steampowered.com

KAMIKO on Steam

Wield your weapon bestowed by the gods, and open the gates between worlds!

It's a bit arcady but definitely fits the Zelda-like mold.
Their Farune series is another.
store.steampowered.com

Fairune: Fragment Isles on Steam

Where did all the fairies go? Fairune: Fragment Isles is an action-adventure game where you follow Liana through her journey solving mysteries and puzzles from island to island.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I know we mentioned Super Dungeon Maker
2fc22e790507402b26ade16a5400c50d53d10cd58ecd440a15c5a056e6a1f1c8

There is competition in that regard with

Super Dungeon Designer
header.jpg

store.steampowered.com

Super Dungeon Designer on Steam

Build your own dungeons and share them with others! Create tricky puzzles and fun challenges and share your creation with the world!

It's still in development and they do weekly streams on twitch

Blossom tales is 100% zelda like! The first one is okay, second one is really better overall

View: https://youtu.be/Zx4xxvQHMKs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTcL91TA3Y

These games are very well made.
I have qualms with how they made dungeons though, they are nearly all geared toward action over puzzle.
If you have a puzzle it will be limited to a single room and you don't really have the navigational puzzles that are actually pervasive in nearly all Zelda games (except the 1st one).
In that regard the games are closer to Zelda 1 or 2 for the dungeons than all the other Zelda games.

yup, phoenotopia is great! Did you also play elliot quest? Big zelda 2 inspiration and it's really good

View: https://youtu.be/MdGAO5Y01Y4

It's actually the game that had me giving a chance to Phoenotopia in the 1st place.
I feel like the morality system is a bit obtuse but it's a really great game.

Oct 27, 2017
This too. It's way harder than it has any right to be.

Same thing with Tunic. It's a beautiful game with a lovely gameworld and wonderful, relaxing music but the combat is bastard hard! It's got the vibe of this peaceful chilled game and get the combat is like Dark Souls if not harder. Especially when you're against multiple enemies and/or flying enemies.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Keep circling back to this thread as I think of others but Mystical Ninja starring Goemon is another one for the 3D list. N64 Zelda-like that surprisingly predates OOT (and is in many ways a 3D evolution of Goemon 3)

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if these were mentioned yet:

Golden Axe Warrior on Master System:

golden-axe-warrior-08.png

Soleil/Crusader of Centy on Mega Drive:

crusader-of-centy-07.png

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved 3d Dot Game Heroes. It doesn't get talk about all that much and from what I remember it was made by From software. Check it out! An homage to the original Zelda.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
The 3D Zelda-likes list is depressing. Okami and Darksiders are a stretch but fit the as the only noteworthy mentions. Those games are more 3D Zelda-like than BOTW and TOTK which needs its own sub genre, maybe "Openworld Zelda-like"?

2D zelda-like fans are eating good though.
I agree, but it isn't too surprising. Traditional 3D Zelda-style games are very difficult and time consuming to make which is why even Nintendo pivoted away from them.

Officially, BOTW/TOTK are designated as "open air" Zelda games.

OP
OP
OrvilleGateau

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
By the way I was wondering, would Okamiden count as a Zelda-like too if Okami counts? I never hear anyone talking about that game so I don't know if it actually plays the same as Okami or not since I haven't played either game yet (I should really try Okami again soon). If anyone here has played that one please lemme know!

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Anodyne 2 is very majoras mask esque

store.steampowered.com

Anodyne 2: Return to Dust on Steam

A 2D-3D Action-Adventure game! Run, jump, and drive across vast, dreamy 3D landscapes. Shrink into surreal, 2D dungeons inside of characters' bodies. Travel the world, meet strange people, and save the world from the dangerous Nano Dust. Don't miss the follow-up to the classic game 'Anodyne'!

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
By the way I was wondering, would Okamiden count as a Zelda-like too if Okami counts? I never hear anyone talking about that game so I don't know if it actually plays the same as Okami or not since I haven't played either game yet (I should really try Okami again soon). If anyone here has played that one please lemme know!

It definitely qualifies. It's a scaled-down, simplified version of Okami. but still well worth playing as long as you keep your expectations in check. I like it better than the DS Zeldas, which have a horrible control scheme of stylus/touch movement.

OP
OP
OrvilleGateau

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
It definitely qualifies. It's a scaled-down, simplified version of Okami. but still well worth playing as long as you keep your expectations in check. I like it better than the DS Zeldas, which have a horrible control scheme of stylus/touch movement.

One more for the list then, thanks for your input!

Well how much does it play like Zelda? The trailer didn't really give me any Zelda vibes, does it have item-based puzzles, dungeons, stuff like that? Having not played it and seeing the trailer it looks very action focused.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I'm playing Tunic now, but I keep deciding to quit out of frustration or annoyance due to certain aspects. But so far after a day I decide to go back and try again. I don't like how cryptic everything is, I don't like the dark souls style of dropping your money when you die... I don't like how uncertain it feels. I love the adventure and discovery aspect of other games, but somehow not this one so much. But I will try again.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
it's been a long time since I played HLD but in my mind it doesn't feel very zeldalike at all
it's extremely combat focused. barely any puzzles, no items

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Let me guess none of you have played the dungeons of hinterburg playtest
store.steampowered.com

Dungeons of Hinterberg on Steam

Armed with a sword and a tourist guide, explore the beautiful alpine village of Hinterberg and uncover the magic hidden within its dungeons! Master magic, solve puzzles, slay monsters; all this and more await you in Hinterberg!

Then you ask why more devs don't make 3D zelda likes

OP
OP
OrvilleGateau

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
Let me guess none of you have played the dungeons of hinterburg playtest
store.steampowered.com

Dungeons of Hinterberg on Steam

Armed with a sword and a tourist guide, explore the beautiful alpine village of Hinterberg and uncover the magic hidden within its dungeons! Master magic, solve puzzles, slay monsters; all this and more await you in Hinterberg!

Then you ask why more devs don't make 3D zelda likes

I mean we can't be expected to know about everything that's coming out right? That's what this thread is for really, to make it easier for others to find these games and play them.

I actually heard about that game before and was keeping an eye for it but wasn't very sure if it was gonna be a Zelda-like or not (I also vaguely remember the devs mentioning some BotW-inspiration which made me not look further into the game, but I might be misremembering things). I'll definitely check this out again and add to the list if it's indeed more like classic Zelda, thanks for sharing it!