• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they iron out all the frame rate issues that I heard about by launch. I am a little surprised they put it on the show floor with issues.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The side by side with the original in this video was a nice touch.

Damn this game looks gorgeous though. I hope they get the framerate fixed.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
The eight way directional movement looks weird to me, like the game is missing frames of animation. Is there any reason why they decided to do this? The movement in A Link Between World's looks so much better

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Double Buffer v-sync? What would Nintendo their reason be for this instead of a triple buffered frame rate? It was also the case with BOTW and the framerate was wild at times because of this.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Double Buffer v-sync? What would Nintendo their reason be for this instead of a triple buffered frame rate? It was also the case with BOTW and the framerate was wild at times because of this.
I think it may be a hardware bottleneck of the Switch. Triple buffering was pretty common on the Wii U, so they wouldn't go backwards like that for no reason.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Triple buffer creates more input lag than double buffer. If they also think they can get the frame rate under control by release, then double buffer is the better solution for smoother controls.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The eight way directional movement looks weird to me, like the game is missing frames of animation. Is there any reason why they decided to do this? The movement in A Link Between World's looks so much better

The game was simply not made for free movement like ALBW. Puzzles & dungeons are built around the eight-directional movements and changing it would mean changing a lot of layouts (which wasn't the point of this remake).

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Great video as always. Awesome seeing Link's Awakening back in the spotlight.

The music is a mixed bag for me, with some tracks sounding like faithful recreations and others losing a lot of "oomph". The graphics look gorgeous though.

I do wonder if the smooth scrolling is going to make the overworld feel smaller.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More excited for the Luigi's Mansion video. Sounds like there will be other games too

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Resolution will most likely improve and framerate will definitely be established to either 60 if they hit the target or cap it at 30. Mario odyssey was locked to 720p but got a resolution boost up to 900p dynamic. Whats great is that the game seems to be done, only this polishing up phase is left now, so no worries imo.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I wasn't expecting 1080p, looked wayy too nice and especially at 60fps too.

900 at launch would be great.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x Where's that orchestral Wind Fish arrangement you used in your video from?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it doesn't cap at 30 like some people thought, they just didn't iron out the drops in the overworld. It's fine, it should be fixed in time for launch.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think it may be a hardware bottleneck of the Switch. Triple buffering was pretty common on the Wii U, so they wouldn't go backwards like that for no reason.
There is no hardware bottleneck that prevents triple buffering, and most Switch games run triple buffered. All it does is take slightly more VRAM than double buffered, since one more frame has to be stored in memory.

If you have a 100% stable framerate, double buffering has 16.67ms less input lag at 60FPS. @So if you are confident you can deliver a consistent framerate without a single drop, it's actually a good idea to make the game run double buffered and offer more responsive controls.

I think it's pretty obvious they are confident they will offer that experience by launch.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they can hit 60 outdoors. This is definitely one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I've seen in awhile.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
didn't we know about yoshi being UE4 from the beginning?

We did but then the UE4 logo/copyright was removed from all of the subsequent trailers after E3 2017 IIRC, and it wasn't present on the product page. There was even a thread here speculating that they changed the engine between E3 2017 and 2018, but all they did was just stop showing the UE4 logo.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a beautiful game!

That performance though... No way they can manage to fix that until the release, it's all over the place, they'll probably just lock it down to 30fps and call it a day.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Looking good. If they cap it at 30 I'd be fine with that as long as it doesnt dip too much.

The footage of the original is making me want to play it for the first time, although right now it would be difficult to not attempt to play it on beat to the music lol.