• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whats your plan?

• I regularly use emulators and i plan to play TOTK on Switch hardware

• I regularly use emulators and plan to play TOTK on an emulator on day one regardless of performance

• I regularly use emulators and i plan to play TOTK on an emulator when performance = Same as switch

• I regularly emulate and plan to play on an emu once it runs at insane resolutions with gfx packs

• I regularly use emulators and i plan to play TOTK on Switch hardware but emulate later

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
So, this game is coming fairly soon. We all expect it to be fairly low resolution and have some kind of performance related issues.

So, gonna ask. If you have a PC and you use emulators....where do you fit in this?

I think with my backlog so huge im going to wait until its all looking bangin hot as hell on an emulator with graphics packs and running at 60fps+

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I'd use an emulator simply for 4K/60fps. Also, Zelda graphics packs are gross #notsorry

Edit: Where's the, "I regularly use emulators and i plan to play TOTK on updated Switch hardware, after a performance patch."

Last edited:

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I am seriously considering it. Game is going to look godawful and it will kill my enjoyment of the game if performance is awful.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Despite owning a Switch and a PC capable of (probably) emulating TotK, I will be playing it on my crusty dusty launch Switch at 640p because of handheld mode.

TyoOXO9.png

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I am buying it to play on console but I will also rip it to play on emulation if they get it running at good performance and quality.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Where's my option for "I'll get around to it eventually, on an emulator" or something similar?

Also I kind of doubt it'll be long, if at all, that anyone will have to wait for performance to be the same as the Switch.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Dumping my cart as soon as my CE arrives and playing on PC unless it's super buggy, then I'll do my first playthrough on switch.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I like the experience of playing on original hardware (b.c. included), despite it not always being as ideal w.r.t. resolution and/or framerate.

Other than that, when it's possible to play it through emulation, the resolution alone is worth it. BOTW looks so good at 4K. Although it'll likely take a while for TOTK as BOTW is not as performant yet afaik, given that the engine is primarily the same.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
I played botw on wii u and switch and recently played it on CEMU with a lot of the graphical settings on extreme and 60fps.
Botw looks so damn good on emulator its crazy, I will never touch TOTK on switch now.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
I'll play my first playthrough day one on my launch switch with my wife

Then, whenever it becomes fully playable with motion controls through emulation, I'll play it there, too

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
I'll definitely play the game on an emulator once it has a 60fps mod. I bought BOTW on release date and got halfway through before getting distracted. Finished the game on emulator and never went back to the Switch again for any game i own. The experience is just so much better.

I'll probably get the game on launch either way. But i'm certain I'll wait to play until it's good enough on an emulator

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I need to see how performance is on Switch. If it's super low resolution, I'll wait to get it until the emulators are good enough for it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I'll play it on the Switch. Hope it can't be emulated for a good couple years after launch.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm not gonna want to wait for it to be in it's best state so I'll play it on hardware first but once it's good on emulator, ideally with 60fps at 4K, then I'll switch to emu.

Just play it on the damn console
Can you give me a good reason why that isn't "because it's what Nintendo wants you to do"?

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Switch hardware is awful and emulation is a godsend, but hot damn do people who want to do it during a console and game's initial launch look stupid

1g1odm.jpg

"Why is Denuvo being pushed for Nintendo games?!?!"

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Totally depends on how it runs on emulators, if it's broken I'll just tank the 480p or whatever res Aonuma's presentation was at. If not you know I'm dumping it the second it arrives. I wouldn't have bought and paid extra for a switch that can be cfw'd back in 2019 if I was ok with not emulating. I'd also have switched to a OLED by now if I had the cash and didn't care about emulating.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Emulators for newer systems don't run 100% well or without flaws (at least at launch) and I hate it when weird stuff happens, even if it's just a small thing. Which is why I am playing this on the (OLED) Switch.

I can imagine doing a replay on an emulator in a few years though if there isn't an official remaster or similar.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If it performs well on an emulator, I'll play it there. If it has compatibility issues with emulators, I might play it on the Switch as long as it doesn't look/runs worse than BOTW.

But truth be told, I really really wish I had a Switch Pro/Switch 2 to run this on. Ugh.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
The options are weirdly restricted here. By the time Switch emulation gets good I'm not going to care about hardly any Switch exclusives.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
It's a hard one, emulators are in some ways better and others worse, I played Prime day 1 and even though they fixed some of the game breaking features quickly, its never a 100% smooth experience when it comes to Framerate, stuttering and controllers, specially if you want to use motion controls.

But the grafics are so much better it's not funny, and you kind of get used to the quirks.

I'm probably gonna do a first playthrough on the switch proper since I want to play with my wife and need the most plug and play solution, but will play a second one maybe even at the same time on steam deck and my laptop with cloud saves.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I use emulators a lot, but I have never tried Switch emulation. It seems complicated and it would not be portable anymore. But I want to wait until Switch 2 and play it there if I can.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone that has been emulating games on PC - suddenly stop for TK ?

Also it's not 'mainly' since you obv. need the hardware to dump the game for the emulator, unless there has been a new development I've missed.
This is going to become another "Shit on the Switch" thread, isn't it?
Need that daily reminder of how horrible things are lol.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
I would play emulation but would be too annoyed while they figure things out. So will stick with switch.

Cemu is the best way to play BOTW. I'm sure in a few years, the emulator will be the best experience for TotK.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Do you mean switch emulation for TOTK specifically or overall? Because switch emulation is pretty great from what ive tried

XC3 still has a metric ton of issues, so I'm not going to even try launch games on emulation.

By the time we are well past launch I don't see myself playing these games anymore. I'm jumping on them, on release, on real hardware.

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
XC3 still has a metric ton of issues, so I'm not going to even try launch games on emulation.

By the time we are well past launch I don't see myself playing these games anymore. I'm jumping on them, on release, on real hardware.

Yeah no I mean each to their own I haven't played that game on emu since I don't own it or not my kind of game but Luigi's mansion and links awakening for example are stunning at 4k60 with little to no issues from my experience

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna do it on the console. I paid for that cart, I may as well make the most of it. Plus, I played the last two Pokémon games on hardware and despite their scope being much smaller than TotK, I wouldn't be surprised if they both run worse.

An mClassic admittedly did help, though. Makes Switch games on a 1440p monitor much better. Not so useful at TV distance though.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I prefer my first time to be on the original system. Less likely for glitches, and issues to pop up.

Maybe a few years down the line. Because I can't see myself doing another run once I'm done with it. As much as I love BOTW, I haven't had the urge to return despite finishing it a while back. It's just too big. I'll probably feel the same way about TOTK.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
If the emulation was sketchy at launch then I wouldn't be able to wait, Zelda games are Day One plays at all costs

But yeah it's pretty wild seeing what the community was eventually able to accomplish with BOTW
Switch hardware is awful and emulation is a godsend, but hot damn do people who want to do it during a console and game's initial launch look stupid

1g1odm.jpg

"Why is Denuvo being pushed for Nintendo games?!?!"
Meh, as long as people are still buying the game then I don't see the issue

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Also I think it's going to be a long time for any console and emulation to be possible at this pace again (aka at launch emulation) :p. Think the switch will be the last one for a while :p.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people who have convinced themselves that playing it on an emulator day 1 will be a much better experience than on the console itself are in for a bad time.
Sure you get higher resolution, but it feels like for a lot new games you end up sacrifing performance (stutters/FPS), graphical glitches, and instability (crashing). Maybe you get lucky and the games runs decent on day 1 but it's TOTK... I ain't risking that. Will be playing on the switch day one.

A few months/years from now? Emulation for sure (or Switch 2 🤔), but never at launch (for games I truly care about).

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
If current BOTW yuzu performance is anyhing to go by... emulation, even without an fps mod it should really help with clarity, that last video looked really blurry, which is sad because the game's art looks so nice

Status
Not open for further replies.