• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The truth about Zero's Smash skills is that he was good with a high-tier Smash 4 character with easy to pull-off kill techniques.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to say that the reaction to this kind of confirms that the Smash community really is what so many accused it of being all these years. This might not be the majority but it's obvious this game — meant to be family-friendly — has a community crawling with some true creeps and many, many, many enablers.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Given the serious allegations, involving minors, surely there has been police involvement?

Really annoys me how people in the public eye frequently get away with the most abhorrent shit, by taking "a career break to get help" or whatever, and try to cast themselves as the victim - only to then return to the public eye a year later as if nothing ever happened.

We see it all the time with celebs and politicians, now it seems streamers too. I never forget though.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
because he's the good Smash player* who makes the good Youtube content** duh

*citation needs updating
**there are literally dozens more that are Smash players that aren't shit c'mon people

He stopped being good after losing his top tier in 4 anyways. After Bayonetta took the limelight, he lost his luster, and nevermind his haphazard ability to get into Ult. He was washed the second the game engine changed to destroy his best tactics.

Sorry to say that the reaction to this kind of confirms that the Smash community really is what so many accused it of being all these years. This might not be the majority but it's obvious this game — meant to be family-friendly — has a community crawling with some true creeps and many, many, many enablers.

One. I doubt you are.

Two. Your first sentence doesn't reflect the next point. That we are ALL in on this. That's the popular consensus I've seen here. Hell, even saying the majority isn't a group of enablers is a step up from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
He stopped being good after losing his top tier in 4 anyways. After Bayonetta took the limelight, he lost his luster, and nevermind his haphazard ability to get into Ult. He was washed the second the game engine changed to destroy his best tactics.
Yep. He was truly a one-hit wonder.

Ironically, Omega-OP Bayonetta was one of the best things to happen to Smash 4.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. He was truly a one-hit wonder.

We can acknowledge he's shitty and shouldn't come back while also not making things up tbh

People shouldn't be allowed to get away with shit just because they were good. And I don't think that's a problem in this thread, in case that was the concern

Given the serious allegations, involving minors, surely there has been police involvement?

If only.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017

Really annoys me how people in the public eye frequently get away with the most abhorrent shit, by taking "a career break to get help" or whatever, and try to cast themselves as the victim - only to then return to the public eye a year later as if nothing ever happened.

We see it all the time with celebs and politicians, now it seems streamers too. I never forget though.
unfortunately not since the victim never pressed charges

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
We can acknowledge he's shitty and shouldn't come back while also not making things up tbh

People shouldn't be allowed to get away with shit just because they were good. And I don't think that's a problem in this thread, in case that was the concern
By one-hit wonder, I mean he was really good with one character, while the character balance was in a position for him to do really well with that character. He won a lot of tournaments as a result, but I have no reason to praise his abilities to win tournaments with a high-tier Diddy Kong.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020

He was a good player in 4, but yeah a one-hit wonder. It's not a lie to say that he was good at utilizing the mechanics of early Smash 4 and Diddy Kong + Sheik but was primarily good because of how strong sheilding, air-dodging, perfect-sheilding and rolling and general defensive options were in 4. He was unbeatable in the early game, but as the mechanics changed to de-emphasize defense he started losing more and more.

By the time Ult came around and comepletely rewrote how defense was he was just not able to adjust.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By one-hit wonder, I mean he was really good with one character, while the character balance was in a position for him to do really well with that character. He won a lot of tournaments as a result, but I have no reason to praise his abilities to win tournaments with a high-tier Diddy Kong.

He was a good player in 4, but yeah a one-hit wonder. It's not a lie to say that he was good at utilizing the mechanics of early Smash 4 and Diddy Kong + Sheik but was primarily good because of how strong sheilding, air-dodging, perfect-sheilding and rolling and general defensive options were in 4. He was unbeatable in the early game, but as the mechanics changed to de-emphasize defense he started losing more and more.

By the time Ult came around and comepletely rewrote how defense was he was just not able to adjust.

Any further would look like defending ZeRo which I am not here to do. But these are both super incorrect. If you want to DM instead, I can explain further, but my only point is: shitty person doesn't get to be shitty just because he pressed buttons good.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Any further would look like defending ZeRo which I am not here to do. But these are both super incorrect. If you want to DM instead, I can explain further, but my only point is: shitty person doesn't get to be shitty just because he pressed buttons good.
To that, I would argue that the community enabled him to be shitty because he could press buttons good.

The entire culture in the Smash competitive scene around "Smash Gods" and shit that stroked egos and made idiots like Zero think that they were entitled to very special treatment was always garbage.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The victim would need to press charges and it would be a relatively complex case with a very low chance of a satisfying conclusion.
This is so off the mark. The people who are supporting him are predominantly not those who are actually active in the community playing in and running events. No one who matters supports him, it's just random fans that make up a small minority of the overall fanbase of one of the most popular games in the world.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To that, I would argue that the community enabled him to be shitty because he could press buttons good.

The entire culture in the Smash competitive scene around "Smash Gods" and shit that stroked egos and made idiots like Zero think that they were entitled to very special treatment was always garbage.

I agree with that, mostly. I think his fanbase wasn't as great when he was just dominant. When he stepped back to do content, that's when he gained the cult-like following he has today.

Then, the thing is that building influence over these audiences is normal and encouraged at a larger scale today since more people can be celebrities. So when people do lie or sexually abuse others, they get defended.

And in his case, he can't find any other employment so he comes back to continue influencing people to make money. Which compounds the problem.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020

It's one of those things that make me glad the nature of Smash has moved away from exclusively benefiting a minority of players.

Controversial point, but I feel like the nature of Melee and the incredibly strict requirements for even base performance made it inevitable that only a few players could benefit, and combine that with that really early frat culture lead to a very unhealthy relationship between regular players and the top Smashers.

The lack of any sense of balancing didn't help for Brawl and 4 which again, were dominated by only a small group. In this case, the smallest of champions let his ego grow to dangerous degrees.

Right now at least, I feel the nature of Ult being just a more accessible and well balanced game has at least improved some of that celebrity worship.

Sort of...

Streaming makes that still a problem, but I guess at the least it's more evenly distributed in a way that more voices can be heard. There's a more balanced scene of voices not just trying to play follow the leader to some frat opinion.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

Man this is an odd point from my pov. Sports in general do that whole "deifying the greatest" thing. It's not something unique to Smash. ZeRo is just a piece of shit. He would have been an evil piece of shit with or without Smash.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, I always wondered why Nintendo never embraced or condemned the Smash Competitive Community.

Last year, I understood why.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Y'know, I always wondered why Nintendo never embraced or condemned the Smash Competitive Community.

Last year, I understood why.

They're literally licensing a Smash circuit for next year lol.

Also, do people not understand how silly this point sounds? Nintendo never embraced the Smash community because some of them are terrible people? Any hobby is going to have its fair share of awful people. Trying to extrapolate that to the scene as a whole is so frustrating.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
25 million people play this game, any community of that size will have its fair share of bad people. If you mean the competitive community, Zero hasn't been unbanned from anything. He has a following on youtube, anyone can get that regardless of what they've done.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
I'm ok with believing people have been character assassinated if they actually fucking provide receipts 🧾

where are they

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has been reticent about supporting the competitive smash community long before all of the shitty behavior was brought to life.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Man this is an odd point from my pov. Sports in general do that whole "deifying the greatest" thing. It's not something unique to Smash. ZeRo is just a piece of shit. He would have been an evil piece of shit with or without Smash.
It's not unique to Smash, no. But that doesn't really absolve anything, either.

They're literally licensing a Smash circuit for next year lol.

Also, do people not understand how silly this point sounds? Nintendo never embraced the Smash community because some of them are terrible people? Any hobby is going to have its fair share of awful people. Trying to extrapolate that to the scene as a whole is so frustrating.
People with more distance from the Smash scene can't be faulted if the events of last summer painted a negative perception of the scene as a whole in their minds. It's also true that, for the longest time, Smash's competitive scene did little to nothing to prevent those issues from happening, and supported circumstances that led to that same bad shit. Last summer was an inflection point, and a lot of people realized that the scene really needed to just grow up. A Code of Conduct made up of volunteers tried to do their part in cleaning up the mess, but didn't have the resources to undertake the sheer volume of work that it required.

And painting whataboutisms regarding professional sports and the like doesn't really seem to argue what you think it argues, given that professional leagues are increasingly aware of abusive behavior and taking action. Some leagues have been quicker to act than others, and some sports are seemingly far more rife with such behavior than others, but in the past few years, people from individual athletes to executive ownerships have been punished for abusive actions both racial and sexual in nature. I'm glad that the Smash scene is taking steps to clean up, and I'm glad that Panda Global actually made the effort to reach out to Nintendo about partnering on a tournament series in that regard. But these sorts of stains to reputations take time to wash away.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
It was probably a calculated move on his part. Lay low for a number of months, wait for the storm to pass, claim everything against him is a witch hunt, and return to the loving embrace of a firm base of fans and new reactionary people to fill his coffers back up. Canceling doesn't work without deplatforming the offenders, which is why Jontron, ProJared, and now Zero can keep flourishing with impunity.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
It's not unique to Smash, no. But that doesn't really absolve anything, either.

People with more distance from the Smash scene can't be faulted if the events of last summer painted a negative perception of the scene as a whole in their minds. It's also true that, for the longest time, Smash's competitive scene did little to nothing to prevent those issues from happening, and supported circumstances that led to that same bad shit. Last summer was an inflection point, and a lot of people realized that the scene really needed to just grow up. A Code of Conduct made up of volunteers tried to do their part in cleaning up the mess, but didn't have the resources to undertake the sheer volume of work that it required.

And painting whataboutisms regarding professional sports and the like doesn't really seem to argue what you think it argues, given that professional leagues are increasingly aware of abusive behavior and taking action. Some leagues have been quicker to act than others, and some sports are seemingly far more rife with such behavior than others, but in the past few years, people from individual athletes to executive ownerships have been punished for abusive actions both racial and sexual in nature. I'm glad that the Smash scene is taking steps to clean up, and I'm glad that Panda Global actually made the effort to reach out to Nintendo about partnering on a tournament series in that regard. But these sorts of stains to reputations take time to wash away.

I'm not doing whataboutism, I'm saying it's ridiculous to conflate the scene as a whole with what some awful people did. Nobody does that for the NBA, NFL, etc. and it shouldn't be done here. There's plenty of wonderful people in the Smash pro scene. There's some evil people, too. We can keep outing the evil people without posts acting as if the scene as a whole is rife with that evil or that it's logical for Nintendo to avoid the scene because of them.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
I am bumping this up because there is a new development, ZeRo has officially sued Jisu and she... said things that maybe she shouldn't have said in public (could be used against her in court) and is asking for a large sum of money ($150,000), according to PlayerEssence's experience in court, it seems like a very large sum, a lot larger than what he had to pay, but as I live in Mexico and I am not familiar with this, but it sounds like a bit too much to me. Anyhow, here is the post detailing that:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
fuck ZeRo. also leading the GFM title with "Ex-Gamer" is odd to read..

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
IDK how much it all costs, but court fees, lawyers, etc aren't cheap and something like this could get dragged out for a while.
I hope someone could clarify, I believe it took less than $10k for PlayerEssence in his case, which is why I found her asking for $150k odd, but I guess if it gets dragged out for a very long time it could cost that much. I wonder if there is a lawyer in Era willing to tell us about that.

I must add, she shouldn't have called ZeRo names, even if they are true, anything and everything can be used against you in court, so the very best one can do is to remain silent and not talk about the topic at all, outside of mentioning it's happening.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Regardless of who's right, the person with the money is always at a huge advantage when it comes to lawsuits. This is a really unfortunate situation for Jisu to be in...

GrislyRaccoon

Apr 30, 2021
I hope someone could clarify, I believe it took less than $10k for PlayerEssence in his case, which is why I found her asking for $150k odd, but I guess if it gets dragged out for a very long time it could cost that much. I wonder if there is a lawyer in Era willing to tell us about that.

I must add, she shouldn't have called ZeRo names, even if they are true, anything and everything can be used against you in court, so the very best one can do is to remain silent and not talk about the topic at all, outside of mentioning it's happening.

So the Lawsuit has reach Jisu....I believe leffen is next person to get a lawsuit. Zero did say in his video, legal action would be taken place. There is no way she can win in this situation. Not sure of the huge sum of money seems like a bit too much. Her GoFundMe summary is a little off too. Everything seems too wierd to me.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
So the Lawsuit has reach Jisu....I believe leffen is next person to get a lawsuit. Zero did say in his video, legal action would be taken place. There is no way she can win in this situation. Not sure of the huge sum of money seems like a bit too much. Her GoFundMe summary is a little off too. Everything seems too wierd to me.
If she is in the right she should win, shouldn't she? In any case, she shouldn't say more on the matter outside of clarifying why she'd need so much money, if it's to settle it out of court she should say it, if it isn't I am not sure why she'd ask for so much, I really wish someone would tag a lawyer so they'd clarify this.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Boy...he better hope they don't have receipts, because this is how entitled people end up in jail.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If she is in the right she should win, shouldn't she? In any case, she shouldn't say more on the matter outside of clarifying why she'd need so much money, if it's to settle it out of court she should say it, if it isn't I am not sure why she'd ask for so much, I really wish someone would tag a lawyer so they'd clarify this.
Lawyers cost money, so people can try to use the legal system to bully others by dragging the process out even if they don't have the grounds to actually win. I believe the effectiveness of this varies by legal system though; for example, it's not as effective a strategy if you have to pay for the opponent's lawyer if you lose.

Edit: Not a lawyer, I should clarify.

GrislyRaccoon

Apr 30, 2021

DotEsports seems to be covering the story. The have a few snippet of what the lawsuit has. Have a read, also I agree she should not say anything else.

It seems that she definitely said some things that seems to push a false narrative. But ill be following this story carefully and see how it develops.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Since this seems to be the "drama" thread, and seeing as it pertains to Zero's case, here's a deep dive someone did on Technicals

Dude's a massive fucking hypocrite at the least, and the whole Nairo thing just reeks of trying to get heat off of Zero while at the same time causing some drama.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
DotEsports seems to be covering the story. The have a few snippet of what the lawsuit has. Have a read, also I agree she should not say anything else.

It seems that she definitely said some things that seems to push a false narrative. But ill be following this story carefully and see how it develops.
Oh, so he... stabbed himself to try to die at one point, that explains the even when the emergency services were called for him. Maybe many disagree, but I don't think him dying would have been a good thing. In any case, I'll also be following this to see where it all leads to, though it will take some time before all the litigation starts and ends, which means we'll probably not hear anything from any of them, as anything any of them says can and will be used against them.

GrislyRaccoon

Apr 30, 2021
Since this seems to be the "drama" thread, and seeing as it pertains to Zero's case, here's a deep dive someone did on Technicals

Dude's a massive fucking hypocrite at the least, and the whole Nairo thing just reeks of trying to get heat off of Zero while at the same time causing some drama.

Yea I checked this out as well. However,

1 - What Techs brother did was seemingly was worse then what ZeRo did.

2 - Techs brother is banned from the community and left. ( WHICH IS GOOD)

3 - What Nairo did still feels ethically worse then what techs brother did, having two sexual encounters with a minor, is worse then drawing nude pictures of minors, or making jokes about wanting to have sex with them.

I won't call him a hypocrite since maybe this case was already dealt with from the beginning. The smash community just sucks man, I mean even some people actually tried to kill Technicals. I'm still waiting for the purge to happen. Hopefully Nintendo can at least weed out the bad people.

GrislyRaccoon

Apr 30, 2021
Oh, so he... stabbed himself to try to die at one point, that explains the even when the emergency services were called for him. Maybe many disagree, but I don't think him dying would have been a good thing. In any case, I'll also be following this to see where it all leads to, though it will take some time before all the litigation starts and ends, which means we'll probably not hear anything from any of them, as anything any of them says can and will be used against them.

I just really hope Nintendo kinda purges the Smash Community into having a clean slate.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I just really hope Nintendo kinda purges the Smash Community into having a clean slate.

How do you think Nintendo "purges" something into a clean state? That sounds like fantasy.
It's not on Nintendo to vet thousands of people. At most they can ban anyone sus from Nintendo events and aid security at majors.

Last edited:

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Can't believe i'm back on ERA yet here i am.

Literallly no one has watched the Technical video and it show, or didn't watch it fully, or he watched it but don't give a shit. I don't even care about ZeRo, think what you want about him, but if you defend Jisu you are a problem, ZeRo isn't even the only person who suffer from Jisu actions.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

Remember, you actually need to establish that Jisu made the statements with malice for his defamation claim to be actionable in California. When looking at the four claims he's trying to make:

1 & 2. Of course he's going to say he never physically abused his wife, so this is going to come down to how she obtained this information (or if she had reason to believe the info was true). The age difference... eh, she thought there was a 4.5-5 year gap when there is a 2.5 age gap between them. Again, this is going to come down to where and how she got this info even if it was incorrect info.

3. He's going to deny that he wanted to fly a minor to an event; this is interesting because he does not deny trying to solicit a minor to masturbate to him (this was something ZeRo admitted and hell, there is probably a reason why he's going after Jisu and not Katie), only the flying part. Again, this is going to come down to how she got this information, but if she knew about the other stuff, her belief here would probably be reasonable and without malice.

4. ZeRo's "but craiglist banned sex worker ads in 2010" is absolutely not going to fly. I know this for a fact because radio stations across the country were still airing sex worker ads in Craigslist before 2010, after 2010, and even up to 2021. Posters got around this by posting ads in different sections, changing titles, and hell, I believe that they didn't even ban them from every country at first. One of my city's local radio stations still collects these kinds of craiglist ads for their "Freak of the Week" section as recently as last fucking week. With good lawyering, ZeRo should absolutely lose this one because this isn't even a good argument.

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017

Literallly no one has watched the Technical video and it show, or didn't watch it fully, or he watched it but don't give a shit. I don't even care about ZeRo, think what you want about him, but if you defend Jisu you are a problem, ZeRo isn't even the only person who suffer from Jisu actions.
So lay it out all for us.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017

So explain the video instead of just posting a video and expecting people to watch it.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018

I hear this a lot with situations like this, such as the Leffen hate video from Hax.

"Just watch the video" isn't a good response. Videos can be made in bad faith, and I already have a deep distrust in Technical's based on their past behavior.

Surely if the video is so good, you can quote or summarize one good point?