Dec 4, 2017
I'm an older millennial who got his first taste of gaming on cassette-loaded C64 clones, and I don't have any nostalgia related to them. The only interesting thing about them is the SID music. Same with NES games. I received as a gift one of those early-90s NES clones that Eastern Europe was full of at the time, so I played a lot of stuff. I only like the music.
Nor do I have any nostalgia related to the crappy fixed camera angles and bad controls of the early 3D console ports (always been a mainly PC gamer). Though, in fairness, at the time the PS1 was making rounds, I was typing POOSLICE into Syndicate Wars's login screen.
Heck, I find even a lot of early PC games (basically everything pre-1992) a chore to play due to poor mouse integration.

Last edited:

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
The real talk is that EVEN most millennials don't appreciate old games. Most people have a pretty limited palette when it comes to that stuff and it does make me sad, not much you can do about it though. You either have that desire to seek out everything gaming has to offer and are able to acclimate to different (= not better or worse) design approaches of generations past.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed this for a while now and I just feel I have to rant: They don't appreciate older titles all the way back from the PS1. PS2 and PS3 era. Maybe even further back. They don't know the struggle of running out of space and getting memory cards in plastic packaging. Nowadays, they get off lightly with having extra storage space with their HDD's (soon to be SSD's for consoles) I'd even go as far as to say they don't play older games because the controls are abit awkward and "hard to get used to" And whatever happened to cheat codes? And magazines with demos in? I miss those days. It was simpler times. Maybe it's just me though being old and reminiscing how times have changed (most likely)

Edit: Okk, so I got said title wrong. I thought Millennials is year 2000 onwards. We all make mistakes. Don't crucify me. I am just an old man yelling at cloud afterall ;)

Jesus where to start

Nah I don't have time for all this I'll just say two things.

1. Call of Duty just dropped like a 60 gig patch so please don't tell me they don't know the struggles of running out of space.

2. Many boomers don't give credit to the games of today. Like Fortnite, for example, is a generational game with a completely original gameplay mechanic. Yet there's plenty of people who refuse to give it credit.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie has the best open world of any game ever made.
The highlights of BK and BT are really good. I really have fond memories of the whole ending sequence of BK. And some of the writing was great. The graphics and art are all top notch.

But man they have you do a lot of bullshit and some of it just feels like busywork that is not fun.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this apply to movies and music as well ? Like how many people go out of their way to watch/listen to classics ? I'll bet its a minority.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
People with good taste!

Same for video games then.

But real talk its hard to find people who would be interested in that. Like I watch some old movies that look interesting , but most of the time i'd watch it alone since nobody else is interested. Same deal for video games , I'd be one of the few who would go back and play Genesis/SNES games when the PS2 was out. Because not every PS2 game that came out was actually that appealing.

Consuming older media is something that is rare in general. Not just videogames.

My first console I bought after the GameCube (in 2002) was a Wii U in 2014 and then moved on to the Switch when it released.

Overall, I was surprised by how little things have changed. We can create massive worlds by '02 standards, but the fundamental aspects of gameplay are still relatively the same as they were since that generation.

Also, I'll point out that some genres are arguably much better during the older generations (2D fighters, shmups, arcade racers...maybe platformers?) than anything from the past 10-15 years.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
The highlights of BK and BT are really good. I really have fond memories of the whole ending sequence of BK. And some of the writing was great. The graphics and art are all top notch.

But man they have you do a lot of bullshit and some of it just feels like busywork that is not fun.
I do not see what element of Banjo-Kazooie classifies as bullshit. It is very dense and even is light on mini games (which was a bit of an issue with its successors DK64 and Tooie).

Oct 28, 2017
I mean....its only natural. Without cultural context, plenty of art loses meaning for subsequent generations.

Like, I was born in '85. And outside of "I like knowing my history", I really don't mess with much older than myself. I have no connection to it.

Also, games are different than movies, or music in the way they iterate, and frequently have a reach that exceed their grasp from a technology standpoint. There are many albums from the early days of rock that were executed exactly how the artists wanted them to turn out. I'd hazard that not a single Atari 2600 game didn't have greater aspirations than what was eventually released, but the tech of the time held them back. Visions like that are hard to go back and appreciate as complete works outside of academic interest.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
You mean the age of awful 60 to 50Hz conversions?
I feel blessed to have never actually experienced those dark times.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I do not see what element of Banjo-Kazooie classifies as bullshit. It is very dense and even is light on mini games (which was a bit of an issue with its successors DK64 and Tooie).
The collecting of things was just not fun at times. You would just have to be meticulous in how you approached a level but it was not especially enjoyable for me. To be fair at times I did have fun with it too.

The boss battles and some elements were amazing, but a lot of the gameplay could be a chore (at least for me).

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I really like the 16-bit era, and I quite like the gamecube and after, but phew, for a while there, it was really easy not to care about games. When Spyro the Dragon was a major icon, that was a bad time.

But I've been catching up a little! Just started Banjo-Kazooie, and I definitely think it is the best game of its sort that I know of, including Mario 64.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
The collecting of things was just not fun at times. You would just have to be meticulous in how you approached a level but it was not especially enjoyable for me. To be fair at times I did have fun with it too.
I do not think that is an aging issue though, because if you do not like collectibles as structuring mechanisms, then the game cannot be very fun to you.

The boss battles and some elements were amazing, but a lot of the gameplay could be a chore (at least for me).
Fun fact: The whole game has no boss battles except for the final boss (I still feel you mix up Kazooie and Tooie a bit).

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
I really like the 16-bit era, and I quite like the gamecube and after, but phew, for a while there, it was really easy not to care about games. When Spyro the Dragon was a major icon, that was a bad time.

But I've been catching up a little! Just started Banjo-Kazooie, and I definitely think it is the best game of its sort that I know of, including Mario 64.

And yet, which of these three franchises has a beautiful modern remaster?

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
idk I'm playing the 360 version of Banjo Kazooie, it looks good to me

widescreen and stuff

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The end of the '90s? I was too busy playing Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Ocarina of Time, Xenogears, Soul Calibur, Planescape: Torment, Crazy Taxi, System Shock 2, Sonic Adventure, etc. to give a shit about Spyro.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, see for me, I didn't care until Chibi Robo came out, but I picked up a Dreamcast later to play Ikaruga and Rez and Space Channel Five

In a better world, Chibi Robo would be where Animal Crossing is now

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I do not think that is an aging issue though, because if you do not like collectibles as structuring mechanisms, then the game cannot be very fun to you.

Fun fact: The whole game has no boss battles except for the final boss (I still feel you mix up Kazooie and Tooie a bit).
I was generally talking about both games. And honestly it has been a long time since I played them. I have some really positive memories of both and some not as good.

I don't mind collectibles or any form of gameplay, but the process has to be fun. And sometimes I felt it was just not fun, at least to me. But I am glad I played them.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I mean....its only natural. Without cultural context, plenty of art loses meaning for subsequent generations.

This. And I would agree that it's even more applicable to games. If you were born after Rocky was made, yeah it looks old, but it's still a hell of a story and movie. Street Fighter 2, for example, was a hell of a game in its day, but outside of historical context, why would anyone even bother with it today? There are dozens, if not hundreds of games, many by Capcom themselves, that look, sound, and play vastly better than SF2.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
This. And I would agree that it's even more applicable to games. If you were born after Rocky was made, yeah it looks old, but it's still a hell of a story and movie. Street Fighter 2, for example, was a hell of a game in its day, but outside of historical context, why would anyone even bother with it today? There are dozens, if not hundreds of games, many by Capcom themselves, that look, sound, and play vastly better than SF2.
Games have a more "replacement" feel than other art forms. This isn't a bad thing either, in fact it makes games more accessible to newer generations. To your point, why play the original SF2 when there are a bunch of other iterations of SF2 alone, let alone other entries in the series.
I'm a millennial, the oldest console my family had growing up was a SNES. I never understood the hype behind SMB3, because I grew up playing SMW. Played it on the NES at a barber shop and was less than impressed.
Fast forward a few years and Nintendo ports the all stars version to GBA as Super Mario Advance 4. Playing that with some modern QOL enhancements (or what I assume are) really helped me appreciate the level design, art and music.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
This highlights one of the biggest issues with exposing Gen Z/Zoomers to old games: much of the millennial driven media (and this site) tells them only Nintendo consoles mattered prior to the 32-bit era. They probably assume that people older than them know their stuff so they don't seek out other systems or arcade games to the anywhere near the same degree.
A big part of it is that Nintendo is constantly rekindling their legacy through new consoles/games that are closely related to their inheritance and these new games aren't just marginal releases but some of the most popular of the current generation therefore it's only natural that there is a Nintendo's bias for classic content.
The whole Nintendo business vert on making their games feeling "classic" and "timeless".

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I'm on the Millennial/Gen Z border. I grew up with the Ps1, but I can't go back to that gen because the graphics and controls have aged like milk. For the most part, I don't really care for 2D games of the NES/SNES era either. I have a few big standouts that I love (Tetris, Punch Out!!), but I wouldn't be bothered if I could never play any of those games again.