mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

www.ign.com

Zorro 2.0 Turns The Swashbuckling Vigilante Into A Hacker - IGN

A new film from Alex Rivera titled Zorro 2.0 brings the classic pulp hero up to date as a hacker who uncovers a government conspiracy.

Zorro is back – the legendary masked vigilante is set to return in Zorro 2.0, a high-tech take on the swashbuckling classic.

According to Deadline, Alex Rivera will write and direct Zorro 2.0 – a modern day reimagining of the classic pulp hero.

"The film reimagines the iconic character as Oscar de la Vega, a young, undocumented hacker known as 'z0rr0'," reveals Deadline. And it looks as though he's going to use his skills to stick it to the man.

"While fighting back against a secret government unit that attacked his mother, he discovers a high-tech conspiracy that threatens not only his family but the world."

Zorro originally appeared in the works of Johnston McCulley via a series of pulp magazines from the 1910s to 1950s. Depicted as a masked vigilante, Zorro is often depicted in a black costume with flowing cape and a black mask. His signature weapon, the rapier, is used to leave his calling card – a letter 'Z' slashed with three quick strokes.

Whether or not Zorro 2.0 will take any cues from the original is unknown.

"I've always been interested in films that address real-world issues through genre," said Zorro 2.0 writer and director, Alex Rivera. "This project is an opportunity to connect Zorro—the original masked avenger—to today's border wars, a conflict in which immigrant families are pitted against regimes of hi-tech surveillance and government control.

"Zorro 2.0 will be visually elevated, socially grounded, sci-fi cinema, and I'm thrilled to be working with Sobini to get this vision on the screen," he added.

Cut a wound in the shape of a Z on me if old

Oct 27, 2017
danny-devito-no.gif

But I guess it could turn out like Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
What's the betting his 'hacker name' is ZERRO and through the lessons he learns in the film he changes it to Zorro?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NO

NO

NO

FUCK THIS

Sorry, but Zorro is a big part of my childhood being one of the few Latino heroes I grew up with and FUCKING HELL THIS SOUNDS SO DUMB

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This sounds like somebody dusted off a 90's script. Hacking isn't a magical art anymore.

Also, I'll be upset if it's not spelled Z0220 at some point. Just hacking a big ASCII "Z" onto people's monitors somehow.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
...a hacker? So then all the action scenes will be fake computer UIs, brow sweat, and fast finger typing?

In all seriousness, this sounds droll. That's the best thing I can say about it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The movie's just a guy in a chair somewhere sending out Excel files with harmful macros, then phoning in to help desk and pretending he's an employee who forgot their password.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
There is something hilarious and naive and almost-sweet about someone using 2.0 to mean futuristic in this day and age.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Why even call him Zorro.
That's my gripe with reimagining characters too far from the source material. It doesn't feel like an evolution of the characters, just a way to graft an existing IP onto the actual story you want to write.

If you want to take Batman and make him a chiropractor, just make a new character.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's my gripe with reimagining characters too far from the source material. It doesn't feel like an evolution of the characters, just a way to graft an existing IP onto the actual story you want to write.

If you want to take Batman and make him a chiropractor, just make a new character.

Check out Darren Aronofsky's script for Batman Year One for another example of this.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017

Yep same. Just give them a different name cause they are a completely different character.