thegodsend

Oct 26, 2017
Just days after I finally caved and bought Bluetooth headphones and days before I'm travelling for four weeks. I think Nintendo provided this updated mainly for me.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Were there any other nuggets found in the new firmware?
1) Bluetooth Audio support

2) Docks with the built in Ethernet port can now receive firmware updates

3) Increased character limit when posting screenshots or videos from the Switch to Twitter

4) Maintain internet connection in sleep mode is now an option. Was previously on by default causing older Switch units to heat up

5) Can calibrate control sticks better

6) You can view if your connected to the internet via 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequency

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Airpods Pro connected and seem to work well for me and don't notice any major lag. The only issue I would say is that the audio seems rather quiet an have it at max volume. However I've never used headphones with switch so maybe that's normal?

Hopefully they work well with Sony Mx3.
I'm not sure how Switch handles volume over bluetooth, but my guess is that it doesn't link directly into the bluetooth volume controls. Meaning, you should set your Switch to output 100% volume, then adjust the volume on your headsets until preferred, for best volume, quality and battery life.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how Switch handles volume over bluetooth, but my guess is that it doesn't link directly into the bluetooth volume controls. Meaning, you should set your Switch to output 100% volume, then adjust the volume on your headsets until preferred, for best volume, quality and battery life.

When it pairs to the Switch, my Bluetooth headphones set its own volume to somewhere in the middle every time, so I suspect this is what happens to basically everyone. To really get max volume, both the Switch and the headphones' own volume must be set to the to max.

Jun 2, 2019
When it pairs to the Switch, my Bluetooth headphones set its own volume to somewhere in the middle every time, so I suspect this is what happens to basically everyone. To really get max volume, both the Switch and the headphones' own volume must be set to the to max.

Mines don't have volume control at all, and the Switch volume controls ties to them.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I always found it crazy that the system supported up to 8 separate controllers - but I suppose that allows for 4 players all using wireless Joy Cons... I remember speculation that the reason they weren't supporting headsets was to do with available resources and not wanting to pay Bluetooth fees or something - turns out they were just using all of their wireless bandwidth for controllers. I never have more than 2 players connected anyway, so this great, better late than never!

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The audio lag is crazy and I really don't get what the big deal is. Using wired headphones is a better idea when portable since the Switch has a headphone jack. Gaming really sucks with bluetooth audio.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
And PSP Go did too, but my focus is on the home console space, since some people is treating bluetooth audio as something that is being widely used, and Nintendo is late yet again.
Understood. I wasn't really thinking about home and portable here since Switch is both. Actually probably was thinking more about it from a portable POV and that it feels strange to have a portable device at this time without Bluetooth.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
If anyone has Galaxy Buds - I think you can set the headphone volume using the Galaxy Wearable app... you can also map the touch functions on the buds to something other than play/pause if you want.

cxw

Jan 6, 2019
sorry if this was already asked/answered somewhere in here, but when using the voice chat app for multiplayer does the app also play game audio as well as voice chat or nah

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The audio lag is crazy and I really don't get what the big deal is. Using wired headphones is a better idea when portable since the Switch has a headphone jack. Gaming really sucks with bluetooth audio.

It's all about options - and apparently the lag widely varies by headset and amount of connected wireless controllers.

Jun 2, 2019
Understood. I wasn't really thinking about home and portable here since Switch is both. Actually probably was thinking more about it from a portable POV and that it feels strange to have a portable device at this time without Bluetooth.

Yeah, and from a portable pov you're right, but i honestly didn't see Nintendo enabling BT given that it's only BT antenna manages the controllers' connection and it doesn't support aptx either, so that means having latency.

Well, in the end they enabled it, and i can take my switch to commute without having to wear my bulky headset with me only to play while on the bus. There's so much my backpack can store.

Now, to find a device with the lowest amout of audio lag possible

I doubt it had anything to do with it. The BT audio driver has been in the OS for a while already.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I tried my cheap blue tooth earbuds and as expected the lag is atrocious.
I'm considering buying the Sony WF1000XMB3, if anyone tried them, I'd like to know if they work well with switch.

Oct 26, 2017
The joystick calibration menu has also been updated. Previously you used to press the stick in order to select it for calibration, now you tilt it. I wonder if anything else about the joycons has been changed. They were given an update along with the OS.

Anyone notice anything?

Jun 2, 2019
The joystick calibration menu has also been updated. Previously you used to press the stick in order to select it for calibration, now you tilt it. I wonder if anything else about the joycons has been changed. They were given an update along with the OS.

Anyone notice anything?

No, that update is to allow controllers with non pressable sticks to be calibrated too, like the gamecube controllers.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice, will make use of this when playing Metroid Dread next month, for sure.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Damn my blutooth headphones make crackling noises when using it on the switch and the delay is bad on my end, couldn't play a song in Project Diva at all. Luckily I can just connect them wired still

Jun 23, 2019
Damn, can't have audio lag when playing Hatsune Miku or Taiko no Tatsujin. Gonna pass and stick with wired headphones.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
I tried my cheap blue tooth earbuds and as expected the lag is atrocious.
I'm considering buying the Sony WF1000XMB3, if anyone tried them, I'd like to know if they work well with switch.
I paired my WF-1000XM3 to the Switch and there's no discernible lag at all, but there's this crazy distortion going on..........the sound is all messed up.

Edit: I put the Sony's back in the case and took them out again and the sound is good now! Played a bit of Warioware and there's really barely any lag at all. I paired the Switch with another tws, Tronsmart Spunky Beat and the sound was clear, but had some lag, more than the XM3's.
The only problem is putting the Switch in sleep mode and it will disconnect, which is a bummer, so it doesn't work like a phone.

Edit 2: Seems really hit or miss when re-connecting with the XM3's. Sometimes I get a clear sound, other times I get distortion.........

Last edited:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super glad this is finally here, but man, the sound is laughingly low. Especially as someone who takes public transportation.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My wife is going to love this news as she likes to use wireless earbuds. My headset uses a dongle, so it probably still won't work.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Glad they finally added it, and especially relieved it's just a firmware update with seemingly no caveats

Now if we could just get a web browser and some proper apps like Netflix/Prime/AppleTV/Disney

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I noticed a bit of lag on the 1st gen galaxy buds too but I can put up with it I think. I'll be curious to see which earbuds have the lowest latency... I'm not against trying something else...

Its obvious in Quake when jumping as the Ranger's grunt comes a little after the movement, and you can tell if you test one of the Mario games in the NES emulator too - but its within tolerance for me. Maybe not for music games. I think its the same on my phone as well but I mainly use them for spotify as opposed to videos or anything so they're fine

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
I think people are going to enjoy this a lot less than they expect. Most people will end up with so much latency it'll be unusable. There's a reason why headsets are custom built for Xbox and PlayStation, and don't just use Bluetooth.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Samsung phone here too. I dont really notice it on videos, but it's super jarring on games.
The reason why you don't notice the latency on a phone is because you mainly use Bluetooth headphones to listen to music or watch videos. A video in YouTube or Netflix or any other service is pre-rendered, so the system (both iOS and Android and any other platform) compensate the latency and makes adjustments so the audio and video are synced.

But that's not possible with real time graphics. The system can't compensate and sync the gameplay and sound because it doesn't know what sound is going to play next.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Good to see Nintendo finally catching up on features that were standard a decade ago. I hope to still be around when they introduce groundbreaking stuff like folders and custom themes.

EDIT: I'm dumb. Please ignore this post.

Last edited: