• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 2, 2019
Wow. How did it take 4+ years to get around to this, to the point others made adapter's and NOW they bring it out.
Nintendo doing a Nintendo

No. We keep forgetting a few things.

Switch isn't only a portable. It's also a home console, and its hard limit for connected controllers fills the whole bluetooth bandwith.

Including bluetooth audio means making it compatible not only with headsets, but also with speakers, like sound bars and speaker towers.

Bluetooths audio takes 75% of the bandwith, that's why when you connect a device the OS stress that you can only connect two controllers when connected to a bluetooth device.

It's very possible that Nintendo has been adamant on this until they caved under the pressure. The driver was added on firmware 12.0.0 and since then they seem to have been working on compatibility.

It's very easy to go "lol Nintendo" but imagine the outrage if they just add it and then your average joe tries to have a smash match with friends while having the console connected to a bluetooth tower or whatever.

I wonder how the onboard BT compares to the Homespot USBC BT adaptor...

Not favorably, i would say.

USB-C BT adapters are designed for Bluetooth audio, On Board BT was there from the start for controller connectivity.

This is fine for anyone who doesn't want to buy an external adapter (myself, for example) but it's far from a perfect solution, since it lacks the aptx codec and it eats into the controllers' bandwith.

USB-C adapters are basically external processing cards. I would suggest trying your own headphones with the onboard BT before buying an adapter. Maybe they work fine.

Last edited:

Tarinus

May 19, 2018
Airpods Pro connected and seem to work well for me and don't notice any major lag. The only issue I would say is that the audio seems rather quiet an have it at max volume. However I've never used headphones with switch so maybe that's normal?

Hopefully they work well with Sony Mx3.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
With what bandwidth? They're already using a significant amount of the bandwidth just for the audio. Maybe if you don't want controllers working you might get the microphone working...
We can trade 2 seconds of button input for 2 seconds of mic support, constantly flipping back and forth. That way everyone is hap-

Jun 2, 2019
Honestly, I'd take wired controller headset through the controller support like the Wii U had. I just need to drill a headphone jack into my pro controller.

Power A has a controller exactly for that

The controller itself is wired though.

My guess is that they wanted as much bandwith as possible. Switch allows up to 8 controllers via BT, adding audio to the mix would reduce that significantly. Audio data is not exactly free.

EDIT: The gamepad itself connected on a 5 Ghz Wifi signal, so it had more than enough bandwith for everything, it even supported HRTF audio processed by the console!

Bluetooth is another beast entirely. The Wii U pro controller connected via BT, and didn't support audio through it.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Xbox Wireless Headset works too.

Catch is, if it's also synced to your Xbox, anytime you wanna use them with the Switch they'll turn on your Xbox.

I reached out to someone at Xbox about a potential update to the Xbox headset to add an option for it to not act like a controller. Or not turn the console on and off.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Power A has a controller exactly for that

The controller itself is wired though.

My guess is that they wanted as much bandwith as possible. Switch allows up to 8 controllers via BT, adding audio to the mix would reduce that significantly. Audio data is not exactly free.
Even if bandwidth was free, there's no guarantee that Nintendo would support it in a timely manner. At this point, I think my best solution is to just use my bone conduction headphones with that damn Switch app. That way I can still hear the game and play docked.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Airpods Pro connected and seem to work well for me and don't notice any major lag. The only issue I would say is that the audio seems rather quiet an have it at max volume. However I've never used headphones with switch so maybe that's normal?

Hopefully they work well with Sony Mx3.
Works perfectly with mir AirPods Pro!
I even think the latency is a little bit better than my Bluetooth adapter that I used before.

But just the convenience of being able to charge my switch while using Bluetooth headphones make is so much better now.

But I will keep my adapter because sometimes I need to connect two Bluetooth headphones at once for multiplayer.
How did you set them up?

How do you go back to using the AirPods Pro on your iPhone?

Jun 2, 2019
Even if bandwidth was free, there's no guarantee that Nintendo would support it in a timely manner. At this point, I think my best solution is to just use my bone conduction headphones with that damn Switch app. That way I can still hear the game and play docked.

I use my playstation gold headset. 2.4 Ghz audio with HRTF surround, and since i also have a PS4, the price was justified :3

At least the BT Audio option is finally there, wich is a thing we couldn't say yesterday.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
I use my playstation gold headset. 2.4 Ghz audio with HRTF surround, and since i also have a PS4, the price was justified :3

At least the BT Audio option is finally there, wich is a thing we couldn't say yesterday.
Oh, I'm definitely happy they finally did it. I have the Platinum PS4 headphones. Does the surround sound effect actually work on Switch games that support 5.1?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
what are some good bluetooth earbuds with low latency ? I'm sure there will be videos in the coming days/months regarding the best compatible ones for Switch but I was just wondering what would be the best option right now.

Oct 27, 2017

Switch isn't only a portable. It's also a home console, and its hard limit for connected controllers fills the whole bluetooth bandwith.

Including bluetooth audio means making it compatible not only with headsets, but also with speakers, like sound bars and speaker towers.

Bluetooths audio takes 75% of the bandwith, that's why when you connect a device the OS stress that you can only connect two controllers when connected to a bluetooth device.

It's very possible that Nintendo has been adamant on this until they caved under the pressure. The driver was added on firmware 12.0.0 and since then they seem to have been working on compatibility.

It's very easy to go "lol Nintendo" but imagine the outrage if they just add it and then your average joe tries to have a smash match with friends while having the console connected to a bluetooth tower or whatever.

Not favorably, i would say.

USB-C BT adapters are designed for Bluetooth audio, On Board BT was there from the start for controller connectivity.

This is fine for anyone who doesn't want to buy an external adapter (myself, for example) but it's far from a perfect solution, since it lacks the aptx codec and it eats into the controllers' bandwith.

USB-C adapters are basically external processing cards. I would suggest trying your own headphones with the onboard BT before buying an adapter. Maybe they work fine.

Yeah- I was a bit annoyed that this was released just as I was awaiting a USB-C Bluetooth adaptor (I already have a Genki adaptor).
However, after listening to how it sounds directly from the Switch—ouch. I'll actually stick with the adaptor. I love the convenience and freedom of built in Bluetooth, and maybe my earphones just don't play way (Sony WF-1000XM4), but this quality is literally unlistenable to me.

Jun 2, 2019
Oh, I'm definitely happy they finally did it. I have the Platinum PS4 headphones. Does the surround sound effect actually work on Switch games that support 5.1?

Yeah, if the game doesn't support surround sound, no dice, but it's still a good feature to have.

Just remember that the headset is not 100% compatible, so no on ear controls. You need to control volume from the Switch itself (long press to home button)

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
Looking forward to Digital Foundry lag test. Anyone know what BT-chip the Switch is using? Guessing no Qualcomm apt-X Low Latency...?

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I'm sure some work goes into it sure, and sure I'd rather have a feature eventually rather than never, but it seems to be a somewhat expected feature for electronics now, so it's still pretty laughable it took this long to happen and just out of the blue and not long after the community decided to just create their own thing to support it. The sound bar thing is a good point, but they've at least made it clear if you want multiple controllers too, it can't be done, I doubt Nintendo would be that stupid to push this out without realising the issues it would cause.

I have already noticed a bug using my bluetooth earphones though, though I doubt they're the most mainstream being Soundcore Liberty 2. If you adjust the volume through the switch, no audio is heard through them anymore and have to disconnect/reconnect to get it back.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I never thought they'd actually do this after all this time.

Works pretty well with my QC35 IIs, except the audio is really quiet even at max volume.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to save this for the Switch OLED and pretend this is an exclusive feature and the reason I upgraded!

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
No mic support is disappointing but I'm sure it'll happen within the next 4 years!
Probably longer than 4 years. Bluetooth itself does not have a standard codec with good quality audio when the mic is enabled. Unless you're ok with playing games in mono phonecall quality
what are some good bluetooth earbuds with low latency ? I'm sure there will be videos in the coming days/months regarding the best compatible ones for Switch but I was just wondering what would be the best option right now.
How low is low enough? It's basic bluetooth (SBC codec), which inherently has over 100ms of latency regardless of device.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Probably longer than 4 years. Bluetooth itself does not have a standard codec with good quality audio when the mic is enabled. Unless you're ok with playing games in mono phonecall quality
I want to believe that if anyone is going to push Bluetooth tech forward, it's the company that took 4 years to give us headphone support.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
But it is the only console maker currently that allows bluetooth headphones ...
Exactly why they should lead the charge on this. IDK man. It's late. No will to give Nintendo the business right now. I'm happy they did the update. Hoping that tech continues to evolve and that California doesn't run out of water in my lifetime.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
A substantial hardware feature added in a Nintendo OS update?

Oh, it's definitely the end times. This will be amazing for Dread.

Apr 26, 2020
I'm happy cuz when playing the switch on my monitor(without speakers built in) i always had to wear headphones with a dongle or with a cable to hear audio, but now i can connect the switch via bluetooth to my Speaker system. Just in time for metroid :P

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I'm using some relatively modest UGREEN HiTune X5 earphones with their gaming mode on and haven't encountered any latency that's been an issue for me.

This is a better upgrade than OLED, honestly.