• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can play SwSh with BT headphones, but you need to connect to the internet under Y-Comm, and then reconnect your headphones. It's clunky, especially because you get disconnected from the servers for sitting in the Switch's home menu too long.
Right, but I'm usually using Bluetooth when I'm not at home, so I don't have internet to use for that. The game needs an option to turn off comms entirely - they couldn't have known this was coming, but constant comms is still a battery drain.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My JBL Quantum 800 worked flawlessly, there was no latency at all which surprised me

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tested this out with my Bose headphones. With the headphones connected to both my Switch and my cell phone it was able to seamlessly switch between the two audio sources, though it would prioritize my phone.

With a wireless controller in use as well, there was a ton of latency, both for the controller and the audio. Not sure whose fault that is (besides mine).

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Remarkable. I thought that Nintendo had reached the conclusion that if they couldn't do it with little or no latency that they shouldn't do it. I was frustrated by that decision, but I kind of respected it. Having it come in 4 years later is very strange, and with all the caveats about the mic and other controllers, I wonder if there were some technical hurdles to overcome.

Regardless, I'm happy it's here and look forward to testing out my headphones.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Tested this out with my Bose headphones. With the headphones connected to both my Switch and my cell phone it was able to seamlessly switch between the two audio sources, though it would prioritize my phone.

With a wireless controller in use as well, there was a ton of latency, both for the controller and the audio. Not sure whose fault that is (besides mine).
I also have Bose headphones and the latency was bothersome just navigating the system settings.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just read the whole thread and the headset volume limiter option and the how to play Pokémon Sword/Shield with Bluetooth audio posts should be threadmarked since so many people are bringing up those two things.

Neo Samus

Dec 28, 2017
For people that are experiencing the low max volume, are you using airpod's? I have a pair of AirPods and Pro and my airpods have the low volume issue, but the Pros do not.

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
i really hope this moves sony and microsoft to provide this feature, it is so convenient. big props to nintendo for doing this.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
The BT audio latency is huge, easily over 100ms as expected for the SBC codec.
I have a BT receiver that converts any 3.5mm headphone into BT, this means I can use the exact same headphone to compare BT with the native switch 3.5mm out. The latency is immediately noticeable, just navigate the home menu with a DPAD and listen to the menu clicks.

But hey, the option is there and that's a good thing. As others have mentioned, Ring Fit is a great use case for BT.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Air Pod Pro seems to be working fairly decent. Very minimal lag, almost not noticeable.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
While nice, support for bluetooth audio driver was actually introduced back around April with the 12.0 firmware update. Bluetooth audio has been working with the switch natively since then through homebrew so it's rather surprising/disappointing that all the same issues that have existed since then seem to be here as well, low volume, incompatibility with certain devices, latency etc.

Here is the github page for the homebrew:

github.com

GitHub - plutooo/nx-btred

Contribute to plutooo/nx-btred development by creating an account on GitHub.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I was able to pair my AirPod Pros but for some reason I cannot get any audio out. Changed the headphone mute/volume settings with no luck. Going on a flight next week and this would be key.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tested on my Oneplus Bullets and it really works great. Very little lag but the connection is quite smooth and never got the weird disconnect that I usually get from the Gulikit (?) Adapter. Audio is quite loud as well, so overall quite satisfied with this update.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Powerbeats Pro paired and no lag playing Streets of Rage 4.

Finally! I've been using a dongle to do this, as I live in year 2021 and do not own any wired headphones.

Yea, it's why I stopped bringing my switch with me on my commute. Was annoying to have to put my wireless buds away, untangle wired headphones, plug them in, then when time to walk break it all down and switch back.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Bluetooth microphones not supported mean you cant use bluetooth headsets to voice chat, right?

oldmess

Oct 18, 2018
I've tested a lot of different BT headphones and speakers on my Vita over the years, and the latency quality always ranged from awful to mediocre.

I'm surprised (to say the least) to find my Switch with very little noticeable lag with the first cheap BT headphones I've tested with it (Mpow H7, for those who are curious). I tried them with Binding of Isaac, Super Mario World and Rocket League - all games I have hundreds of hours of gameplay (and ear memory).

I was one of those who were very skeptical of this feature beforehand, as it's something even Sony left behind 2 generations ago, but at least in my case this seems to be an unexpected winner (whatever the technical approach they might have took here).

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm using some cheapo JBLs i have that and it's not bad! Latency is noticable if I'm looking for it but I just had half a Hades run and once I got into the game it was pretty slick. Bluetooth seems to prefer my phone if both are available... which is probably for the good.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
SBC based, might as well have not bothered. That might be what they are limited to by the current hard ware though I guess.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Link's Awakening has never sounded better than it does now coming thru my beats. Very enjoyable experience.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I was able to pair my AirPod Pros but for some reason I cannot get any audio out. Changed the headphone mute/volume settings with no luck. Going on a flight next week and this would be key.

Update - Tried my Bose QC35's and they paired fine and I could hear sound. I did notice some lag but nothing terrible so far. I'm not sure what the issue is with the AirPod Pros.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My Sony XM3 earbuds are able to connect, but only one of them works correctly.

I got both of them to connect once, but one of them was being spotty.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Jun 26, 2021
But would you feel comfortable playing your Switch in handheld mode knowing that the OLED model is going to have much better quality?

I literally stopped playing my Switch when the OLED was announced. Can't keep playing on a commoner's LCD screen.

Doesn't bother me. It's still 720p. If there was a res bump in addition to the increased color accuracy, sure. But in this case, I don't think the image quality would be that spectacular in either case. As it relates to Nintendo, it's all about the games.

Thinking back to the Vita days, I much preferred the 2000 model over the 1000 despite losing the OLED screen. Unless held side by side, I can't even tell the difference.

with all this being said, I would still take the OLED switch over base model, obviously, but I'm not dropping $350 on that shit.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Afaik there are zero standard bluetooth codecs that support high quality audio when the mic is also enabled. Unless you really like your games in mono phonecall quality.
Yep, audio quality nosedives when you need microphone support. It's awful in smartphones and desktop OSs like Windows, nevermind on something like a Switch.

Holom

Dec 20, 2018
My Pixel Buds A-Series suffer from some pretty heinous latency, unfortunately.

I might try pairing under some different scenarios to see if I can get any improvement, but I'm just going to assume this is how it is. Glad it's working well for some brands, though!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Works fine on my inexpensive MPOW 30 I got from Amazon for my daily use.
Range seems decent as it works several rooms away from my Switch

Ever so slight lag on sound but not very noticable. Tried on Warframe which is pretty fast paced and it was great.
Also tried in a more atmospheric slow paced walking sim and the sound is acceptable. Probably a bit worse than a good pair of wired headphones. Nothing great, but not getting the bad audio quality some people are reporting.