• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Instructions to pair your AirPods on the Switch

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Been trying and haven't been able to get it work thus far

Anyone trying to get Airpods (not pros) to work do this:

1. make sure airpods are in case, open lid, keep it open, HOLD button on back of case until light inside case flashes white

2. Enter Bluetooth pairing screen on Switch - IMPORTANT - don't swap steps 1 and 2

3. Wait at least one FULL minute, keep airpods as close to top of Switch as possible

It will eventually pair.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's a maintain Internet in sleep mode, so now I can kill my battery super quick. Horrah!

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So does the limit of 2 controllers include the two joy-con attached to the Switch?

Just tested and with 2 Joy-con attached to the Switch and I can connect a further 2 Joy-con wirelessly but no more than that, if I try to connect my Pro controller as well it tells me to turn of Bluetooth Audio first.

So if you're using 2 Joy-cons in the Joy-con Grip as one controller you can't connect anymore, but you can connect 2 Pro controllers at once instead.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to using my bone induction earphones with Ring Fit.

I still remember the day I tried to do that, assuming this was a standard feature for a device like the Switch.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying and haven't been able to get it work thus far
I did try out my AirPods Pro and it works perfectly fine.
They are a bit quiet, but so is any other headset on Switch for me.
I can't get my AirPods Pro to show up.
Edit: When your switch is searching for them, you have to have your Airpods in the case and keep pressing the button on the case until it connects.

Last edited:

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually the first of the big 3 to actually support bluetooth audio from non first-party devices, it's a megaton

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Just tested and with 2 Joy-con attached to the Switch and I can connect a further 2 Joy-con wirelessly but no more than that, if I try to connect my Pro controller as well it tells me to turn of Bluetooth Audio first.

So if you're using 2 Joy-cons in the Joy-con Grip as one controller you can't connect anymore, but you can connect 2 Pro controllers at once instead.
Awesome, thanks for testing!

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't use BT Mics, not that it matters since local multiplayer chat doesn't work on Switch anyway.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

1. make sure airpods are in case, open lid, keep it open, HOLD button on back of case until light inside case flashes white

2. Enter Bluetooth pairing screen on Switch - IMPORTANT - don't swap steps 1 and 2

3. Wait at least one FULL minute, keep airpods as close to top of Switch as possible

It will eventually pair.

Thank you that did it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it's insane that it took them 4.5 years to add this functionality.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017

It will eventually pair.
This worked -- thanks!

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit It finally fucking happened

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it's insane that it took them 4.5 years to add this functionality.
Phones and Vita didn't have to share it with a controller bandwidth, and only support a single Bluetooth connection at a time. They weren't going to make it handheld only and it wound up taking 6 of the 8 controller slots for bandwidth

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Phones and Vita didn't have to share it with a controller bandwidth, and only support a single Bluetooth connection at a time. They weren't going to make it handheld only and it wound up taking 6 of the 8 controller slots for bandwidth
Yeah but I mean, they should have at least supported it in portable mode. And on Switch Lite.

Oct 29, 2017
Original AirPods working with this. Has a bit of a background fuzz but it could just be this particular pair. Been a while since I used the old ones. Very low lag from what I can tell

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair you wouldn't think this would be needed unless only one person is using the console. So I feel like they could've allowed it while disabling the other 6 controllers a long time ago, people wouldn't have complained about that.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah but I mean, they should have at least supported it in portable mode. And on Switch Lite.
Switch lite maybe but the problem is handheld and tabletop don't have a practical difference and it'd cause Timmy confusion if he can't use headphones and disconnected controllers at the same time

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo evidently saw Sony decided to do nothing (beyond leak someone else's game) and decided to take Random Tuesday for themselves.

But yeah, I believe this is the first and currently only active console to support arbitrary Bluetooth headsets.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I did try out my AirPods Pro and it works perfectly fine.
They are a bit quiet, but so is any other headset on Switch for me.
Yup! My AirPods Max work great… same max volume issue as with other headphones though. Not bad and completely usable, but I'd prefer louder max volume.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
To be fair you wouldn't think this would be needed unless only one person is using the console. So I feel like they could've allowed it while disabling the other 6 controllers a long time ago, people wouldn't have complained about that.
Because it isn't a switch to turn on and requires careful coding to make it work?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the steelseries with the bluetooth adapter that reall works well, the other solutions I had tried were pretty bad latency wise. Curious how this works with various random oddities.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I just got AirPod Pros 2 weeks ago. Bought a Skull Bluetooth adapter from Amazon after reading that it had the lowest audio latency. It was still bad. I couldn't play Crypt of the Necrodancer with it and everything in Skyward Sword felt sluggish because of it.

I'm happy to report that connecting the AirPod Pros directly after this update is much better! Almost zero latency.

I can't get my AirPods Pro to show up.

Mine are working. Did you open the lid and hold the button on the back after clicking pair device on Switch?

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Tried my Pixel buds and they work fine except for the fact that the audio sounded quiet but I just increased the volume on the buds themselves.

Also, why the fuck no mic support?!

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I paired my AirPods and played a bit of Cotton Reboot. Sounds great!

To pair them, I put them in the case and opened the lid. Then held down the back button on the case until the light flashes white. The Switch recognized it right away.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Airpods? Sick. I wish Sony and Xbox would allow it. Getting sick of the wired experience, so using my airpods for a couple hours would be nice.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
images

Finally. My earphones suck so watch them not work, but there's a chance!