• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of the original 7 has gotten the most consistently good redesigns?

• Liu Kang

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Raiden

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Sonya

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Johnny

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Scorpion

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Sub-Zero

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Kano

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
Mortal Kombat II post

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
SUPER EDIT: Have a poll now that this thread is basically complete: https://strawpoll.com/polls/1Mnwvr1zKy7

EDIT: I forgot to mention, credit goes to L Thammy for providing me advice on thread construction and setting the tone for a good OP.

So here it is. My only first thread. I wasn't expecting it to be this of all things. There have been many discussions about Mortal Kombat online. Talk about the Fatalities, the employee suffering caused by researching for the Fatalities, the lore, the animations, and the years and years of rumors and secrets. The designs of the various kombatants have also been a subject of frequent discussion, occasionally colored by when someone came on board with the franchise. And yet, I feel like it's something we kind of take for granted; the franchise has always featured a colorful assortment of fighters whose designers haven't been afraid to visually retool -- sometimes drastically -- to line up with story developments or just for kicks. And now I will take up the self-inflicted task of providing my personal thoughts on the various journeys the veterans of the Mortal Kombat franchise have gone on in the kostumes department.

I am not an artist and I am not a fashion designer by trade, I'm just a dude who played Deadly Alliance way too young and seemingly got attached to the people of this Power Rangers by way of death metal album world and the fantasy kitchen sink threads they've donned over the years.

We start with the franchise's first sequel.

rcw44oym.png

Mortal Kombat II released less than seven months after the original game proved to be a smash success. As such, the ambition of this game increased rather drastically. More kharacters, more finishing moves, more violence. "Mortal Kombat, but with a bigger budget" seems to have been the meta aesthetic to the game's actual aesthetic. Moving beyond the Enter the Dragon send-up of the inaugural entry, MKII opted to take a more dark fantasy direction, and its newcomer designs (most prominently Baraka) reflect this...but we're not talking about the new guys. We're talking about the old guys, who finally got to have some color added to their designs thanks to this Outworld sorcery technique called "money."

Since there are only really two games to compare for this post, that makes my job formatting easy. Images on the left are from Mortal Kombat; images on the right are from Mortal Kombat II.

This could take a while, so here's some music to set the mood:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkRR7yNemB4

Liu Kang...
lnf7e7gn.gif
zxvk7ix3.gif

Mortal Kombat II's sprites were much brighter than those of its predecessor, and from what I know they were also bigger in general. Midway's team of programmers and artists made the most of the arcade hardware and kharacter design took a more detailed approach. OG Bruce Lee clone Liu Kang certainly benefitted from this new aesthetic splash. Moving away from his simple martial arts pants and shoes, he instead adopted a slightly more bombastic look that would set the tone for all of his subsequent designs. The black and red are just wonderful contrasts and are neat to see on a then-incorruptible video game protagonist as opposed to being strictly reserved for villains, and the headband improves his silhouette ever so slightly. His metal arm bracelets also give his top half a bit more...well, just a bit more. And sometimes that's all you need.

Raiden...
tj69am4h.gif
zhdatm3k.gif

The God of Thunder probably had one of the more striking silhouettes among the playable fighters in the first outing and it's been largely maintained for the sequel. Just as Liu Kang would come to be associated with a recurring support color from the second game onwards, Raiden would take one as well, in this case, blue. I've seen someone refer to the blue overtunic(?) as a bib at the old place and I don't entirely disagree. I welcome the flair added to many of the veterans, though in this case, the splash of color looks a little odd at times. I like Raiden wearing blue and love several of his designs that feature the overtunic with even more extravagant designs, folds, and the like. In this case, however, I think it's the boxiness of the tunic that makes it look like a plain apron. Defenders of the Realm and the arcade games' promotional art admittedly make the design look better, but I think I actually prefer Raiden's less ostentatious white robes from the first game. Amusingly, Raiden's sprite in the second game seems to have widened his hat to obscure his eyes. You'd think they'd want players to see Raiden's eyes more when his depiction transitioned to that of a more benevolent deity in the lore.

Johnny Cage...
kpbxeb85.gif
97i7wsdb.gif

Much like Liu Kang, this is an example of a kharacter taking steps away from their real-world inspiration and gradually taking more of a life of their own. In Johnny's case, his inspiration was a Bloodsport-era Jean-Claude Van Damme, but MKII opted to ditch the MMA shorts and red sash for exercise pants and white shoes with splashes of blue to serve as a contrast. This would effectively be the template for all of Johnny's default designs up through the reboot, and while I think later games would provide better takes on the design, I like the 1993 version as well. I do like that similarly to Kitana's attire they chose a darker shade of blue to set him apart from Sub-Zero.

...Still no sunglasses in the default sprite yet, though.

Scorpion...
366b5gbj.gif
aydtm77e.gif

Yay, I get to be redundant with these guys. The palette swaps probably got the least overt changes between games and were touched up in more subtle ways, probably because they had strong silhouettes and upfront colors to begin with. Scorpion (and by extension Sub-Zero and Reptile) got the expected budget increase glow-up, meaning the quilted pattern on their tunics was more easily noticeable. Some additional padding to their leg areas and new belts, pretty under-the-radar differences. Honestly, the best thing they got as far as I'm concerned is the new masks. They're my favorite of the arcade-era ninja masks, maybe it's because I just love the venting on them, maybe it's because they're the closest thing we got to the awesome movie ninja masks. Overall, the trio just received small but welcome adjustments to their already iconic designs.

Sub-Zero(s)...
awc39q9u.gif
jd4789he.gif
i97orv47.gif

Yeah, I guess we have to deal with this early. You all know the drill, there was Bi-Han in the first game, Kuai Liang in the sequels, and Bi-Han was eventually revealed to have become Noob Saibot. So we're just going to compare all of them right now. Maybe I'll split them up for MK3 and MK9.

Yeah, Bi-Han got his glow-up like Scorpion did and decided to hide it by dumping a bucket of printer ink all over himself. I've got nothing else to say.

Reptile...
dyg4bzuw.gif
xs7j2w58.gif

The original secret fighter finally got promoted to a playable role and celebrated with an idle animation he could actually call his own. And his green tunic became a few shades lighter, which fits with his whole acid-spitting gimmick. That's about all I can say other than that this is the first game where we actually see glimpses of Reptile truly being a reptile underneath the mask. But that's a larger discussion for another time.

Shang Tsung...
ejsrr7dy.gif
2wqjdiyc.gif

And finally, we have the original final boss of the series, now "demoted" to a playable fighter. Keeping in line with the sequel's story as seen in its opening, Shang Tsung has seen his youth restored by his superior Shao Kahn so that he can take a more active role in thwarting the forces of Earthrealm. Alas, I miss the evil kung fu wizard look he sported in the first game. His new kostume is certainly more conducive for maneuverability for the actor and the spriters, but the robes provided a stronger silhouette and I personally preferred the color scheme. Now, Shang Tsung is basically in his corrupted former Mortal Kombat Champion state. He looks like could've been the protagonist of another series or Mortal Kombat in an alternate timeline, which is an interesting conceit I'll admit. The suspenders are also interesting, and I admit I don't know if they have some real-world inspiration relating to Shang Tsung's Chinese background or if that was just Tobias and co. getting creative.

Overall, we have a quite solid set of redesigns for the first sequel. "The first game but with a budget" is surprisingly an effective means by which to retool kharacters' kostumes (no, I will not stop putting "k" in these words). Truthfully, just the wholehearted embrace of color is something that I appreciate. No reason the ninjas have to have all the fun. Liu Kang, Raiden, and Johnny all got what would effectively become their iconic looks just with a bit of tweaking upon their original designs. It should be noted that in my pursuit of deliberately focusing on the veterans, I'm missing the whole of these games' aesthetics. For example, a good portion of the dark fantasy vibe of Mortal Kombat II's aesthetic is notably because of the more eccentric fighters like Shao Kahn, Baraka, and to a slightly lesser extent Mileena. With any luck, I'll actually update this thread and talk about how they changed or didn't change in Mortal Kombat 3 and its updates.

Last edited:

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love threads like this. Thank you for this! Gonna dig in and fully read it now.

Edit: also I wanna randomly mention that for some reason Cage's default colour in the SNES MKII is red. This confused me when I finally played the arcade version when I was a little older and saw Johnny in the blue pants
134473-mortal-kombat-ii-snes-screenshot-after-knocked-off-mileena.png

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fun thread, OP. Commenting so I can read when I have time but from a glance, you should do an updated version with MK3 characters and their redesigns.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I'll never get over just how absolutely, magnificently silly early MK sprites were. Just fucking look at Reptile. Look at that incredible jig. He looks like he's rubbing his stomach. Which... would theoretically make sense, considering. Cool thread, especially as someone who never really got around to playing MK years ago.

... Also, it's bothering the hell out of me - I feel quite strongly that there's a particular name for the sort of tunic Raiden wears and that I've heard it before, but for the life of me I can't recall what it is. Or my mind is playing tricks on me.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I absolutely love threads like this. Thank you for this! Gonna dig in and fully read it now.

Edit: also I wanna randomly mention that for some reason Cage's default colour in the SNES MKII is red. This confused me when I finally played the arcade version when I was a little older and saw Johnny in the blue pants
134473-mortal-kombat-ii-snes-screenshot-after-knocked-off-mileena.png
Thank you. And I didn't know that about Johnny.

MK1 put the series on the map with the shock value, but everything about MK2 is what gave that series a personality
I wouldn't go that far. You could already see hints of the irreverent humor MKII would sort of embrace in Raiden's ending from the first game.

Fun thread, OP. Commenting so I can read when I have time but from a glance, you should do an updated version with MK3 characters and their redesigns.
If all goes according to plan, I will in the near future.

I'll never get over just how absolutely, magnificently silly early MK sprites were. Just fucking look at Reptile. Look at that incredible jig. He looks like he's rubbing his stomach. Which... would theoretically make sense, considering. Cool thread, especially as someone who never really got around to playing MK years ago.

... Also, it's bothering the hell out of me - I feel quite strongly that there's a particular name for the sort of tunic Raiden wears and that I've heard it before, but for the life of me I can't recall what it is. Or my mind is playing tricks on me.
Thank you. And if your mind can remember, can you also ask it to tell you the name of the headwear Shang Tsung has?

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Op those gifs remind me of infinity war when everyone shows up, Mantis from guardians of the galaxy is totally idling whe. She shows up

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
MK2 was peak classic Mortal Kombat character design. It's just a perfect mix between the Enter the Dragon/Bloodsport inspired designs of MK1 and the mystical GI Joe designs of MK3.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
That MK2 Shang Tsung sprite be like

Apr-02-2021-08-29-37.gif

On topic, while I do like the sprites from MK2 a whole lot, my favourite designs for most of these characters are actually in MK4. So I'll contribute when we get to that game!

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
MK1 put the series on the map with the shock value, but everything about MK2 is what gave that series a personality

My friend and I secretly rode our bikes to the mall (which was over a mile out of the boundaries my parents had set for me) for a couple weeks to go play it after school.

Yeah, I find it difficult to put into words how incredible the art and design was in MK2. It's just... perfection.

While familiarity set in decades ago with how much I've played that game, I can still remember like yesterday how insanely and uniquely dark and mysterious it felt for the first few months coming off of MK1. The world/art design is so insanely good they spent around 15 years and at least 6 of the next 7 entries in the series chasing that art style and feeling.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Thank you. And if your mind can remember, can you also ask it to tell you the name of the headwear Shang Tsung has?
It looks like a piece of traditional Chinese headwear to me. The closest thing I can think of at the moment would be a gua pi mao, which is a kind of skull cap. I have an example below, but the hat Shang Tsung's got on is a little more square and lacks ornamentation on the top, I think, so it's either a different but similar piece of headgear or it's just a cheap prop approximation they used.
images

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
For many years I've always thought that Shang Tsung wrapped his hair up in some kind of beehive hairstyle. I just recently realized that it was a little hat.

Oct 25, 2017
Not costume related, but I just want to mention how Raiden's name change to Rayden for the SNES and Genesis versions bugged the fuck out of me when I was younger.
Also I like his MK1 design more, so I was disappointed when I saw him in MK2

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's DJ Reptile

uxkwo.gif

Looking at these gifs, while I do like the MK2 designs better I think they had better stances in MK1. Johnny Cage and Liu Kang stances in particular looked way cooler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I tried standardizing the sizes of the GIFs, but the forum wouldn't recognize my input measurements.

EDIT: It seems like the image heights are standardized now thanks to me toggling the BB code. Thank L Thammy, everyone.

Last edited:

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed now that MK1 Scorpion is a lot more committed to his fighting stance, making MK2 Scorpion's stance look quite half-assed in comparison. MK1 Scorpion really seems eager to crack some skulls, while MK2 Scorpion seems barely able to hold his limply wobbling arm in the air.

"I'm so tired of this shit"

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
am I the only one that thinks the art design & new characters in MK4 are underrated? well except Jarek, he's a bit of a loser

but the original designs of Kai & Reiko were pretty dope imo (hate their Armageddon redesigns), and of course Shinnok, Quan Chi, Fujin and Tanya all got their due in later games.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to say that young Shang Tsung looks like he's a drunk uncle at a wedding and the band is playing Despacito

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: the actor who played MK2 Shang Tsung is a doctor, hence when you beat the game and the cast come out, he's known as Phillip Ahn, MD. He practiced Family Medicine for the needy in Chicago. That's all I remembered.
But on topic, I love how the characters got upgraded looks going from MK1 to 2, and the sprites got more clear and crisp.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
am I the only one that thinks the art design & new characters in MK4 are underrated? well except Jarek, he's a bit of a loser

but the original designs of Kai & Reiko were pretty dope imo (hate their Armageddon redesigns), and of course Shinnok, Quan Chi, Fujin and Tanya all got their due in later games.
Not to completely spoil my thoughts on that game's aesthetic (gosh, it'd be nice to get that far), but yes I also enjoy MK4's art direction a fair deal. It's the last time we got the dark fantasy look in a mainline game (as directed by John Tobias-era Midway).

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed now that MK1 Scorpion is a lot more committed to his fighting stance, making MK2 Scorpion's stance look quite half-assed in comparison. MK1 Scorpion really seems eager to crack some skulls, while MK2 Scorpion seems barely able to hold his limply wobbling arm in the air.
Also the fact that his right arm is supposed to represent a scorpion's tail. The MK2 stance just doesn't work

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

MK2 Scorpion is a big Arsenio Hall fan.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I always hated MK2 Raiden look vs the first game, such a step back from looking like a complete badass.

Sonyas' sweatin to the 80's look was pretty bad in the first game as well.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Cool thread, OP. I hope you go through at least the pre-PS2 games. It's interesting to see how the characters were evolving through various games - what changed and what remained in their design. For example I haven't noticed before that Scorpion and Sub-Zero retained (more or less) their stances between MK1 and MK2. Such a cool little detail.

It's funny how at least Tanya and Reiko were afterthoughts (Jarek probably too given he is basically an alt costume for Kano) since at first they were just Kitana and Noob Saibot, but the team decided that there're too few new characters in the game so they were replaced. That's why MK4 Noob Saibot (the secret character) has moves and Fatalities similar (identical?) to Reiko's and why Reiko in MK4 is such a non-character (his original arcade ending is basically him going through a portal and dissapearing).

Nov 27, 2017
Cool thread! I much preferred the MKI versions of Raiden and Cage. I think the MKII ninjas are my favorites from all the games though.

The only thing that blew my mind a little was that MKII was only 7 months after the first game? It seemed like much longer than that as a kid.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I honestly just assumed MKII released in October like the first game, but Wikipedia says it released in June of '93.

And I should be starting work on gathering the images for the MK3 portion of this thread. I'll likely just be covering the revisions in one go, with a possible addendum to address returning fighters who didn't get a change of designs (like Baraka. He just can't catch a break, can he?).

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
It's cool to see the versions side by side. Beats some random "What's better, hot dogs or the Sega Genesis?" poll thread.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
There's no way MK II was actually out in June of 1993. MAYBE super early loc tests in Chicago but I am skeptical of that. MK II arcade is the cover story of EGM #54 and that's the January 1994 issue and that article is a first look at the game and is clearly covering an extremely old revision. I think that date in the wiki is incorrect.

I prefer every design in MK II except Shang. Old man Shang is awesome. I LOVED the twist that he became playable and young, but IMO peak Shang will always be him floating.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that this is the GOAT Reptile design

t0gclzje2f521.jpg

Of the few redeeming qualities in Mortal Kombat Armageddon carrying this design forward was peak.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Shang Tsung's MK1 sprite always looked like he was floating instead of walking. Also it bothered the shit out of me that the SNES versions of MK 2 and 3 had the names outside the life bars. I wish I knew how to alter Roms in order to fix that lol.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if modern ssds can give us Shang tsung morphing characters on current consoles.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Cool thread! I much preferred the MKI versions of Raiden and Cage. I think the MKII ninjas are my favorites from all the games though.

The only thing that blew my mind a little was that MKII was only 7 months after the first game? It seemed like much longer than that as a kid.
There's no way MK II was actually out in June of 1993. MAYBE super early loc tests in Chicago but I am skeptical of that. MK II arcade is the cover story of EGM #54 and that's the January 1994 issue and that article is a first look at the game and is clearly covering an extremely old revision. I think that date in the wiki is incorrect.

I prefer every design in MK II except Shang. Old man Shang is awesome. I LOVED the twist that he became playable and young, but IMO peak Shang will always be him floating.
The "release" of the game as Wikipedia calls it was a super limited release in only specific places while they were still working on it. There was a little arcade at a mall just north of Chicago that got one of the early releases with a lot of stuff not working or working differently (midair moves were common). Boon and Tobias happened to be there one time when I was there and were casually chatting people up about it (and had the operator set it to free play for a while, too). I didn't see it anywhere else until early 94.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
The "release" of the game as Wikipedia calls it was a super limited release in only specific places while they were still working on it. There was a little arcade at a mall just north of Chicago that got one of the early releases with a lot of stuff not working or working differently (midair moves were common). Boon and Tobias happened to be there one time when I was there and were casually chatting people up about it (and had the operator set it to free play for a while, too). I didn't see it anywhere else until early 94.

Dang, just reading this made me realize the home versions were probably completed in, like, 6-7 months.

That is insane.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Great thread! I know this is about returning characters from MK1, but I wanted to say Kintaro was legit scary in MK2 (at least to 8 year old me), a huge upgrade from Goro in MK1 but always looks really lame in every other game he has appeared on, contrary to Goro who has really cool designs in the modern games.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL

right, but even for a loc test that sounds too early. I'd find September or something more believable. Like, they were still updating MK1 in early 1993. The final revision of that wasn't out until March.

it doesn't really matter, but now I'm super curious lol. I've been looking on the internet and can't find anything yet. Tried finding old Usenet posts but couldn't dig up any.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I liked MK1 Raiden outfit better, but I like how MK2 hat obscured his face more.

This is why I like kung Laos MK2 look too. Looked dark and mysterious.

Kintaro looked awesome as well

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
right, but even for a loc test that sounds too early. I'd find September or something more believable. Like, they were still updating MK1 in early 1993. The final revision of that wasn't out until March.

it doesn't really matter, but now I'm super curious lol. I've been looking on the internet and can't find anything yet. Tried finding old Usenet posts but couldn't dig up any.
For sure. I didn't see the version I played until maybe October I think, and it felt clearly unfinished. But the version numbers they used were funky.

Dang, just reading this made me realize the home versions were probably completed in, like, 6-7 months.

That is insane.
I've no doubt the ports were already being worked on while the arcade was still being updated.