Status
Not open for further replies.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Run with the Wind 9

Having a cast where most of the members aren't living and breathing for the sport makes achievements and tangible improvements hit harder, at least in this particular case.

Also, Haiji is getting more interesting by the minute. That brief flashback scene showing him during the recovery of his old injury really kinda explains his outlook on the whole endeavor and why he is the way he is.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sakugan 12 END?
That was a solid ending to the season with enough teases about the larger world and this ongoing conflict that I hope we get a second season. The stuff between Memempu and Gagamba was great and the right level of emotional, the nod to the role of the Princesses was nice, and the overall tone was just great.

The big issue I think I have right now is what is actually going on with Shibito and their whole ideals business. It would have been great to get more actual info as they are central to the story, but the breadcrumbs just aren't enough. Why they are fighting the bureau, hunting down these Rainbow Children, and how all these old technologies play into it needed a bit more fleshing out.

Here's hoping for a S2, as I found this entertaining, even if it felt all over the place in the first season

Platinum End 12
Another strong episode, though Mirai totally should just use his White Arrow. He was almost there when deciding between the happiness of millions vs the life of one person...but I guess he's chosen his path. It does at least make him seem more god-like in the face of everything. Looks like next week is the end of the anime...

Also, I'm sure the scene where Hajime melts is far more graphic in the manga. What a horrid way to go, even if he was a fairly shit character.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
P.S. Those episodes and the Hanajima flashback were the best episodes of season 1 as far as I am concerned.

yeah just watched the Hanajima episode. As far as I'm concerned the friends are the best part of this show, the zodiac family stuff is sorta meh by comparison. not really sure why - i thought it was the unrelatability of the supernatural stuff, but a lot of Hanajima's stuff is based around her basically being psychic, so idk

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
The Night Beyond The Tricornered Window (dropped at episode 1)
This is what it looks like when nobody involved in a production gives a damn.

So I think the issue is not the production but the fact that they decided to adapt all of it in 12 episodes. It actually ended up being pretty interesting thematically, but it is clear the production is a shoestring. Having said that the first few episodes have some problematic stuff that is only addressed later :D. I still would not recommend it over just reading the source material, but at least I can say it is not just some shitty BL.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Run with the Wind 8

Kurahara doesn't merely look like Kageyama.

He is straight up Kageyama.

Also, Haiji rocks.

Kakeru is so much better than Kageyama. (is what I tell myself)

Run with the Wind 9

Having a cast where most of the members aren't living and breathing for the sport makes achievements and tangible improvements hit harder, at least in this particular case.

Also, Haiji is getting more interesting by the minute. That brief flashback scene showing him during the recovery of his old injury really kinda explains his outlook on the whole endeavor and why he is the way he is.

Believe me the payoff at the end of this show makes it all hit like a truck. Almost a religious experience for me.

Haiji is so good, he's probably my favorite anime character in years. like hot damn does he knows what it means to have PURPOSE.

As others have mentioned the OST is incredible and probably the best work the composer has done in my book.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Komi 10
Goddammit is Komi just great. That ending scene was just pure bliss. The episode as a whole was hilarious and insanely heart-warming. I, too, am rooting for you Komi.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Ranking of Kings 11
Quite a deal of setup for the next episode, but it seems like all the players are finally coming together. I wonder if Bosse is planning on saving the real Miranjo (if that is her) or whatever the deal really is with that whole section with Daida.

Whatever happens, looking forward to how things play out in the next few weeks.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Ranking of Kings 11
I thought I had a fair idea what where things were heading but this has thrown a spanner in the works. Miranjo is quite the interesting character. I have a mighty need to know what happens next.

Kimi Ni Todoke S2 8
aDxq2MK_460swp.webp

*Literally hug and almost kiss after she confesses*
This dumb bitch: "Oh no, he rejected me again"

I feel nothing. I am numb

Kimi Ni Todoke S2 11, 12 END
7e1e4a85-1e43-43b1-9824-5ef2c1b5296d_text.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Komi No Communication END

Oh man, that was the best one! Her voice at the end was so heaven. Look forward get to see the S2 next year! 10/10

Last edited:

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018

Wait what? Is this an out of season April fools? (They have been counting down for like 7 days for an announcement).

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Kimi Ni Todoke S2 6
Brb, going to time travel to the past and kick someone in the shins that told me this was better than Furuba.

Imagine being this stupid in real life. Not even actual highschool was this pathetic. God, I hate anime.

Is it better than Kimi Ni Todoke?
Ranking of Kings 11
I thought I had a fair idea what where things were heading but this has thrown a spanner in the works. Miranjo is quite the interesting character. I have a mighty need to know what happens next.

Kimi Ni Todoke S2 8
aDxq2MK_460swp.webp

*Literally hug and almost kiss after she confesses*
This dumb bitch: "Oh no, he rejected me again"

I feel nothing. I am numb

Kimi Ni Todoke S2 11, 12 END
7e1e4a85-1e43-43b1-9824-5ef2c1b5296d_text.gif

So uhhh... should I bother with KnT? People did warn that season 2 is kinda weak, I guess.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Kimi ni Todoke is quite possibly the epitome of shoujo romance pacing. I still think fondly of the first season because it was a well animated shoujo romance adaptation, and those are so rare.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
For what it's worth, I really liked Kimi no Todoke. It's very sweet and I found it comforting.

However, it does reach Twin Peaks levels of season 2 rubbish though. The end of season 2 is still quite nice, but man what a slog to get there. (Thanks for adding some context on how it ended up that way pbayne, I had no idea)
Now I want to know why they tried to adapt this accurately for the anime, surely they could've just skipped it or something, it really does drag the whole series down.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Perhaps I should watch season 1 and then switch to manga.

Even if that stretch of material has the same pacing in the source material, it will be much more expedient to read it, rather than watch it.

Run with the Wind 10

Still a long way to go, but Kurahara be like:

T3MCnOe.png

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, I really liked Kimi no Todoke. It's very sweet and I found it comforting.

However, it does reach Twin Peaks levels of season 2 rubbish though. The end of season 2 is still quite nice, but man what a slog to get there. (Thanks for adding some context on how it ended up that way pbayne, I had no idea)
Now I want to know why they tried to adapt this accurately for the anime, surely they could've just skipped it or something, it really does drag the whole series down.

Its a good question why they didnt try to condense it a bit. I think maybe it was too popular at the time and they didnt want fans to cry foul at any slight change, like i know fruits basket original anime gets a bit of stick for changing things. Also the characters they introduce like Kento go on to be far more important too, whereas in that arc he just feels like a last minute love rival, so you're only really seeing the start of some arcs there. So a lot of stuff is too integral for other stuff in the manga moving forward so its hard to really cut any of it.

I think character wise it makes more sense than people give it credit for. Like only a few months previous Sawako had zero friends and basically no communication with people her age. So she understnadly gets a bit scared to open up about her feelings. Its also the result of two people putting each other on too high a pedestal. Like Sawako thinks that Kazehaya is too good for her, but he thinks the exact same. Like if you imagine yourself in Kazehayas shoes after all the time they spent together, the girl you have a crush on suddenly becomes distant and starts giving you mixed messages and starts hanging out with another guy, he would start to wonder that maybe she not as into him as he thought. (Later on they do show Kazehaya's perspective during that time, so it makes more sense why he acts the way he does too.)

As i said before that i think the author knew it had gotten too deep with the miscommunication(even if that is a core theme of the manga) so Kazehaya and Sawako basically just explain to one another face to face every misunderstanding they had about one another shortly after the events of season 2. And they go on to be a couple for the rest of the manga after that. Lol it is funny that Knt is described as sloujo but i honestly think thats the only part where the manga drags its heels, its pretty well paced apart from that and Kazehaya and Sawako they spend more time as a couple than they do not as one.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Something to remember that the actual official announcement for the Odd Taxi countdown is today! We don't actually know yet if it's a new movie with new content or just a recap movie with a bit of new content here and there. The former would be really cool but again, we'll find out soon.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Believe me the payoff at the end of this show makes it all hit like a truck. Almost a religious experience for me.

Haiji is so good, he's probably my favorite anime character in years. like hot damn does he knows what it means to have PURPOSE.

As others have mentioned the OST is incredible and probably the best work the composer has done in my book.

9c174d1f-6e34-4c7f-9e7e-e5048723e5c7-gif.792521

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
In other news The JJK prequel movie is unsurprisingly doing gang busters at the JP box office:

animegalaxyofficial.com

'Jujutsu Kaisen 0' Grossed Over 1 Billion Yen To Become Highest Opening Anime Movie In 2021

Jujutsu Kaisen 0 has become the highest opening anime movie in 2021 with an estimated box-office collection of 1 billion yen on its first day

And the ticket sales numbers of the film is staggering as Jujutsu Kaisen 0 grossed over 1 billion yen (US $8.74 million) on the opening day of the theatrical release. With over 1 million attendees Jujutsu Kaisen 0 is now the second-highest-grossing anime movie on the first day. The top spot is taken by the "Demon Slayer: Mugen Train" that earned a total of 1.2 billion yen on its opening day in 2020.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Link Click 6-7
Good lord was the first part of this painful in so many ways. The mom's mental break, the dad holding on to hope he'd find his son and breaking down, Qiao holding that guilt for so long...but ending with Cheng potentially fucking things hard. But that second half, I kid you know I broke down in tears of joy seeing them being reunited at the end.

So absolutely goddamn powerful. I am not ready for the next batch of episodes...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
In other news The JJK prequel movie is unsurprisingly doing gang busters at the JP box office:

animegalaxyofficial.com

'Jujutsu Kaisen 0' Grossed Over 1 Billion Yen To Become Highest Opening Anime Movie In 2021

Jujutsu Kaisen 0 has become the highest opening anime movie in 2021 with an estimated box-office collection of 1 billion yen on its first day

Not surprising with how popular the series is and the fact it doesn't have a ton of competition till Spidey comes out in January.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Link Click 8-9
After one hell of a transitional episode, I was just hit with the absolute WTF moment of the year, with everything making sense and the whole goddamn thing staring me right in the face the entire time. FUCK.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Kakeru is so much better than Kageyama. (is what I tell myself)

Sometimes, when I'm watching an anime and there is a character voiced by Tosh, I like to close my eyes to pretend Haiji is talking.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Link Click 11 END
You can't just end the season like that. It's not right. It's not fair. I NEED to know what happens next. GAH
This is probably the most tightly directed anime I've seen in a long time. The pacing, the structure, and beats, everything works in concert together to make something truly amazing. All the emotional beats hit hard, the characters are endearing from the start, and the through line build tension expertly. I would say the only negative I have is this story is far from over with the "reveal" of the killer.

This is easily in my top 3 of the year and one of the best I've ever seen in general. What an absolutely amazing ride and I definitely need and look forward to more.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the Chimera Ant arc of HxH and I'm curious how the Dark Continent arc in the manga compares to it? I know it's unfinished but so far at least, opinions?

Really like this show.

I know the creator has been struggling with his mental health, and I'll happily wait as long as it takes for him, but I'm curious how the next arc is as this one was one of the best I've seen and the show has such a great build up to this point.

No spoilers please, just impressions. If this is more suited to the manga thread let me know and I'll ask there..

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Oh you sweet summer child, you do not yet know true depth of despair. Please let us know when you finish and I am sure we can talk through it :D.

I just finished it, those last few episodes were a trip. Still got a lot of questions, and it 'feels' like the final arc didn't even end? Confused on that front, but I do love the overall message of the final episode. Very touching!

#Congraulations! 👏 👏 👏

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I just finished it, those last few episodes were a trip. Still got a lot of questions, and it 'feels' like the final arc didn't even end? Confused on that front, but I do love the overall message of the final episode. Very touching!

#Congraulations! 👏 👏 👏

I personally like the ending of the show over End of Evangelion's , but you should watch it to make your mind up :D.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the Chimera Ant arc of HxH and I'm curious how the Dark Continent arc in the manga compares to it? I know it's unfinished but so far at least, opinions?

Nowhere near as good at this point in time, it's suffering from a lot of character bloat and is probably his most "wordy" arc yet. But the Chimera Ant arc has garnered so much eternal goodwill from me that on the extremely, extremely low chance the arc is ever completed (No seriously, it'll take a miracle for the arc to be completed unless Togashi lets someone else draw or something) my opinion could change after a full reread. One thing I'll admit is that the pieces are there for the arc to become much more interesting.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
They haven't even gotten to the Dark Continent yet
i had to take a break reading this, don't recall a more complicated arc in Shonen than this one lol

jojo part 6 part 1 done this was very tense and fun love me some jojo

and selection Project 12 this was a weaker plot than idoly Pride but made up with everything else the CGI and music were so damn good

Status
Not open for further replies.