• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Run with the Wind 20

On one hand, one could say that sudden flu/fever is way too convenient of a plot device to create drama.

On the other hand, it just works.

Boy does it fucking work. Something about the way it was executed hit me right in the feels and I actually shed some tears.

Probably helps that it involved such a likable character.

Last edited:

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Faraway Paladin 11
That took quite a turn for the worse and it seems like Will is taking some of the wrong lessons away from his fight mixed with the negative impact of using Overeater so much in such a short amount of time.

86 21
The wait for the next two episodes is gonna be a long one after how things went this episode. Seems like all the 86 at this point are dead? I was kind of spoiled on Shin's connection to Kiri, but am unsure on how they could be a part of the same family. Maybe that gets explained next time as him and his brother being refugees before the formation of the 86, but need either some sort of timeline or something to flesh things out. I will say, that scene right before Kiri dies was great, considering the reveal of their connection.

Lena is also back? I'm still sticking with my original theory on what's going on there, but the extra help definitely came from her considering where they are and the kinds of attacks and some of the voice chatter picked up during the fight.

With all that, I am curious how things will wrap in the next two episode. I expect some stuff to get cleared up, but not sure of where things could and will go from here.

Oct 25, 2017
finally could catch up on some collectors editions
a97734eb361e82fb55da178814473f0e39a47668.jpg

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Digimon Ghost Game 12
Wenzengammamon is less lame than I expected. My son Angoramon still the only one that hasn't evolved, what is going on?

They're getting through the "title sequence" evolutions a lot quicker than I expected, so I imagine Angoramon's time will be very soon. Gotta move onto the Ultimates sooner or later!

Fun episode too - the chain email thing being dismissed coz it's such an old-fashioned thing at this point cracked me up.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Faraway Paladin 11
That took quite a turn for the worse and it seems like Will is taking some of the wrong lessons away from his fight mixed with the negative impact of using Overeater so much in such a short amount of time.

86 21
The wait for the next two episodes is gonna be a long one after how things went this episode. Seems like all the 86 at this point are dead? I was kind of spoiled on Shin's connection to Kiri, but am unsure on how they could be a part of the same family. Maybe that gets explained next time as him and his brother being refugees before the formation of the 86, but need either some sort of timeline or something to flesh things out. I will say, that scene right before Kiri dies was great, considering the reveal of their connection.

Lena is also back? I'm still sticking with my original theory on what's going on there, but the extra help definitely came from her considering where they are and the kinds of attacks and some of the voice chatter picked up during the fight.

With all that, I am curious how things will wrap in the next two episode. I expect some stuff to get cleared up, but not sure of where things could and will go from here.
86 stuff
they are from the same clan, not necessarily the same family

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Run with the Wind 21-23

SHARPEST

UNDER

HEAVEN

This is the best fucking sports anime since Ping Pong. If something better has been released in that timeframe, I'm simply not aware of it. The only thing that can compete for me is the fantastic Megalobox Nomad, but I don't even count that as an actual sports anime, at least not a pure one.

This series kept getting better and better as it went along, culminating in a wonderful final set of episodes. The entirety of Hakone Ekiden "arc" is low-key a triumph as far as I am concerned. Every member of this track team is a fantastic character (Haiji chief among them). My only complaint, if you can even call it that (it ain't really) is that some of that characterization came in last minute (talking about the twins here) within the arc. The drama was on point, emotional catharsis was palpable. Loved it!

Also I'm not misinterpreting anything here, right?
Kurahara is in love with Haiji, right?

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Faraway Paladin 11

86 21

on 86 stuff since some of this was glossed over from the light novel series
Shin and Kiri are both part of the Nouzen clan which was imperial nobility. Shin's parents were actually both imperial nobles, but they were from two different races of imperial nobility (onyx and pyrope). Because in the world of 86 race is tied to psychic powers with the sub races of nobility each being tied to a specific power and purity determines the likelihood of the powers emerging (but mixing can create new powers like Shin's and Frederica's) racial mixing is looked down upon in the nobility (the imperial family was an exception but was probably even more tightly controlled to maintain their unique powers) so shin's parents defected to the republic where they had Shin and his brother. On a related note the Alba in the republic also had a noble lineage/subrace called the Celena but after they became a republic the nobility got super diluted to the point where they barely exist (though they do still exist with Lena in particular having been explicitly noted to be a pureblood Celena) which means the Alba psychics pretty much don't exist anymore

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Run with the Wind 21-23

SHARPEST

UNDER

HEAVEN

This is the best fucking sports anime since Ping Pong. If something better has been released in that timeframe, I'm simply not aware of it. The only thing that can compete for me is the fantastic Megalobox Nomad, but I don't even count that as an actual sports anime, at least not a pure one.

This series kept getting better and better as it went along, culminating in a wonderful final set of episodes. The entirety of Hakone Ekiden "arc" is low-key a triumph as far as I am concerned. Every member of this track team is a fantastic character (Haiji chief among them). My only complaint, if you can even call it that (it ain't really) is that some of that characterization came in last minute (talking about the twins here) within the arc. The drama was on point, emotional catharsis was palpable. Loved it!

I certainly can't think of a better show. The show just has an inmaculate backbone in its cast. Each character has a different reason for running, a different perspective on what it means to them through their life lenses. The usual trapping of anime sports is to equate the success in the sport with the characters motivation; RwtW instead casts the sport as a metaphor for their own obstacles. it becomes a mirror each one if them has to face. That to me is it's biggest triumph, presenting a cast of characters with a mirror, ultimately means that we as an audience must do the same.

Haiji is by far the purest of them all, he truly is about the sport, but seeing him wrestle with the end of that journey and seeing how that leaves him undaunted is incredible.

For me after the episode where Haiji asks Kakeru if he's single and equates him to the moon, it's practically clear that they like each other. The ending imagery is also doing overtime there.

Anyway, modern masterpiece and I'm still mad we only voted it to be #10 in 2019.

But alas!

The Mountains of Hakonne are.....!!!

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
So. What are your thoughts?

One of my favorite animated film experiences. The scene with Asuka desperately fighting the MP Eva series is my favorite scene in the entire series. Shocking, emotional, brutal, and powerful... Looking back I think the series could've used more action oriented scenes like that, was a thrill to watch a mecha scene done like that.

A few questions:

1. At the end with Shinji and Asuka. Was he choking her because he didn't know if they were "still" in Instrumentality?
ckAbUuB.gif

2. Also was Gendo's end goal just to reunite with Yui, while SEELE just wanted to "evolve" humanity?

3. Are the next movies worth watching or nah?

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
One of my favorite animated film experiences. The scene with Asuka desperately fighting the MP Eva series is my favorite scene in the entire series. Shocking, emotional, brutal, and powerful... Looking back I think the series could've used more action oriented scenes like that, was a thrill to watch a mecha scene done like that.

A few questions:

1. At the end with Shinji and Asuka. Was he choking her because he didn't know if they were "still" in Instrumentality?
ckAbUuB.gif

2. Also was Gendo's end goal just to reunite with Yui, while SEELE just wanted to "evolve" humanity?

1) I interpreted it as him doing that. Trying to make sure that she is alive and that they can feel anything. The whole conceit of the hedgehog dilemma is the closet we are the more we hurt each other, and he chooses to inflict pain on her to ensure that hes alive. She responds with pity, understandably.

2) Yes, Gendo wants to use it to reunite with Yui. Seele just wants the soup of instrumentality.

3) Its a story that comes back to Eva metatextual and meta-thematically. It works best with a strong attachment to the plight of these characters. The movies implicitly assume you understand that coming in.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017

A few questions:

ckAbUuB.gif

I still really love this ending. But I love what the new movies does for the kids, especially Shinji.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Huge guy and tiny woman work together episodde 12

I really thought this show was going to be horrible, but it turned out to be heartwarming. It's funny that the last line of the series is the-sort of-title of the series.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huge guy and tiny woman work together episodde 12

I really thought this show was going to be horrible, but it turned out to be heartwarming. It's funny that the last line of the series is the-sort of-title of the series.

you are a strong person for getting through that. Not even I could make it and I am hyped for Arifureta Season 2

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Betterman - series
Pretty wild trippy and dark stuff(I mean it is based in a certain family of horror). Crazy to think this is the same world as GaoGaiGar. Kinda glad GGG Vs Betterman is in SRW30 so I can find out the fates of certain characters (poor Sakura. Her being the bosses daughter was a fun twist)

you are a strong person for getting through that. Not even I could make it and I am hyped for Arifureta Season 2
I look forward to that as well high five

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Beastars s2 8
Back to season 2, remember liking it before I stopped. More strangely cosy stuff with the girls this episode. Sheila making friends with a sheep and Juno hanging out with Haru. That dream of Haru and Louis was really sweet. Legosi's still in the middle of a training arc and Louis' watching a caiman lose his testicles. Sounds about right for this show.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also watching Beastars S2 but I think I may drop the show if/when I finish this season. Just not liking it as much as I liked S1. Is Haru a side character going forward? I'm quite disappointed in her complete lack of agency and appearance this season, it's very strange for what, I thought, was supposed to be the main female character. Legoshi being all "oh I must get strong and protect Haru" when she's barely even there… it's weird. Reading some impressions of the manga going forward and the ending being bad doesn't inspire confidence, unless they drastically change the anime.

Also, totally random and probably not the place to ask, but will there ever be a season 3 of March Comes in like a Lion? That was truly an incredible show, the bullying arc was amazing.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm also watching Beastars S2 but I think I may drop the show if/when I finish this season. Just not liking it as much as I liked S1. Is Haru a side character going forward? I'm quite disappointed in her complete lack of agency and appearance this season, it's very strange for what, I thought, was supposed to be the main female character. Legoshi being all "oh I must get strong and protect Haru" when she's barely even there… it's weird. Reading some impressions of the manga going forward and the ending being bad doesn't inspire confidence, unless they drastically change the anime.

Also, totally random and probably not the place to ask, but will there ever be a season 3 of March Comes in like a Lion? That was truly an incredible show, the bullying arc was amazing.
Yeah I'm not liking the lack of Haru. She was a highlight last season. Cutting her out and making it the Legosi/Louis show is idk... It's not what I wanted. Still I can't say I'm actually disliking anything so far. It could just be better if Haru was more involved.

Say for instance, I just watched episode 9. Panda man says Legosi needs someone to rely on during the hunt for Tem's killer. My brain immediately goes "Haru". But apparently Legosi thinks Louis. And yeah, I guess that works too, but there's so many opportunities for Haru to be involved this season and it's just not happening.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm not liking the lack of Haru. She was a highlight last season. Cutting her out and making it the Legosi/Louis show is idk... It's not what I wanted. Still I can't say I'm actually disliking anything so far. It could just be better if Haru was more involved.

Say for instance, I just watched episode 9. Panda man says Legosi needs someone to rely on during the hunt for Tem's killer. My brain immediately goes "Haru". But apparently Legosi thinks Louis. And yeah, I guess that works too, but there's so many opportunities for Haru to be involved this season and it's just not happening.

Honestly if you told me this was a love story between Legoshi and Louis I would believe it. Their scenes are so sexually tense and charged, it's crazy.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Beastars s2 10
Haru confessing her love to Legosi feels a little random since they've barely been together this season and when they were it's always really awkward. This show is going to make a furry out of me with these shirtless fight scenes 😂

Honestly if you told me this was a love story between Legoshi and Louis I would believe it. Their scenes are so sexually tense and charged, it's crazy.
This is very true. The Juno and Haru scene definitely had some tension in it too

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

I'll be curious how you feel at the end of the season as...
Beastars season 2's last episode would likely take the spot of biggest disappointment of 2021 if I was making a list

as for march, it's hard to say. As far as I know while well regarded it didn't light up the sales charts for shaft so they likely would prefer to continue to peddle the other garbage they are making instead. Beyond that the next story arc takes a long time to resolve to the point that you would likely want to adapt most of it in one go with like 3 13 episode seasons just with season breaks between (aka 3 cours over 5) so there isn't too much of a break, but it wouldn't leave much of the manga left after that.

I'll also be curious on how you feel at the end of the season :P

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
For Beastars S2, I've been following the english manga release, so without the stopping point and have it continue, I thought S2 was fine (including the ending). The anime seemed a tad rushed though, but that's about it. I the genre does... flip a bit going into S3/the final season (which I hope will be long enough and not sure why they are doing a singular season with soooo many volumes left!) The journey with carnivores/herbivores explores some interesting stuff.

Sounds like a lot of people haaaaated the manga as it went on, but every volume I go thru (just finished vol 15 today, which is where the english version is at) I read it soooo fast and anficipate the next, so it always holds my interest! I guess it depends what you really want out of it.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Beastars s2 12 END
Well that was certainly an ending. what level of gay is it when you eat your not!boyfriend's leg to bulk up and fight another dude?

Haru, my girl, I'm sorry. They relegated you to a closing shot and made you sound like a bitch to Legosi. You didn't even get to kiss your man.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
i dropped off beaststars S2 this year i'm like half way through while i liked some moments something wasn't clicking and i just fell off of it been debating on going back to it as a pick up some backlog shows /movies for the new years

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
For Beastars S2, I've been following the english manga release, so without the stopping point and have it continue, I thought S2 was fine (including the ending). The anime seemed a tad rushed though, but that's about it. I the genre does... flip a bit going into S3/the final season (which I hope will be long enough and not sure why they are doing a singular season with soooo many volumes left!) The journey with carnivores/herbivores explores some interesting stuff.

Sounds like a lot of people haaaaated the manga as it went on, but every volume I go thru (just finished vol 15 today, which is where the english version is at) I read it soooo fast and anficipate the next, so it always holds my interest! I guess it depends what you really want out of it.
The ending is fine if you strictly look at it as the end of Louis arc, but unfortunately for the purpose of Legoshi's character arc in season 2 it completely undermines basically every action he took for the entire season and makes basically everything he did completely and utterly pointless. Let's not get the cops involved, let's find a better way than eating meat, let me find my calm..... louis "EAT MY FUCKING LEG!!!!!" Legoshi... "Kay" and then gets arrested. You can make arguments that his idealism caused more problems and what not, but the snake character, his motivations and what not are all completely pointless with that ending and it's just not satisfying in any way. It very much feels like they forgot they had two character arcs to finish and just finished Louis's in the way they wanted even if it meant throwing Legoshi's character arc away as there was indeed real meaning for louis to have legoshi eat his leg, but boy does it just undermine everything legoshi stands for in season 2. Plus that entire ending just felt silly, but I've heard that they cut a lot from the manga there and that the pacing was a lot better in the manga with far better pause points with chapter ends.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I thought S2 was fine (including the ending). The anime seemed a tad rushed though, but that's about it. I the genre does... flip a bit going into S3/the final season
...Again? S2 already did this, basically turned into a Yakuza story for the most part, way different than the 1st season.

Thought that S3 would return more to S1 ....so this is interesting to hear

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I haven't been into anything lately so just rewatching Jujutsu Kaisen now. I'm still wondering if I put it on my AotY list when voting begins, I told myself last year I would. I probably will, show is still great.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been into anything lately so just rewatching Jujutsu Kaisen now. I'm still wondering if I put it on my AotY list when voting begins, I told myself last year I would. I probably will, show is still great.

Goes to show how fucked up the Corona situation is when I didn't even realize that Jujutsu Kaisens second half was this year too.

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017
As a big manga/manhua/manhwa reader, seeing them getting animated get's me really pumped.
Also that Bleach trailer has my nostalgia levels reaching climax, the music is just to good.

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
ckAbUuB.gif
I'm partial to zlink64's "Hegelian interpretation" as a plausible answer to your question, when you consider possible such a sudden, raw situational assessment of those regained conscious boundaries between persons that Shinji needs to experience again, given the traumatic beginning of a new post-Instrumentality (HIP) reality.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hunh that thread reminded me I still need to watch my copy of visions of Escaflowne and I have a physical copy with both English dubs so I also have to choose which version

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It will be in mine.

Ranking of kings is in the same boat as it was last year where I won't vote on a show that starts in fall and doesn't finish before the year is up, so Ranking of kings won't be in my list this year but next year.

I still need to watch more shows but right now juju, Link Click and Shadow's House are likely making up my top 3 in some order.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Beastars S2 1
I feel like I barely remember anything from the end of season 1, but there were enough hints to get through this first episode and remember how most things shook out. Nice to see things going back to what started the series, the murder of Tem, though I feel this episode didn't carry as much weight when compared to how I felt during the course of season 1.

OP is good, but I've heard it several times before. Not a fan of the Netflix name Rouis for Louis. It would have also been nice to have a recap video or something because it does feel like it's been absolutely forever ago since S1 aired.

Episode 2
Very nice progression here for Legoshi and not a suprising, but interesting development for Louis. Also, I fucking hate Netflix, but I didn't realize until episode 2, they also translate Haru to HAL. FUCKING HAL.

It's sad how much Netflix spends on producing or licensing these shows, then spend pennies on their translations. Who signed off on HAL and ROUIS? jfc
on 86 stuff since some of this was glossed over from the light novel series
Shin and Kiri are both part of the Nouzen clan which was imperial nobility. Shin's parents were actually both imperial nobles, but they were from two different races of imperial nobility (onyx and pyrope). Because in the world of 86 race is tied to psychic powers with the sub races of nobility each being tied to a specific power and purity determines the likelihood of the powers emerging (but mixing can create new powers like Shin's and Frederica's) racial mixing is looked down upon in the nobility (the imperial family was an exception but was probably even more tightly controlled to maintain their unique powers) so shin's parents defected to the republic where they had Shin and his brother. On a related note the Alba in the republic also had a noble lineage/subrace called the Celena but after they became a republic the nobility got super diluted to the point where they barely exist (though they do still exist with Lena in particular having been explicitly noted to be a pureblood Celena) which means the Alba psychics pretty much don't exist anymore
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully they cover at least some of this stuff in the next episode as it seems to be pretty important to the story itself as things go. At least from the side of the Nouzen clan, their ties, and how that plays into how these abilities manifest.

Last edited:

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Demon Slayer season 1

The Hashira are arrogant fuckwads (with the except of Shinobu and pink hair), but this is shonen series, so of course they are.
Zenistu needs to die...horribly. I've said this before. Watching him more did not change my opinion. A character who spends most of his time shrieking almost killed my interest in this series.
Nezuko needs to protected AT ALL COSTS! AT....ALL...COSTS!
The animation is gorgeous, especially the scenes where Tanjiro is swinging his sword and water comes out.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Run with the Wind 21-23

SHARPEST

UNDER

HEAVEN

There is definitely some ambiguity to it, but it's also hard to take the final scenes between the two characters as anything else, as well some scenes earlier.

For further context
The original draft of the story was straight up BL (The author herself is a self-proclaimed fan of boys love and even wrote books about it), but the actual published story removed these elements (rumors said because she had just won an award and editors pressure) and inserted an half-assed love triangle between the twins, Hana and Kakeru. Curiously, it goes nowhere and Hana still likes the twins in the book, so Kakeru moves on while Haiji is still given lines like this. The anime straight up removed this small sub plot and most likely brought it closer to the author's original vision.

Overall, it was probably the best anime I've seen in 10 years and a monumental effort by Production I.G., despite the poor sales they pretty much nailed everything, direction/animation/OST/etc.

I still listen to the main theme to these days.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Beastars S2 3
Yooooooo

I did not expect that at all. The Louis stuff is interesting enough, but the stuff with Legoshi was real good and unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.