Status
Not open for further replies.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
5 episodes in and Bocchi is staggeringly well-animated, fairly well-paced, and channels absurdity in the most knee-slapping implementations of audiovisual comedy I've seen all quarter. It's an all-rounder with a poignant eye for social pressures and band props alike. To add; that performance at the end of 5 rides in with grrrrr-eat flair and camerawork spunk, simplicity and all. ^^'

A-tier show thus far..!!

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has some musical talent and experience in that field, I could tell immediately it was a disaster within a couple seconds, but of course I also knew that it's impossible for me to tell if that comes across to someone whose ear isn't trained to look for those type of problems, so I appreciate what you say here.

Yah I dunno I guess it's because I played in an orchestra, which is closer to a concert band, so I could tell eupho's "bad" version was bad immediately. I couldn't really tell with bocchi (even though I listen to a lot of rock... I guess it's not the same as actually playing it though)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Welcome to the Ballroom 14
Well that was awkward and embarrassing. Chinatsu getting baited and Tataru not leading at all was hard to watch. Both need to get more in sync, Tataru especially needs to step up into the role of lead.

Welcome to the Ballroom 15
New coach! Felt needed since Sugoku is off doing comps most of the time. Don't know how I feel about them going off to embarrass themselves (again) at a high level comp this time. I'm prepared for cringe.

Last edited:

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
Welcome to the Ballroom 14
Well that was awkward and embarrassing. Chinatsu getting baited and Tataru not leading at all was hard to watch. Both need to get more in sync, Tataru especially needs to step up into the role of lead.

Welcome to the Ballroom 15
New coach! Felt needed since Sugoku is off doing comps most of the time. Don't know how I feel about them going off to embarrass themselves (again) at a high level comp this time. I'm prepared for cringe.
once you finish this you should check out dance dance danseur if you didnt already see it earlier this year

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Bocchi da Rock 12 -END-
Fantastic concert. The original songs were amazing, and Bocchi was right all those episodes ago, it's hilarious listening to Kita sing them with a straight face. The drama onstage was great too. Winced at the guitar there. It's funny how drunk senpai is always the first to notice what's going on with Bocchi (how did she get the cup sake into the school?)

Her family is so lol. I think having her kid sister be five is so good (though honestly probably anytime in lower primary would have been fine) because she is exactly the right age to hit all of Bocchi's buttons unintentionally

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
once you finish this you should check out dance dance danseur if you didnt already see it earlier this year
Watched it already. Very similar series.

Bocchi da Rock 12 -END-
Fantastic concert. The original songs were amazing, and Bocchi was right all those episodes ago, it's hilarious listening to Kita sing them with a straight face. The drama onstage was great too. Winced at the guitar there. It's funny how drunk senpai is always the first to notice what's going on with Bocchi (how did she get the cup sake into the school?)

Her family is so lol. I think having her kid sister be five is so good (though honestly probably anytime in lower primary would have been fine) because she is exactly the right age to hit all of Bocchi's buttons unintentionally
Favourite show of the year. Now watch Birdie Wing!

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Chainsawboy end

mostly good to great. I do agree that the production at times was at odds with the manga content, mostly the overly serious and dour tone of the anime dosent really suit the lowbrow crass humour of the manga. Not a big loss imo since the humour of csm isnt my cup of tea most of the time anyways.
Looking forward to the future seasons since it does get progressively better.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Giant Robo Ova 1
Sheesh I forgot how long this is XD. Or that I've never gotten past this part. Well it's my main thing today so I'm hoping to get through disk 1. Kinda funny now knowing about how Alberto and Ivan and their bots are from Mars. Fun start, fun dub

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
My winter 2023 watchlist:

Danmachi IV Part 2
Nagatoro-san S2
Tomo-chan is a Girl!
Trigun Stampede
Tsundere Villainess Lieselotte
Vinland Saga S2

Also going to catch up on Lycoris Recoil, Akiba Maid War, Bocchi the Rock, and the Shirobako movie.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Tsundere villainess isn't the commentary anime is it? Yesss more villainess

OP
OP
Narag

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Robo Ova 1
Sheesh I forgot how long this is XD. Or that I've never gotten past this part. Well it's my main thing today so I'm hoping to get through disk 1. Kinda funny now knowing about how Alberto and Ivan and their bots are from Mars. Fun start, fun dub

it's great how the whole thing is just a big love letter to Mitsuteru Yokoyama by reusing his characters. Shin Mazinger was pretty good for this too but the Mazinger originals had the most shine there.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
it's great how the whole thing is just a big love letter to Mitsuteru Yokoyama by reusing his characters. Shin Mazinger was pretty good for this too but the Mazinger originals had the most shine there.
I'd say New Getter Robo was pretty top tier on that front too, even using one of his other works for brand new villains, and pulling from his love of historical fiction by combining Musashi and Benkei with Benkei Musashi of lore XD.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Gundam ZZ 22

I know that Haman is a villain and that she has a seduction thing, but what the heck is up with her trying to mack the 14-year old Judau? Beyond the creepy factor, I feel like Axis's leader should be beyond that, and she already has Leina as leverage to try and get him to work for her anyway. Wong continues to be right when he wanted to dump Beecha and Mondo.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Welcome to the Ballroom 16
Oh no, I ship it.

Welcome to the Ballroom 17
Chemistry out the ears. I think if these 2 kissed then a lot of that tension between them ease. Or maybe get worse idk.

Welcome to the Ballroom 18
hot-sweating.gif

Good grief that was hot.

Welcome to the Ballroom 19

Oh Akira has it bad for Chinatsu. That suddenly makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the Ballroom 20
That stretch was disgusting, eww. I guess Chinatsu and Akira kinda made up?

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
Aimer my beloved, thought they might borrow a track from her new album but I guess this is an original!

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
My list for shit you GOTTA watch in 2022

- Chainsaw Man
- Mob Psycho III
- Bocchi
- Cyberpunk
- Summer Time Rendering
- Golden Kamuy S4
- Akiba Maid War
- Isekai Ojisan (Uncle from another world) (last episode delayed but damn this was some original and funny af show)
- Sono Bisque (My dress-up darling)

I still need to finish Lycoris Recoil... it was ok from the 7+ episode I watched but was not feeling it

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Lycoris is a style not substance show (and even the style is a bit hit or miss). The two lead character's relationships are what saves it a bit, but not by much.

Still need to check Akiba Maid War, Cyberpunk, Ojisan (when that actually wraps) and of course Mob Psycho. My viewing partner is intimating that Chainsaw Man is probably not on the cards for group viewing, so will have to catch that up by myself.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Lycoris is a style not substance show (and even the style is a bit hit or miss). The two lead character's relationships are what saves it a bit, but not by much.

Still need to check Akiba Maid War, Cyberpunk, Ojisan (when that actually wraps) and of course Mob Psycho. My viewing partner is intimating that Chainsaw Man is probably not on the cards for group viewing, so will have to catch that up by myself.
And birdie wing

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Loved Lycoris Recoil myself. A neat setup, good action and a strong couple help sell a pretty sharp and stylish production for me. Chisato is a treasure. I hope it gets a second season and can build on the popularity it's garnered.

Part way through Bocchi and adore it.

I'm also catching up on Spy Family. I'm only four episodes in to the second half but I'm really enjoying it. Though I will say there's a little bit of a drop in tension after those first two episodes.

Those first two episodes were the show firing on all cylinders, mixing action, drama and comedy. Then the next episode is about naming the dog. lol

Still fun, but a bit of a deescalation.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Welcome to the Ballroom 21
There's some real "Taming of the Shrew" vibes every time they talk about Chinatsu being a "beast" that Tatara needs to control. So I'm glad the 2 have reached a balance. Finally!

Those first two episodes were the show firing on all cylinders, mixing action, drama and comedy. Then the next episode is about naming the dog. lol

Still fun, but a bit of a deescalation.
That's the essence of Spy Fam really. As a manga you don't know what you're going to be getting fortnight to fortnight. Sometimes it's a chapter about dog walking. Sometimes it's a chapter about the horrors of growing up during a war.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Welcome to the Ballroom 22
Well that got real dark at the beginning. But it was an effective way to get me interested in the Creepy Thin Man.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
That's the essence of Spy Fam really. As a manga you don't know what you're going to be getting fortnight to fortnight. Sometimes it's a chapter about dog walking. Sometimes it's a chapter about the horrors of growing up during a war.

Defo. That's the heart of the show… but man, those opening two episodes were awesome. A step up from penguin-hunting at least. :)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Welcome to the Ballroom 23
That blooming sequence was hot. Creepy Thin Man's dance partner is pretty cool too. Yeah I'm definitely picking up the manga after this finishes. I need more.

Welcome to the Ballroom 24
Yay, a win! Loved this show and I love dance.

sad-cat.gif

Now I don't have anything to watch.

Last edited:

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Djinn's commentary about Ballroom makes me wonder, what's everyone favorite show that didn't air this year? When it comes to non 2022 seasonals, I watched FLCL and two seasons of Chihayafuru. But between those two my answer would be 100% Chihayafuru, hands down.

I still have 10 eps of season three to go and I don't think I'll be able to finish it before new year's, but I really can't wait to finish it. Great stuff!

Next year I want to watch less seasonals and more older shows. FLCL and Chihayafuru are the first older shows I watched in a long time since 2019, the year i got stuck in seasonal hell, and it's absolutely worth it.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Djinn's commentary about Ballroom makes me wonder, what's everyone favorite show that didn't air this year? When it comes to non 2022 seasonals, I watched FLCL and two seasons of Chihayafuru. But between those two my answer would be 100% Chihayafuru, hands down.

I guess by default it would be Silver Spoon, since the only other older anime I watched this year was BNA (lol)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the Ballroom 23
That blooming sequence was hot. Creepy Thin Man's dance partner is pretty cool too. Yeah I'm definitely picking up the manga after this finishes. I need more.

Welcome to the Ballroom 24
Yay, a win! Loved this show and I love dance.

sad-cat.gif

Now I don't have anything to watch.
sounds like it's time for a princess tutu rewatch :P

Layla

Oct 25, 2017

definitely rewatching Baccano a couple of months ago. I watched it 10 years ago or so and liked it, but thought it was pretty incredible this time. the animation, the intricate plotting, the voice acting, just everything was a ten out of ten.
also the 3rd Patlabor film was a highlight of my film watching year. people seem to be down on it because the regular cast of characters barely feature, but it felt much more like a "proper" film than an anime film, with really strong direction, editing, shot composition etc. I was kind of blown away by it to be honest.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Blue lock was a big disappointment personally. It was simultaneously way stupider than I imagined but also no where near as stupid as I hoped it would be.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
sounds like it's time for a princess tutu rewatch :P

Too sad 😔

I still have 10 eps of season three to go and I don't think I'll be able to finish it before new year's, but I really can't wait to finish it. Great stuff!

Next year I want to watch less seasonals and more older shows. FLCL and Chihayafuru are the first older shows I watched in a long time since 2019, the year i got stuck in seasonal hell, and it's absolutely worth it.

I don't even remember everything I watched this year lol.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Shadows House S1 for me. Finally got around to watching it and catching up to S2. Interesting show so far.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
honestly that's why i use all the logging sites and whatever these days for basically all forms of media. otherwise i forgot why exactly i thought all these books/games/whatever were mid and only end up remembering the amazing or the awful bits

Status
Not open for further replies.