Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The Gay Horse Racing show with Sawano's OST

Weirdest sentence I typed this week...

Anyway, this was... alright? It was fairly by the book, but the atypical nature of the sport (Did you know TWO badminton shows are airing this season!!!) made it feel more original than it should be.

4r0jPCJ.jpg

Protagonist is your typical black haired Kageyama's clone, but except of an angsty past he was like an... Idol? And he abandoned everything to start to ride ponies and this means he has betrayed his FANS.

Anyway shit happens and he meets him, the horse whisperer

pNubI0V.jpg

Who is very good at riding horses but never rode one before. Together they save the day and proceed to have a couple of homoerotic moments in between.

Krfy9ze.jpg

tfM8WlR.jpg

Anyway it was entertaining, hopefully it doesn't turn into another copy pasted sport anime like usual.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018

Anyway, this was... alright? It was fairly by the book, but the atypical nature of the sport (Did you know TWO badminton shows are airing this season!!!) made it feel more original than it should be.

4r0jPCJ.jpg

Protagonist is your typical black haired Kageyama's clone, but except of an angsty past he was like an... Idol? And he abandoned everything to start to ride ponies and this means he has betrayed his FANS.

Anyway shit happens and he meets him, the horse whisperer

pNubI0V.jpg

Who is very good at riding horse but never rode one before. Together they save the day and proceed to have a couple of homoerotic moments in between.

Krfy9ze.jpg

tfM8WlR.jpg

Anyway it was entertaining, hopefully it doesn't turn into another copy pasted sport anime like usual.

First thing, have I ever told you how much I appreciate your detailed, often hilarious, and equal parts savage summaries? I agree, the show is fairly boiler plate, but it's such a unique premise that I'm IN.

Also if they got the director of Bloom Into You for this, these two better have an ARC.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Slow Loop was really good. Solid 8/10. I came for a slow CGDCT that I can watch while I ate food but I was surprised at the amount of depth in the storyline. It was a nice story of two families trying to heal and move forward and the writing was pretty great. People should have watched this instead of RoK last season.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
love live Nijigasaki S2 good start animation for the pv looks good but at the same time this looks slightly worse than the first season but this has always looked worse than the other love lives

feel like they have a
Chinese market they are catering to now lol superstars and now this have Chinese members no clue how big love live is there don't think it's as big as misaka from toaru at least

gay horse riding 1

in a world where uma musume exist it's bold to come out with normal ass uma riding even with sawano doing the music gonna be funny if there actually is a vocal insert song

Nonstop OVA

i miss this darn show and i need another season ,nice call back to the movie at the end there

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
This season is jam packed with romance shows. 💫

Komi-san part 1 was good, but starting with the second school year now the new sidecharacters will shine and be more enjoyable overall as a show.

I wonder if we will see
Manbagi
at the end of the season or at least a teaser. Honestly hope OLM adapts as much as possible since the quality of the manga goes only up from here.

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

Sawano OST? Say less. I'm in

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
The Executioner and Her Way of Life 1

This was very interesting. I'm not sure what to make of it overall, but it's certainly an intriguing set-up and a striking first episode. Also I don't know why, but the ED especially gave me a very mid-2000s anime vibe, like say Trinity Blood or Hellsing. I'm super hooked on the plot, but I do want to be here for whatever drama is burgeoning in the backstory and on the horizon.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
so i didn't realize at first because it's so rare that i bother with idol anime, but i watched the first season of this season's love live, so i guess i'll be watching this season too lol

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Do we have any idea how Disney + (jail) releases work ? I see Summertime is on it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Do we have any idea how Disney + (jail) releases work ? I see Summertime is on it.
This is the first instance so nobody knows, plus we don't even know when it's coming west. But they've been doing weekly releases for originals to keep their release schedule more active

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Magica Record END
That was a wild ride from start to finish. While I think there were some concessions at the end to make these last few episodes work, I enjoyed it overall. The backstory with Ui, Touka, and Nemu and how things progressed to the point there were at then was a great way to ties things together. Alina at the end, though, felt too much like a needed "bad guy" to bring about a satisfying conclusion.

It is quite interesting that this iteration of the world is retained and makes me wonder if every iteration of the world is retained when Homura tries to start over and save Madoka. It's not the same world, but thousands of parallel worlds. Maybe that was explained in the show, but if not it could have some real repercussions for the upcoming film.

I think the only nit I will pick here outside of how this was scheduled was a few actions made by characters for the benefit of the plot itself. I will say I was heartbroken to see Mifuyu and Momoko give themselves up to save the girls from their doppels as well as Kuroe willingly becoming a Witch due to her disgust with herself not being able to be like Iroha.

Overall great and I hope at some point I can own this series on blu-ray without selling a body part.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Sasaki and Miyano 9
i predict some stall tactics incoming to make sure they arent together until the last episode
At least season 2 is already confirmed, so im guessing thatll be more about once they're a couple.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Trapped in a dating sim: The world of Otome games is tough for Mobs 1
Fun start, about the pacing I figured and flowed well. Appreciated the protag just was flowing with it till he was forced to react. Luxion is a cool ship. Solid OP too. I do appreciate he doesn't have any inherent Isekai status or powers other than Knowledge.

The developers of the Otome game just tossed in whatever stuck tho XD
Definitely rolling with this one

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record S3
From beginning to end this was different from the game while hitting most of the same notes thematically, but they really went for the "bad end" route at the end. Feels like an old mid-00s adaptation like School Days or Phantom of Inferno where it's like "check the game out for the good ending!". Overall I think I liked it.

On Alina in particular: On the one hand, I get what they were going for where Iroha, who wants to be able to save people even if she can't understand them, embraces someone who she (and the audience) doesn't know or understand at all. And that is nice. On the other though, I'm not quite sure how well that was pulled off, and if it's worth trying for that sort of thing over actually making Alina's motivations understandable. I also really wish we had more screentime for Karin than the five seconds she got with zero lines so that may be coloring my perception of that.

Also on Alina: lmao @ her witch runes translating to "Neo Dorothy Motherfucker"

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Is Chainsaw Man more likely airing in the Summer or the Fall? If MAPPA does it justice, it'll break the internet for a time lol.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally watching Ranking of Kings. What a great show.... then I got to episode 22. What the fuck was that? I get it, the theme of the show is forgiveness, but I gotta draw the line somewhere. Fucking gross on multiple levels.

Considering Mappa has an anime for Summer: https://anilist.co/anime/141351/Kakegurui-Twin, Fall makes more sense.
You act as if Mappa hasn't had multiple anime airing during one season.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You know, I can't remember which anime was the first one I watched but I can remember the first 2 I simulcasted as airing: Overly cautious hero and Kemono Michi
Had fun with the craziness XD

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It took me longer than I care to mention to figure out Kemono Michi was by the Konosuba author...

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Am I blind or is there no Japanese Audio with English subtitles version of Season 1 of 86 on Crunchyroll? I only see S2....

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It took me longer than I care to mention to figure out Kemono Michi was by the Konosuba author...
Funny enough it was well before I ran across Konosuba. Actually oddly enough as a late comer to anime I didn't get into Isekai till probably those 2, I was busy working on mech before that. I did watch Magic Knight Rayearth around that time

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Attack on Titan The Alleged Final Season Part 2, Episode 12:

Hi there obvious and highly offensive Roma stereotype, was not expecting you but if you and this series could fuck off all the same.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Marin-chan 4

I hope this show breaks out of the manic dream pixie girl thing soon.

I didn't particularly love that overwork was kind of treated as this weird inspiring thing? But also self-destructive, so I guess that's progress of a kind. I felt like the episode couldn't decide if the focus was on the communication fuckup or whether ganbare-ing through was good or bad

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they went the season route. I figured they would make crazy money if the finale was a movie, especially after the successes of DS and JJK.

Maybe they'll do a short season and a movie for the finale finale.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games Is Tough for Mobs - 1

Gave this a shot because I remember the LN/Manga being fairly well regarded online, but the first episode at least was pretty bad.

The show has a very weird take on gender politics. The MC reincarnates in a quasi medieval videogame world where the gender roles are reversed. Women hold positions of power, and men are treated as second class citizens whose only worth is to marry into a rich family. In theory, this sort of premise could be used for some obvious introspection, to make male viewers think about how bad gender inequalities are for women in the real world. But the show plays its "men are oppressed" message completely unironically straight. I'll give the show the benefit of the doubt for now, but given how many people legitimately believe that men are oppressed in real life, this could very quickly turn into something terrible.

One thing I did like was the protagonist. He's essentially blackmailed into playing the crappy otome game he eventually reincarnates into, and he hates every second of it. And I can relate to that, because at one point I too spent a significant amount of time playing a certain over-hyped visual novel that everyone praised as the best thing ever. And like the protagonist, I actually ended up hating my experience with it. And in a weird coincidence, the shitty VN in the anime actually has a lot of similarities to the VN I played in real life.

The episode ends with the protagonist obtaining an obscene amount of money, and an incredibly overpowered spaceship. Which seems to go against the entire premise of the show - I thought this would be about a weak MC trying to survive in a game where everything is rigged against him, but he's already the most powerful character by episode 1. But I guess we'll see how it goes from here. They could always take the ship away from him or something.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Otome Mob 1 - The 'reverse gender' politics aspect, and how it made the protagonist miserable, sounded/sounds a little red-pill-y at first glance, but so far at least, it just seems like a 'rich do whatever they want' just like more nobility/middle-ages power structure, only with the women establishing marriages/power lineage, rather than men.

We'll see if anything else actually comes of the gender 'reversal', as so far, it just seems that the girls are 'in charge' relationship-wise - I imagine that the little step-sister will be in charge of making the MC miserable, but the OP/ED make it seem like he somehow grabs the attention of both the 'otome villainess' and the 'heroine' both, so idk.

Him using a pay-2-easymode spaceship seems like an odd choice given his desire to quietly find a girl to marry and remain a 'mob'/background character, but that seems more evidently window dressing for his 'initial' backstory, at this point.

Kuroitsu-San's ending wasn't...amazing for me, but I enjoyed it in the sentai 'temporary team-up' sense.

Overall, the series felt more like a mish-mash of ideas rather than an actual plot a lot/most of the time, but I suppose that between discussing different office politics/day-2-day living, and the sentai 'monster/problem of the week', it made sense for what it was trying to do.

It maaaaaaybe could have been better served by having the last-episode be a two-parter, both to give it more time to breathe (it felt super-rushed), as well as to give it a proper 'to be continued' motif, but it was still aight.

Meanwhile, IDK why I watched it all the way through, but Arifureta s2 was trash, but 'dumb fun turn-off-the-brain while exercising' trash that never reached the insanely bad S1 moments....save for his vaguely-adopted mermaid daughter asking skeevy-AF questions walking in on him and his vampire girlfriend in bed together, and asking about sex and the like, as well as insinuating she wants to join his harem/be with him when she grows up.

...Though them immediately ditching her after that (as well as her mom, who of course wants to ban the MC as well) in a 'let's forget that happened' kinda was a bit humorous.

There was zero sense of tension about the MC ever losing or getting beaten at all throughout the entire season, or heck, even trying to really 'pretend' there was even a chance he'd get hurt, aside from one clearly manufactured cliffhanger that still lacked any sense of a death flag.

I can't imagine this gets a s3, but I couldn't imagine it getting a S2 either, so who knows.

Marin-chan 4

I hope this show breaks out of the manic dream pixie girl thing soon.

I didn't particularly love that overwork was kind of treated as this weird inspiring thing? But also self-destructive, so I guess that's progress of a kind. I felt like the episode couldn't decide if the focus was on the communication fuckup or whether ganbare-ing through was good or bad

At the very least, the 'manic pixie dream girl' aspect becomes less....prevalent/noticeable, as Gojo comes into his own as a cosplay designer, and seeing himself in a more positive/self-confident light, and Marin has some development of her own that impacts how she interacts with Gojo to make her seem less.....of a trope.

IMO it's still there on some level throughout the rest of the season, if on a lessening degree as things progress romance-wise.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Yuri Assassin episode 1

Wow, these assassin's love stabbing people in the head, don't they?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Otome Mob 1 - The 'reverse gender' politics aspect, and how it made the protagonist miserable, sounded/sounds a little red-pill-y at first glance, but so far at least, it just seems like a 'rich do whatever they want' just like more nobility/middle-ages power structure, only with the women establishing marriages/power lineage, rather than men.

We'll see if anything else actually comes of the gender 'reversal', as so far, it just seems that the girls are 'in charge' relationship-wise - I imagine that the little step-sister will be in charge of making the MC miserable, but the OP/ED make it seem like he somehow grabs the attention of both the 'otome villainess' and the 'heroine' both, so idk.

Him using a pay-2-easymode spaceship seems like an odd choice given his desire to quietly find a girl to marry and remain a 'mob'/background character, but that seems more evidently window dressing for his 'initial' backstory, at this point.
yeah as a manga reader it's just a medieval setup with a reverse gender setup. They don't really rail on that element as a bad thing for the most part, note the protag was happy and flowing with the world till a specific antagonist shows up. Also the joke is the pay2win ship is the only thing to bring the balance to normal levels. Plus note he comes back in a skiff, not the ship so obviously he's hiding the main ship from everyone.

Edit also as a manga reader don't worry the male capture targets are the idiots and most of the main female characters are smart and competent for the most part

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Surprised they went the season route. I figured they would make crazy money if the finale was a movie, especially after the successes of DS and JJK.

Maybe they'll do a short season and a movie for the finale finale.
Supposedly there aren't that many chapters left for the show to adapt as is. They can try and stretch it to 12 or so episodes but it might end up being shorter than that. So FOR SURE it has to end next season, unless they decide to not remain faithful to the manga (which I doubt tbh)

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
yeah as a manga reader it's just a medieval setup with a reverse gender setup. They don't really rail on that element as a bad thing for the most part, note the protag was happy and flowing with the world till a specific antagonist shows up.

Yeah, I noticed he was relatively chill until being forced into an apparent black-widow-type marriage...I was referring moreso to the trailers/teasers always including a line with something along the lines of pointing out how mean the girls were to non-beautiful boys - the implication being that the social structure was stacked against him as a 'mob'/background character due to 'women being in charge' and being oppressive to 'ugly' dudes and my worry of 'playing it straight', as another poster mentioned above.

Also the joke is the pay2win ship is the only thing to bring the balance to normal levels. Plus note he comes back in a skiff, not the ship so obviously he's hiding the main ship from everyone.

Yeah, I'm curious as to how they balance his obvious 'carrying a bit stick' threat of decimation via advanced tech without making him OP in the vein of most isekai 'anti-heroes'.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly there aren't that many chapters left for the show to adapt as is. They can try and stretch it to 12 or so episodes but it might end up being shorter than that. So FOR SURE it has to end next season, unless they decide to not remain faithful to the manga (which I doubt tbh)

Yeah the amount of content thats left is too much for a movie but might not be enough for a full cour. Maybe they'll do tweak the pacing to make it all fit.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, I noticed he was relatively chill until being forced into an apparent black-widow-type marriage...I was referring moreso to the trailers/teasers always including a line with something along the lines of pointing out how mean the girls were to non-beautiful boys - the implication being that the social structure was stacked against him as a 'mob'/background character due to 'women being in charge' and being oppressive to 'ugly' dudes and my worry of 'playing it straight', as another poster mentioned above.

Yeah, I'm curious as to how they balance his obvious 'carrying a bit stick' threat of decimation via advanced tech without making him OP in the vein of most isekai 'anti-heroes'.
Don't need to worry on the first point but I won't elaborate on it since spoilers. On the latter he doesn't seek trouble, it finds him, but a lot of stuff winds up relying on his skill and personality more than the tech as it is a school. Least for the first couple episodes it should be if I remember right. His endgame is a loving wife and a quiet life not world domination

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
The End of Magia Record

That sure was something else. I guess its kind of cool they went with a bad end, "please play the game to get the real ending" scenario. In a lot of ways, its way more consistent with Madoka's themes than the game. Makes you wonder if this sort of thing is what they originally envisioned. The OP for the game shows a much darker potential scenario before they were made to abandon it for what it eventually became. You can tell it was interference since the second arc the game is really dark with lots of killing.

The game ending for those curious as to how its supposed to be.
youtu.be

Main Story: Chapter Ten

I've made a google drive backup with all of arc one content and some of the fan translated arc two content. Please check it out here: https://drive.google.co...

Last edited:

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record S3

Well that was depressing. Maybe appropriate given how the story was building up, but still an unexpected direction to take given that this is technically an adaptation. Kuroe was actually the part I felt most satisfied by. Her arc felt the most appropriate of the tragedies, the natural conclusion that no, sometimes people can't take all this despair. Certainly a bummer, but I can get why. Everything else, well I guess they wanted to do stuff they can't do in a gacha game. Not bad, but very bleak even by this franchise's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.