Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to watch Getter Arc but don't know where to start? Read here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
What should I do to prepare for Getter Robo?

I remember watching one of the old ones and loving it. Not sure which one I watched though.
I do plan on watching Arc at some point.

My background is Amageddon, Shin Getter Robo and Shing Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo.

I have a feeling that Armageddon does the better job of prepping me for Arc out of these, because it as all about interstellar apocalyptic wars and Getter Ray craziness, which I assume Arc is all about.
So heads up, Armageddon was a standalone reimagining set later in a getter timeline, New was a from the start reimagining, and the original anime as well as neo vs Shin we're there own timeline too(the original anime was made in tandem to the original manga using their concepts executed differently. Neo vs Shin takes Go/Shin manga concepts then makes them fit in the original anime's universe basically.

So here's the important thing. Arc is a straight up adaptation of the Arc Manga(well at least up to where's it unfinished because the author died). Arc was a conclusion/finale to the original/g/Go/shin getter manga comics. So only way to really catch up is to read them.

But if you've watched the other stuff the big things are knowing who Ryoma, Jin and Musashi were, that the dinosaur empire were the original Getter villains, and there were some other ones too, and most of the other major plot lines get referenced as the story goes on.

TLDR: you don't have to watch any of the anime because none of them are linked to arc, or excessively to each other. Reading the preceding 4 manga will catch you up on the story and why certain things are big reveals story wise but general Getter knowledge will suffice as well

Edit: if you haven't watched any getter watch New, it doesn't directly linkup but it's a full reimagining of the original, G and Shin manga, and it'll give you an idea of what getter is. It's on retrocrush For free. It was my intro to Getter and unlike Armageddon it assumes you know nothing. It's also a blast

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So heads up, Armageddon was a standalone reimagining set later in a getter timeline, New was a from the start reimagining, and the original anime as well as neo vs Shin we're there own timeline too(the original anime was made in tandem to the original manga using their concepts executed differently. Neo vs Shin takes Go/Shin manga concepts then makes them fit in the original anime's universe basically.

So here's the important thing. Arc is a straight up adaptation of the Arc Manga(well at least up to where's it unfinished because the author died). Arc was a conclusion/finale to the original/g/Go/shin getter manga comics. So only way to really catch up is to read them.

But if you've watched the other stuff the big things are knowing who Ryoma, Jin and Musashi were, that the dinosaur empire were the original Getter villains, and there were some other ones too, and most of the other major plot lines get referenced as the story goes on.

TLDR: you don't have to watch any of the anime because none of them are linked. Reading the preceding 4 manga will catch you up on the story and why certain things are big reveals story wise but general Getter knowledge will suffice as well

Edit: if you haven't watched any getter watch New, it doesn't directly linkup but it's a full reimagining of the original, G and Shin manga, and it'll give you an idea of what getter is. It's on retrocrush For free
Thank you for the information.

I guess I will start with New. Maybe also read the manga if I can find it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
New Getter Robo is what I meant to say instead of Shin Getter Robo.

Now that was a knife-licking show lol. You know you're in for good shit when it is a plot point that your ordinary mecha anime pilot is not axe crazy enough to ride a Getter properly.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Thank you for the information.

I guess I will start with New. Maybe also read the manga if I can find it.
No prob, Getter series is a lot of fun and it's all worth a watch. Also when I say New is a reimagine of that era, it's very much as it's own story, it even has an original third pilot that's a fusion/remix of the first 2 from the comics(which is why he doesn't show up anywhere else). It's a solid take and the only one that really cleanslates things. Plus it's 13 episodes

New Getter Robo is what I meant to say instead of Shin Getter Robo.

Now that was a knife-licking show lol. You know you're in for good shit when it is a plot point that your ordinary mecha anime pilot is not axe crazy enough to ride a Getter properly.
It has a manga accurate Ryoma and Jin… well Jin is still a touch nicer than the original he isn't ripping faces off at least, and they did an edgy fusion of Benkei and Musashi and he's still the nice guy of the trio. Getter was always escalating too on the manga side… to bad about the author's death before he went full cosmic horror. Plus New's ending is pretty close to Go's

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Railgun S1 up to ~18

it was bad.

kudos though to whoever for the 1000 iq move of using this as an impact frame:
HCfb7gu.jpeg

Getter Robo Arc 2

It's going to be one of these series I complain endlessly about yet still watch till the end cause at the end of the day, robots punching other robots are pretty cool.

Vanitas 02

Clearly the closest we will ever get to BSD S4.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Moribito 16-22

Im in love with this shows setting and how it builds it up so naturally. It really feels like you're only seeing a small part of a much larger world. Id assume the novels explore the different regions more though it dosent look like many of them were ever translated from what i can see unfortunatly.

Oct 27, 2017
No prob, Getter series is a lot of fun and it's all worth a watch. Also when I say New is a reimagine of that era, it's very much as it's own story, it even has an original third pilot that's a fusion/remix of the first 2 from the comics(which is why he doesn't show up anywhere else). It's a solid take and the only one that really cleanslates things. Plus it's 13 episodes
Thanks

I will start with new then watch the rest after I catch up with Arc (probably not the old toei one). Armageddon I remember being great but I barely remember it so it will be interesting to revisit later on.

I have a love and hate relationship with stuff Go Nagai worked on or created. Some of them are really damn cool but he had a habbit of putting some really edgy or terrible stuff to push the boundaries of what manga can be. They can be really wild though so I am excited to see how crazy this will get.
Moribito was great and knowing that there are more Balsa adventure that will never get adapted kills me inside.
For sure.

Moribito is one of the coolest anime I have ever seen and it does a lot of things that I wish more anime would do. Balsa is such a badass protagonist and it would be great to see more of that world.

Similarly, 13 Kingdoms is another one that scratches a very similiar itch. Both of them getting sequels would be amazing.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I've started watching Baccano for the first time, and I'm aware that it is supposed to be confusing, but is it supposed to be THIS confusing?
3 episodes in now and I still have no idea what is really happening, and it's just frustrating tbh

Oct 27, 2017
I've started watching Baccano for the first time, and I'm aware that it is supposed to be confusing, but is it supposed to be THIS confusing?
3 episodes in now and I still have no idea what is really happening, and it's just frustrating tbh
Been a while since I watched it but I remember it clicking at some point. It is a bit like Pulp Fiction in a way where you might not get it the first time through so on a rewatch it is even better.

Keep watching and it will click.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Fruits Basket 20

So I assume there is a reason why asshole Akito gets to abuse any member of the clan as he pleases and faces no repercussions. I assume the reason isn't something as simple as his position as the clan head.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks

I will start with new then watch the rest after I catch up with Arc (probably not the old toei one). Armageddon I remember being great but I barely remember it so it will be interesting to revisit later on.

I have a love and hate relationship with stuff Go Nagai worked on or created. Some of them are really damn cool but he had a habbit of putting some really edgy or terrible stuff to push the boundaries of what manga can be. They can be really wild though so I am excited to see how crazy this will get.

For sure.
It's more Ken Ishikawa's than Nagai's, but yeah it doesn't shirk on violence though none of the anime's go quite as direct as some of the manga scenes None of the anime's have anything quite as crazy as a combiner robot made of the cyborg corpses of Jin's former anarchist comrades, and that was an opening fight of getter G! . Actually it's kinda interesting because Anime Getter has 2 poles it falls between, og anime(which is more lighthearted) and manga(which is more sharp edged and the main characters are generally on the rougher antihero side sans the third pilot). Only modern show more on the lighthearted side was Neo Vs Shin but it's also hot blooded mecha action. New is on the manga side and I'd say Armageddon falls in the middle due to the director swap.

Oh and since you'll run into it since it's been officially released in English, the Getter Robo Devolution manga is a reimagining from the Ultraman Manga team. Not a starting point though much like Ultraman isn't, but any more than that is spoilers. I do wonder if it'll be the next Getter to get an anime after Ultraman's success though

Oct 27, 2017
It's more Ken Ishikawa's than Nagai's, but yeah it doesn't shirk on violence though none of the anime's go quite as direct as some of the manga scenes None of the anime's have anything quite as crazy as a combiner robot made of the cyborg corpses of Jin's former anarchist comrades, and that was an opening fight of getter G! . Actually it's kinda interesting because Anime Getter has 2 poles it falls between, og anime(which is more lighthearted) and manga(which is more sharp edged and the main characters are generally on the rougher antihero side sans the third pilot). Only modern show more on the lighthearted side was Neo Vs Shin but it's also hot blooded mecha action. New is on the manga side and I'd say Armageddon falls in the middle due to the director swap.

Oh and since you'll run into it since it's been officially released in English, the Getter Robo Devolution manga is a reimagining from the Ultraman Manga team. Not a starting point though much like Ultraman isn't, but any more than that is spoilers. I do wonder if it'll be the next Getter to get an anime after Ultraman's success though
Thanks for the correction. The characters look like his characters so I assumed he was the main "guy" of this series. That spoiler sounds crazy in the best way possible. I live for this kind of edge.

Thanks for the heads up on the manga. I will check it out at some point.

Speaking of Go Nagai, I read Black Lion a few years back and it had some really crazy twists. That manga would be a really cool anime if they adapted it just like the source. There was an OVA based on it but it was very different.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Slime S2 14
Curious turn of events with the reveal of our big bad pulling the strings, set up for the next major arc and the warning at the end.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to not say anything about To Your Eternity with so many assumptions, and zipping my mouth cause I'll prob say something spoilery, so I'll just say something vague like this :x

Oct 25, 2017
ANN is rude

"Scar on the Praeter
Jul 13, 12:00 anime
I'm going to stick with the assumption that no rational person would seek out an entry of the GoHands Cinematic Universe without the incentive of monetary compensation.

+ It's better than Hand Shakers and W'z, especially with its writing
− Still absolutely horrid to look at in every imaginable way, it's not much better than Hand Shakers and W'z "

but on a serious note, how did I miss this? if its better than Hand Shakers and W'z then I need to get on it. Both were in my top anime of the year lists.

still the best song

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Nana 3

Sigh. You know what I think I will give this contrived bullshit a pass due to the great execution, but I have my eye on you script writer...

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
You know it's a dry season when most of the posts are about backlogs :p Oh shoot, I gotta finish up Godzilla SP quick, I forgot Beastars S2 is out soon!

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Love Live Superstar - 1

First time watching a Love Live show, and it was actually pretty alright. Visually it's definitely a step above other cute girls idol shows I've seen. So even if it does absolutely nothing original story wise, I enjoyed most of the first episode.

But then the ending song played and I was reminded that I really don't care for Love Live music at all. Since the protagonist here is also a guitarist, I was hoping for a more guitar focused soundtrack, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad people are finally watching Nana. It is a really cool anime.

I might have to rewatch it after I am done with the stuff I am watching right now.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I like that the new Love Live didn't even bother trying to hide who was going to end up in the group with that final song. Like we all know who's going to be in it before even starting, but previous entries at least pretended it was a mystery. Here we have a character who goes "I hate school idols, they're the scum of the earth!" and the next thing you know they're singing as one. And I bet they'll be back to hating on them with the next episode.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I like that the new Love Live didn't even bother trying to hide who was going to end up in the group with that final song. Like we all know who's going to be in it before even starting, but previous entries at least pretended it was a mystery. Here we have a character who goes "I hate school idols, they're the scum of the earth!" and the next thing you know they're singing as one. And I bet they'll be back to hating on them with the next episode.

the stuCoPres who hates idols is as necessary to a Love Live show as the Idiot But Endearing Centre and the Chaos Gremlin

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Is the new Love Live good for someone who loved Zombieland Saga but dislikes idol stuff?
If you loved Zombieland Saga you don't dislike idol stuff, sorry.

the stuCoPres who hates idols is as necessary to a Love Live show as the Idiot But Endearing Centre and the Chaos Gremlin

Yeah, the whole first episode introduced the group members already pretty explicitly. The only surprise from the ED imo is that it's only a 5-person group this time. Which I think is a good choice.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Dead Dead Detective episode 2

Oh god, this is going to turn into
the guy helping the girls that have the detective girl's organs?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getter Arc 1

Every time I see the CGI I just wish I was watching Armageddon. Oh well, still gonna watch it because its Getter.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
JKgSvBg.gif

Have I been living a lie???

The things I liked the most about Zombie Land Saga is the story telling and characters. And the music. Does this scratch that itch?
idol anime are like slice of life sports club anime, or school club anime, just with music competition instead of sports competition and the school club is idols. So it's kinda like those. Some are good, some are okay, some are not so good.

This one, going by the first episode, is likely to be good.

Oct 27, 2017
idol anime are like slice of life sports club anime, or school club anime, just with music competition instead of sports competition and the school club is idols. So it's kinda like those. Some are good, some are okay, some are not so good.

Thanks

I guess I am taking a break from Getter Robo and Lovely Complex rewatch and watch the episode.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You know it's a dry season when most of the posts are about backlogs :p Oh shoot, I gotta finish up Godzilla SP quick, I forgot Beastars S2 is out soon!
It is a dryer season, though I've also been pushing Nana for a while now :P
Glad people are finally watching Nana. It is a really cool anime.

I might have to rewatch it after I am done with the stuff I am watching right now.
Yeah, so tempted to rewatch it myself. Must at least get motivated to sell my old DVDs.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

So this is probably why I've avoided idol anime in the past. Very rarely do sports anime actually interest me unless it has a unique hook. The zombies are what got me into Zombie Land Saga and similarly, Ping Ping and Yuasa got me into Ping Ping. I think I'd either need a good hook to get into another idol or sports anime and would much rather watch a SoL show instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.