Status
Not open for further replies.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
Lycoreco END

that was a good finale, although I felt like the conflict between Majima and Chisato ultimately felt pointless. Entertaining fight tho so I didn't mind it too much. Interested to see how much or a role the Alan Institute and the Lilybells will play in the subsequent seasons if it happen

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Bokurano 3-4

This show is morbid as fuck. I'm used to Mecha anime being somewhat dark but this one seems like it's on another level. At least now I know why the main cast was so big: Every couple of episodes one of the kids will die. And there are still plenty of characters left.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Lycoris definitely needed more denouement, for sure.

Aside from that though, echo the feeling of .....being kinda unfocused, in terms of an ending?

Society as 'too safe', while kinda interesting on Majima's part of crusading against to find a 'balance', felt kinda out of sorts, if only because Japan seemed pretty otherwise 'normal'/the norm that we're used to?

In any case, I assumed the relationship between Chisato and Takina would remain 'besties/partners' (and not progress anywhere further), but on reflection, it feels kinda....unearned/taken for granted on Chisato's part.

We see Takina put in effort and grow beyond her paramilitary childhood at the same time as her friendship with Chisato and the others at LycoReco, but it kinda doesn't ever feel really 'actually' reciprocated on Chisato's part (or at least, it's just kinda 'assumed' Chisato is besties because she's the protag/genki in general, without a whole lot of actions on Chisato's part to back it up, and a lot of selfishness on Chisato's part?)

I get that Chisato is the protag. (and OP), but hopefully Takina gets a bit more time to shine in S2, if there is one.

Otherwise...

hooray at Anos Voldigoad returning! Can't wait to see the crazy ridiculous ways in which he manages to kill someone this time around!

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Lycoris definitely needed more denouement, for sure.

Aside from that though, echo the feeling of .....being kinda unfocused, in terms of an ending?

Society as 'too safe', while kinda interesting on Majima's part of crusading against to find a 'balance', felt kinda out of sorts, if only because Japan seemed pretty otherwise 'normal'/the norm that we're used to?

In any case, I assumed the relationship between Chisato and Takina would remain 'besties/partners' (and not progress anywhere further), but on reflection, it feels kinda....unearned/taken for granted on Chisato's part.

We see Takina put in effort and grow beyond her paramilitary childhood at the same time as her friendship with Chisato and the others at LycoReco, but it kinda doesn't ever feel really 'actually' reciprocated on Chisato's part (or at least, it's just kinda 'assumed' Chisato is besties because she's the protag/genki in general, without a whole lot of actions on Chisato's part to back it up, and a lot of selfishness on Chisato's part?)

I get that Chisato is the protag. (and OP), but hopefully Takina gets a bit more time to shine in S2, if there is one.

Otherwise...

hooray at Anos Voldigoad returning! Can't wait to see the crazy ridiculous ways in which he manages to kill someone this time around!
I definitely feel you. Takina actually had an arc in the show, and I'm having a hard time actually putting together whatever arc Chisato was supposed to have. (She is definitely selfish and jeez do I want that explored as a character flaw.) They've set up a good arc for Chisato to have in a sequel. Problem being we need a sequel.

It doesn't feel like the show was made to stand on its own, which is bad thing when even if we get as sequel it'll be years away. Unless they have a second cour up their sleeve.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
...Okay, Black Summoner jumped the shark, both in the power wank and 'oh right it's a harem, complete with a 'not' little-sister' aspects, urgh.

Apparently reddit is saying that it hasn't bolstered sales at all (and pissed manga/LN readers by omitting some stuff, the LN is much more violent and has some darker magic elements that got PG-ified), so that's that, I suppose.

I definitely feel you. Takina actually had an arc in the show, and I'm having a hard time actually putting together whatever arc Chisato was supposed to have. (She is definitely selfish and jeez do I want that explored as a character flaw.) They've set up a good arc for Chisato to have in a sequel. Problem being we need a sequel.

Yeah, I dunno - I imagine that her arc, if anything, was maybe to be reaffirming her resistance against Shinji/Alan's plan for her to be the best killer alive.....but that never changed at all, to the point of her stopping Takina trying to save her life by killing Shinji, and never had any nuance besides her doing whatever she wanted, as long as no one was killed if possible.

But the show never really even....really acknowledges that selfishness (which is only possible due to her one-in-a-billion kinesthetic eyesight ability) - outside of reinforcing how noble/heroic it is (by contrasting at first Takina, and later on Majima, as being in opposition to her) - or puts up any serious roadblocks that she doesn't near-effortlessly overcome, so I don't know that I have high hopes for it showing up as a character flaw in a theoretical S2.

Heck, given the tone of the show, I don't even know if they'd acknowledge it if there WERE a S2, it doesn't seem like something they're necessarily interested in exploring.

Seems more likely they'd have more 'Lillybell' versus-type shenanigans, with some of the other secret military factions vying to foist Lycoris out, given that the seed of doubt has been planted, +/- Majima and more 'anarchy is good, actually' shenanigans.

....Though apparently, the Chisato/Takina ship is decently sized, the author is a yuri fan, there's already a spin-off manga (which is where the zombies apparently are, I was wondering about that, lol) with more subtext, and the LNs/BDs are doing well, though, so we'll see.

Last edited:

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Delicious Party Pretty Cure 29

Got some last bits of characterization of Narcistoru before he leaves for awhile, fun and absurd world building of the CooKingdom, Rosemary advancing the mystery of the capabilities of the Bundorus and Cinnamon, and Secretoru showing her thief expertise by easily infiltrating the castle. All cool and interesting stuff. Except whatever the Cures were doing. Why are the main characters some of the least engaging parts of the show? What a random movie tie-in at the end. If it was meant to be a jump scare that was a good one.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Digimon Ghost Game 44
Average. Nice to see Antylamon, though. Next week looks like a take on Death Note.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Ao Ashi 18

Man, everyone involved is dumb. Coaches are awful for not coaching and trying to play Ashito somewhere he has no business playing. Ashito doesn't have any defensive skills and can barely pass yet you want him to be involved in build-up and passing? Why are they leaving him out to dry? Just put him as a midfielder and be done with it. The job of a coach is to develop players. I know they can't teach awareness but they can help Ashito with improving his skills and transitioning to a new position. Ashito is dumb for trying to steal moves from another player. No matter how hard he tries, he's not going to be them. He's gotta learn to be his own player but his coaches are idiots so I can't really blame him.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
The Tatami Time Machine Blues 2
So, so good.

Pantheon 5
Renee has completely lost it. Caspian might have too for that matter.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, I dunno - I imagine that her arc, if anything, was maybe to be reaffirming her resistance against Shinji/Alan's plan for her to be the best killer alive.....but that never changed at all, to the point of her stopping Takina trying to save her life by killing Shinji, and never had any nuance besides her doing whatever she wanted, as long as no one was killed if possible.

But the show never really even....really acknowledges that selfishness (which is only possible due to her one-in-a-billion kinesthetic eyesight ability) - outside of reinforcing how noble/heroic it is (by contrasting at first Takina, and later on Majima, as being in opposition to her) - or puts up any serious roadblocks that she doesn't near-effortlessly overcome, so I don't know that I have high hopes for it showing up as a character flaw in a theoretical S2.

Heck, given the tone of the show, I don't even know if they'd acknowledge it if there WERE a S2, it doesn't seem like something they're necessarily interested in exploring.

Seems more likely they'd have more 'Lillybell' versus-type shenanigans, with some of the other secret military factions vying to foist Lycoris out, given that the seed of doubt has been planted, +/- Majima and more 'anarchy is good, actually' shenanigans.

....Though apparently, the Chisato/Takina ship is decently sized, the author is a yuri fan, there's already a spin-off manga (which is where the zombies apparently are, I was wondering about that, lol) with more subtext, and the LNs/BDs are doing well, though, so we'll see.
I'm just trying to be optimistic. I don't see how a second season wouldn't involve Chisato needing to grow up. At least a little. Mika's secret is a ticking time bomb of drama between her and him. Do I think the creative team can pull it off? Well, I do share a lot of your cynicism after S1. We've seen that Chisato can bend her ideology under certain circumstances, like Takina being in imminent danger.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Saw that the dub of the first episode of Ya Boy Kongming is out. Skimming through it, voices are solid, though they indeed aren't dubbing the songs. I wonder how they'll handle the rap segments.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
BNA 4
The pace of this show is blinding, but there were still some moments that had a little bit of time to breath (Michiru looking in the mirror/looking at her mum's facelook post and hesitating over a move that she knew was stupid but that she really wanted to do). also appreciated the one-frame Little Witch gag.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Aoashi 24

My boy Aoi has come so far. I'm proud of him.

This is definitely one of my top anime this year, I had a great time with it. Maybe it will fill the void left by Haikyuu.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Bokurano 5-6

Every episode is more depressing than the one before. Now that the children know that they will die once they pilot the mech, they have to live in fear of being the next pilot.

I really hope that there is a point to all this despair. What is Bokurano trying to say?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Bokurano 5-6

Every episode is more depressing than the one before. Now that the children know that they will die once they pilot the mech, they have to live in fear of being the next pilot.

I really hope that there is a point to all this despair. What is Bokurano trying to say?
Hahahahahaha
A point
To Bokurano
Hahahhahahahaha

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
Bokurano 5-6

you are looking at it the wrong way, the point is that there is no point.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hahahahahaha
A point
To Bokurano
Hahahhahahahaha
Hoping they get into Super robot wars so they can get a better story and less lethal ending? Worked for Zambot 3(it's post story and somehow all 3 pilots are alive when 2 went out in a suicide attack in the actual story), and Cross Ange

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just wait till Furisu finds out why the whole robot stuff is even going on lol

Hoping they get into Super robot wars so they can get a better story and less lethal ending? Worked for Zambot 3(it's post story and somehow all 3 pilots are alive when 2 went out in a suicide attack in the actual story), and Cross Ange

They would deserve it. But alas....

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners 4, 5

4 was an alright episode to get us familiarised with edgerunners, the gang, and David's place in it. I like how it was structured, going back and forth with the run with Lucy. Especially liked how it progressed, the fight towards the end was pretty great.

5 was even better and I loved the snappy pacing and constant action tension. Lots of surprises from everyone involved, and just a very engrossing episode in all.

I'm finally getting into the groove of the show now!

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
AoAshi END
for a football anime to come out in a season "spring" with a lot of good shows it mostly got overlooked the first few weeks till word of mouth of how good it was and it really stayed true to the end ,as someone that never finishes most football anime's this show ended up being one of my favorite sports animes

i was losing my shit at ,Ashito's plays and it really did seem like he planned it all which makes his growth so scary what a finale note to end on

Recoil End
decent finale , pretty open ending crammed a lot in there by the end lol

show was overally pretty fun while i preferred more SoL ,the action parts were really well done when you deep dive in the writing for the final arc it's pretty bad but it's covered up with a lot of good moments and due to it being a OG anime we all had no clue how it would really end

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Summer Time Rendering EP 24

EIW3S4D.png

Bruh, what a ending... emotional af, now to wait for the finale episode where it is just pure chill <3

PS: Easily one of the best shows this and last season

Last edited:

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Bokurano 8

Bro...you're telling me that this teacher slept with his (middle-school) student, cheated on her with her adult sister, while he was simultaneously spying on female students with his installed cameras...and now we find out that he got this middle-schooler pregnant? There is no bottom.

The dilemma that the group faces now is gonna be a mess as well...who could the traitor be? Furthermore, how did Chizu's unborn child agree to the contract? I don't think that's a question I should be asking tbh.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
Summer Time Rendering EP 24

EIW3S4D.png

Bruh, what a ending... emotional af, now to wait for the finale episode where it is just pure chill <3

PS: Easily one of the best shows this and last season

this show was also one of my favorites sent to die because of Disney + it's last couple of episodes have been great and the overall 2nd cour is way better than the early parts

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Bokurano 9-12

It looks like the show has calmed down a little bit. These four episodes didn't really try to be as shocking as the prior ones and instead focused on characters whose pasts aren't as controversial. Their stories, while tragic, were wholesome and a nice change of pace. The army lady whose name I can't recall rn has also become the POV character, which is a welcome change. And now we're seemingly in a parallel dimension?

I hope the despair stays away for a couple more episodes but I know that it's gonna come back in a big way.

OP
OP
Narag

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
The Pop Team Epic Bob Nemi Mimi endurance stream sure on youtube sure is on brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.