Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Dungeon Meshi - 01
Now this is the good stuff! Trigger and the staff already won me over with the first episode. I think I expected more from the OP (Love the Bump of Chicken OP by the way), but even now it looks nice with the character animation. A good way to show Ryoko Kui's character designs too..

I think it's kinda funny how two of my most anticipated show this season are food-related (this and Himesama Goumon)

Sousou no Frieren - 17
Speaking of OP, I much prefer this OP than the previous one, both in animation and in song. Episode wise, I think it's really sweet how Frieren pampers Fern. Just sad that Sein left the group.

Pokemon Concierge - 02
Can't stop smiling part 2. Ugh Haru and Psyduck are just too cute together.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
They did a great job with Yubisaki, they nicely amplified the emotions from the manga in animated form. Will be a chill watch. I wonder what the stopping point will be.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yubisaki to Renren (A Sign of Affection)

Felt like that first episode goes really fast in terms of how they interact with each other. Not necessarily a negative but not what I expected. I guess this anime is more about them already being together than them getting to that fact?

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
A Sign of Affection

80xpPNc.gif

Bless this series. I couldn't have asked for a better adaptation, they put a lot of care in the sound design and the lips/hands animation. This is going to be great

I love the cast so much. The secondary characters are one of the manga's strongest point imo

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn they got WIT Studio and Tetsurou Araki to do the OP for Dangers in My Heart

OP
OP
Narag

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some anime suggestions.

I want to watch something Fantasy based by way D&D. Funny with some seriousness. Kind of like Goblin Slayer without all the questionable stuff. Something not made for Saturday mornings if that makes sense. Like, I tried to watch One Piece but it's to childish for lack of a better work. The live action version is as great though.

Used to watch a lot of Tenchi back in the day. Liked Goblin Slayer despite its issues. Berserk was great but not really funny.

That Delicious is Dungeon episode 1 was pretty good though plot seems light.

Any good suggestions? Thanks!

Lodoss.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I WILL POUND THE HEALING MAGIC INTO YOU! episode 1

This is funny. I like.
At least the two with powers don't become dicks like every other anime of this type.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I WILL POUND THE HEALING MAGIC INTO YOU! episode 1

This is funny. I like.
At least the two with powers don't become dicks like every other anime of this type.
The confused pragmatist feeling guilty and the freaking out thrilled fangirl happy to be freed from her mundane life made a perfect contrast!

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Sign of Affection 1

why did they give everyone such huge kissable lips lol
Its a good adaptation. It feels weird seeing some of these early bits again…the way he treats yuki sometimes, for someone he literally just met, always felt a bit off. Can you imagine someone patting you on the head like a child after your first meeting when you are both 19/20?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was hoping the dub for Solo Leveling would be Day One with how early it was announced, but I guess not.

Sign of Affection 1

why did they give everyone such huge kissable lips lol
Its a good adaptation. It feels weird seeing some of these early bits again…the way he treats yuki sometimes, for someone he literally just met, always felt a bit off. Can you imagine someone patting you on the head like a child after your first meeting when you are both 19/20?

Glad it wasn't just me lol.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Solo Leveling 01
An OK introduction to the world and their premise. Animation was good and pace finally isn't so rushed (this has been a problem with every manhwa adapted so far).

Mashle S2 01
We got "Sand Potter" and the rest of the visionaries. Mash as always clueless and the visual gags aid to the comedic pace.

Honestly, I need this season be tame since the last 2 it was almost 15-20 shows to follow regularly.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
The Apothecary Diaries 13
"So much wasted sex appeal." lmaoooo
"Can I sell this eunuchs scent as an aphrodisiac?" Omg Maomao chill lmfaoooo

Maomao not going back to the rear palace means less Gyokuyou, and that makes me sad. I need to see the recording session where Aoi Yuuki is making all of these weird sounds as Maomao 🤣

New OP is nice but doesn't compare to Hana ni Natte.

A Sign of Affection 01
Glad everyone is nice to her. I got too much trauma from A Silent Voice.

Agree with everyone saying that the head patting was very weird, they just met wtf. Yuki doesn't seem to mind tho lol

Yuki is adorable, btw. Omg, her little dance at the end 🥺.
Was that Bad Boys on the TV? lol

The Demon Prince of Momochi House 01
We have Fruits Basket at home.

OP is a BOP

The ending scene was pretty good, a heartfelt moment immediately followed by "pay up, you squatters" lmaoo

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Darn, no Frieren BGM CD released yet (just op and end singles).

And I can't find the cookies either.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Beaut I should probably go through the simulcast list

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Dunbine 1-9(disk 1)
You can definitely see a lot of concepts being messed with here that got refined to be used in Zeta Gundam. Todd is an ass of a rival who makes Jerid look good. Sho's a touch dense in an endearing way, and as always the higher powers just try to throw away problems rather than deal with them. Love how organic the mech designs feel too. Super unique for that era

Super Tank 1
Fun enough, gotta love when your critical passive is misunderstood and you can't activate your ultimate XD

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
A Sign of Affection - 1

Yuki seems delightful, and it's clear that the show has made a great effort to try and portray what it's like in the day to day life of a deaf person.

But Itsuomi, the love interest, is kind of a bore. He's the ultra capable too cool for strong emotions type who probably has some baggage and will show more emotions later. Don't just touch people outta nowhere, man.

It's not enough for me to write the show off but I hope it gets better.

Mashle s2 - 1

I didn't finish S1 with a high opinion of the show but I think its core gimmick still has enough life for me to enjoy myself.

Solo Leveling - 1

Animation and action's pretty nice but as of now I'm not sure why this is the big hyped up show of the season. Maybe the whole "barely disguised video game" plot has been too well worn for me.

Apothecary Diaries - 13

Felt more like an opening to season two, which I guess it technically is but most of it was reorienting into the new but not so different status quo.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of Wedding Rings E1

Is it Isekai if you don't die? I liked the main couple's chemistry, but based on the title and OP/ED this screams harem. Anyway, it seems interesting enough to keep going.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Tales of Wedding Rings E1

Is it Isekai if you don't die? I liked the main couple's chemistry, but based on the title and OP/ED this screams harem. Anyway, it seems interesting enough to keep going.
I mean it literally means other world so yes. Portal stories, summoning and reincarnation all count

Anime of the Year 2023 Voting Thread

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
AOTY 2023 is up . No rule changes. Added "BEST EPISODE" category. 1 month and 11 days. Get your watch on yo.

www.resetera.com

ResetEra Anime of the Year 2023 - Voting Thread (READ THE OP) [Ends 11:59pm EST on February 17th] Anime/Manga

Welcome to ResetEra's seventh Anime of the Year (AOTY) voting thread!! This vote allows us to look back on the various anime that came out in the year of 2023, celebrating those that stood out in this often crowded medium. 2024-02-17 23:59:59 America/New_York For better or worse anime can be a...

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Solo Leveling Episode 1:

So here we are, THE hyped up show of the season and probably the most hyped up Korean webnovel since the heyday of the Crunchyroll Orginals. Much like those, this is coming in way overhyped, possibly a few notches below Tower of God or even the early episodes of God of the High School since the visuals and production vaules are pretty standard; downright underwhelming. It is also suffering for the typical problem of having to cram in so much of the infinite canvas into a small a space as a 23 minute progam but hopefully things pick up now that we are done with the establishing.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Soaring Sky Pretty Cure 47
If you're just going to rip-off Haa-chan in the end, do it sooner so that Elle can be a proper character for longer. Still not clear on what Elle is. Guess Ellelain just magic'd her into existence. Not bad for Skearhead trying to suicide bomb the Cures while making sure the Empress stays true to Unergu's toxic power ideology. This season has been shy about killing characters, but I hope this sticks. I was going to make a joke about how Ellelain still couldn't tell the Cures anything on why this conflict is happening, but perhaps she's not as trustworthy as we thought. Between her and Shalala there's a lot of suspicious good guys running around. Skearhead did himself in, and Ellelain is dead, so is there a point to the Empress's revenge if she manages to calm down? This show is maybe too firm on keeping its secrets close to its chest.

Stage on

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, the Op for the first half of Frieren and Apothecary Diaries where such bangers while the second Op feel like massive downgrades. Crossing my fingers that the second Op for Undead unluck doesn't follow this trend.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Apoc Diaries 13
As mentioned above this is a place setting episode and a situation reset, but it's good to see how exactly they're doing it (as well as exploring a bit more of what's up in Jinxi's head). I really like seeing Maomao's older sisters and I hope we get more backstory there as well at some point. I also thought it was a great move that Maomao isn't an uber genius immediately passing the court exams or anything and instead has zero interest in it (feeling a bit aggrieved about it even), but still highlighting how she deals with the other maidservants and such.

Lots of little mysteries and plates setup for what's next. Very curious based on the new OP (which I like even more than Hana ni Natte)

/edit I sort of lost track, does Maomao know Jinxi is the emperor's brother or what? I thought she deduced it at the end of the last arc, but here she's like 'huh I guess Jinxi's important. oh well i have zero interest in this beyond how much access to poisons i get'

Last edited:

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
only one watching Ao no exorcist? okay cool cool
every time a new season comes out for this i go holy crap it's been how long since the last one?! regardless this gives me a flashback to another era and i'm glad we are doing such a great arc despite this being where i fell off the manga years ago whoever was still reading it seems to say it continues to be good from here on

Dairies 13
Mappa wasn't the only studio making boys super hot god damn but everyone else is kinda hot in this show so it's all balanced
everywhere mao goes shes always making enemies lol

bad for my heart S2

went from hating this to loving it last year and this was already a great opener love the OP then i see the...dance romcoms and dance sequences name a better duo

solo leveling

hard to block out how overly hyped up this was and it was fine? looks decent bit more gory than i was ever expecting even more so from A-1

this could've benefited from 48mins like even without knowing anything i clearly could see how it was gonna go but they just end it there.

not even my love for sawano could get me pumped up but will give it a bit more time ,exposition everywhere but it wasn't overly fast pace so i guess that's good unlike god of highschool granted both that and tower of god had better premieres though

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Dungeon Meshi - 01
Fun concept the creator really went in on thinking about the biology of the plants and animals. Huge Trigger fan so I will definitely watch this weekly.

Blue Exorcist - S301
Can't believe Rin and the crew are back and the score still just as good. Honestly bless the team lead who got a new season greenlit by a different studio.

Mashle - 13
Love this show the gag hasn't worn out yet. Also damn the OP/ED are so good

A Sign of Affection - 01
Out of nowhere I really like this first episode. The little details we see from her POV fascinating.
The last couple of years I really started appreciating "this" type of wholesome show each season. The background art and overall fashion also so very well researched.

Solo Leveling - 01
I read a bit of it years ago honestly forgot most of the plot. Happy to see more Korean webnovel adapted. Huge Sawanno fan will watch mostly for the score. Kinda fascinated to see how this does they are trying super hard to promote this series.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't read Solo Leveling but know the basic premise. I think they should have gone with an extended first episode. It's good that they are taking the time to set up the world and not rushing things but it just kind of ends without introducing the main gimmick. Kind of a weird way to end a first episode.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I only know about Solo because of my kid brother. Its popular with teenagers who play too much league of legends is my only reference point.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Heard that Ao no Exorcist new season is off to a bad start (already skipping arcs, fast pacing).. That is really unfortunate to hear, and there goes my interest..

Maomao's Diaries - 13
The break was short, but man did I miss this! Sneak, sneak. Sneak, sneak. 🤣 Her going crazy over her box with those special herbs killed me as well. Aaaaah. 🥴

Solo Leveling - 01
Well, this didn't do much for me so far, we'll see. But the ranking reminded me of Gangsta. with my beloved Nicholas. What made me remember, the mangaka felt terribly ill and chances are very, very high, it'll never get continued at all. What a shame. 😞

Blue Excorcist S3 - 01
Damn, I remember nothing! I'm still glad it's back, and it was a nice first ep to get into it a bit again.
I didn't need to remember Shura and her "outfit" though. 🙄

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Speaking as someone who read a bit of Solo Leveling, aside from one interesting power that isn't focused on, it's standard power fantasy with no substance, as in, while reading i think i forgot character names and things just mashed together due to how generic things were.

It's blatantly a story about a guy getting overpowered abilities and then starting his path to...well, be overpowered as hell, i mean, that can work and be fun, but Solo Leveling...doesn't do it for me.

I recall the one thing i liked being the art, great art but the rest...meh.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Sasaki and Peeps - 01
Great first episode. Gintoki as a salaryman, can't say no to that.
I was hoping for a chill slice of life salaryman isekai story, but it seems to be more fantasy. Let's see where the series is going.

Full title of the LN is
"Sasaki and Peeps: That Time I Got Dragged into a Psychic Battle in Modern Times While Trying to Enjoy a Relaxing Life in Another World - Looks Like Magical Girls Are On Deck".
Yep, this series will go places.

Last edited:

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
only lasted 10 minutes into Solo Leveling before bouncing hard, totally not my kind of show
kissed a few frogs this season so far, thank haruhi for Frieren & Maomao continuing

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Blue Exorcist Season 3, Episode 1:

I think the story of the choices made to bring us a season 3 of the now lowly Blue Exorcist in the god damned year of 2024 is probably vastly more interesting then anything presented on screen here.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Mashle S2 01
Maybe I was too harsh on this show before, this episode was funny as fuck 😂. Everytime I saw Dot all I could think about was that one SpongeBob episode:
firmly_grasp_it.jpg

This show has its own group of Hashira huh, and one of them is Crocodile. New OP and ED are BOPS, but the actual ED itself is weird...

Shangri-la Frontier 14
New OP is FIRE. Feel like I've been saying that a lot these past few days.

Hope we get more of Elke, she was great. Oooh shit, we got a raid coming. That's a cool way to counter player killers. Now that begs the question: do Player Killer Killers become Player Killers themselves? 🤔

Tales of Wedding Rings 01
Another banger OP lmaoo
Have you ever had your entire house blush?

Ehhh, not feeling this one

One Piece 1089
New OP is the BOPPEST of BOPS. Best OP of the year already

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sasaki and Peeps - 01
Great first episode. Gintoki as a salaryman, can't say no to that.
I was hoping for a chill slice of life salaryman isekai story, but it seems to be more fantasy. Let's see where the series is going.

Full title of the LN is
"Sasaki and Peeps: That Time I Got Dragged into a Psychic Battle in Modern Times While Trying to Enjoy a Relaxing Life in Another World - Looks Like Magical Girls Are On Deck".
Yep, this series will go places.
I was already on board with this one but now moreso. Tho I'm probably waiting for the dub

Also if you want more relaxed slice of life, the series: "Peddler in Another World: I Can Go Back to My World Whenever I Want" would be more of what you want.

Typhonsentra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Apothecary Diaries 13
"So much wasted sex appeal." lmaoooo
"Can I sell this eunuchs scent as an aphrodisiac?" Omg Maomao chill lmfaoooo

Maomao not going back to the rear palace means less Gyokuyou, and that makes me sad. I need to see the recording session where Aoi Yuuki is making all of these weird sounds as Maomao 🤣
I've felt like this for a while, but my ability to suspend disbelief and just accept the idea that Mao Mao can't piece together him being royalty is beyond it's limit. No one talks about him the way they do the other eunuchs and he is held in an insanely high regard within the court, and all the women lust after him without making any qualifiers about it being a shame. And yet she never questions her original assumption, which also prevents her from piecing together the last piece of his lineage which is the main "Mystery" for the series as a whole. I still like the show, but this aspect feels a lot like the dense protagonist in a harem anime.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hmmmm, wonder if any of the Discotek clues could be for this one, which I'm now interested in after discovering it exists(still a shame their original plans of doing a direct adaption of the manga fell through due to a staff change)

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M4bHbZX-fqk

I've felt like this for a while, but my ability to suspend disbelief and just accept the idea that Mao Mao can't piece together him being royalty is beyond it's limit. No one talks about him the way they do the other eunuchs and he is held in an insanely high regard within the court, and all the women lust after him without making any qualifiers about it being a shame. And yet she never questions her original assumption, which also prevents her from piecing together the last piece of his lineage which is the main "Mystery" for the series as a whole. I still like the show, but this aspect feels a lot like the dense protagonist in a harem anime.
FYI it was mentioned earlier but he's not merely a head eunuch but his role is actually head manager of the inner palace. He's someone the emperor trusts to act as his proxy(while his past may be connected to it, most people just think he's the emperor's old buddy or someone who did him a big favor, while he's in this role). He approves all intake and his job is to test the consorts and weed out any and all problems thus the insane amount of paperwork. Also why he meddles in all the weird going ons. And no, everyone does think he's a enuch just a hot one.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I must be as dense as Maomao because you just made me realize it 😅

Typhonsentra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FYI it was mentioned earlier but he's not merely a head eunuch but his role is actually head manager of the inner palace. He's someone the emperor trusts to act as his proxy(while his past may be connected to it, most people just think he's the emperor's old buddy or someone who did him a big favor, while he's in this role). He approves all intake and his job is to test the consorts and weed out any and all problems thus the insane amount of paperwork. Also why he meddles in all the weird going ons. And no, everyone does think he's a enuch just a hot one.
I don't think it's supposed to be a secret or anything.

Remember that he was going to make an appearance in the position next to the emperor at the tea ceremony, but he was just late and it was canceled due to the poisoning.Also as far as I recall, Mao Mao is the only person to ever refer to Jinshi as a eunuch, and never out loud to another person to avoid her being corrected.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't think it's supposed to be a secret or anything.

Remember that he was going to make an appearance in the position next to the emperor at the tea ceremony, but he was just late and it was canceled due to the poisoning.Also as far as I recall, Mao Mao is the only person to ever refer to Jinshi as a eunuch, and never out loud to another person to avoid her being corrected.
Ok so I am a manga reader as well so future spoilers, don't go in if you don't want mild spoilers
He wears a mask/veil whenever he shows up as the emperor's brother. Nobody knows they're the same person, it is a secret, he's the sickly brother who stays out of the limelight so he can avoid politics and do this job. Also he his masquerading as a enuch and even uses drugs to suppress his libido/urges while he's in this role.

Typhonsentra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I am a manga reader as well so future spoilers, don't go in if you don't want mild spoilers
He wears a mask/veil whenever he shows up as the emperor's brother. Nobody knows they're the same person, it is a secret, he's the sickly brother who stays out of the limelight so he can avoid politics and do this job. Also he his masquerading as a enuch and even uses drugs to suppress his libido/urges while he's in this role.
I appreciate the information on the manga. It feels like this comes across very differently from what the show has given us of the relationship so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.