• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
What happened with Smyths, out of curiosity? They were where I ultimately got my PS5 and I found the service excellent. And they've been great the handful of other times I've used them for games — a couple of in demand titles that were more expensive elsewhere but I could click and collect no problem.

It was not so much them as Klarna who messed me about when I tried to order an Xbox. Harsh as it may sound, I now actively avoid any retailer that offers Klarna as a payment method, so pissed off I was with them.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a situation where I would like a PS5, but I also know that there's not enough games out for it right now that I'm willing to drop that amount of money to play. I'd love to play Astro and have a better PS4 experience but for the time being I'll just wait it out and see what happens. I also don't blame Sony for the issues people are having getting one as the demand is unprecedented and the pandemic isn't making anything easier. Will see if I can hold out for a year or so and pick one up when supply catches up with demand and there's more games out I'm interested in.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Definitely got mentally broken, regarding not being able to buy a PS5 the normal way. Had my pre order back then, the very first seconds it was available at a big German store. Everything seemed fine until one day before release of the console.
When I called them, they told me there was an error in the system and my order doesn't even exist.

Still to this day, I can still see my PS5 order, still saying delivery on release day, lol.
Sometimes I thought about buying a scalper one, like yesterday.
When I woke up today, I told myself "fuck it" and bought 5 Switch games instead. Paper Mario, Bravely Default 2, Luigis Mansion 3, Mario 3D World and Monster Hunter Rise.

Now I feel better.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Just going to wait till next year to have the NVME capabilities and hopefully just walk into store to pick it up.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I thought about getting it for launch because of Astrobot and Demon's Souls, but I don't feel too bad about it rn. I can wait until there's more games out that interest me and the price is back to normal/discounted.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The shortage situation is absolutely ridiculous. I check Twitter for the PS5/Xbox Series X drops and even if it's 10-15 minutes after it's posted, it's sold out.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The shortage situation is absolutely ridiculous. I check Twitter for the PS5/Xbox Series X drops and even if it's 10-15 minutes after it's posted, it's sold out.
Set Twitter push notifications for those accounts. That'd be too late for literally any limited item like Pokémon cards or collector's editions of Nintendo games let alone a PS5.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Personally at this point I can wait till late this year or even next year. I am really hoping though to get a Series X before Halo Infinite releases.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I got extremely worn down and then completely over it from January until a couple of weeks ago. I got incredibly lucky one night via Amazon. The whole process has sucked ass from Day 1. I also don't think the console in its current state is capable of matching the hype that grows from chasing one down or fantasizing about owning one. I ultimately just feel this lingering disappointment about the whole experience for now.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Not even going to try until around the holidays when I may be able to actually walk into a store and trade in my Pro and walk out with a PS5 in one transaction.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I got one after like 5 weeks of actively trying but it was largely due to having a job where I'm in front of a computer the whole time so the second a twitter/discord alert went out I'd immediately try to jump on it. If you don't have access to a PC 24/7 (or you live in a region that isn't getting much shipments period) then you're just shit out of luck.

If you really want to do it, you have to commit to setting up Twitter/Telegram/Discord alerts and being ready to pounce the second you get one.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Came across someone selling 21 of them...fucking why

I hate people

and they want to sell them in bulk, 15k

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I gave up and bought a Series S instead. Will patiently wait until the holiday season instead, perhaps the digital version will have a $100 price drop by then.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Yeah.

After months of searching I finally caved the one time I had the opportunity to buy a refurb, but even then, whenever there's been an opportunity to try and grab a new one I've followed up on it just to see how much longer I would've had to have waited if I hadn't pulled the trigger on that refurb, and even *then* I still haven't had any luck, which has made me even more grateful for having found that refurb in the first place (especially with Resident Evil and Ratchet & Clank on the horizon).

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
This isn't wearing me down nor am I actuall looking for a PS5 currently, but I do money saved up for it in an account I've added to for a few years. I've decided to just reset my PS5 funds though and spend them on something else. I'll probably buy one when/if there is a slim revision in a few years when I've saved up the amount again. Or maybe a Pro, but I don't think I want a bigger system than the PS5 already is.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Got close to finally sourcing a series X last night, which are only slightly more plentiful than PS5s over here. Got one in my basket and just didn't pay quick enough. So close!

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, could be a blessing in disguise. I always like to wait at least a year anyways to see what kind of potential hardware problems emerge. Have had issues with every gen of hardware since ps1. Recently had to go through the pain of endlessly troubleshooting my xbox one x because it wouldn't start properly and every time I tried a fix listed on the xbox support website I got a different error code. E102, E101, E106, jesus lol. Finally got it to work but instead of it doing the normal startup sequence it always did, it's just a black screen until the dashboard miraculously appears. So yeah I'll wait ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Managed to source a Series X today, so that is one of two I've managed to get. PS5s seem even rarer.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't seen a next gen (current gen already?) in person or in any digital shop for sale. It's a bit ridiculous honestly.

The long nightmare is over.... maybe.
OP
OP
ryan13ts

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I think I finally did it guys. I had literally given up completely trying to get one, to the point where I wasn't even bothering looking at notifications anymore, when my ex texted me in a hurry telling me to go to Best Buy since they had some in stock. I didn't even want to bother, but he gave me a kick in the ass to just try, so I gave it a shot and..... holy fucking shit, it let me order one.

I'm still in disbelief that I actually got to even get through checkout finally. Still very apprehensive since I've heard oh so many stories of joy at getting an order, then it being cancelled, but hopefully this will finally be the end of this months long nightmare.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just tried it on Best Buy and it didn't go through...no matter how many fucking times I tried, it kept saying that I had to go through one more step. Stayed on the page even until the icon turned yellow. It changed to yellow and I'm clicking on my iPad like a mad man, but it just displays that stupid message.

Before I know it, it's out of stock.

Man this sucks :(

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
I think I finally did it guys. I had literally given up completely trying to get one, to the point where I wasn't even bothering looking at notifications anymore, when my ex texted me in a hurry telling me to go to Best Buy since they had some in stock. I didn't even want to bother, but he gave me a kick in the ass to just try, so I gave it a shot and..... holy fucking shit, it let me order one.

I'm still in disbelief that I actually got to even get through checkout finally. Still very apprehensive since I've heard oh so many stories of joy at getting an order, then it being cancelled, but hopefully this will finally be the end of this months long nightmare.

Congrats hopefully everything works out and you will have the PS5 soon

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Congratulations :)

Unfortunately I'm not so lucky, I tried it on Best Buy too but no matter how many times I tried, it wouldn't process my checkout. Kept displaying the "wait for extra step" message, but it wouldn't proceed.

Before I know it, it's all gone. :(

Nov 27, 2017
California
Yeah but eh it's cool, I'll just wait
Think of it this way
The longer you wait the more the games will be discounted

only bad this is that PS+ now collection of games might go away

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I got it a few months ago thanks to my job. I work for a company that does the website of a phone/internet operator. They also sell PS consoles. Got notified when they received 50 more, then forgot about it and checked a few hours late. Was still in stock, because nobody refreshes a phone operator's eshop looking for console stock, lol. Could have even bought it with a significant discount if I bought a plan along with it (ah, there's the reason they sell it in the first place) but I was already a customer so bought it for retail price instead.

Arrived the next day.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was definitely frustrated about not being able to find a PS5 last winter. Then I splurged on a gaming PC and completely don't care anymore. I'll probably buy a console at some point, but whereas I was originally going to be all-in on the PS5 on day one, now I have no idea when I'll get around to it or even if I'll bother with Sony at all. I'm thinking I'd rather wait and see how things shake out with Bethesda.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Honestly I've settled on tapping out and just waiting. Waiting to hear for some more QOL updates and hopefully for the Dualsense to get the back button attachment accessory. I got plenty of games in my backlog to tie me over.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried it on Best Buy and it didn't go through...no matter how many fucking times I tried, it kept saying that I had to go through one more step. Stayed on the page even until the icon turned yellow. It changed to yellow and I'm clicking on my iPad like a mad man, but it just displays that stupid message.

Before I know it, it's out of stock.

Man this sucks :(

This was my experience too.

Also, fuck Walmart. Had actually managed to purchase a Series X (I know this is a PS5 thread but I need to vent) and they cancelled it due to suspicious activity. Contacted support and they said it was my bank that declined it, but there's ZERO notifications or holds due to suspicions on my Chase account. So pissed.

OP
OP
ryan13ts

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Congratulations :)

Unfortunately I'm not so lucky, I tried it on Best Buy too but no matter how many times I tried, it wouldn't process my checkout. Kept displaying the "wait for extra step" message, but it wouldn't proceed.

Before I know it, it's all gone. :(

That's what it did for me for the longest too, I honestly just thought 'Yep, another failure' and then it popped back up for add to cart. Sorry it wouldn't let you get one though :(

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was my experience too.

Also, fuck Walmart. Had actually managed to purchase a Series X (I know this is a PS5 thread but I need to vent) and they cancelled it due to suspicious activity. Contacted support and they said it was my bank that declined it, but there's ZERO notifications or holds due to suspicions on my Chase account. So pissed.

Damn that really sucks, especially the Xbox scenario. Sorry to hear about that. :(

That's what it did for me for the longest too, I honestly just thought 'Yep, another failure' and then it popped back up for add to cart. Sorry it wouldn't let you get one though :(

It's not the end of the world. I'll keep trying and if I get one I'll get one, if I don't then I don't and I might end up with a PS5 Pro. Just like how it happened with the PS4 (which I didn't even get until over 3 years after the original system launched lol). I do have my snazzy gaming PC I just built with a 3090, so I'm grateful for that. Not to mention there being TONS of games I still need to work through lol.

Either way, enjoy your new system! Hope for an uneventful delivery lol.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been watching best buy for weeks, these fucks drop stock at 4pm est....while I'm driving home

I'm about done with this console generation and it hasn't even really started yet.

MDR

Jun 21, 2018
I got an xbox series s while i wait for the ps5/xsx shortages to end but i realized a series s is enough for me lol. Maybe next year i will reconsider.

rhino4evr

Oct 31, 2017
I signed up for Twitter notifications and got a PS5 on the first "drop" a few months ago with GameStop. Had to buy a bundle with 2 controllers , Spider-Man, and a $50 gift card but I wanted all that anyway. Used the $50 gift card towards RE8. Possibly I got lucky, but I'm seen a ton of drops since. If you apply yourself you will be rewarded

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my lord Jesus I need to vent.

So the PS5 went back into stock at Best Buy, and this time, I actually got it in my cart for checkout and everything!

But then, it gives this error message saying that the console is "not available within 250 miles" for in store pickup, and doesn't let me proceed…what the fuck is this shit?!

Why screw with me like this and tell me it's available when technically, it isn't! For shits and giggles, I also tried out California and Colorado, same exact message.

I think this is a sign from God, God does not want me buying a PS5 lol.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So……I'm still trying to process this, but I think I was able to get a PS5! From the random drop that Sam's Club made last night.

My credit card even shows a pending charge, so something's definitely happening!

Please someone tell me they didn't have some weird problem with getting a PS5 from Sam's club online lol. I'm paranoid now that it might get canceled or something lol.