• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Acti would implode if the deal gets blocked so maybe it's a bit of that too, if they think there's a 20% chance to lose 40$ per share I can see a lot of these big funds not taking that bet

Ofc I'm 100% ignorant of how any of this works
They were doing just fine before the deal was announced, I don't see why it wouldn't go right back to where it was. Investors were confident in how the business was beiong run prior to the deal announcement.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Even if the deal doesn't go through the stock is gonna jump when they report MW2 sales, Warzone 2 players, Overwatch 2 player base, Diablo Immortal player base. Like there is so many things coming up for the company to make the stock jump and they have been at $95 before. The stock used to be constantly lower before.

Deleted member 98695

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
They might have to go to court to fight it but no way it doesn't go through.

This is one of the only times not being market leader really helps their case and if Sony buys a publisher during the time of the close it should be even easier to make it go through.

Yeah. I cannot see the federal courts (which are mostly republican appointees) overturning 40 years of anti-trust jurisprudence to stop MS from acquiring a video game company.

People need to realize this is not the same as Nvidia/Arm. Arm's technology is used in essentially all mobile devices, and Nvidia has like 80% of the GPU market. That was two monopolies joining together in ways that would further entrench their existing monopolies. Neither MS nor Activision has monopolies in the gaming space, and this deal does not protect Windows or Office (which are MS's two areas of dominance).

Keep in mind that Jason also said with conviction that this deal was horizontal integration and would be blocked when it was first announced. While there is an element of horizontal integration, that is not all the main issue here given the fact that neither MS nor Activision is a monopoly in game publishing. I think Jason overestimates his own understanding of these matters.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Activision stock would be in free fall if this doesn't go through
I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up having to peace-meal sell of the different IPs/Developers just to recover some of the Shareholder value.

If they are forced to start closing down some of the dev shops, I'm not so sure that's the best look for the government

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why is Wall Street/investors expecting it to fall? Cause of the bad quarter/stock price or the new bullish FTC?

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't see why the shareholders would vote against this

If this deal fails, it will be because of government regulations. And I think there's only a 15% chance of that happening.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a degenerate gambler, but I am not taking that bet.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the relatively low chance it does fail Activision's stock will be trash since their results have mostly just gotten worse lately so skepticism is justified.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Acti stock would drop more of this fails right? So sure I guess some people are selling but doesn't that mean some people are also buying?

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Gamers will never vote Democrat again if the Biden Administration sabotages their precious Game Pass.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I Believe it will, the rich get what they want in the US, but if it did fail at the very least for one small moment we could all rejoice as Kotick wonders sadly "where will I get my moneybags and my next yacht" before he calls Meta for the next bid.

If somehow it did fail, would Microsoft have to pay a bunch anyway? Like how Nvidia paid a fee to ARM?

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
The stock has been in the low 80's/upper 70's since January, there is no movement to dictate anything

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I'd rather have MS buy Activision than this deal failing and MS taking their $70b elsewhere and buy a publisher I potentially care about.
Well, I'd rather have MS not buying anyone.
Though I think this will go through, I'm sure MS has done their research before announcing the acquisition.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Maybe I should buy some ABK stock, I'm pretty sure this is going to go through

Tis is what I am wondering. If the chances of it going through are high, why aren't people buying up heaps of stocks? I feel it can't be very risky then for potential stock traders.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Wallstreet is wrong all the fucking time. If it was vegas betting it would fail I would be far more worried.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The market is frequently irrational, not worth trying to read it like tea lives on something this complex.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Wall Street/investors expecting it to fall? Cause of the bad quarter/stock price or the new bullish FTC?

It's not so much that they expect it to fail as that's it not perceived to be the absolute locked-in certainty that would see its share price trading closer to the offer price. There is a degree of risk being priced in, but that doesn't mean people necessarily think it will fail... just that there's a degree of uncertainty. And that higher degree of risk is due to FTC/regulatory concern.

It's being rounded out in the headline as 'market expects this to fail', but I think the reality is about degrees of risk and uncertainty, rather than any great certainty about it failing.

Why would shares ever trade for what Microsoft is going to buy them at?

They wouldn't, but they're apparently at a significant discount vs the offer price compared to other acquisitions in recent years.

None of this is new though, wrt the discount and what it means about market sentiment... it's been like this since the acquisition was announced - I think Bloomberg is just noting it again because there's another milestone in the process today, in the shareholder vote (which is fully expected to pass).

Last edited:

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of scrutiny surrounding the deal but all the arguments don't really seem hold any legal ground to me. Most of them boil down to something like 'we feel like this might be bad somehow' without having concrete arguments and examples to illustrate their points.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
That article is really sparse with details and provides little new info. It's just a rehash so say the vote is today. Just a clickbaity headline to me.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of scrutiny surrounding the deal but all the arguments don't really seem hold any legal ground to me. Most of them boil down to something like 'we feel like this might be bad somehow' without having concrete arguments and examples to illustrate their points.
And not to mention that Sony has announced their own competitor to Game Pass already. But if the FTC is willing to overstep their legal boundaries and look into worker conditions that is on them and it's up to MS to decide if they push back. Remains to be seen what the FTC does but we might know more before the end of the year.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
The stock is still up 13% from the point the acquisition was announced, as stock that was going downhill. This reads more like a pessimistic speculation than actual news. This won't fall through.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't activision just announce poor sales and a loss? I would think that has something to do with this.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The stock is still up 13% from the point the acquisition was announced, as stock that was going downhill. This reads more like a pessimistic speculation than actual news. This won't fall through.
It's up 13% in a year where everything is down and Activision just announced a poor report. Gives me even more confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.