• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not even halfway through but had to jump in to say ...

again ashley. Again. "I grab her and slowly pull her onto the sword muahehehe" she's done the same fucking thing every time she has a how do you want to do this. Such a stupid nitpick of mine and worthless criticism but GODAMNIT lol ...

CHOP THAT CAT IN HALF ALREADY WTF

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That episode had a lot going on to make up for all the waffling that has occurred recently.

I was interested to see how Matt was going to make Cree more of a threat to the Nein, especially if she rolled poorly in initiative. And wouldn't you know it, she did, so no Fire Storm or Dominate Person (Blood Cleric spell) to cause a potential down or two for the heavily weakened party + 1. I figured Lucien would intervene, either temporarily dominating Beau or Caleb for a round to just tease the risk the eyes posed through or working through Cree with some sort of tacked on legendary actions. Turns out it just went the Obann route of Lucien transforming Cree into a monster once they brought her down initially. Normally that would feel a bit rote, but Matt throwing in the patterns of the Somnovum as a consequence was a nice touch.

So now all but Jester and Yasha have at least one eye, including Essek. It'll be interesting to see where things develop there, especially with the ending of the episode.

Caleb and Essek messing with a dunamis crystal to manipulate time to give them the benefits of a long rest was oddly tense. Glad they found a way to access the Level 15 goods and recharge without ruining the pacing of Lucien running about.

The one distraction that occurred was Yussa, but that felt earned given that they were at fault for his predicament and likely left him plenty of issues for if he managed to return. So it was nice they did him a solid in rescuing him. Banishment was a clever way to handle it in general, but also was a good way too expedite the process to get back to task. Hopefully the gratitude of the rescue helps balance out the news that the Cerberus Assembly assaulted his tower, at minimum, because of their antics.

RIP the Somnovum though. It was smart to keep Lucien the focus, but it is a bit of a shame how built up they were that we only met 3 or so individually and didn't get to figure more about the schism that was occurring among them. Lucien taking the wheels of the bus by killing the rest of the drivers to become the BBEG instead was a cool twist, and leaves things in an interesting place between him and the Nein as he wished them to live from the bombing that eliminated the Somnovum. Still interested in how the Molly stuff that was coming about plays into things now that we know at least of the shifts were legit.

Hoping this high continues after the drudge that was Eiselcross, and that the arc concludes at the better end of the spectrum.

Oct 29, 2017
What I wonder if all this time Matt had already planned that Lucien would try to use the mines to kill the Somnovum. He already carried a number of them since the surface, but I'm not sure if they were only a few that alone couldn't do the trick. Probably his original intention was to use his companions, but given his current circumstances he had to improvise, which produced a much more dramatic scene.

But in the case that he always planned to use the mines, then they were right in front of the M9 all this time, and I don't think they ever stopped to ask themselves if those mines could be part of his plan, and who could be the target, when they stole his first stash. If this was set on modern setting we all would have probably had asked that immediately, as they always do in action movies when heroes find a stash of explosives on a bad guy.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Man, if there's a Tharizdun connection behind all of this Matt is handling it so well in terms of balancing how much to give away. Cree melting into a puddle similar to what happened to Obann, all the Somnovum members dropping hints of oblivion, etc.

I feel like the cast is not considering it as a possibility, but the reveal will feel extremely earned if it is the case.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Man, if there's a Tharizdun connection behind all of this Matt is handling it so well in terms of balancing how much to give away. Cree melting into a puddle similar to what happened to Obann, all the Somnovum members dropping hints of oblivion, etc.

I feel like the cast is not considering it as a possibility, but the reveal will feel extremely earned if it is the case.

Yes, Tharizdun is still an issue, as are Ukatoa and the like, whose imagery also evoke the 9 eyes. I know some are thinking this campaign might be coming to a close, and its possible Matt could save this particular threat for a future campaign. Beyond that, if Lucien succeeds, that will extend his plotline and they will still likely have to deal with Trent and the Cerberus Assembly. Wasn't it one of the Somnovem that mentioned the Nein was seeking someone and someone was seeking them? So there are at least a couple of places this campaign could go remaining, especially if the cast wants to hit or get close to Level 20.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
I can't help but nitpick some things.
If the Somnovum could make Lucien immune to psychic damage why wouldn't they make themselves immune as well?
If Cad had Antimagic Field why didn't he use it to charge with the whole group instead of running? They could have ended this whole affair right there.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but nitpick some things.
If the Somnovum could make Lucien immune to psychic damage why wouldn't they make themselves immune as well?
If Cad had Antimagic Field why didn't he use it to charge with the whole group instead of running? They could have ended this whole affair right there.
I can't help with the immunity bit, perhaps some of his power comes from the Chained Oblivion instead of only the city?

But for antimagic field, it is really up to Matt's ruling on whether it would work. Psychic damage isn't much of a focus in 5th edition. Anti magic field is supposed to stop spells and spell like effects, but it wouldn't stop dragon breath even though dragons seem pretty magical. So would it stop psychic damage from a bomb? It definitely would stop fireballs from a wand of fireballs, but this psychic damage is a made up item not similar to any spell.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
I can't help with the immunity bit, perhaps some of his power comes from the Chained Oblivion instead of only the city?

But for antimagic field, it is really up to Matt's ruling on whether it would work. Psychic damage isn't much of a focus in 5th edition. Anti magic field is supposed to stop spells and spell like effects, but it wouldn't stop dragon breath even though dragons seem pretty magical. So would it stop psychic damage from a bomb?
From the spell description: "Spells and other magical Effects, except those created by an artifact or a deity, are suppressed in the Sphere and can't protrude into it." and even going by Matt's past rulings simply nothing but real world physics works in these fields, not even racial abilities.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
This was a good episode, though Lucien stepping out of the shadows at the last minute felt a bit... cheap. I wonder how many episodes will be left of this arc? Could next week really be the end of it?

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Damn good episode.

Loved saving Yussa, all the eye fuckery, demolishing Cree and then dealing with the cree monster (i love how it gave ot more eyes on wisdom fails - great way to spread it around even more), Beau connecting to the SN and bailing when she got seen was great, the whole scene with the dunimancy rock and them exploiting it for an immediate long rest was just the right amount of a gimme from Matt in the form of Essek. Not too light a touch not too strong...

I was waiting for Matt to describe Lucien as having wings or looking even extra weird when he showed up but the throne of flesh was a nice touch instead. Also fantastic crazy person-joker laugh!

ALSO: Taliesin doing everyone a motherfuckin favor and taking juuuuuuust enough Percy out the bottle to shut down a bunch of useless worry wort shaking in their shoes horse shit and get the group in the right headspace. I love that Laura has been on the right page for so long but Jester is just too much of a little kid at heart to lay down a little no nonsense law and be like "Ya'll... stfu and lets do the damn thing already!"
So even if it had to come from the calmest cow in the land - at least the words got said. "Lets fucking end it."

Wild place to stop. Sitting in an all of a sudden quite vein of a giant evil flesh city. I agree i think it's.... a stretch... at best to sell that the SomNovum aren't also immune to psychic damage. But whatever. Lets march this crazy train forward and blow some shit up already.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
The Cree fight/threshold crest stuff was really good. It felt like the group was super competent for a moment, doing all the right things.

The long rest from the dunamis stone was kinda ehhhhh, but it as probably the best decision from Matt's POV. The group just leveled up, so they want access to their new stuff. Once they started talking about plane shifting out of Cognouza(sp?) into the Fey Wild, Matt needed to shut that shit down and keep them on track.

At that point they kind of talked around the idea of just fucking off and going home and I thought that was interesting. They kept mentioning that Lucien would just find another threshold crest and they'd have to do it all over again, but... how would that happen? Lucien is stuck. The gate they took to get here is closed and I seriously doubt that Lucien has access to plane shift. The idea that the city would just find another way to accomplish their goal seems kinda silly, when you consider they've been stuck in the Astral Sea for like a 1,000 years. If there was another solution, they would have done it already. But I think that's just Matt putting pressure on the players to End This Already.

Lucien's plan of using the charges to kill the Somnovum doesn't really make sense to me and feels like a last minute adjustment by Matt to get to the final encounter he wants. It's fine I guess.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
Once they started talking about plane shifting out of Cognouza(sp?) into the Fey Wild, Matt needed to shut that shit down and keep them on track.
I'm surprised Laura tried to use Artagan to get a free time warp. It's not the first time she tried to get him more directly involved either. She's the one that rightfully mocked Orion when he tried to call on his father's army to help VM because she understood it was an unfair advantage and against the spirit of the game even if it's technically a resource your character has access to.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised Laura tried to use Artagan to get a free time warp. It's not the first time she tried to get him more directly involved either. She's the one that rightfully mocked Orion when he tried to call on his father's army to help VM because she understood it was an unfair advantage and against the spirit of the game even if it's technically a resource your character has access to.
That's Matt's fault for introducing it. That should have been the kind of reveal done post-campaign. The idea that they're facing a world ending threat, while she has a demi god type sitting on her shoulder and she doesn't ask it for help is bananas.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode. Was actually real happy to see the Lucien twist at the end, because I've been increasingly wondering why he would actually want to help bring Cognouza back (beyond the idea that he isn't even really a person anymore and was wholly controlled by their will, which didn't really mesh with his characterization.) I'm totally cool with him wanting to murder all the pilots of flesh voltron so he can take sole control. Now what he intends to do after that is still up in the air I guess. Does he want to basically consume all reality into himself like the Somonvum did? Again, that doesn't really seem like the kind of thing that floats his boat, given his portrayal thus far.

Re: Artie, based on the way Matt RP's him as explicitly far from omniscient or omnipotent, I get the impression that he won't ever really provide any meaningful aid outside of actual spells Jester casts. I'm not worried about any (literal, I guess) deus ex machina stuff in that direction.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Been catching up with all the episodes I have missed about 6 episodes, and yeah it got waaaaay better especially now they have entered *The City* shit is absolutely fucking wild.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could have seen it live. I will have to check it out tonight. Narrative Telephone has been a fun series.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The new animated recap was great. I loved the summary of the bowl incident.

I have no idea what to expect for tomorrow. So much crazy stuff happened at the end of the last episode. After what happened to Cree it feels more and more like the Chained Oblivion has some influence here, but that might just be wishful thinking on my end.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I finally watched the last episode. Not too impressed with the extremely timely appearance of Lucien, and surprised that the Somnovem don't have psychic immunity. But other than that, great episode.
I was expecting a final boss fight of sorts, but I wonder what's even going to happen next episode. I assume they will run in, but will Lucien even be there…?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Also just got done with last weeks episode and fucking damn that was an episode. The ass whooping they gave Cree was magical, you now it's bad when you feel bad for the BBEG's sidekick. Clutch spells and rolls. A feel good moment and a big huge fuck you ending. Matt just been on another level too.

Really wondering what happens with the eyes, my theory is someone gives them through the Somonvem, not actually the Somonvem, they were just tricked, hence why monster Cree was giving them out like candy and given who the last person who got turned into a flesh abomination was unknowingly working for, it's a big oh boy moment, especially if it just takes 5 eyes to be turned.

Oct 29, 2017
Last narrative telephone was hilarious.

Aabria: Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder.
Liam: You can't have my strongest potions, Traveler. My strongest potions would kill a dragon let alone a man!

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
is1RxoI.png

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I hope if they do an epilogue, Sam just starts saying crazy shit happened they they eventually have to pay off in one shots and live shows and specials.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that the timing of C2 ending and Covid stuff seemingly winding down has them all really energized to dive into C3 with everyone back at the table relatively shortly. I absolutely adore the M9 and am sad that their story is coming to an end, but a new campaign starting up is always a ton of fun.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

Wow, that's surprising. I wonder how much they already have prepped for Campaign 3. I'm curious how the M9 will show up in the future. Will C3 have closer ties to C2? Will it be a bunch of one shots like Vox Machina or will it be structured more like a mini series like Undeadwood? I'm going to miss the M9, but it will be exciting to see what comes next.

I'm hoping that the timing of C2 ending and Covid stuff seemingly winding down has them all really energized to dive into C3 with everyone back at the table relatively shortly. I absolutely adore the M9 and am sad that their story is coming to an end, but a new campaign starting up is always a ton of fun.

I feel the same way. A new campaign is really exciting, and it will be great to have them back at the table. I'm a little sad C2 seems like it will end with them still socially distancing. I am absolutely ready to start wildly speculating on everyone's new characters and classes though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're definitely prepping C3 to launch near the animated series, and I imagine COVID took a lot of wind out of C2 as well sadly. But the signs are there and I'll be looking forward to seeing more of the M9 once this is over.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
While i'm still at the very beginning of S2, very tempted to jump in fresh with S3. It'd be nice to keep up with the week to week scheduling and enjoy the in between

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Really thought we'd get at least 1 of Uk'otoa or Trent (wasn't expecting both to be too long either), but I guess this being the last arc, doesn't necessarily mean it's ending very soon, so it could be a factor, as I expected this arc to only have a few episodes left at most.

Anyway looking forward to whatever their characters are in C3.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
At least it's confirmed now, so many dropped hints that people were overlooking.

I hope we get some more one shots and short campaigns in the interim, I absolutely loved Undeadwood and the Call of Cthulhu one shot.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
At least it's confirmed now, so many dropped hints that people were overlooking.

I hope we get some more one shots and short campaigns in the interim, I absolutely loved Undeadwood and the Call of Cthulhu one shot.

That would be great. Their little stretch of one shots and taking turns DMing was a lot of fun. I think the Grog DM session was the first full episode I ever watched. I know we've had a lot of body horror lately, but I still want another horror one shot. A new Call of Cthulhu game would be a blast.