• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They can't just spice 2 and 3 up as they do 4. This is a whole new project, and two more, if they do it like that and most likely will if they succeed with the first one, will take them a whole lotta years.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
They can't just spice 2 and 3 up as they do 4. This is a whole new project, and two more, if they do it like that and most likely will if they succeed with the first one, will take them a whole lotta years.
honestly, I doubt that. Right now there are 2 scenarios in my head.

• Remake Dead Space 1, see how it does sales wise, and if it does well, make a direct sequel to dead space 3 (I think this is unlikely)
  • Remake Dead Space 1 and 2, and then having a do over on Dead Space 3 where you are essentially making a brand new game
As for it taking a whole lotta years, while this could slip into 2023, I honestly think it has a better shot than people give it credit for, for a 2022 release. Grubb was the first person who hinted at this happening, and the latest from him is "you'll see gameplay soon, like later this year soon."

if we see gameplay later this year I would be shocked if this doesn't come out sometime in October of next year at the latest.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

• Remake Dead Space 1, see how it does sales wise, and if it does well, make a direct sequel to dead space 3 (I think this is unlikely)
  • Remake Dead Space 1 and 2, and then having a do over on Dead Space 3 where you are essentially making a brand new game
As for it taking a whole lotta years, while this could slip into 2023, I honestly think it has a better shot than people give it credit for, for a 2022 release. Grubb was the first person who hinted at this happening, and the latest from him is "you'll see gameplay soon, like later this year soon."

if we see gameplay later this year I would be shocked if this doesn't come out sometime in October of next year at the latest.
The game's creative director, Roman Campos-Oriola, left Ubisoft last October. I'd be pretty shocked if they made it to 2022, especially as they're not just porting things over but remaking everything, and considering 2021 was still a pandemic year. Assuming he joined the team at early production or pre-production (since Motive was just finishing Squadrons), it's two years of development.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
The game's creative director, Roman Campos-Oriola, left Ubisoft last October. I'd be pretty shocked if they made it to 2022, especially as they're not just porting things over but remaking everything, and considering 2021 was still a pandemic year.
We'll see I guess, I didn't know that re the director.

I'd just imagine the game not being the longest would, help tremendously, but also, they are remaking the assets in Frostbite.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see I guess, I didn't know that re the director.

I'd just imagine the game not being the longest would, help tremendously, but also, they are remaking the assets in Frostbite.
To be fair, we still don't know how big is the scope of the remake. If Isaac talks, the way you get missions changes. Instead of non-engineers telling an engineer what to do, he needs to tell the player what to do. A no-cuts experience like God of War probably means the tram is gone or they'll add setpieces to it while you move. Zero-G areas will definitely need to change to work with the new movement system.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
To be fair, we still don't know how big is the scope of the remake. If Isaac talks, the way you get missions changes. Instead of non-engineers telling an engineer what to do, he needs to tell the player what to do. A no-cuts experience like God of War probably means the tram is gone or they'll add setpieces to it while you move. Zero-G areas will definitely need to change to work with the new movement system.
oh yeah, for sure. I was saying that under the assumption that it would be 1:1 with some (but not massive) story changes.

if they voice Issac, make changes to the ship to make it more interconnected (and in doing so get rid of the tram) you can forget about 2022.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Motive made Star Wars Squadrons with VR...

Horror and VR works exceptionally well together.

Could Dead Space have a VR mode with positional audio?
Dead Space is damn near perfect for VR. I borrowed so much design from Dead Space for my VR games.

The slower traversal, the diegetic UI, lack of music, and emphasis on sfx are all so in-line with what a VR game needs to work. Plus, kinesis is so useful to have, even Half Life added its own version of it for Alyx.

I know Medal of Honor bombed so I figured EA likely wouldn't dive back into AAA VR again anytime soon, but if they do they seriously have the absolute perfect fit for it in Dead Space.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure I understand why some folks think the trams might be gone now, rather than them being one of the areas where Motive might expand them, like actually show you traversal this time and give you a better sense of the interior of the Ishimura.

Also, they can be areas of respite where you can feel safer between areas... until you aren't.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I understand why some folks think the trams might be gone now rather one of the areas where Motive might expand them, like actually show you traversal this time and give you a better sense of the interior of the Ishimura.

Also, they can be areas of respite where you can feel safer between areas... until you aren't.
I think these are the two possibilities. I do think the latter is more likely, with setpieces to avoid repetition.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I could see them doing the remake of 1, then a good remaster of 2, then being given some rope to reshape 3. That's would I would hope for, anyway.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

This remake will be out no sooner than 23 I think. Which means that DS2 remake would land circa 25-26. And we're out of generation essentially. Maybe this is the plan? Do two remakes this gen and a full reboot of DS3 on next gen?

DS2 i can live with although I'd prefer a completely different story evolution. DS3 should just be dumped into trash and everyone could pretend it never happened.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
This remake will be out no sooner than 23 I think. Which means that DS2 remake would land circa 25-26. And we're out of generation essentially. Maybe this is the plan? Do two remakes this gen and a full reboot of DS3 on next gen?

DS2 i can live with although I'd prefer a completely different story evolution. DS3 should just be dumped into trash and everyone could pretend it never happened.
I would imagine if the plan is to remake DS2 immediately after, it would take a bit less time, just due to some of the work being done on DS1 in terms of the move to frostbite.

perhaps they can reuse a decent number of the assets?

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see them doing the remake of 1, then a good remaster of 2, then being given some rope to reshape 3. That's would I would hope for, anyway.
Remaster is impossible. The Dead Space games used the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games' proprietary engine. For a remaster to work, devs would need to go back to it and update it to support the newest platforms. Except there's probably no one left at EA that knows how to use that engine. It'd be different if it was something like Unreal Engine.

Anything related to Dead Space 2 and 3 need to be remakes or reimaginings.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Remaster is impossible. The Dead Space games used the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games' proprietary engine. For a remaster to work, devs would need to go back to it and update it to support the newest platforms. Except there's probably no one left at EA that knows how to use that engine. It'd be different if it was something like Unreal Engine.

Anything related to Dead Space 2 and 3 need to be remakes or reimaginings.
Ah I thought at least 3 had made it into frostbite but I suppose not.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I understand why some folks think the trams might be gone now, rather than them being one of the areas where Motive might expand them, like actually show you traversal this time and give you a better sense of the interior of the Ishimura.

At worst the tram might still be in but it will work like in Dead Space 2, seamless transition.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure someone posts it yet

www.ea.com

Meet the Team Leading the Remake of Dead Space

Read time: 7 mins | Learn how inspiration, innovation, and collaboration are bringing the beloved game back to life.

This interview confirms Dead Space Remake isn't a Reboot or Re-imagining.
It's a modern version of the 2008/original game.
This sounds even more like RE1 remake which (to my understanding) used the same level design and general gameplay but added some significant things to it. This really makes the most sense for Dead Space 1 because the game's fundamentals still hold up today.
I'm still really unclear if this means they're making changes to stuff like level design or encounters. I think it would be a huge missed opportunity to just recreate the game with "new parts" but keep the same exact level layouts and the same level based structure. That was the weakest part of the game because it both made the ship feel less like a real environment, and contributed to making the game feel fairly repetitive as each time you got on the train to the next level the pacing resets and each area builds and crescendos in the same way. Making the Ishimura a more seamless, interconnected level like the REmake 2 RPD would do such wonders for the game.

I'll take it. For all people try to prop up Dead Space as a real work of survival horror, I always found the almost total linearity of it (and focus on arena battles) to work against that moniker, so I think at the very least adding/changing the existing levels can hopefully only be a good thing in regards to making it more of a survival horror game than a half-cocked action-horror.

The game does hold up really well, but it being broken up into short, discrete levels separated with loading screens definitely feels like a technological concession that next gen SSD's could completely eliminate.
This is honestly what I was thinking about too. When I played the original game I was a bit disappointed in how linear it was -- how you couldn't go back to previous parts of the ship. It would be nice to over time make the whole ship explorable like in System Shock 2 or like the mansion in RE1.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The structure of the original game was perfect. No pointless wandering about already explored areas please. This will lead to the usual design issues like respawning enemies and enemy leveling and static environments which cannot be affected by player actions in any significant fashion. Don't make it open world.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Well into Dead Space 2 in my trilogy replay. Dead Space 1 had some really clunky control things that 2 immediately fixes. 2 is definitely a game that - if remade in this new engine - should basically be identical. It's damn near perfect. I played so much 2 back in the day that it's basically burned into my muscle memory. I'll be interested to see how I feel about 3 once I get there. I only played it at launch back in the day.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The structure of the original game was perfect. No pointless wandering about already explored areas please. This will lead to the usual design issues like respawning enemies and enemy leveling and static environments which cannot be affected by player actions in any significant fashion. Don't make it open world.
The design of Dead Space can fit quite neatly into "wide linear" game design tropes.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The design of Dead Space can fit quite neatly into "wide linear" game design tropes.
Wide linear here would have to become a full fledged RPG with immersive sim gameplay which would basically make the game into System Shock from which it has started.
Doubtful that this is what DS fans have in mind when they think about DS remake.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Wide linear here would have to become a full fledged RPG with immersive sim gameplay which would basically make the game into System Shock from which it has started.
Doubtful that this is what DS fans have in mind when they think about DS remake.

Not at all? It could easily slot into Resident Evil style level design where you have a few different corridors at any given time to get to your objective and make you plan out which route you're going to take based on the risks/rewards of enemy placement, length of the path, and your resources. This would add both tension and immersion to the formula, and make those "hidden" doors a lot more satisfying since each area wouldn't just be a straight line. I never once had to even use my map in Dead Space it was so linear, so expanding its levels would also make that function more useful. It would make it more of a survival horror game than an action horror game, and certainly not an immersive sim RPG, and from what I can tell people want Dead Space to be a survival horror.

I'm not sure what you mean with your other posts about open levels leading to enemy respawn and leveling issues and static environments, none of which would be an issue (again, just look at Resident Evil). The enemies don't even have levels to begin with as its not an RPG, and having new threats or environmental changes pop up in previous locations is a great way to make the ship constantly feel tense and alive. For example having something happen that blocks a previous shortcut and forces you to take more dangerous routes is something that is used to great effect in some of the Resident Evil games (like the broken doorknob in the first REmake) and could be replicated in some way here. Or making some hallways exposed to outer space after their windows are blasted apart making you use up precious oxygen. There's a ton of different ways they could go about that design that would enhance what Dead Space is all about.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

Not at all? It could easily slot into Resident Evil style level design where you have a few different corridors at any given time to get to your objective and make you plan out which route you're going to take based on the risks/rewards of enemy placement, length of the path, and your resources. This would add both tension and immersion to the formula, and make those "hidden" doors a lot more satisfying since each area wouldn't just be a straight line. I never once had to even use my map in Dead Space it was so linear, so expanding its levels would also make that function more useful. It would make it more of a survival horror game than an action horror game, and certainly not an immersive sim RPG, and from what I can tell people want Dead Space to be a survival horror.

I'm not sure what you mean with your other posts about open levels leading to enemy respawn and leveling issues and static environments, none of which would be an issue (again, just look at Resident Evil). The enemies don't even have levels to begin with as its not an RPG, and having new threats or environmental changes pop up in previous locations is a great way to make the ship constantly feel tense and alive. For example having something happen that blocks a previous shortcut and forces you to take more dangerous routes is something that is used to great effect in some of the Resident Evil games (like the broken doorknob in the first REmake) and could be replicated in some way here. Or making some hallways exposed to outer space after their windows are blasted apart making you use up precious oxygen. There's a ton of different ways they could go about that design that would enhance what Dead Space is all about.
Full-on 3rd person System Shock would be dope as fuck if they could actually do it.

But as I suggested earlier another cool option would be to make it simply like the mansion on RE1 or the RPD in RE2 where you slowly explore and unlock the different parts of the ship, learning where the dangers are and planning your route. Another option would be to make it Metroidvania-like.

But from these latest interviews it sounds like it's gonna be more similar to the original game with some cut content and concepts added back in.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Full-on 3rd person System Shock would be dope as fuck if they could actually do it.

But as I suggested earlier another cool option would be to make it simply like the mansion on RE1 or the RPD in RE2 where you slowly explore and unlock the different parts of the ship, learning where the dangers are and planning your route. Another option would be to make it Metroidvania-like.

But from these latest interviews it sounds like it's gonna be more similar to the original game with some cut content and concepts added back in.
Yeah, I think Dead Space could easily fit in a Metroidvania format - not only do you gain important suit upgrades that let you visit previously unreachable areas (oxygen tank, zero-g capabilities, telekinesis system), much of the game is about restoring power/life support/etc to assorted areas of the Ishimura in order to make them reachable at all. And the original game does, in fact, have a tiny bit of backtracking to let you visit an early-game area again toward the end.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I loved Dead Space. Thought it was a good game. But I just don't see the need for a remake right now. IMO not much to the first game for a remake. I think a Dead Space 3 would be better for next gen and with new ideas, more content, and better scares.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think you do a straight remake of 1, and then you have 2 be a much looser remake that sets up a completely new dead space 3.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
So RE4 is getting a remake, and the original inspired both Dead Space and The Last of Us, who are also getting remakes. Jeez…

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
LOL For Peoples thinks EA Motive will Retcon Dead Space 3.

According to the IGN/EA interview, EA Motive respect all Visceral Games work and Lore of the Series.

That means If They do Dead Space 3 Remake. It's will be the same story.

Issac and Carver go on adventure tau volantis and brother moons awenkend.

I think a Dead Space 3 would be better for next gen and with new ideas, more content, and better scares.

If they do,

I think the gameplay will be more intense in Solo mode and Carver's will gets a hallucination through the campaign in COOP mode, not just side mission.

Also, no more love triangle and universal ammo.

Last edited:

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
So RE4 is getting a remake, and the original inspired both Dead Space and The Last of Us, who are also getting remakes. Jeez…
Yes!
maybe less expensive them make totally new games.
I honestly don't like this.
remake classics from PS1 or even sometimes PS2 era where visuals and gameplay were really limited ok.
But games from PS3/PS4 era that even if not so advanced are still modern games, honestly doesn't see the appeal.
Just go for sequels, or other games inside that same universe or new IPs. Much better options in my opinion.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The voice direction in 2 is still tough to beat. All of the performances are fantastic and naturalistic and Isaac doesn't walk around talking to himself for the sake of it, which is incredibly refreshing. No "BOY I HOPE THIS LEVER WORKS" or "NOW TO FIND MY WAY TO THE WHATEVER". He talks when he's talking to someone, otherwise it's just the breathing and the stomp grunts.

Jul 18, 2021
The voice direction in 2 is still tough to beat. All of the performances are fantastic and naturalistic and Isaac doesn't walk around talking to himself for the sake of it, which is incredibly refreshing. No "BOY I HOPE THIS LEVER WORKS" or "NOW TO FIND MY WAY TO THE WHATEVER". He talks when he's talking to someone, otherwise it's just the breathing and the stomp grunts.
Exactly. That's what I'm worried about the new Horizon Forbidden West. The character was talking all the time during the gameplay demo. Annoying and just dumb.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I just started playing through Dead Space 3 again for the first time since it came out, with the idea that I'd go in with an open mind and maybe it wasn't as bad as I remembered.

But BOY.

I just got to the flotilla and already the game has a shit ton of problems, only a few of which I've listed below:

- We're just headshotting and gib-stomping regular people now.
- Useless crouch function which makes the waypoint tool take longer to use because now you have to hold it for a second.
- Universal ammo, which I'd forgotten about entirely, and completely negates any tactics to the combat.
- Ellie got slapped into a tits-out shirt and is now just girlfriend squabble material instead of a badass.
- No manual save.
- Puzzles designed for co-op in single player.
- Zero tension of any sort.
- I see the idea behind the weapon crafting system and it has potential but it's all stuffed behind like six different crafting materials so Im just going to make one weapon that does everything and never change anything up ever.

If they honestly intend for Dead Space to return as a regular thing, they need to remake 2, and then just completely shitcan anything related to 3 and do something new.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Exactly. That's what I'm worried about the new Horizon Forbidden West. The character was talking all the time during the gameplay demo. Annoying and just dumb.

They did the same with the reveal for H:ZD. In game it was toned down a lot. I kinda understand why because the "general audience" needs to sort of understand what is going on. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I hope they make a ton of changes to 1 and 2's stories and still arrive at the same everything is fucked ending 3 had lol. It was great.

JankyNedelko

Oct 15, 2020
The Netherlands
Got so stoked for the remake/reimagining that I reinstalled both Dead Space and Dead Space 2 on the XSX. Already clocked over 100+ playthroughs and earned the platinum trophy for both of them back in the day. Shit, Dead Space 2 was my first ever platinum trophy. Now I want to clean up all achievements on the X360 versions!

Don't know if I'll give Dead Space 3 another swing, though. The game balancing and enemy encounter design are damn near broken for solo play. Necromorphs rarely stagger and move twice as fast. The game spawns enemies from your blind spots almost at all times, more than the prior games did combined. I also remember an encounter taking place in small room in which the game said "fuck it" and threw half-a-dozen necromorphs out of the blue. This soured my opinion of the game so much that not even the good bits could save it.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Ugh, DS3 is terrible.

Well, DS3 Story basically is exploring the marker's origins.

Don't know if I'll give Dead Space 3 another swing, though. The game balancing and enemy encounter design are damn near broken for solo play. Necromorphs rarely stagger and move twice as fast. The game spawns enemies from your blind spots almost at all times, more than the prior games did combined. I also remember an encounter taking place in small room in which the game said "fuck it" and threw half-a-dozen necromorphs out of the blue. This soured my opinion of the game so much that not even the good bits could save it.

I really like Coop Side Mission. that should happen in the whole coop campaign.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, having just finished up a replay of the trilogy on Series X, I'd say 1 and 2 hold up really well. Still must plays and I have very little negative things to say about them.

I will say that Severed remains a weird DLC in the sense it very much assumes you've played Extraction, because if you haven't than it doesn't give you much of reason to care about Gabe and Lexine at all. It doesn't really do anything interesting mechanically though, it's just more DS2. Shame we never got any resolution to this side of the story.

I still think 3 is okay for the most part, but some things are way worse than I remember. The love triangle plot is AWFUL and has everyone acting like fools. They kind of give up on encounter design once you reach the planet surface, so they just resort to throwing dozens of enemies at you in small rooms. Also the game is just way too long, it really drags by the end. The flotilla section is still really cool though.