• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
People should know by now that Edge actually does bother using the 1-10 scale in a better way than other outlets. Sometimes I may not agree with their scores, but I was expecting a 7 or something for GoT from them. 6 doesn't seem far-fetched. Will still play it tomorrow and see for myself.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Edge aren't really getting any good scoops anymore...Cover is alright, I much prefer a lot of the official Cyberpunk art though....that seems a bit of overplayed throw back.

Oct 25, 2017
How are you guys surprised by the GoT review? Read the review thread and see the issues reviewers had with it and you can for sure see how Edge could give it that score.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither. Edge are just one of the few games reviewers that use 6/10 as genuinely better than average, or fairly good.
While Edge does generally produce lower than average scores, the average Edge review according to metacritic is a 6.5 out of 10. So I'm not sure a 6 would be better than average even by their metrics.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you going to wait if Paper Mario ever gets to £10?

source.gif

Imma just going to go ahead and report this obviously antagonistic post that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread and if no action is taken feel free to nuke my account into orbit.

Absolutely sick of this nonsense.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What do you mean it's not too surprising? GoT is currently sitting at 85 after 96 reviews on OC.

I know value is subjective but you've got a habit of doing this with Sony exclusives. I remember we had a similar discussion on MediEvil.
Well not only are Edge scores just lower than other publications, they are also harsher than most with generally "safe" games. It doesnt seem very out of character for them.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
for reference Edge gave Days Gone a 5/10

I'm not surprised Edge only gave Ghost of Tsushima a 6/10 based on what the other reviews have said about it

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Why bother coming in here and commenting if you don't?
Every single one doing so and dismissing their score seems to care enough to feel attacked or the need to argue against the score, lmao.
I came in wondering why other people did... apart from they have a cool cover now and then I didn't know the significance.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Just so we're clear, yes, Edge giving a game you like a lower score than you wanted is a personal insult aimed directly at you, the reader.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
How are you guys surprised by the GoT review? Read the review thread and see the issues reviewers had with it and you can for sure see how Edge could give it that score.
Most people just check the scores.
Reading arguments and reasoning in reviews? Pffft.

That's partly the reason why some outlets stopped using review scores too...

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Most people just check the scores.
Reading arguments and reasoning in reviews? Pffft.

That's partly the reason why some outlets stopped using review scores too...

I've noticed that outlets that have abolished review scores seem to feel free to criticize games in depth a lot more. Also people's complaints always gravitate towards the score and not the content of the review. Basically review scores are evil.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I came in wondering why other people did... apart from they have a cool cover now and then I didn't know the significance.
Hm, oh well. Most folks come into Edge threads asking a question like yours just to dismiss its value or significance. Guess I unfairly expected this to be the case here as well, my bad!

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Imma just going to go ahead and report this obviously antagonistic post that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread and if no action is taken feel free to nuke my account into orbit.

Absolutely sick of this nonsense.

Who cares about consistency, right?

Nice backseat modding there btw. I won't report you though.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who cares about consistency, right?

Nice backseat modding there btw. I won't report you though.

I don't care about anything you have to say at this point. I've been jumped on by 2 members for just sharing my opinion in a completely benign way and I'm sick of this as I said. Don't wanna derail the thread any further so obviously you don't need to reply to this.

Oct 27, 2017
People suprised about the Edge rating? They are consistent with their scores. If a game doesn't blow them away it gets a six or even a 5 most of the time. Even though most other reviewers probably love it and give it a 9 or 8.

That's just how they work. A 6 from them is honestly really good.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no paper mario score ?
They didn't review Paper Mario ? I hope for an 8 or something.
next month, most likely.

past paper mario edge scores:
thousand year door - 8
sticker star - 8
color splash - 7
super - 7

That's the first bad Cyberpunk 2077 mag cover I've seen.
yeah, it's not very good :/

I wonder if there's an Edge review for Machinarium for reference.
past amanita games:

machinarium - 8
chuchel - 8
botanicula - 7

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice find! thx

So Creaks might be on par, which is a lot!

I liked Botanicula as well.
i've posted some other reviews here, if you want to check them out.
www.resetera.com

Creaks | Review Thread

Metacritic (PC) (82) Metacritic (PS4) (83) Metacritic (Xbox One) (??) Metacritic (Switch) (??) OpenCritic (80) Eurogamer (recommended): Polygon (recommended): AppUnwrapper (no score): Wccftech (9.5/10): PlayStation Universe (9.5/10): Gameffine (9.5/10): Bazimag (9.2/10, review in...

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
You're imagining things. That's all I have to say about that.
I won't take your word for it, but ok.
Well not only are Edge scores just lower than other publications, they are also harsher than most with generally "safe" games. It doesnt seem very out of character for them.
Yeah I agree with what you're saying. Edge does come across rather harsh in their reviews. But I'm not fussed, they've finished it, I haven't even installed it.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
i've posted some other reviews here, if you want to check them out.
www.resetera.com

Creaks | Review Thread

Metacritic (PC) (82) Metacritic (PS4) (83) Metacritic (Xbox One) (??) Metacritic (Switch) (??) OpenCritic (80) Eurogamer (recommended): Polygon (recommended): AppUnwrapper (no score): Wccftech (9.5/10): PlayStation Universe (9.5/10): Gameffine (9.5/10): Bazimag (9.2/10, review in...

Great, didn't know there were more reviews, gonna check them out. I'll get the game probably in August, gotta decide on which platform.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
I'd be more surprised by Edge giving Ghosts of Tsushima a score >7 than I am by it getting a 6. Everything about it screams 'Edge 6/10'.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Valorant score seems premature. The game in its current state needs some tweaking and adjustments of not just hero abilities but also map design/layout. Honestly, it's probably the most "boring" game among them (Disclaimer: IMO).

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Wouldn't be an Edge thread without a tired 'edgy' joke and an insinuation of bias towards certain developers on the first page!

Anyway, always nice to see an Amanita Design game received well - didn't realise Edge had never actually reviewed Machinarium but it seems like they quite like what the studio produces.

Interested to see what they have to say about Paper Mario in the next issue

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Valorant score seems premature. The game in its current state needs some tweaking and adjustments of not just hero abilities but also map design/layout. Honestly, it's probably the most "boring" game among them (Disclaimer: IMO).
I mean, the game is completely out in full release. I dont think reviewers should have to wait an arbitrary amount of time to give their review on it given that this version is what is out to the public and what everyone can play.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Using the full scale a 6/10 is better than average. It looks to be a very derivative game so it lines up with their views.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't that interesting a read to be honest. It's two pages of text, four in total. Mostly discussing similarities to the Souls games with regard to level design and checkpointing. Then a bit confirming that yes, the Ashtray Maze is indeed cool.
That's... very disappointing. Especially for an intriguing game like Control I had hoped they'd reveal some actual interesting goodies.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Same score as Death Stranding and one point more than Days Gone. A 6 is pretty good from them, all things considered.
Looking forward to reading their review. Is there a special subscriber cover this month?

Often times the 'Postscript' next to the review is often more interesting than the review itself.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Monthly reminder a 6 from Edge generally means "Competent"
The higher ones are "Distinguished (7), Excellent (8), Astounding (9), Revolutionary (10)
But then I saw they dropped the words for just a point scale awhile back lol.
Anyways, 6 is above average. Assassin's Creed Origin got a 6, and Odyssey a 7.
So, you know, in the ballpark of the new AC games (which I really enjoyed) which is exactly how I thought
and what I said they day they did that gameplay overview a few weeks ago.

Bummer at no Paper Mario score. Edge gave Color Splash a 7, so I'm expecting something around there maybe an 8 if they really love the puzzle battles because most everything else looks on point.

I saw Creaks on Apple Arcade today and did not know what it was lol. I'll be downloading that tonight as i adored Machinarium (even bought the soundtrack on vinyl. so good)

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I just read the review of GoT - they basically paint the game as being incredibly pretty with a rather uninspired story and gameplay.

"Its story is excessively maudlin and send-serious to the point of pomposity - it's no exaggeration to say Naughty Dog gave us more laughs."

In the post scripts they are having shots at the game introducing Haiku as historically innacurate (game takes place 4 centuries before the form developed), other points being that the game is just a standard run of the mill open world game with no meaningful reason for it being a sandbox in the first place:

"Instead, we look at the messy mob combat and the rudimentary stealth, and realise that had Ghost of Tsushima been released four or five years ago as an Assasin's Creed game, few would have batted an eyelid."

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
8 for Creaks is hype.

6 for Tsushima is honestly surprising. Not even very invested tbh, but I thought a 7 would sort of be the low end for a game like this.
Still gonna check it out, although it will probably be on PS5.