• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. This surely won't impact already severely short staffed hospital workers.
For some idiotic reason these advisory panels only seem to care about severe illness, clearly waning protection from infection and "mild-moderate" illness is totally fine!

This whole booster saga is just a trainwreck, just open it up for everyone since there is essentially no verification for any of these specified groups anyways.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
For those keeping score *face palm*
FAAKeUGVQAwC9sD

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
My hospital has 1 to 2 vaccinated staff a week turning up positive. I really don't get this decision.
They're mostly focused on hospitalizations and severe cases, not merely positive cases among the vaccinated.

Just not enough data for them for the latter to want to risk it for people not with a health risk if they just have to deal with no symptoms to mild-moderate.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
They're mostly focused on hospitalizations and severe cases, not merely positive cases among the vaccinated.

Just not enough data for them for the latter to want to risk it for people not with a health risk if they just have to deal with no symptoms to mild-moderate.
I agree in theory but you can't work when sick. We are short staffed as it is without people staying home with Covid. Prevention of infection in healthcare workers should be a priority.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Update seems reasonable. Same thing is happening here in British Columbia Canada. Only High risk seniors and getting the booster.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
For those keeping score *face palm*
FAAKeUGVQAwC9sD

the thing that stands out to me is how backward this process seems?

Why does an intention come from the White House and then go to the health authorities?

Seems like it just allows confusion to reign because presumably the people making those earlier calls are not experts

iirc how it worked here in England, it went to our medicines regulator, then it went to a vaccination committee, and the chief medical officer, then the politicians decided on a plan of action based on their recommendations

Oct 25, 2017

cool cool. So who is going to take care of those with severe symptoms when the short staffed hospitals are even more short staffed because some of their workers can't come in due to mild-moderate symptoms?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like by blocking the ability to take a booster due to some theoretical risk of side effects, they're putting some groups at more risk from COVID, especially those who have to interface with the public or other high-risk groups. Really questionable decisions here.

Last edited:

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
So basically i have to just look out for myself and just get a booster anyways since these goofs can't agree on anything

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
the thing that stands out to me is how backward this process seems?

Why does an intention come from the White House and then go to the health authorities?

Seems like it just allows confusion to reign because presumably the people making those earlier calls are not experts

iirc how it worked here in England, it went to our medicines regulator, then it went to a vaccination committee, and the chief medical officer, then the politicians decided on a plan of action based on their recommendations

WH definitely fucked up. But then again, all I saw over the summer was the U.S. local news going "but what about boosters?!?" so they were feeling heat on getting a message out.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Some good news. CDC Advisory panel overruled.
apnews.com

CDC leader adds people with risky jobs to COVID booster list

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has endorsed COVID-19 booster shots for millions of older or otherwise vulnerable Americans.
However, Walensky decided to make one recommendation that the panel had rejected.

The panel on Thursday voted against saying that people can get a booster if they are ages 18 to 64 years and are health-care workers or have another job that puts them at increased risk of being exposed to the virus.

But Walensky disagreed and put that recommendation back in, noting that such a move aligns with an FDA booster authorization decision earlier this week. The category she included covers people who live in institutional settings that increase their risk of exposure, such as prisons or homeless shelters, as well as health care workers.
The panel had offered the option of a booster for those ages 18 to 49 who have chronic health problems and want one. But the advisers refused to go further and open boosters to otherwise healthy front-line health care workers who aren't at risk of severe illness but want to avoid even a mild infection.

The panel voted 9 to 6 to reject that proposal. But Walensky decided to disregard the advisory committee's counsel on that issue. In a decision several hours after the panel adjourned, Walensky issued a statement saying she had restored the recommendation.

Oct 27, 2017
Vaccines should be sent to developing countries before 1st world country boost their under 65+s.

Otherwise you're just rolling more dice for variants. And its the right thing to do.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so the moderna shot has an eua already for the immuno compromised?

Edit: I mean for a third dose

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Walensky overrode the decision on giving healthcare workers a booster. Our healthcare system is already fucked enough without hospitals having to deal with many doctors and nurses quarantined for 10+ days.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
cool cool. So who is going to take care of those with severe symptoms when the short staffed hospitals are even more short staffed because some of their workers can't come in due to mild-moderate symptoms?
Why are you asking me? I'm just saying that was their reasoning going against it.

Luckily, Walensky overruled them.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting boosters while my coworkers scramble to figure out a medical/religious exemption, pretty soon I'll be employee of the month.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I'm eligible for a booster for sure now? (I'm a nurse in an inpatient hospital btw)
Seems like you could go to Walgreens tommorow, along with any other essential workers.

Walgreens Boots Alliance | Walgreens Boots Alliance

Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Is a Trusted, Global Innovator in Retail Pharmacy. WBA’s purpose is to create more joyful lives through better health.

Beginning tomorrow, appointments for a COVID-19 booster shot and additional immunizations can be scheduled through Walgreens.com/ScheduleVaccine, by calling 1-800-Walgreens or by calling a local Walgreens store.

Eligible individuals can receive their booster shot at least six months after they completed their Pfizer COVID-19 primary vaccine series.

Booster Eligibility
The following populations are eligible to receive a booster dose at this time:
  • Individuals ages 65 and older.
  • Long-term care facility residents ages 18 and older.
  • Individuals ages 18 and older with underlying medical conditions. Individuals ages 18 – 49 should consider individual benefits and risks, according to CDC guidance.
  • Individuals ages 18-64 who are at an increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting, such as healthcare and essential workers

Nov 7, 2017
You do have to attest that you are eligible for a booster (immunocompromised, 65 and older etc) but there really isn't a hard check. If you can live with that then set up an appointment with CVS/Walgreens

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
On the list of increased risk are very common things like high blood pressure and asthma, so a LOT of people officially qualify for a booster.