• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
An influential Food and Drug Administration advisory committee on Friday rejected a plan to administer booster shots of Pfizer and BioNTech's Covid-19 vaccine to the general public, saying they needed more data.

The panel, however, could still clear the shots for older populations. Scientists continued debating the need for a third dose of the vaccines for people 60 and older after their initial vote, leaving open the possibility of other votes.

The nonbinding decision by the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee comes as the Biden administration has said it wants to begin offering booster shots to the general public as early as next week, pending authorization from U.S. health regulators. While the agency hasn't always followed the advice of its committee, it often does. A final FDA decision could come in a matter of hours. The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention has scheduled a two-day meeting next week to discuss plans to distribute the third shots in the U.S.
The committee vote was expected to be a controversial one as some scientists, including two senior FDA officials who were involved in the meeting Friday, have said they aren't entirely convinced every American who has received the Pfizer vaccine needs extra doses right now.

In a paper published days before the advisory committee meeting, a leading group of scientists said available data showed vaccine protection against severe disease persists, even as the effectiveness against mild disease wanes over time. The authors, including two high-ranking FDA officials and multiple scientists from the World Health Organization, argued Monday in the medical journal The Lancet that widely distributing booster shots to the general public is not appropriate at this time.

www.cnbc.com

FDA panel recommends Pfizer's Covid booster doses for people 65 and older after rejecting third shots for general population

Scientists continued debating the need for a third dose of the vaccines for older Americans, leaving open the possibility of other votes.

Bloomberg states the vote was 16-2 against.

www.bloomberg.com

FDA Panel Backs Pfizer Booster for 65 and Up, Rejects Broad Use

The Covid-19 vaccine booster shot proposed by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE should be given to older Americans and those at high risk, a panel of expert advisers to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said, rejecting a request for broader distribution.

The FDA had asked the advisory panel to vote on whether the safety and effectiveness data submitted by the companies support approval of a booster dose for people age 16 and up. Panelists are discussing narrower options after rejecting that proposal in a 16-2 vote.

Some of the panelists indicated that while they see a potential need for older or other more vulnerable groups to receive a third dose, the need for younger people could be less pressing, and may pose other medical risks.

UPDATE: Boosters approved for those 65 and older. Rejected for general public / under 65 unless high risk.

Last edited:

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
A bit surprised by this one. Did Biden jump the gun with his booster plan?

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
U.S fucks up again in response to COVID, shouldn't really be surprising. Israel shows boosters are extremely helpful.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So I DON'T need a booster then?

Thought about getting it to be on the safe side.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if they approve it for the 60+ community.

My mother who is over 60 and is immunocompromised got her booster a couple weeks ago.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I don't agree with the decision given immunity is waning over time in regard to preventing infection + delta is more infectious and evades the vaccine more. Plus other countries like Israel show a 3rd shot helps a lot

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know what's ever more effective than a booster shot? Making sure unvaccinated people get their shots. I know it's up to every single person, but there isn't an individual exit from a collective problem.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Do you know what's ever more effective than a booster shot? Making sure unvaccinated people get their shots. I know it's up to every single person, but there isn't an individual exit from a collective problem.

Would help to send vaccines to poor countries that can't buy them.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with the decision given immunity is waning over time in regard to preventing infection + delta is more infectious and evades the vaccine more. Plus other countries like Israel show a 3rd shot helps a lot
It seems the data is not all there in the need of the booster shot,

I wonder if there's a danger to the use of multiple shots or if it gets to the point that it doesn't work anymore

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Interesting. Honestly, though, the presenter from Israel talked about it helped with their hospital capacity issues there but as ours are primarily driven by the unvaccinated, it doesn't seem like it would move the needle on that problem much. We simply need to get people vaccinated.

Not to mention, it seems like Israel has had some wonky data compared to other countries so it's hard to say what's going on.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel better about this if the denial was about getting more of the vaccine to countries that don't have it yet but somehow I doubt that's the case.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the FDA. It's not like the unvaccinated are fighting to get vaccinated, so the people who are doing the right thing should be offered the extra protection.

We're going to need it at this point to keep us safe from the unvaccinated.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
It seems the data is not all there in the need of the booster shot,

I wonder if there's a danger to the use of multiple shots or if it gets to the point that it doesn't work anymore
Yeah its still early but the data coming out of Israel shows that a 3rd shot helps.

Honestly they should've just updated the shot to better combat against delta like they do with the flu, instead of just administering the same vaccine.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Fuck the FDA. It's not like the unvaccinated are fighting to get vaccinated, so the people who are doing the right thing should be offered the extra protection.

We're going to need it at this point to keep us safe from the unvaccinated.

I actually know a lot of people not immunocompromised who got their boosters already since most pharmacies really don't care at this point.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Probably for the best for the time being, especially since they need more data. Don't want to rush it out and find some unintended issues that would harm trust in the vaccine or its distributors.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I'm curious - why does the FDA decide on this and not the CDC? Genuinely not sure of the difference between the two on this area in particular.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
what about the data from other countries which shows that a two dose regimen is still holding up extremely well?
No one besides Israel is really in position to talk about waning effectiveness since they were the first country with mass vaccination so they have the most data over time and they stayed at the 3 week interval between shots unlike the UK.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we should be helping out poorer countries rather than be giving millions of Americans a 3rd shot.

Oct 25, 2017
Good. The US should send vaccines to Africa, India and other places with low vaccination rates, that will do a better job of protecting Americans than a third dose for 13 year olds.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this bullshit. My 85+ year old grandparents were vaccinated in JANUARY.

At least let 80+ year olds get a booster smh.

meanwhile how many imbeciles still haven't and won't take a shot in the USA

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's the right call.

An otherwise healthy 25-year-old shouldn't be getting a 3rd shot when you have people in other countries who can't even get a first shot.

There was also a recent report that part of the reason the UK and Canada are holding up better versus Delta is because the dosing break between dose 1 and 2 were longer in those countries ... so this may have more to do with countries like the US and Israel adhering to the 3 month gap too stringently.

That may end well end up being the actual issue.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to the arguments and all. Extremely disappointed. One of the doctors working at a children's hospital spoke, flat out told them he'll be getting his 3rd shot off label due to what he's seeing. Irrational fear of myocardiotis and bundling 16-64 as a single group. Rest of the doctors are basically 65+ and sitting on boards to make big decisions. They're going to take a vote on the 65+ crowd which sounds like it'll be approved. Self preservation much?

I feel like we should be helping out poorer countries rather than be giving millions of Americans a 3rd shot.

We already are.

what the fuck are you talking about. FDA is the gold standard when it comes to regulatory approvals. If the scientists are telling you to pump the breaks at that margin, you pump the god damn breaks

Throughout the whole pandemic they've been overly cautious against a fast-moving threat, and this is just another example. They aren't moving fast enough given the stakes IMO.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm surprised. Here in the UK the Pfizer boosters are going ahead for all over 50s. Wonder what the FDA knows that the MHRA doesn't (or vice versa).

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
This will be really fucking fun to argue with people about.

What the fuck happened here?

edit: just to clarify, the science is what we should follow 100% but the word out of the CDC has been get ready for the booster.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I think this makes a lot of sense especially if they approve it for older folks in the near future. Young heathy people don't need boosters at this point. There is nothing to indicate they do.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah we really should be pushing a good portion of these vaccines to other countries instead.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
How much more fucking data do they need?? Two huge L's for the US today, between the botched drone strike and now this.

Greenlight the fucking booster…

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah its still early but the data coming out of Israel shows that a 3rd shot helps.

Honestly they should've just updated the shot to better combat against delta like they do with the flu, instead of just administering the same vaccine.

The thing everyone ignores is that using antibody levels to determine immunity isn't accurate, so this waning of them isn't the end all be all.

I actually know a lot of people not immunocompromised who got their boosters already since most pharmacies really don't care at this point.
3rd dose for that group was given EUA a while ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to the arguments and all. Extremely disappointed. One of the doctors working at a children's hospital spoke, flat out told them he'll be getting his 3rd shot off label due to what he's seeing. Irrational fear of myocardiotis and bundling 16-64 as a single group. Rest of the doctors are basically 65+ and sitting on boards to make big decisions. They're going to take a vote on the 65+ crowd which sounds like it'll be approved. Self preservation much?

We already are.

Throughout the whole pandemic they've been overly cautious against a fast-moving threat, and this is just another example. They aren't moving fast enough given the stakes IMO.

It is not self-persevation, it is biological fact that older people have weaker immune systems and so need a booster. There is no evidence even from Israel as of yet that under 50s have a decline in their immunity wrt hospitalizations/death.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My Dad is 71 with Diabetes and Parkinson's, and was vaccinated back in March, the data is clear that elderly and high risk people like him need the Booster. What is wrong with these people???