Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand, didn't they say booster shots were already approved and people could go and get them at the 6 month mark from the original shot?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Uh, this will make some people even more insufferable I think.

I already got my booster shot, hope you people in the US get yours soon.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
My mom was convinced I would die from second shot and even more from a booster so I bet she's happy. I'm kinda disappointed tho as I want that damn booster!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Healthy 35 year olds in the US should not be getting 3rd doses before a 70 year old in another country can even get one.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
My Dad is 71 with Diabetes and Parkinson's, and was vaccinated back in March, the data is clear that elderly and high risk people like him need the Booster. What is wrong with these people???
They are still debating for older population. This was for all current age groups.
The panel, however, could still clear the shots for older populations.
title is a bit misleading

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they haven't required J&J to get a second dose yet then it doesn't make sense for a 3rd one on the others

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Probably for the best. I got my third shot last month and lugging around these testicles is a pain.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised. Here in the UK the Pfizer boosters are going ahead for all over 50s. Wonder what the FDA knows that the MHRA doesn't (or vice versa).

nah, that makes sense because it's storing up defences for the more vulnerable over a winter period

but if the vaccine is holding up extremely well, then I'm not sure why an 18 year old also needs a third dose

I suspect the US will have a booster program - just more limited like other places!

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

But not enough to make a difference:

arstechnica.com

“Appalled” by rich countries hogging vaccines, WHO extends booster moratorium

No more promises, we just want vaccines for low-income countries, WHO director says.
High-income countries have promised to donate more than 1 billion doses, but less than 15 percent of those doses have materialized, Dr. Tedros added. And while low-income countries have been rolling out the doses they have been able to get, the supply is highly constrained. "Because manufacturers have prioritized or been legally obliged to fulfill bilateral deals with rich countries willing to pay top dollar, low-income countries have been deprived of the tools to protect their people," Dr. Tedros said.

Rich countries definitely should make sure the world is fully vaccinated before even considering giving a third dose to their general population. This booster shot will be pretty useless if more dangerous variants appear because low-income countries couldn't vaccinate their people due to high-income countries hoarding all the doses.

From the same article about WHO's position:
Meanwhile, in low-income countries, initial doses of vaccines have yet to reach even the elderly and frontline health workers—those most vulnerable to severe outcomes and death. In a press briefing earlier this month, the executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Programme, Mike Ryan, likened giving boosters in high-income countries to "hand[ing] out extra life jackets to people who already have life jackets while we're leaving other people to drown."
Another argument against booster doses is that they won't make the world safer, the WHO says. As long as the pandemic coronavirus has largely unvaccinated countries in which to thrive, it will pose a risk to every country. Transmission can easily spread over borders, and high-transmission areas are breeding grounds for new variants, potentially some that could thwart our current generation of vaccines.
"Saying that no one is safe until everyone is safe—it's not a slogan, it's science," O'Brien said.

Also:
The WHO maintains that, so far, clinical evidence does not indicate that booster doses are needed to prevent severe outcomes and death from COVID-19, a point that US officials do not dispute. "The vaccines are holding up very, very well against the severe end of the disease spectrum," Kate O'Brien, director of the WHO's Department of Immunization, Vaccines, and Biologicals, said in a press briefing Wednesday. "We're not asking to withhold something for which there is a strong set of evidence that it is needed."

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Honestly it's fine for now. We need to get our base vaccination rates up, and we need more studies to show the true benefits.

Remember that boosters are already approved for immunocompromised people.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
I got the booster shot but I'm regularly intubating Covid patients so I felt it was worth it for me.

This is an interesting decision though. I have to wonder how much weight the global distribution of vaccines weighs into this decision.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Focusing on boosters for the general population seems foolish when the virus is ravaging the unvaccinated. All of our real-world data on hospitalizations and death says that the vaccines are still powerful protections. It's 100% the unvaccinated that are the problem and should be the focus imo. They are the ones getting sick, going to the hospital, and spreading it. Why work the margins when you have this massive group that's the primary driver of the problem?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What about JJ recipients? I feel like the nature of that shot is much different. Are they discussing what we should do?

www.cnbc.com

U.S. will begin wide distribution of Covid booster shots next month, saying vaccine protection wanes over time

U.S. agencies are preparing to offer booster shots to all eligible Americans beginning the week of Sept. 20.

While they said recipients of Johnson & Johnson's single-shot vaccine will likely need boosters, they are awaiting more data in the next few weeks before making a formal recommendation.

That was a month ago.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The best way to contain the pandemic is to ensure the entire world is vaccinated, not hoarding the vaccines white majority countries have so that pharmaceuticals can make bank.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
UK has started giving boosters to over 50s so I guess more data is incoming.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
My parents already got their boosters luckily
I'm curious about this - how? Isn't it not approved yet or is it emergency authorized at this point?

It just seems like I started randomly seeing people getting boosters out of nowhere when there seemingly hasn't been an official "here is the booster shot and ____ people can get it"

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
They are still debating for older population. This was for all current age groups.

title is a bit misleading
I see, let's hope they approve them for the elderly then. I don't care about myself getting a booster, I just want my Dad to be able to get it. I feel like the data is clear at this that there is a noticeable drop in protection for the elderly past 6 months.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Are there even any studies that show that hospitalization / IC prevention percentage goes up more than a couple of percents for healthy / younger people when time passes after vaccination? I haven't seen it yet.

This is great news, stop hoarding all the vaccines in the west and spread it to countries in need. Healthy / young people should be grateful for the protection we already got now.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is like a reverse anti-vaccine thread. People think they know more about vaccines than the experts, which are who we depended on in the first place.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
I'm curious about this - how? Isn't it not approved yet or is it emergency authorized at this point?

It just seems like I started randomly seeing people getting boosters out of nowhere when there seemingly hasn't been an official "here is the booster shot and ____ people can get it"
You can get it if you immune compromised. Mom is immune compromised and my dad got it too since they live together

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
They have some of the most in-depth data in the world on the effectiveness of Pfizer and are in a unique position to see waning immunity first. Ignoring their data is idiotic.

i dunno, i don't feel like their data is in-depth at all. they tend not to show their work and only share their conclusions, so its hard to make heads or tails of anything.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
UK has started giving boosters to over 50s so I guess more data is incoming.
The US will almost certainly follow suit, but it's important to realise why the UK is doing this. Stopping infections is a fool's errand now, so the UK is focusing its booster programme on people who are statistically at the greatest risk of severe illness or death. They're not doing it to stop people getting COVID; they're doing it to stop people from dying from it.

Population-wide boosters are targeted at the wrong aim: trying to prevent people who have minimal risk of severe disease from catching COVID. That's why the risk / benefit equation looks different for third doses versus first / second doses - not because the risk has fundamentally changed for young, healthy people, but because the benefit is potentially not much of a benefit at all.

Lunzio

Oct 28, 2017
Surprising but also .. not. I do wish for those that are vulnerable/working with the vulnerable to have some approved booster soon. As a HCW with their first dose back in December... could use a morale boost as well.

EDIT: seems like half my wish may be granted? #stillmodernagangtho

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Getting vaccines in the arms of the unvaccinated worldwide is a lot more effective at stopping the pandemic. The pandemic is still fueled by the unvaccinated. You'll get a lot less breakthrough cases in vaccinated if you get less unvaccinated people in general because the virus is around a lot less.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
This seems like a reasonable course of action. Biden admin jumping the gun on this was sloppy as fuck.

I can think of a couple friends on Pfizer who are going to be extremely upset by this news. They have been chomping at the bit for boosters.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I fear that a year from now, we will look back on this with the same hindsight that we now have for the original messaging on masks ("not proven out, only needed for medical pros") and the droplet / aerosol debate ("6 feet is enough, it doesn't linger in the air").

I understand that the panel wants more data, but I worry that by the time we meet the standard of proof they are looking for, breakthrough cases will be contributing significantly to US case and death totals during the winter months. I hope those worries prove unfounded.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
where the hell are we with people under 16. My 9 year old keeps me up at night.
Data for 5-12 is submitted to the FDA. 12+ is approved.

I fear that a year from now, we will look back on this with the same hindsight that we now have for the original messaging on masks ("not proven out, only needed for medical pros") and the droplet / aerosol debate ("6 feet is enough, it doesn't linger in the air").

I understand that the panel wants more data, but I worry that by the time we meet the standard of proof they are looking for, breakthrough cases will be contributing significantly to US case and death totals during the winter months. I hope those worries prove unfounded.
Putting a booster into a person means not putting that same shot in someone unvaccinated.