IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Are we just getting less talented in general?
Honestly, I don't think so. I think creativity is actually at an all time high right now but the problem is that these Movie Studios are so focused on the bottom line (money), that they end up sucking away all the life or passion out of these movies before they're finished due to wanting to rush these products out as quick as possible. If everyone involved in the creation of these movies were given the time they need to properly finish these movies, we'd likely see a stark difference in the quality of movies today. But, as we know, these studios don't care because all they're thinking about is maximizing profits, which means everyone involved with and everything in these movies suffer along the way.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thats different as it was a bit darker and tackled more mature subject matter in a non-Disney kid way. Maybe sympathy wasn't the right word, instead I should've said it would be difficult to make the evil character moderately likable and show them in a positive light so that the audience is "rooting" for them.
Cruella is a character who's whole thing is slaughtering a litter of puppies to make a coat... right? I don't know if she's sympathetic haha

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Cruella is a character who's whole thing is slaughtering a litter of puppies to make a coat... right? I don't know if she's sympathetic haha

Hence "Maybe sympathy wasn't the right word,"

Anyways...wasn't saying the characters themselves are sympathetic but that the audience was intended to feel sympathy for them at some point.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Im not 100% familiar with the characters but Scar seemed a bit more evil than Cruella and Mal. I can't imagine trying to portray him in any kind of likable way.
Cruella had no redeemable qualities about her in the original. They made them up for the movie about her past and put in a woman (Emma Thompson) that seemed way more like Cruella than Cruella herself in her own movie. They could make some shit up.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Iger should have canned this one. Yes I know the remake made a ton of money (sadly), but somehow I don't think this one will.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Cruella had no redeemable qualities about her in the original. They made them up for the movie about her past and put in a woman (Emma Thompson) that seemed way more like Cruella than Cruella herself in her own movie. They could make some shit up.

I'm not talking about the original movies but ya, I guess for people new to the movies that would be ok, but for older people who have seen the original movies it's a little odd. Anyways I like the new Cruella movie but the point is Scar is on another level of evil and would be weird to have a Cruella equivalent movie for him.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they fix the emotionless cold dead eyes they had in the original live action

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This films is actually going to do the whole "Want to know how I got this Scar?" storyline and I hate it.

Yes, I know The Lion Guard already covered it, you really think they are going to do Lion Guard callbacks for this film?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
gp1Q0S5.jpeg
63a99396-7aee-49ac-9ea2-1f3f4df3d863_text.gif

This films is actually going to do the whole "Want to know how I got this Scar?" storyline and I hate it.

it's funny cuz it's true

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a lion in that picture?

Needs a red circle and some arrows.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So is the plot some other lion came into Mufasa and scar's fathers territory and killed him and maybe their sisters too and their mom manages to hide them until they are big enough to escape, and Mufasa has a hang up so he plans on keeping his male children in the pride until his death as heirs instead of kicking them out when they are big enough?

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
There's ANOTHER one?

Well, I didn't see the first live-action remake and I'll probably sit this one out too.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Sort of surprised they didn't do a young Scar movie, like they did with Cruella and Malifecent.

Either way, that looks awful, and no thanks.

Who says that ain't next? Why stop there?

Scar prequel.

Midquel about Simba, Timon and Puumba during the time skip.

Prequel trilogy about Rafiki.

Animated remake of the Lion King itself! Live action remake of the animated Lion King remake! Somebody get me a studio job!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hence "Maybe sympathy wasn't the right word,"

Anyways...wasn't saying the characters themselves are sympathetic but that the audience was intended to feel sympathy for them at some point.
I feel you. To be clear, I don't love the "here's the villain's origin story!" movie trend. I guess my argument here is more that the train has left the station on whether or not they should be making villain origin movies, and a creative enough writer could probably make a young Scar story "work".

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will be honest, there is at least potential for this film to do something interesting, it has to come up with it's on plot and storyline. Even the hook that it's a story told by Rafiki to Kiara with Timon and Pumbaa interrupting in to add colour commentary (Going by what Wikipedia says), has potential especially if what Timon and Pumbaa actually affect what we shall see on the screen.

The concern of course is if this film is actually going to use that potential at all or not. And after the first film, I have very big doubts on that.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I have an exclusive second shot of the movie here that definitely isn't just the first google image result for "a lion" please enjoy:

1200px-Lion_waiting_in_Namibia.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Thats different as it was a bit darker and tackled more mature subject matter in a non-Disney kid way. Maybe sympathy wasn't the right word, instead I should've said it would be difficult to make the evil character moderately likable and show them in a positive light so that the audience is "rooting" for them.

Surefire way to get someone to root for an evil/morally bankrupt character is to introduce an even bigger piece of shit.

Another way to to it is to add another layer to the character that isn't about reinforcing the audience's revulsion. A villain that fucks shit up in the morning but still makes time to take care of his kids at night is the type of shit people love.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Love how everything is just endless franchising and origin stories. I know that's kinda Disney's bread and butter, but this just feels unnecessary.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will only accept this if it turns out to be an adaptation of King Lear or Julius Caesar.

I will also take Love's Labour's Lost, wherein CGI Mufasa and his pals swears off lionesses for a year so they can study, but then they fall in love with a group of lionesses and hilarity ensues.

Oct 27, 2017
Mufasa needs a backstory like Robert Baratheon, leading a bloody revolt against the previous dynasty that had been in place for a long time to become king. They call him the usurper behind his back.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
More realistic and thusly unemotional lions working through emotional story beats? Sign me up!